A.S. Watson Group Reviews

Updated 5 Aug 2020

3.2
A.S. Watson Group Managing Director; Chairman, Hutchison Whampoa Limited  Dominic K. M. Lai (no image)
Dominic K. M. Lai

"Great people and office culture/ environment, poor everything else"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

Working with fun and clever colleagues, good work/ life balance, flexible working, good social life.

Cons

Benefits are quite basic and the salary is definitely below industry standard. There are no clear career development opportunities. Not enough recognition given to colleagues who have performed well. Some senior management don't appear to do very much, all talk and no action. Office is in an awkward location by Battersea Bridge.

Continue reading
  2. "Great please to work and develop your career"

4.0
    Current Employee - Design Team Leader in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management always willing to listen Comfortable, relaxed and fun working environment Good benefits If you want to do something different, they'll let you try it. Leader care about your development.

Cons

Flat structure, difficult to get a promotion in certain teams Annual leave flexibility is limited. In some departments they're a few people short of what they need to really make a difference.

Comms Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We’re very glad to hear you’re enjoying your time with us and the benefits we have to offer! We value your feedback and will ensure it is passed on to the appropriate team – it’s great to hear you want to make a real difference.

"Assistant finance manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Finance Manager

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

- sizeable company - good exposure - 1.5 lunch hours

Cons

- bad company culture

Comms Manager

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoy the international aspect of our company. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve in other areas you mention, please contact your local HR team – we’d love to hear from you.

"TERRIBLE!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at A.S. Watson Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Superdrug discount card Some of the employees were really nice (because we shared the same pain)

Cons

Terrible management. Absolutely the WORST! Don't let you go on breaks. Force you to do overtime. Sometimes without pay. The manager 'forgot' to pay me for extra hours I did. He promised to pay me soon. I chased after him for ONE WHOLE MONTH and each time he would tell me he'll do it or he forgot. I gave up with him. FORCE you to do SAS when they know the customers don't want the items. The customers will be refusing the product on 'promotion' (it's always the same price) and you'd hear a whisper saying 'pUsH It HaRdEr Ya!' and when the customer is gone, they'd have a word with u. Don't let you pray if you're religious. Give people who hate the till, a permenant till role and the people who hate stacking the shelves, the shelves. That just makes it a less enjoyable experience for everyone apart from management, who spend their day in the staff room watching YouTube videos or on the phone, going on her '2nd break' for the 10th time. Also DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT work there if ur a student. They treat u like you're worthless. xoxo

Comms Manager

Thank you for your review. We are extremely keen to address your comments. Due to your role, we believe you might have been employed by one of our retail businesses. Please kindly get in touch with us on More@uk.aswatson.com, this will enable us to address your feedback with greater accuracy and support - ensuring we get the right HR team involved. We look forward to hearing from you.

"Average and boring"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good workforce diversity at work place. I can't believe I am saying anything good about HR but actually local HR team are not bad. They are tightly controlled by HK head office but they are trying their best. Good location in Battersea, right next to the park. HR makes good effort to educate western employees on Chinese culture.

Cons

At local senior level company tends to hire on paper credentials but those people turn out pretty average. So you get bunch of fat cats not doing much. Managers hire to increase span of control and not because they actually need a resource. As a result, most of the time I had nothing to do. In the end I got bored of being bored, so I left. Cheapness and low cost culture is all around you: pay below industry standard, no canteen, no place to have lunch, tight desk space, overcrowded office, cheap Christmas parties and list goes on.

Comms Manager

Hello and thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback. We’re very glad to hear about your positive experience when it comes to our HR team, our internal diversity, location and culture. At the same time, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and advice when it comes to the less-positive aspects of your experience with us. We’re very proud of what we do at A.S. Watson, especially around the way we recruit our people. What we look for in all of our potential candidates is commitment, teamwork, science, innovation and most of all passion - it’s not a coincidence we’re the largest Health & Beauty retailer in the world! In our recent Employee Engagement survey our people told us, it is the Opportunities that are one of the top 3 best things about working at A.S. Watson. Although we know for a fact there are a number of fantastic opportunities available at A.S. Watson, we also know they require own initiative and innovative thinking to be taken. Again, thank you for your review and we wish you all the best for the future.

"e-commerce administrator"

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, opportunities to learn

Cons

Facilities could be slightly better

Comms Manager

Thanks a lot for your review! We're very happy you're enjoying your time with us. Your feedback means a lot, and we're delighted to hear you're rating our culture, benefits and development opportunities so highly! We're also very keen to hear the constructive part of all the reviews we get on Glassdoor, and really do take the cons on board. A perfect example of that, is the recent refurbishment of our office in London Battersea - an action based mainly on the feedback you gave us. Again, thanks for taking your time and leaving us a review!

7. "Great company - a career full of opportunities"

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

- Great people - Variety of development opportunities - Fast pace environment - A company with innovation at heart - There's always a number of new and exciting projects you can get involved in

Cons

Can't think of any so far :)

A.S. Watson Group Response

Hi there and thanks for your review. We're extremely happy you're enjoying your journey with us! We're very proud of our innovative nature and are always glad to hear our people appreciate it it too.

8. "Great company to work for"

I worked at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Looks after staff Good training Fun place to work Motivated

Cons

Heavy workload Pay could be better

A.S. Watson Group Response

Hi there and thank you for such a great review! It means a lot to us to hear you enjoyed your experience with A.S. Watson and we would like to wish you all the best in your future career.

9. "Supportive employer / great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time

Pros

ASW is a fast paced, dynamic and truly international company. It has fully supported both my professional and personal growth and given me a platform to progress in my career. It is people centric and treats its employees fairly and with respect. It's innovative and results driven which provides ongoing challenges and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Overall very good but could provide greater incentives for long service.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Thank you for your feedback and remarkable rating. We’re extremely happy to hear about your successful journey with us so far, and wish you all the best for the future. Thanks a million!

10. "Short Review"

I have been working at A.S. Watson Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Multicultural environment Great Team Fast paced and proactive in change

Cons

Hong Kong influence on working environment.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Hi there, and thanks a million for taking your time to leave us a review! At A.S. Watson we’re exceptionally proud of our multicultural nature and international expertise. That’s what makes us unique. That’s what helps us build a strong instinct for teamwork – no matter on the location. We’re very happy to hear you’re enjoying your journey with us and wish you all the best!

Found 96 reviews