Action on Hearing Loss Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Action on Hearing Loss Reviews

Updated 19 Aug 2019

Found 26 reviews

2.1
Action on Hearing Loss CEO Paul Breckell  (no image)
Paul Breckell
  1. "Worked in the Policy and Campaigns Team"

Former Employee - Campaigner in London, England

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brilliant environment full of people who really care about hearing loss and disabled people's rights, as well as being passionate about their jobs. Everyone in the team is very intelligent and hard working and the team are lovely and supportive. Really enjoyed working here and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

No cons while I was there

Advice to Management

None- really great team and great management that tailors their support to you and your career

Action on Hearing Loss2018-09-20

Action on Hearing Loss Response

October 11, 2018Director of People

Hello. Thank you very much for taking the time to review your time at Action on Hearing Loss. It is great to hear that you enjoyed working both at the organisation and in the policy team. Noelia

2. "Avoid Finance at all cost"

Former Employee - Finance Assistant in London, England

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible Working Hours (1 hour lunch, 10am-4pm) - Great people to work with

Cons

- No progression - No pay rise - Very bad leadership - Treats you like rubbish - Lack of acknowledgement with no rewards

Advice to Management

Sort it out promptly. It is like the Titanic, instead of people dying, the company is. Put money in the company, invest in staff and offer opportunities to those there, instead of allowing yourselves with bigger pays.

Action on Hearing Loss2019-08-19

"Head Office have no understanding that treating staff badly has knock-on effects to clients"

Current Employee - Support Worker in Bath, England

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Opportunity to learn BSL, and AoHL will fund up to Level 2 dependent upon requirement in your unit -Vast majority of support staff and those in reception are great to work with and always friendly around the site -Very inclusive of Deaf/HoH staff within the units -Management within the units is generally pretty good, and I have a good relationship with my deputy and line manager -Emotionally rewarding

Cons

-Pay is nowhere near reflective of what the job entails. Essentially minimum wage (£8.29/hr) for a skilled job (I use 3 languages in my unit, before even going into support skills). NO overtime/weekend pay. Bank Holidays are only 1.5x pay (yes that includes Xmas). No opportunity for pay rises (in fact, every time national minimum wage goes up HO sends out an email to the effect of "We are very pleased to announce a... pay rise across the board and honour some commitment to recognising staff achievement yadda yadda". Last time this was put up to a mere 8p above minimum wage. They try and take credit for minimum wage, it's absurd! And honestly just very disrespectful.) -If you do Sleep-In shifts, don't even expect minimum wage (unfortunately the government enables their behaviour on this one). The rate is £36/night (normally 8hrs) and this will commonly be as part of a 23hr+ shift, i.e. 2 regular shifts with a sleep-in sandwiched in the middle. -Say goodbye to any work-life balance. Particularly if you live in Bath or surrounding area. You'll be running yourself into the ground just to make ends meet. It makes absolutely no sense to pay minimum wage for a skilled job in an area where rent and cost of living is so damn high! On the plus side, there are always extra shifts available sure to chronically short staff -HO make terrible, terrible decisions and seem to think the charity revolves around them. They also never visit the homes and communicate with staff to find out what support they need. They simply hire a company (v. expensive from what I hear) to send out a Satisfaction Survey, after which, nothing changes. By far the two worst decisions were to move HO to London, and to change the name from RNID which lost us a lot of funding.

Advice to Management

Remedial Action: -Create an incentive for people to join us! As soon as potential new staff find out that AoHL does not offer a competitive wage (i.e. £9.50-£10/hr) they are back out the door. Personally I recommend implementing a pay rise system after certain qualifications such as BSL and NVQ have been passed. That way staff also feel their achievements are recognised, improving morale in the process. -Get... out of London and visit us! We need to feel listened to, and the Satisfaction Survey does a truly terrible job of this. We want to talk to YOU. We want you to understand the work we do and show you that we are deserving of more than minimum wage. Honestly, I'm sure the amount of negative feedback you'd receive at first will be huge. But as you listen to and understand us this will become more positive with time. -A bit more specific: Give line managers the ability to offer more pay for extra shifts that are difficult to cover. We're all understaffed and there are always gaps in the rota. If these gaps can't be filled by contracted workers doing overtime, or the dwindling relief worker bank, then we are forced to use Agencies. We pay these agency workers ~£15/hr to essentially do a little bit of cleaning. Why? Because 99% of them don't have any BSL communication skills. Honestly, it really seems like a no-brainer to offer contracted staff a little more to cover the shift (e.g. just £10-12/hr) and do excellent work with clear communication? When asked to cover extra shifts, workers don't feel the impact on their work-life balance by sacrificing a much needed day off is worth the meagre pay. AoHL is paying more for very low quality work (to be clear, I mean this as no disrespect to Agency staff who may be very good at other types of care/support, but to support Deaf people you MUST be able to communicate with them) and it just feels like a slap in the face to those of us who have been dedicating ourselves to the charity. Please respect us!

Action on Hearing Loss2019-07-24
  4. "A good job"

Current Employee - Community Support Worker in London, England

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in a deaf team Good salary

Cons

DBS checks takes a long time Long hours

Action on Hearing Loss2019-06-27
  5. "Awful management"

Current Employee - Support Worker in London, England

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of extra shifts and sleep ins

Cons

Too much paperwork, negative atmosphere, angry staff, bullying environment. Staff not valued. Company is clearly in decline. There is too much bureaucracy and rules.

Action on Hearing Loss2019-07-14

"Completely mistreated DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Support Worker, Cleaner, Chef, Doctor

I worked at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the beginning as any job I thought it was great minus the pay and a older senior staff who started to bully me but I was quickly told this was common practise and ‘part of her personality’ I had the pleasure of working with some of my best friends till they left and found better jobs. Also after a lot of pushing I managed to get the person I was key worker for a holiday. But more than anything I stayed as... long as I did because of the bonds I formed with the people I supported.

Cons

Work load Bullying in the workplace Scapegoated for a residents deaf so they wouldn’t get in trouble for cutting corners, also afterwards they tried to ruin my career by threatening to put something on my dbs which backfired as I didn’t do anything! No support ‘Sleep ins’ Rubbish pay Not enough training The list goes on..

Advice to Management

If you want decent staff to stay do not treat them as badly as you treated me :) Pay the staff more as they’re doing 101 things to the highest standard! Even after having no training in mental health/ autism/ dementia/ learning difficulties/Schizophrenia ...

Action on Hearing Loss2019-05-31
  7. "Poor charity to work for"

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible, good dedicated staff, clients very happy for help given.

Cons

Too many to mention - would not work here again

Action on Hearing Loss2019-05-19
  8. "Good and bad."

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss part-time

Pros

High quality training.Committed colleagues...who work very hard to improve the lives of the people they support.Varied work load.Rewarding.

Cons

Too many interim staff.Poor management by Senior staff who have now virtually all left with a consequent lack of accountability for their poor decision making.Lack of transparency..Poor pay at the grass roots level.

Advice to Management

Recognise the true worth of the staff you employ in Care and Support,we need to feel both valued and valuable to the organisation.

Action on Hearing Loss2019-02-02
  9. "Thoroughly enjoyed working within Care & Support for 11 years"

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff are passionate about supporting vulnerable people and really go the extra mile. My team have been amazing and completed such positive work, changing lives for people who are deaf with additional needs. I have met many lovely people who I now call friends. I have had great opportunities too.

Cons

It’s not the best paid organisation.

Action on Hearing Loss2018-12-31

"Workers feel unvalued"

I have been working at Action on Hearing Loss full-time

Pros

Good teams, people really care about the cause, a lot of great opportunities to get out to the Services and meet the people we support.

Cons

Management don't care about staff, high turnover, money is wasted on temp agency staff, knowledge is often lost due by not caring for long term workers (10 years and up). CEO doesn't listen to anyone, not even staff council, and some of the EG never learn from their mistakes.

Advice to Management

Start talking to your staff more

Action on Hearing Loss2018-05-26

Action on Hearing Loss Response

October 11, 2018Director of People

Hello. I am sorry that you have some concerns about us as an employer. I have recently taken on the Director of People role and am keen to ensure that staff have a platform to share their concerns. If you would like to share them with me please contact askhr@hearingloss.org.uk ...

Found 26 reviews