AKQA Reviews

Updated 12 May 2021

3.8
AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed
Ajaz Ahmed
Pros
  • "Great people, shared values and good family friendly culture(in 56 reviews)

• "I've also experienced the best work/life balance out of the 5 agencies I've worked at(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "When you're striving for excellence it can mean long hours but that's the nature of the industry and we all work together to try and solve for this(in 61 reviews)

• "Work/life balance close to non-existent(in 54 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Would go back in a heartbeat"

Former Employee - Senior Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time

Pros

Great briefs, super-smart team and the opportunity to create portfolio-worthy work.

Cons

Can be long hours during pitches but that's the norm in all agencies.

2. "I heart AKQA"

Current Employee - Creative in London, England, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for less than a year

Pros

My first job and I had no idea what to expect. Everyone at AKQA has been amazing and so welcoming, really feel included and loved despite being the most junior baby at the company. The work is really interesting but never overwhelms the friendly atmosphere. Despite all being online, everyone makes time to catchup and joke about before getting down to business. Love it.

Cons

A great workplace. No complaints yet!

February 15, 2021Managing Director

Thank You for being part of such a special journey. We couldn't be more excited to have you on board. Together, let's design the next level together. The future is what we will make of it. And never ever worry about being a 'junior baby'...as we are ALL striving to be babies in the mind and the best ideas come from anywhere - the best open-minded way to invent! 🙏🚀 Thanks, ron@akqa.com

"Incredible Clients, Culture, Community"

Current Employee - Analytics Director in London, England, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

* Truly incredible client roster * Highly talented tech, data, & creative teams * Management actually cares about individuals, and so do team members * Leadership supports innovation * Being part of the broader AKQA and WPP network is a huge asset * Entrepreneurial spirit across the team * Founder (Ajaz) is still actively involved with the company and sets a great vision * Did I mention the high level of talent & success?

Cons

* As with any studio or agency, there can be a bit of chaos so you need to be proactive in your communication until you get to a point of clarity & results * Sometimes the client work can feel reactive, but there's space & support to reconsider the response and work with fellow team members to adjust this (time is always the challenge) * Operations and processes could be improved for consistency (they're working on it)

"Always striving for better"

Current Employee - Associate Creative in London, England, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the fundamental things you notice whilst working at AKQA is the culture of perfectionism. Every piece of work is scrutinised and refined until every word, every pixel, every detail is just right. Whilst demanding, this mindset helps to shape every piece of work we do, and ultimately creates work that we can all be proud of. Another great thing about working at AKQA is breadth of thinking. Ideas aren't bound by the conventions of the industry. AKQA encourages creatives to think about what approach best solves the brief, be it traditional media, an innovative use of technology or something wholly new and unexpected. The emphasis is on creating work that makes a real impact, rather than creating work that simply *looks* like advertising.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the last couple of years, particularly in the creative department; some people have left, others have joined. This state of flux can be a little worrying- particularly when mentors and senior figures move on. However, those brought in to fill the roles have been excellent. With that said, after a turbulent couple of years, there definitely seems to be a much better sense of unity, culture and stability emerging- and I think the latest work is evidence of that.

November 16, 2020Managing Director

🙏👊🚀 Thank you for inspiring us to push further, more to go, Ron, MD

"Being a part of AKQA Family"

Current Employee - Receptionist in London, England, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

AKQA has given me the most incredible colleagues and I have felt like I've been a part of the team since I first joined almost 3 years ago. I am proud to be a part of this family and to see the consistent quality of work the teams are creating. The work culture is inspiring and it is a place where everyone is welcome. AKQA also gives you the opportunity for progression which is a great motivation.

Cons

As with all big companies, there might be some downsides but I cannot think of any cons in my role.

6. "Worst Price/Quality"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

They're good selling themselves. AKQA is a world wide brand.

Cons

Weak and unexperienced leadership, no talent or creative in-house and super expensive.

7. "A force of talent & energy"

Current Employee - Group Creative Director in London, England, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for less than a year

Pros

AKQA cares. They care deeply about their people and the work which is the perfect mix of a studio to work for.

Cons

Because of this winning formula of talent & work it means you'll not want to press the off or pause button once you get going on the work.

Continue reading

"Great talent but terrible management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super talented people Good benefits Everyone is friendly and welcoming

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, hard to progress in your role or get a raise, also management cares more about money and image than good work or making sure their team is happy.

May 6, 2021Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. Our desired ambition is to humbly pursue the quest of being a never-ending work-in-progress. As a company and together as a team. We're incredibly appreciative and proud of you, every individual and character which comprises this team, the positive vibes and care we extend to each other, and the extraordinary focus on the craft to push the world's next impossible. That's our simple formula: Do great work, care for each other, and care for our clients. And through this momentum, we are also proud to have unlocked a new all-time studio record of promotions and growth opportunity for this team. But equally, we remain humbly focussed. With fairness and resolve, and with care for each other as we each grow higher as a team. You have our commitment we will continue to push each other as colleagues, elevate each other, and help grow each other to achieve nothing short of the highest bars we haven't thought previously attainable. We will not be perfect, but we will go high and push for the best. That we promise! Thank you for the incredible work. ron@akqa.com, Managing Partner, AKQA

9. "The forefront of brands"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work we're encouraged to make is always more innovative than industry norms - things that are new concepts at other agencies are bread and butter at AKQA. Projects are hugely varied. Leadership are kind and approachable.

Cons

AKQA is a sink or swim kind of place. It can be chaotic and you have to be ready!

March 1, 2021Managing Director

Thank you for being a part of the journey 🙏. It's exciting how many things we are creating right now together - thanks for hanging in there through all the chaotic goodness. If anything we can ever do to help, big or small, you have our promise we will do everything we can for each other. Ron, MD, ron@akqa.com

"Enjoyed working there"

4.0
    Former Employee - IT Manager in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work and social with

Cons

Few not so great people

Viewing 1 - 10 of 730 Reviews