Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Act-On Software CEO Andy MacMillan
Andy MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 10 reviews)

• There are awesome perks like free snacks, coffee, and catered lunch twice per week (in 8 reviews)

Cons

"Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Reading, England

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture
    A vibrant environment
    Free food and nice benefits and perks

Cons

Limited progression due to the size of the company, but growth is certain and that is when progressions will happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up to the good job.

"Culture has gone and sales not performing"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

What makes Act-On are the people you work with. Typically they're great fun and know what they're talking about.

The company has a very good work life balance and some of the management are very flexible regarding how you like to operate. You'll definitely get some autonomy!

Cons

Unfortunately sales have not been coming in as planned and so the company is not growing as expected. This means that salaries aren't increasing and quickly becoming uncompetitive, and there's very few promotion opportunities. The culture also took a huge hit last year and has not managed to recover.

Losing and lost a lot of talent in all levels of the organization!

Advice to Management

Tackle the culture. Fix this and get your employees happy, then success will follow.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, great work culture

Cons

Management needs to rethink strategy. Act on is an smb and needs to be treated like that. Its not a fortune 500 company- strategies that work there- will not work in smb segment

Advice to Management

Dont have a "I know it all attitude"

"Great place to work, great people"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Opportunities, great product, technologies, people

Cons

Over all benefits, first level management.

"CSM"

Current Employee - CSM
    Current Employee - CSM

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, product and culture. The CEO has a great vision which is very well communicated.

Cons

Salaries are under average and the career path could be better

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, product, and green field market. Could be the market leader with continued focus on the platform and the people that make a difference.

Cons

Improving brand awareness is happening but still not at their competitors level.

Advice to Management

Spend more on mass marketing

8. "Growing Pains"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and amenities

Cons

Untrained Management
    High pressure made for closing deals that didn't stick

"Great product, and an evolving company"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is really easy to use and there is clear demand for it in the market. Most of the team is very talented and fun to work with. They have some very smart people that drive innovation, and as long as you have a manager that will be your champion, there is a lot of room for career growth. The executive team has been building a much healthier and sustainable business than you would have seen at act-on 5 years ago. Andy, the CEO, is an incredibly smart guy and is moving the company in a good direction.

The training that has been offered in sales is really good. They bring in experts and do a lot of internal training on how to sell enterprise deals. Where there used to be little to no support for sales, there is now a lot of training, communication, and tools.

Cons

The company is recovering from years of bad management, and that means the employees have had to go through lots of change at every level. This has caused some cultural issues, esp. where middle managers still want to operate under the old rules (old boys club in sales). It can get to a level where people miss out on deals, promotions, or have to deal with harassment or sexism. There are parts of the business, especially in CS and marketing, where employees are worked into the ground and then leave, so they've experienced loss of talent.

Advice to Management

You are doing all the right things. Just remember to pay attention to what's happening with middle managers, especially in sales. The boys club mentality prevents the change that's needed to bring in more deals.

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average product at a lower price point then most of the MA competitors. Easy to sell because management will cut prices in half out of fear of losing the deal, they will also slash terms to get the new logo.

Cons

Good old boy system is in full effect. If you plan on working here get addicted to menthol cigarettes before hand so the middle management will like you as they spend most of their time smoking and talking about their teams in a not so positive light just before they make plans to hit a Roseville bar. Place runs light a fraternity/sorority.

Advice to Management

Stop with your my boy blue attitude and focus on developing the entire team and stop handing the resale accounts to your smoking buddies a la H Grades. You know who you are.

"Leading Provider in a hot market!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork! Everyone here is working towards the same goal and that is to be doing the best work of our lives and helping companies grow with our solutions. The people here genuinely care about your success and about the success of our customers. The product we represent is very solid and well positioned in the marketplace. Fast development cycles and fantastic internal communication (even with remote employees).

Cons

There is what seems to be constant change in process but it's for the better. I wouldn't want to be with a company that continues to do things that do not produce results.

Advice to Management

More of the same. We all know that the product speaks for itself and just need to get in front of more marketers. Brand awareness is beginning to pick up and Marketers/Competition are taking notice so we just need to keep doing what we're doing.