A.S. Watson Group Reviews

Updated 4 May 2021

3.4
A.S. Watson Group Managing Director; Chairman, Hutchison Whampoa Limited  Dominic K. M. Lai (no image)
Dominic K. M. Lai
  1. 3.0

Ok company

19 Feb 2020 - Infrastructure Support Engineer in Croydon, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free peaks for superdrug

Cons

Salary and career progression

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Average and boring

23 Jan 2019 - Analyst in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good workforce diversity at work place. I can't believe I am saying anything good about HR but actually local HR team are not bad. They are tightly controlled by HK head office but they are trying their best. Good location in Battersea, right next to the park. HR makes good effort to educate western employees on Chinese culture.

Cons

At local senior level company tends to hire on paper credentials but those people turn out pretty average. So you get bunch of fat cats not doing much. Managers hire to increase span of control and not because they actually need a resource. As a result, most of the time I had nothing to do. In the end I got bored of being bored, so I left. Cheapness and low cost culture is all around you: pay below industry standard, no canteen, no place to have lunch, tight desk space, overcrowded office, cheap Christmas parties and list goes on.

5 people found this review helpful

Comms Manager

Hello and thank you for taking your time to leave us feedback. We’re very glad to hear about your positive experience when it comes to our HR team, our internal diversity, location and culture. At the same time, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and advice when it comes to the less-positive aspects of your experience with us. We’re very proud of what we do at A.S. Watson, especially around the way we recruit our people. What we look for in all of our potential candidates is commitment, teamwork, science, innovation and most of all passion - it’s not a coincidence we’re the largest Health & Beauty retailer in the world! In our recent Employee Engagement survey our people told us, it is the Opportunities that are one of the top 3 best things about working at A.S. Watson. Although we know for a fact there are a number of fantastic opportunities available at A.S. Watson, we also know they require own initiative and innovative thinking to be taken. Again, thank you for your review and we wish you all the best for the future.

3. 3.0

Assistant finance manager

19 Oct 2019 - Assistant Finance Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- sizeable company - good exposure - 1.5 lunch hours

Cons

- bad company culture

Comms Manager

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoy the international aspect of our company. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve in other areas you mention, please contact your local HR team – we’d love to hear from you.

4. 5.0

e-commerce administrator

24 Aug 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, opportunities to learn

Cons

Facilities could be slightly better

Comms Manager

Thanks a lot for your review! We're very happy you're enjoying your time with us. Your feedback means a lot, and we're delighted to hear you're rating our culture, benefits and development opportunities so highly! We're also very keen to hear the constructive part of all the reviews we get on Glassdoor, and really do take the cons on board. A perfect example of that, is the recent refurbishment of our office in London Battersea - an action based mainly on the feedback you gave us. Again, thanks for taking your time and leaving us a review!

5. 5.0

I like my job!

4 Nov 2016 - Group CRM in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team I work in is collaborative and welcoming. Office drama is kept to a minimum, and everyone behaves like adults. The work is varied, there are lots of opportunities to get involved with exciting things. People tend to leave the office on time.

Cons

Terrible coffee! And tea. Not enough toilets. Battersea isn't a particularly convenient place to get to. Chinese work culture can sometimes clash a bit with British work culture. A lot of archaic technology (moving all my email to an external folder every week since there's no storage, a shared desk phone for a whole team)

4 people found this review helpful

A.S. Watson Group Response

Thanks a lot for your great review. We are extremely happy to hear you’re really enjoying working at A.S. Watson. We take all the feedback very seriously and are strongly committed to working towards further improving your experience. Thank you for recommending us as an employer!

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to learn & grow with

31 Jul 2016 - Specialist Digital Designer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have learnt more here in the last 2 years than I have done in the last 5 years previous industry experience. The team was amazing, all with a range of skills which complimented each other, but also enhanced us individually. The higher management team were very understanding and approachable with personal life circumstances.

Cons

Possibly more training and development and also discussions about job progressions would help to see where you could possibly be in a few years time. A more casual work environment, i.e; working from home - once a month / summer hours / Social events etc.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Thank you so much for your review - it means a lot to us. As a company we take our employees' feedback very seriously and are committed to working towards constantly improving our people’s experience. We hope you enjoyed your time with us!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Averagely Decent

15 Mar 2016 - Warehouse Operator in Dunstable, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The perks are good if you have a girlfriend or some kind of female to buy things for as they benefit you with a "beauty card" which entitles you to in-store discounts

Cons

Unfortunately the people in power (supervisors / team leaders) seem to let the power get to their head and throw their weight around more than they should but I expect that's the same with most jobs.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Thank you for your feedback. Considering your location and job nature, we believe you are part of one of our retail Business Units in the UK. To ensure your feedback gets to the right place we will forward it in the right direction.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Exciting company to be part of

9 Mar 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Huge global presence, if you work in a group function you get to interact with all the global business units. Retail is normally fast and ASW is no exception decisions get made rapidly and you can see your work implemented very quickly. Lots and lots of examples of people starting in junior roles and working their way to the top. Some great career opportunities.

Cons

Can be a cultural minefield but that's normal for any global organization. Due to the need to turn things around quickly some weeks will be very busy with some long hours required.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Thanks so much for your 5-star rating! We really appreciate your feedback and advice, especially with 10+ years of experience with A.S. Watson Group. It means a lot. Thank you.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great team, great culture

6 Apr 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and environment in the London office, very open and honest culture. Senior managers/directors are very busy but approachable. Work-life balance is ok.

Cons

Very small teams means less space for growth, there's no place to step away from your desk to have lunch, flexible working could be improved.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Head of HR Operations (Europe)

Hi. Thank you for your feedback and review. It's good to see that you mention our great team, senior management and culture of openness as particular positives. We will ensure that your comments around space for growth and office rearrangement are addressed. We wish you continued success and all the best!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting company with massive scope for career development

4 Nov 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fabulous team: people in the office are real nice and willing to help. Invest in the people: spend time going through skill sets with staff and encourage continuous learning. Massive scope for career development: a huge international company with many opportunities and chances to relocate!

Cons

Structure and culture is hierarchical at times which takes time for information to feed through the communication chain.

A.S. Watson Group Response

Thank you for your review – we really appreciate your feedback. We are thrilled to hear you’re enjoying your time with A.S. Watson and will continue to work as hard as we can towards improving our people's experience with us. Thanks a lot for recommending us as an exciting employer to work for!

Viewing 21 - 30 of 138 Reviews