Abt Associates "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Abt Associates Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 13 Aug 2019

3.7
Abt Associates President and CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan
Kathleen L. Flanagan
Pros
Cons
  • "Like anywhere else, more discretionary benefits like flex time and remote work depend entirely on your manager, as does work/life balance in general(in 11 reviews)

• "Your personal experience will depend greatly on the dept you work in and the senior staff person/people who support most often(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Good experience working there"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and paid vacation

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get exciting and challenging work as a junior staff member

Abt Associates2019-08-13

"Great people and mission"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Attracts wonderful talent and passionate people. Good work life balance.

Cons

Annual increases are low and it’s hard to get promoted.

Abt Associates2019-07-25

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

smart and supportive colleagues, great culture and work-life balance, a lot of opportunities to learn

Cons

Lack of transparency from leadership; misguided corporate decisions; your experience may differ, depending on your position and field of study

Abt Associates2019-07-13

"Great mission-driven company with good work life balance, recently going through digital transformations"

Current Employee - Analyst in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, meaningful work, friendly and intellectual colleagues; learning account, mobility marketplace and commuter benefits

Cons

Digital transformations can give some major hiccups to the company and may be disorienting for some staff

Abt Associates2019-07-09

"Style over substance"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The recent office redesign means work spaces are generally well thought-out—rooms are color-coordinated and have shiny new furniture. There are also hoteling spaces with lockers for staff who normally work remotely or in a different office. Varidesks and other perks like fizzy water on tap are available throughout the office 5% 401k match is immediately vested—by far, the best perk from my perspective. Colleagues are generally a kind and friendly bunch.

Cons

The building’s location is a little depressing and hard to get to—I’m not sure how the company’s initiatives to be environmentally-friendly jive with an office park. It’s just so much easier to get here in a car. While there’s a shuttle, it stops making drop-offs pretty early, and there isn’t always a safe route to walk back with all the street repairs. To their credit, they do have a bike room. Cubicles for everyone, regardless of role. On one hand, this is very egalitarian—but it isn’t great for getting focus work done, or for fielding remote meetings. Some positions just aren’t suited to an open office, no matter how much white noise you pipe in. Leadership is very top-down—they make a point of “hearing people out” but there’s not a ton of candid discussion during various report-out meetings. Staff input doesn’t seem to get incorporated into decision-making, but that’s just from my limited perspective. Like anywhere else, more discretionary benefits like flex time and remote work depend entirely on your manager, as does work/life balance in general. I wouldn’t recommend the team I left, but I’m sure there are others that are ok.

Abt Associates2019-04-30

"Great company, great culture"

Current Employee - N/A in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Abt offers excellent work/life balance. There is a strong emphasis on learning and the company makes it possible to grow through formal learning and through other options such as marketplace mobility which allows you to connect and learn from other departments. There is a lot of flexibility in terms of work schedule. I find that many of my colleagues telecommute at least once per week.

Cons

There is a strong emphasis on meetings, which may not be everyone's preferred method of communication. However, it is nice to connect with others that may work remotely through these meetings.

Abt Associates2019-01-09

"Good company, hard time to be a govt contractor"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, and very nice people. Usually very good work/life balance.

Cons

Not very good growth opportunities, in my personal experience. It also happens to be a tough time to be serving the government, but that isn't the company's fault!

Abt Associates2019-01-26

"Analyst"

I worked at Abt Associates full-time

Pros

Surrounded by very smart, talented, and (mostly) very kind folks. Doing work that can have a positive impact on policy and practice. Decent work-life balance though things get hectic during proposals or prior to deliverable due dates.

Cons

Working on soft money is challenging. You are always chasing new contracts. Your personal experience will depend greatly on the dept you work in and the senior staff person/people who support most often. Most are good.

Abt Associates2018-06-08

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time

Pros

Great team, work/life balance, interesting work

Cons

Slow to promote, to grow

Abt Associates2018-01-29

"Inconsistent"

Former Employee - Project Manager/Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Abt Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work. Good work/life balance. Some opportunities to travel if you want that.

Cons

Little room for growth, low pay, no career development or mentorship for junior employees. Your experience will depend on the group you work in - some people in different departments love it there. I just happened to work with people who didn't care about my future with the company.

Abt Associates2018-01-23

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 71 reviews