Abcam Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 1 Oct 2019

4.7
Abcam CEO Alan Hirzel
Alan Hirzel
Pros
  • "There is also a strong focus on work/life balance driven from the CEO down(in 22 reviews)

• "Friendly and enthusiastic colleagues; Beneficial Discussions and meeting; Perfect engineering working Environment; Casual Style(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "no bonuses, poor communication, low pay(in 9 reviews)

• "Decision making/approval processes slow things down(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A career with purpose"

Current Employee - Change Project Manager in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet amazing bunch of bright people! Great team work, everyone pulls together and enjoys helping others! A shared focus on helping our customers! Challenging pace and learning new things everyday! Fantastic new facilities with great coffee!

Cons

Due to the fast pace and been a growing company, the way we work is not as structured as it could be.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to praise the people who are achieving so much with their dedication.

Abcam2019-02-18

"Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Lead Data Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive mission to help life scientists Relaxed and friendly company culture Senior management strongly support the use of data and insights across the business

Cons

There are so many exciting projects underway, it is easy for us to get distracted and leave things unfinished.

Advice to Management

More of the same, please.

Abcam2019-09-16

"Excellent Employer & Team to work with"

Current Employee - Category Director in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership from CEO and ELT Great "How can we..." culture Ambitious growth plans

Cons

There are almost infinite opportunities for growth, the only problem is that time is finite and working out what to do first

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the great communication and culture development

Abcam2019-09-13
  4. "Good Culture"

Current Employee - Product Administrator in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, Nice building, Friendly Staff, Good management

Cons

IT systems are just awful

Abcam2019-10-01

"Amazing company going places"

Current Employee - Accountant in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere; friendly and supportive co-workers; interesting work and many opportunities to develop my career; lots of traing and encouragement for self development; amazing building; fast paced and exciting buzz; flexible working encouraged

Cons

a lot of change as we grow; new finance system just gone live so a lot to learn; can be long hours at peak times

Advice to Management

keep investing in developing people; recognise pace of change can be stressful

Abcam2019-09-10

"Great place to work! lots of opportunities!"

Current Employee - Head of Logistics UK/EMEA in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Abcam has an extremely nice culture, with a very welcoming attitude. There are plenty of opportunities and ways to develop your own skills. We have a great team of people, all ambitious and willing to help others build and create something special.

Cons

Nothing really, its fast paced - prepared.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep an eye out for good talent coming through the ranks.

Abcam2019-09-03

"I love working at Abcam; the challenge, the people and the place #theplacetobe"

Current Employee - Vice President, Lead Business Process Owner (Supply Chain Mgt) in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Abcam has a great mission and it is easy to get behind it and work hard for the projected growth. We are growing rapidly and the people make it a pleasure to be working hard to get it done

Cons

really hard to think of any

Abcam2019-09-02

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Abcam is a challenging and dynamic workplace with great progression opportunities. It's fulfilling to be working collectively to help achieve the company goals. The new HQ building is also a great place to work with fantastic facilities.

Cons

Abcam is growing at quite a pace and has been for a number of years. Therefore, especially in busy periods, teams will become quite strained by the amount of workload. if you thrive in a fast-paced and changeable environment, then Abcam may be the place for you!

Abcam2019-09-04

"Fast paced, fun and flexible"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very friendly culture, outstanding people, tremendous growth and opportunities. Lots of flexibility. I love the fact that I can make my family life work around my job and that Abcam supports me to do this.

Cons

There is very little not to like. There has been a focus on constantly improving reward and benefits which has been very well received and much more is planned in this space

Abcam2019-09-04

"It just gets better"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Abcam full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Abcam is one of those companies I have waited my whole career to join. It is growing, high tech and successful. It is also passionate about constantly improving itself. I have never sees a business that listens to its people and then implements improvements so quickly. The company has invested in a fantastic all employee share scheme to share success with everyone, has great training programmes and has moved to an... amazing new office in Cambridge. It is ambitious and as a growing business asks its people to grow their careers and learn more in a truly global business. This is not a company you can come into and hide away. It is a high performance business which expects people to contribute. In return you get lots of support, flexibility, route to grow your career and fun!

Cons

The company is ambitious so sometimes things need a bit of ‘air traffic control’ to help land things in a joined up way. But that’s the output of a creative business which moves with pace. Better that than indecisive big business.

Advice to Management

Keep all the straight talking, listening and ambition. Keep attracting the people who can join this business to share the journey.

Abcam2019-09-02