Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Abercrombie & Fitch Chief Executive Officer Fran Horowitz
Fran Horowitz

4,933 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Generally the people there were fun to work with" (in 127 reviews)

• "Good company culture and relaxed work environment" (in 326 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge" (in 187 reviews)

• "minimum wage and lack of diversity" (in 449 reviews)

1. "Lovely work culture"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in London, England

Pros

Beautiful environment, lovey people, good compensation

Cons

Too much work, demand and supply ignorance

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of things to do

Cons

Can be stressful at times

3. "Sales assistant"

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

very flexible on working hours

Cons

not very long breaks for water/lunch etc

4. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, ability to do shorter shifts.
    Not difficult work.

Cons

Retail so not the most exciting!
    Pay is fairly low.

5. "Good part time job for fun not money"

Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in London, England

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The interview is all about finding fun and relatable people so the workforce is a great laugh.
    - Very relaxed environment to work in
    - Often given clothes to wear on a daily basis by the stylists and so don't have to worry about clothes being uncomfortable etc because you can always request to swap out items mid shift
    - Often have Facebook groups where you can exchange shifts - making the work super flexible
    - Very few responsibilities

Cons

- Due to there being several managers it can sometimes be disorganised
    - Pay
    - Shifts are often quite short (4 hours) to prevent you from being able to have paid breaks
    - No 'team nights' or attempt by management to make a more family feel work environment that they preach
    - Once you're hired you have to watch a video on crime prevention and then you're thrown out on the floor with no other training

Advice to Management

Give on going training to new recruits like they do to the new stores teams as without that training it would have been quite challenging to meet expectations.

6. "TRASH. Unless you're a student"

Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in London, England

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people there are really friendly and nice and you can make genuine out of work friends.
    - Decent Staff Discount on all Abercrombie & Fitch family brands (inc. Hollister).
    - You can sometimes pick up some extra shifts from the facebook page.

Cons

- I was a student when I was doing this job. First, its a 0 hour contract. If you're trying to save or make money, you're not gonna do it here.
    - Sometimes you can go days without getting scheduled. Again, Its a 0 hour contract, they don't have to give you any shifts at all. Its kinda based on favouritism.
    - They hire all the time. Well not as much now, since they've been trying to 'change'. But the company is still overstaffed.
    - The on call shift is a nightmare. A waste of time.

Advice to Management

- Management are generally good, but 0 hour contracts should cease to exist. It's a minimum wage job where you might get a few hours. If you're a student and you're really job deprived and want to work there for the name sake or the discount (which is why I worked there), then go for it I guess lol.

- On Call is basically a waste of your time. If they give you an on call shift then you only come in if they need you, which they usually won't. Plus it means you can't actually plan anything that day just in case of the 3% chance that they do call you in which is annoying. Just get rid of them.

7. "Great if you need your 1st job leave straight away within 1 year"

Former Employee - Impact (Sales Assistant) in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work any hours you want (Zero Hour Contract)
    - Managment will buy you food randomly
    - Great if you're in university and want a part-time job

Cons

"Hiding Minorties"

Managment would hide people of minorities in the backroom working in stock instead of having them on shop floor unless they considered you "White" they'd have you on shop floor all the time.

"Nepotism"

Managment consisting of will hire people based on who they'd like to go on a date with and not based on work ablity so they end up with loads of people that leave after certain amount of time probably because managment has tried to hit on them which creates a revolving door of employee's joing and leaving.

"No regard for health and safety"

At A&F you're forced to wear branded flip-flops as apart of your uniform which can hurt the back of your feet if constantly worn one my colleagues feet bleed on the shop floor from the constant rubbing on her feet and management insisted she had to go home or hang in there if she didn't wear A&F branded shoes so I stepped in and said "Isn't that health and safety can't she just wear her shoes for this shift"

"Making too much money"

Yes that's a con when I worked there I was on a zero hour contract which means you can work as many hours as you choose to-do during a 7 day period so naturally I took advantage of this A&F has a process where you can give your colleuages your shift if you don't want to work that day so a lot of my colleauges didn't want to work certain days either because they wanted to go out so i'd offer to-do thier shift as a cover after doing x amount of shifts night / day managment pulled me aside to say "You're working too many hours" which actually means "We have to pay national insurance as you're classed as full-time employee" and when companies like A&F put you on zero hour contracts they don't have to pay additional tax as you're not classed as a full-time employee.

So long story short management cut my hours down dramatically week by week to eventually never asking me to back to the store for the only call in shifts.

Advice to Management

Hire people that actually want to learn about retail and hire people that are not based on how much you want to go on date with them after employing them.

8. "good working vibes ,happy people"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in London, England
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in London, England

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people , good vibes , work and life balance , location

Cons

none , i was happy overall

Advice to Management

good managers over all

9. "probably the best job i've had so far"

Current Employee - Brand Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Brand Representative in London, England

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you can make tons of new friends there, managers are amazing and if you put effort into your work you will be extremely valued

Cons

relatively low pay, repetitive work (but i mean come on, what retail job isn't repetitive in some way) and the staff kitchen is very uncomfortable

Advice to Management

if there's anything in your power to make the kitchen a little more comfy so we can actually sit on chairs/at a table for our meals that would be amazing. i get that the room is small but with that many employees there must be a better way than everybody sitting on the floor or having their food on their laps while eating with no back rest or anything like that

10. "Brand Rep"

Pros

Good team friendly spirit

Cons

Could be more training offered

Showing 4,933 of 4,989 reviews