3M Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 22 Jan 2021

4.0
3M CEO Mike Roman
Mike Roman
Pros
  • "3M offers a great work environment(in 167 reviews)

• "Good benefits, life/work balance, tools for innovation(in 147 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a little difficult at first but you get a rhythm(in 58 reviews)

• "Lack of diversity in upper management(in 51 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Brilliant People, Antiquated Corporate Policies

22 Jan 2021 - Senior Automation Engineer in Silver Spring, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some of the most amazing and intelligent Engineers I've ever had the pleasure of working with have been on my team and sister teams - HIS Division functions a bit like a start-up : laid back, able to control your own sprint items/research items, lots of freedom with AWS/tech stacks (although that can be from team to team) - Decent Healthcare - Time off is lackluster unless you get a boost because of where you live, then it's awesome - Sick time is pretty stellar - 401K Match is decent + StockOptions are a nice perk - Most of the functional teams who lack the software/cloud knowledge are really trying to come up to speed; there are lot of good people working really hard to grow/be better in the software cloud space. (But, lots of managers who aren't want to put down others and get defensive).

Cons

- Still a pretty heavy white Boys club, especially in upper management. There are some female/non-white/non-binary faces, but not enough throughout the org, ESPECIALLY in engineering - The Job function structure is opaque, I've interviewed people who were to be in a grade above me with less experience in my skill set - A lot of the brilliant engineers I've worked with are actually Contractors/employees of Stelligent, so they don't stick around - 3M HIS seems to have trouble hiring/finding talent for some reason--HR I think doesn't know how to recruit Software Engineering folks, so a lot of Managers and team leads are doing double duty finding people. Hiring process is SUppppppper slow/drawn out/unorganized so we lose candidates before we can even interview them - Definite disconnect between the actual engineers and management who controls our destiny (I get the sense that no one read my resume/I've gotten silo-ed/forgotten) - Corporate policies are still not quite there with functioning like a software company - There's no on-call : the reason this is a negative is because they haven't designed it yet. The teams are really advanced/accelerated in some aspects and in the dark ages in others. (Advance CICD/IaC, yet no ops support, and the cloud security team is completely lost).I can see this coming back to bite 3M when the SLAs/apps get more attention by users. Some managers are trying to fix this. . . - whenever corporate networking has to get involved, it's a power struggle. They don't understand cloud and generally behave like the 1990s with IP space requests; there's a definite sense of some teams feeling threatened outside our little engineering/devops bubble - education reimbursement is pint-sized compared to company size

Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Similar to Frat or Sorority - Management not fit to Manage

12 Jun 2020 - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits and BIG Company so you can move around once you get tired of management

Cons

Under paid everywhere. Women have to fight 3x as hard to get promoted. Minorities are hard to come by in this company. It is a Boys Frat Club in upper management. If your parent worked for 3M, doesn't matter if you know what 2+2 is, you are bound to get hired and promoted faster than more capable people and WOMEN.

6 people found this review helpful

Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear that you feel as though women are not treated the same at men at 3M. We want all employees to be treated equally, and we would recommend sitting down with your HR partner to discuss your concerns. We’ve established a goal to double the pipeline of diverse talent in management by 2025 across all countries because we know that a diverse, global workforce helps us relate more closely to the needs of all 3M customers, suppliers and channel partners around the world. Our workforce diversity is currently 42.1%, and we're committed to doing even more. For more information on our commitment to D&I, please visit the Diversity and Inclusion page on 3M.com/Careers.

3. 4.0
      Former Intern, more than 1 year

Helpful Engineering Team

9 Jun 2020 - Engineering Co-Op in Bismarck, ND
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is good at hiring and providing opportunities for college students. There was a lot of independance and freedom in my internship job. My fellow engineering team was very kind and helpful to provide some direction. There is opportunities to provide advice for improvements.

Cons

There is a divide between upper management and the floor since upper managers are rarely seen out on the floor. I didn't have a clear job description or acomplishment goal when hired.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good pay for easy work

11 Oct 2020 - Student in DeKalb, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and plenty of hours

Cons

Often had mandatory overtime. Upper management cares more about turning out product than they care about employees

Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you felt as though management cares more about products than employees, and really appreciate you sharing this with us.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

A Cesspool of corruption and revolving door

7 Aug 2020 - Warehouse Worker in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and benefits are greater than other places in the area...not really saying much..

Cons

Forced Overtime is a major problem here, especially during the summer. They do not know how to staff correctly to obtain a good work/life balance. Warehouse workers are forced to endure long hours, short breaks and lunch periods, favoritism, awful treatment from unqualified leads, terrible supervisors, unbelievably complacent HR, an awful and inaccurate productivity system. They don't listen to any ideas or improvements, and constantly blame warehouse workers for their ineptitude in the office and poor warehouse management systems. All decisions are made by those who have never worked in the warehouse, and frankly, do not care about us at all. When the pandemic hit, we were declared essential workers and forced into ridiculous safety protocols, but no haz pay. They don't even care if we die. There is no recognition at all. Those who try to work hard are not rewarded. Most of the people who don't work get better positions and higher pay. It is all about kissing butt. It is a dead end job really. Communication is pretty much non-existent. Upper management all the way down to lead operators all need basic communication classes, psycho therapy, and taught how to treat people in a decent manner. The warehouse management systems they use are slow and buggy. They also use outdated equipment that is used 24 hours a day/7 days a week. All in all... Stay away from here...

4 people found this review helpful

Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear that you feel as though you are not valued and are very concerned by some of the items you’ve listed here. We want you to know that our employees’ safety is of the utmost priority, and we have implemented protocols like the ones you mentioned to make the environment you work in as safe as possible. We value your input, and would recommend you reach out to your Manager or HR so we can speak with you about your concerns in detail. This review has also been passed on to HR in DeKalb for their awareness. We are incredibly grateful for all of our essential workers and the hard work you all have been putting in, and really appreciate you sharing these concerns with us.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

3M

14 Oct 2020 - 3M Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

Cons

little career options available, upper management

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

meh

29 Jul 2020 - Advanced Process Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, decent starting pay, cool products

Cons

Poor upper management, bureaucracy, slow moving, poor raises and bonuses

2 people found this review helpful

Employment Brand Team

Hello, Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great diverse company

5 Mar 2020 - Supply Chain Manager in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees, benefits, positive culture

Cons

Lack of diversity in upper management

9. 4.0
      Former Contractor

It gave me great job experience

14 Sep 2019 - Quality Assurance Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

You work in an environment with a variety of people, and it tests your ability to adapt to different situations and people.

Cons

Some of the upper management play favorites.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Company

18 Jul 2019 - Belt Operator in Prairie du Chien, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay, great opportunities, very good to their employees, structured work environment

Cons

Upper Management can be hard to reach, Consistently changing for the better but takes a lot of time to get changes approved

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews