Abt Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 9, 2019

3.5
Abt Associates President and CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan
Kathleen L. Flanagan
Pros
  • "Abt offers excellent work/life balance(in 61 reviews)

• "Independence, open to new ideas, value your work, progressively give you more responsibility, interesting work(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Like anywhere else, more discretionary benefits like flex time and remote work depend entirely on your manager, as does work/life balance in general(in 11 reviews)

• "Your personal experience will depend greatly on the dept you work in and the senior staff person/people who support most often(in 11 reviews)

1. "Undisclosed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Abt is an amazing place to work. Genuine colleagues and great culture. Very diverse and inclusive. Very collaborative and mission-driven. Very international and complex work. Fun social club too. Highly recommend. Worth coming on the journey as it continues to grow and improve.

Cons

Some challenges with remunerating at market due to budget constraints as a profit-for-purpose but continually improving.

Abt Associates2019-12-06
  2. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Workplace Health and Safety Coordinator in Port Moresby

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working environment for staff development.

Cons

More team building and cooperation at different levels.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in recognising staff ability

Abt Associates2019-12-03
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’m able to work from home. Support network is always a call or an email away. Great benefits!

Cons

Hard to feel connected to other staff since we have such limited interactions.

Advice to Management

Once a year all staff meetings in main office.

Abt Associates2019-11-30
  4. "Depends which division you work in"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Rockville, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice office. Interesting cross-discipline work. Provide some nice learning opportunities.

Cons

Extraneous red tape and bureaucracy. Depending what area you work in, but can be a negative atmosphere.

Abt Associates2019-12-09
  5. "Excellent Policy Reaearch Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hardworking and bright leaders, excellent opportunities to grow as an analyst and consultant, staffed on meaningful analytics from day one, when I was there I definitely felt a sense of camaraderie and shared purpose.

Cons

If involved with a division that provides regulatory support, that can start to feel repetitive (it’s the nature of government contracting, not the company). Some development opportunities felt limited based on supervisor or teams but YMMV as it’s a huge company.

Abt Associates2019-11-09

"DSET is a sinking ship. Overall Abt is doing fine."

I worked at Abt Associates

Pros

This is just a review for Abts Division of Data science and enabling technologies (DSET). Can’t speak for the other divisions. Great comradery with your peers. Not to say that it’s all friendly and welcoming but there a huge sense of worker solidarity with all junior and mid level staff. We know the ship is sinking and yet we still support, encourage and look out for each other as much as we can. There is no... careerism. Everyone wants to work, get better, and do a fine job. Decent hands on experience. You’ll have your hands in a wide variety of projects. You can sharpen your skills and pick up new ones if you’re interested in doing it. Paid for idle time. Due to the nature of the contracts and projects the company pursued for profit, sometimes you’ll find yourself with no work to do. Fret not, you’ll be paid for this time. It’s not indefinite but you’ll be covered during the slow times.

Cons

Underpaid: I was doing work typically done by people 1-2 levels above me. Constant job insecurity: The c-suite heavily implies that billable time goals are a major component to being retained. I’ve asked outright if it is, was denied. It’s stressed at every weekly meeting. Lack of productive feedback: I’ve constantly asked what I can do to improve myself, what skills I should pick up, programs to learn, etc.. It... was ignored by the execs and higher management people. When it wasn’t I was told that they didn’t know. Disconnect between the staff and higher management: Any suggestions to bring more transparency, worker satisfaction or profits to the division are ignored. I.e. a focus on closing the gender wage gap rather than increasing wages for everyone. If that gap is closed we’re still all underpaid. Lack of short to mid term planning. Everything is pretty much reactive in the day to day, month to month. There is little to no planning beyond how much profit a project brings and can it be done under budget. Luckily there are staff who are wondrous in working in this situation and staff who are learning how to. You get use to it. DSET exces are focusing on new tech and how to carve a niche in the research field. Which is fine and all but it’s done at the expensive of everything else.

Advice to Management

Pay employees market rate. Take into consideration their requests and suggestions instead of dismissing it cause it’s “inconvenient.” (Ie: wage transparency, 35 hour work weeks, employee wealth fund, paid lunch time, staff development, etc.” I’d say clean house in the c suite and actually plan.

Abt Associates2019-11-03
  7. "Great place to hone quantitative and qualitative research skills"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Since Abt has a wide array of divisions and contracts, you can work on a variety of topics. In my two years there I researched everything from renewable energy financing to hospice care. - Well-trained, expert staff who are passionate about what they're researching.

Cons

- Professional development opportunities for junior staff can really depend on the supervisor. There's not a strong internal system for developing talent, so be ready to take initiative yourself.

Abt Associates2019-09-23

"Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

standard hours, unless it's audit season.

Cons

work only culture, zero social activities

Abt Associates2019-09-08

"Smart people"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart people. Mission driven. Good benefits.

Cons

Lost their way. Not able to go after grants. Upper management out of touch with the work.

Abt Associates2019-08-26
  10. "Abt Associates pros"

Former Employee - Team Lead - Community and Adolescent Outreach

I worked at Abt Associates full-time

Pros

Abt Associates espouses a supportive environment for staff

Cons

Salary structures may differ sharply for the same job role depending on your salary history which in my view is not good

Advice to Management

Continue investing in human resource

Abt Associates2019-08-20