AKQA Reviews

Updated 28 May 2020

3.7
AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed
Ajaz Ahmed
Pros
  • "Great agency with great people and exciting clients and projects(in 53 reviews)

• "Great clients, competitive salaries, and great culture(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "When you're striving for excellence it can mean long hours but that's the nature of the industry and we all work together to try and solve for this(in 60 reviews)

• "Work/life balance close to non-existent(in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My second home"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Melbourne

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with my AKQA family for almost 12 years. Over these years I've had the pleasure and privilege of working with some of the most talented people in the world on some of the most exciting and challenging projects for some of the most amazing clients. The freedom and encouragement for continuous exploration and improvement as we craft quality work is an absolute gift and it's something we practice on regular basis. I'm grateful I was given the opportunity to improve and progress within different disciplines over the years as my passion in different areas was evolving. This is an opportunity everyone receives equally and is something that makes us invincible. Just as important and undeniably evident is the vibrant culture and positive vibe you can feel in the office on daily basis and in all our social event. People from all walks of life, gender, race and religion united by a common goal gravitating around genuine passion for creativity, innovation, thought, quality and service. All together on a mission as a team, having fun along the way. One team one dream. I'm proud to be a part of this team.

Cons

I honestly can't fault any aspect of working for AKQA, which I believe is reflected in my tenure with the company.

AKQA2020-04-17
  2. "Pleasure to work for."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Senior Technical Analyst in London, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being part of the infrastructure team within a highly regarded enterprise organisation like AKQA is a pleasurable experience. From the outset, staff are treated with respect and responsibility. The on-boarding from HR, Studio Services and my own team was superb. The studio has a great spirit with a strong shared identity. The leadership team are visible and active with all staff, and all departments contributing to an enjoyable working culture.

Cons

A relatively slow turnover of staff may prove a barrier to rapid progression, and internal infrastructure roles are notoriously 'business as usual' focused. But AKQA is a cutting edge agency with staff supported on solid foundations.

AKQA2020-05-26
  3. "Grateful to be part of AKQA"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

[Staying in touch]: For the people reading this wondering if sending another follow up or waiting on a recruiter to get back to you, I'm proof that patience is key and AKQA is great at keeping your name on file. My journey to AKQA wasn't quick and it took about 3 years of staying in touch for me to finally land a role that is right for me. Writing this now, it's about 5 and half years since my first conversation with AKQA and I still feel as fortunate and excited as I was during that first introductory phone call. Plus, it took that long of a time to find the right role, team and experience that is best suited for me. [Different Studios]: I'm lucky enough that I was able to start my career with AKQA at one studio (US) and I'm currently working and living with one of their European studios. Not a lot of companies offer that opportunity, but if you perform and continue to overdeliver within the AKQA standard, the opportunities to see the world via AKQA's different studios is something definitely worth pursuing. [Openness with executive, leadership team]: I can honestly say that I'm lucky enough to have direct contact and communication with all the managing directors I've worked with. I also e-mail Ajaz the founder, here and there and he continues to respond and e-mail me back. Just knowing that the exec team is there to listen is a great feeling. [Open to Ideas] I have to caveat that not all ideas will be accepted, but as long as its improving the business, whether that's an improvement on process or ways of approaching a challenge or handling a team, AKQA will always let you try. Something I'm thankful for each and every day to have the permission and autonomy to try things.

Cons

[Different office, different rules] Due to the vast footprint of AKQA globally, each office and each culture is managed differently, it creates a bit of inconsistency at times with global messaging. Everything is still delivered within an AKQA standard, but internally to get there is a bit challenging. [Resources] understanding the amount of employees and amount of talent we AKQA has, there has to be a better way to resource/assign people on projects from a global effort/level.

AKQA2020-05-18
  4. "Rise like the phoenix"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having been with the agency for several years, working closely with all disciplines, I can see that the studio is rising like the phoenix, ready to soar high up in the coming months and years. It’s refreshing to see how recent strategic hires have not only brought a sense of optimism and belief, but also inspired work output to really be proud of e.g. Blockdown. The team is strong, with a great work ethic, and an obsession to deliver for our clients. The Gartner quadrant leader positioning doesn’t lie! The solidarity amongst the team is commendable, across the studios that make up the region. Leadership is kind and humble, but also smart and responsible. Team first culture that I see examples of every week. Some I can’t say, but others include little things like thank you seeds in the post as we work remotely, which evoke that sense of hope, in flowers that will bloom very soon! Employee benefits are the best in the industry, and the studio is a lovely workspace that I hope we can return to soon. In summary, it’s a family I’m very glad I’m part of.

Cons

No cons (that I haven’t already raised with the MD – that’s how it should be, don’t just complain, get on and influence change!!). If pushed I'd reveal that some of the team miss the drinks trolley, but hasn't that made us healthier and wealthier?

AKQA2020-05-14

"Terrible Place to work, No life balance & lack of support from managers"

2.0
    Former Employee - Finance
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AKQA full-time

Pros

Most of the people are great to work alongside Free Breakfast once a month

Cons

Work life balance is atrocious Lack of support from managers to progress Lack of change and ability to improve processes HR did not seem to want to help with issues

AKQA2020-05-06
  6. "No better team in the world"

Current Employee - Receptionist in London, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great agency with amazing people and exciting clients and projects

Cons

Nothing bad to say

AKQA2020-03-03

"Inspiring, innovative and always challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AKQA is a unique place to work- the teams are made up of brilliant minds and talented people, and everyone is treated as an equal. We also have some of the most amazing clients who come to us looking to genuinely innovate and deliver measurable value to their audiences and customers. To be part of that journey with them is a humbling and unique opportunity that I've relished during my time here.

Cons

When you're striving for excellence it can mean long hours but that's the nature of the industry and we all work together to try and solve for this.

March 19, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for inspiring our teams (all of us), and our clients. 🙏 ron@akqa.com, MD

"Amazing energy"

Current Employee - Group Account Director in London, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good humans with true respect and care. Ambition of doing the best work and attention in detail. Truly love the energy in the office and entrepreneurial style.

Cons

We can't have any alcohol in the office, it would be great to gather the teams around some drinks after work.

March 19, 2020Managing Director

🙏 Thank you for helping us all look after each other. Believe energy is the ingredient force that will make us achieve what we could never do alone. Looking forward to the team being back in-person, safely, after remote-working ends and let's get those in-person after-work culture sessions immediately in place. Thank you for the feedback, Ron, MD

"Take pride in your work at AKQA. Challenge yourself."

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having been at AKQA for 2 years, I am yet to witness a dull moment. Everyday I am challenged with something new and exciting. Clock watching is not really an option here! Each project is unique and requires you to adjust and adapt your skill sets. AKQA has a great culture and is full of people who are open mined and not afraid to adventure into the unknown. If you need support its there, equally you are trusted to deliver.

Cons

Sometimes you are required to go above and beyond your working hours. However, this is industry wide and I have experienced worse outside of AKQA.

March 19, 2020Managing Director

Thank you. Let's keep pushing together on the next. Every month, every year, something better than the previous. 👊 Ron, MD

10. "Talented people, varied work"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented, conscientious people - across all departments. No big egos. The work is VERY varied and you don't get silod into doing one type of work - a lot of freedom to develop in areas where you have an interest. There's a big focus on delivering great work - and process doesn't get in the way.

Cons

Perhaps could be a better social environment - after work drinks etc. - but that's more down to the people than the company.

AKQA2020-02-18

March 19, 2020Managing Director

🚀 Thank you for the continued service and attention to the problems of the world, our clients, and community. Especially with the world-state right now, everyone needs help. Thank you for the feedback and making us better. Let's keep going, 🙏 Ron, MD

Found 625 reviews