Action on Hearing Loss Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2020

2.1
Action on Hearing Loss Chief Executive Paul Breckell  (no image)
Paul Breckell
  1. "Worked in the Policy and Campaigns Team"

5.0
    Former Employee - Campaigner in London, England

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brilliant environment full of people who really care about hearing loss and disabled people's rights, as well as being passionate about their jobs. Everyone in the team is very intelligent and hard working and the team are lovely and supportive. Really enjoyed working here and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

No cons while I was there

Action on Hearing Loss Response

October 11, 2018Director of People

Hello. Thank you very much for taking the time to review your time at Action on Hearing Loss. It is great to hear that you enjoyed working both at the organisation and in the policy team. Noelia

2. "An enjoyable place to work, for a worthy cause with talented co-workers, but not without its organisational issues"

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Team Member in London, England

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very social atmosphere; Many passionate team members; Good work-life balance.

Cons

Low salaries; Little to no training or opportunity for progression.

3. "Standard"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Support Worker

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training. People passion partnership. Okay company

Cons

Financial difficuties higher up left company in difficulties

"Great cause but confusing strategy and constantly making cuts"

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss

Pros

Flexible working and hot dealing. Collaborative

Cons

Internal processes especially with finance are awful. Confusing strategy, high staff turnover and constantly making cuts.

"Depends if department"

Former Employee - Director in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very people orientated warm and friendly

Cons

Budget limitations and performance management

"A complete let down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working to help the hearing impaired

Cons

All departments are shutting down

"Poorly run charity"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Front line staff very committed, but can be poorly trained

Cons

Poor Leadership - culture of telling people what to do. CEO's have been self-serving

"Untrustworthy executive"

Former Employee - General Manager in London, England

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time

Pros

Nice people at the lower levels

Cons

Untrustworthy executive group who gamble with the finances of the organisation. No value for staff. HR/executive group flout employment laws regularly without any guilt The pay is far below expected levels for a charity. Staff turnover is high because people are not valued.

9. "Support work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Support Worker
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, rewarding work, hearing good things from the families of the people you're supporting

Cons

the pay grade for the work load

"Head Office have no understanding that treating staff badly has knock-on effects to clients"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Bath, England

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Opportunity to learn BSL, and AoHL will fund up to Level 2 dependent upon requirement in your unit -Vast majority of support staff and those in reception are great to work with and always friendly around the site -Very inclusive of Deaf/HoH staff within the units -Management within the units is generally pretty good, and I have a good relationship with my deputy and line manager -Emotionally rewarding

Cons

-Pay is nowhere near reflective of what the job entails. Essentially minimum wage (£8.29/hr) for a skilled job (I use 3 languages in my unit, before even going into support skills). NO overtime/weekend pay. Bank Holidays are only 1.5x pay (yes that includes Xmas). No opportunity for pay rises (in fact, every time national minimum wage goes up HO sends out an email to the effect of "We are very pleased to announce a pay rise across the board and honour some commitment to recognising staff achievement yadda yadda". Last time this was put up to a mere 8p above minimum wage. They try and take credit for minimum wage, it's absurd! And honestly just very disrespectful.) -If you do Sleep-In shifts, don't even expect minimum wage (unfortunately the government enables their behaviour on this one). The rate is £36/night (normally 8hrs) and this will commonly be as part of a 23hr+ shift, i.e. 2 regular shifts with a sleep-in sandwiched in the middle. -Say goodbye to any work-life balance. Particularly if you live in Bath or surrounding area. You'll be running yourself into the ground just to make ends meet. It makes absolutely no sense to pay minimum wage for a skilled job in an area where rent and cost of living is so damn high! On the plus side, there are always extra shifts available sure to chronically short staff -HO make terrible, terrible decisions and seem to think the charity revolves around them. They also never visit the homes and communicate with staff to find out what support they need. They simply hire a company (v. expensive from what I hear) to send out a Satisfaction Survey, after which, nothing changes. By far the two worst decisions were to move HO to London, and to change the name from RNID which lost us a lot of funding.

Found 34 reviews