A.S. Watson Group Reviews

Updated 23 Apr 2020

3.1
A.S. Watson Group Managing Director; Chairman, Hutchison Whampoa Limited  Dominic K. M. Lai (no image)
Dominic K. M. Lai

"TERRIBLE!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at A.S. Watson Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Superdrug discount card Some of the employees were really nice (because we shared the same pain)

Cons

Terrible management. Absolutely the WORST! Don't let you go on breaks. Force you to do overtime. Sometimes without pay. The manager 'forgot' to pay me for extra hours I did. He promised to pay me soon. I chased after him for ONE WHOLE MONTH and each time he would tell me he'll do it or he forgot. I gave up with him. FORCE you to do SAS when they know the customers don't want the items. The customers will be refusing the product on 'promotion' (it's always the same price) and you'd hear a whisper saying 'pUsH It HaRdEr Ya!' and when the customer is gone, they'd have a word with u. Don't let you pray if you're religious. Give people who hate the till, a permenant till role and the people who hate stacking the shelves, the shelves. That just makes it a less enjoyable experience for everyone apart from management, who spend their day in the staff room watching YouTube videos or on the phone, going on her '2nd break' for the 10th time. Also DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT work there if ur a student. They treat u like you're worthless. xoxo

A.S. Watson Group2019-10-13

November 11, 2019Comms Manager

Thank you for your review. We are extremely keen to address your comments. Due to your role, we believe you might have been employed by one of our retail businesses. Please kindly get in touch with us on More@uk.aswatson.com, this will enable us to address your feedback with greater accuracy and support - ensuring we get the right HR team involved. We look forward to hearing from you.

"Average and boring"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good workforce diversity at work place. I can't believe I am saying anything good about HR but actually local HR team are not bad. They are tightly controlled by HK head office but they are trying their best. Good location in Battersea, right next to the park. HR makes good effort to educate western employees on Chinese culture.

Cons

At local senior level company tends to hire on paper credentials but those people turn out pretty average. So you get bunch of fat cats not doing much. Managers hire to increase span of control and not because they actually need a resource. As a result, most of the time I had nothing to do. In the end I got bored of being bored, so I left. Cheapness and low cost culture is all around you: pay below industry standard, no canteen, no place to have lunch, tight desk space, overcrowded office, cheap Christmas parties and list goes on.

A.S. Watson Group2019-01-23

October 8, 2019Comms Manager

Hello and thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback. We’re very glad to hear about your positive experience when it comes to our HR team, our internal diversity, location and culture. At the same time, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and advice when it comes to the less-positive aspects of your experience with us. We’re very proud of what we do at A.S. Watson, especially around the way we recruit our people. What we look for in all of our potential candidates is commitment, teamwork, science, innovation and most of all passion - it’s not a coincidence we’re the largest Health & Beauty retailer in the world! In our recent Employee Engagement survey our people told us, it is the Opportunities that are one of the top 3 best things about working at A.S. Watson. Although we know for a fact there are a number of fantastic opportunities available at A.S. Watson, we also know they require own initiative and innovative thinking to be taken. Again, thank you for your review and we wish you all the best for the future.

"e-commerce administrator"

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, opportunities to learn

Cons

Facilities could be slightly better

A.S. Watson Group2018-08-24

August 30, 2018Comms Manager

Thanks a lot for your review! We're very happy you're enjoying your time with us. Your feedback means a lot, and we're delighted to hear you're rating our culture, benefits and development opportunities so highly! We're also very keen to hear the constructive part of all the reviews we get on Glassdoor, and really do take the cons on board. A perfect example of that, is the recent refurbishment of our office in London Battersea - an action based mainly on the feedback you gave us. Again, thanks for taking your time and leaving us a review!

4. "Great company - a career full of opportunities"

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

- Great people - Variety of development opportunities - Fast pace environment - A company with innovation at heart - There's always a number of new and exciting projects you can get involved in

Cons

Can't think of any so far :)

A.S. Watson Group2018-07-31

August 2, 2018

Hi there and thanks for your review. We're extremely happy you're enjoying your journey with us! We're very proud of our innovative nature and are always glad to hear our people appreciate it it too.

5. "Great company to work for"

I worked at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Looks after staff Good training Fun place to work Motivated

Cons

Heavy workload Pay could be better

A.S. Watson Group2018-06-22

June 28, 2018

Hi there and thank you for such a great review! It means a lot to us to hear you enjoyed your experience with A.S. Watson and we would like to wish you all the best in your future career.

6. "Short Review"

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Multicultural environment Great Team Fast paced and proactive in change

Cons

Hong Kong influence on working environment.

A.S. Watson Group2017-08-08

August 23, 2017

Hi there, and thanks a million for taking your time to leave us a review! At A.S. Watson we’re exceptionally proud of our multicultural nature and international expertise. That’s what makes us unique. That’s what helps us build a strong instinct for teamwork – no matter on the location. We’re very happy to hear you’re enjoying your journey with us and wish you all the best!

7. "Supportive employer / great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

ASW is a fast paced, dynamic and truly international company. It has fully supported both my professional and personal growth and given me a platform to progress in my career. It is people centric and treats its employees fairly and with respect. It's innovative and results driven which provides ongoing challenges and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Overall very good but could provide greater incentives for long service.

A.S. Watson Group2017-08-07

August 24, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and remarkable rating. We’re extremely happy to hear about your successful journey with us so far, and wish you all the best for the future. Thanks a million!

8. "Forward thinking, people focused company - great to work for"

4.0

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay & benefits, career progression, good work/life balance promoted, inspirational people, diversity embraced, "work hard play hard" mentality.

Cons

Can be a little corporate, not necessarily a "cool" brand to work for (and often unknown in Europe).

A.S. Watson Group2017-04-10

August 24, 2017

Thank you for such a brilliant review. We love the fact you’re enjoying ASW’s unique and inspirational culture and you’re totally right – we need to shout More about it! To help us increase awareness about who we are as an employer we we’ve recently launched our global Employer Branding across Europe as well as globally. This is an exciting project that has only just begun, so hold tight as there’s much More to come.

9. "Great team, great culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and environment in the London office, very open and honest culture. Senior managers/directors are very busy but approachable. Work-life balance is ok.

Cons

Very small teams means less space for growth, there's no place to step away from your desk to have lunch, flexible working could be improved.

A.S. Watson Group2017-04-06

A.S. Watson Group Response

June 20, 2017Head of HR Operations (Europe)

Hi. Thank you for your feedback and review. It's good to see that you mention our great team, senior management and culture of openness as particular positives. We will ensure that your comments around space for growth and office rearrangement are addressed. We wish you continued success and all the best!

10. "Great Company"

in London, England

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group

Pros

Great Team, good development and internal promotion and moves. Good culture and always lots to do.

Cons

Office facilities aren't up to standard. Could do with an upgrade on refresh of the office.

A.S. Watson Group2017-03-13

August 24, 2017

Hi and thanks for 5 stars! We’re extremely happy you appreciate our culture, team spirit and the breadth of opportunities available at A.S. Watson Group. We’re particularly proud of these aspects too. Thank also for highlighting the cons - they’re on our radar. Best wishes.

Found 88 reviews