Adam Matthew Digital Reviews

Updated Nov 24, 2021

Found 6 of over 6 reviews

2.9

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Nov 24, 2021 - Human Resources Business Partner in Swindon, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, welcoming and very interesting place. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Cons

A bit out in the sticks: Marlborough is a lovely town but doesn't have the best transport links.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Account Development

Feb 9, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits - Incredible company culture - Really look after employees - The clients you will be working with are second to none

Cons

None! A truly fantastic company that I would recommend to anyone!

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Digital publisher with great product

Aug 4, 2021 - Regional Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

A collaborative, warm and adaptable company culture. Adam Matthew are a genuinely loyal employer that offer career opportunities for young and developing staff. When I was at Adam Matthew we always worked collaboratively with both archives and libraries, and this made my job easier and more satisfying - we did whatever we could to support the people we worked with and the company genuinely values and supports individual relationships. I found AMD to be a very ethical employer that always encouraged me to act with honesty and integrity (this was very much appreciated). AMD are a publisher of digital resources and innovative tech tools who are committed to producing the highest quality materials, and they understand that this is core to their success. The business has grown strongly over recent years and I expect this to continue with the ongoing support of their parent company.

Cons

I personally had no complaints during my time at AMD. They are not not one of the largest publishers/companies, but the upside is most staff will therefore have some direct contact with senior management.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Editorial Assistant, Production

Oct 18, 2019 - Editorial Assistant in Marlborough, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Adam Matthew for almost exactly a year as an editorial assistant and feel that my experiences were fairly typical of an Editorial Assistant in Production. AM are willing to employ humanities graduates straight out of university with little to no prior experience, whilst the pay won't make you rich I would say it is broadly speaking fair for the job you do. I never felt any pressure to stay late at work or to take work home with me, which does allow for a good work life balance. The staff wellbeing committee is a good idea and does help a little in creating a social environment.

Cons

I've tried to be as fair as possible and not let the fact that I ultimately didn't enjoy my time at AM colour what I consider cons. -The job description for Editorial Assistant Production suggested to me that I would spend a reasonable amount of time visiting archives, writing content such as resource introductions and blog posts and liaising with academics. The reality is that these tasks are pretty occasional and the vast majority of work you are likely to do is filling in spreadsheets (often just copying and pasting vast swathes of information into them) or clicking through thousands of digital images to quality check them. Both of these are quite repetitive tasks and do make you wonder why the company has such a focus on the academic excellence of it's editorial assistants. Whilst the 'fun' jobs can be quite enjoyable they only represent a few hours work in a project's lifecycle and you may well be on that project for 6 months to a year. Repetitive or technical tasks make up the bulk of the work of an editorial assistant. I know many within the department had taken the job as a stepping stone towards something in the heritage sector or print publishing, if this is you I would not recommend applying for the job. Personally I did not feel I required a degree to do the job I did. -The management culture at AM leaves rather a lot to be desired. Many amongst the senior management are quite aloof and tend not to bother to interact with those lower in the company. There are also some amongst senior management who hold quite a patronising view towards editorial assistants and often write-off what are quite legitimate complaints from them. At all levels of management at AM there tends to be a peculiar reluctance to give praise. Instead it is very common to be told what you did wrong or what you could improve, rather than to receive praise for what you did well. Ultimately the response from management is much the same whether you work really hard or just coast doing the bare minimum, this isn't exactly conducive to making you work at your best. Something I also experienced was a feeling that if management felt you were getting too comfortable they seemed anxious to cut you down to size, often in the forms of 'complaints' lodged by senior management, or by finding (relatively minor) issues with the quality of your work. Ultimately I did not feel valued as an employee at AM, I felt like I was considered to be expendable and did not feel like any or the skills or experience I gained in my year there were particularly recognised. -Progression within Production is not particularly clear, promotions sometimes seem a bit confusing and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who is and isn't promoted. It is not particularly clear how one might go about progressing within the department. -Diversity at AM leaves quite a lot to be desired, the company has a very definite white middle class feel to it, whilst I understand this is an industry wide probably, and the area doesn't necessarily lend itself to diversity I do feel that AM could do more to encourage a wider variety of people to join AM and then to feel welcome once they've joined. There is a very set character that many at AM conform to and if you are different from this it can feel quite difficult to fit in within the company. I don't feel this is a conscious decision on the part of the company, but is certainly a product of employing a large number of people that are very similar.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Adam Matthew Digital

Apr 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A niche business operating within an interesting sector

Cons

Adam Matthew present themselves as a modern, progressive company. Unfortunately, beneath this veneer is a dysfunctional organisation struggling to evolve and adapt and a workforce constantly subjected to the whims of the Directors. Employees are denied access to resources and information essential to allow them to meet their objectives. As an example, where an essential function of a role might be, say, the procurement of goods and services, yet there is no access to a budget, nor inclusion in relevant meetings or discussions, then decisions based on sound rationale are vetoed with friends, acquaintances and historic associates being given preference. Things are done on a ‘need to know basis’ and regrettably, who needs to know what is decided on the basis of how a person looks, or their accent, or whether they went to the right university rather than their skills, experience and industry knowledge. Directors display a lack of experience in how modern businesses function. Archaic practices and processes persist with a thick layer of middle management making decisions by committee, often resulting in confusion and procrastination as egos compete to have their own personal opinion take precedence, however lacking they are in understanding that particular discipline or process. The resulting culture is one of micromanagement with employees disempowered, emasculated and repeatedly hindered in their ability to accomplish even the basic objectives of their role. Professionals, with many years of experience, are denied the opportunity to use those skills and are left frustrated yet denied any opportunity to address these issues. It would be easy to dismiss this opinion as that of a disgruntled ex-employee, but I think the level of staff turnover speaks for itself

6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Small company with big problems

Mar 2, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

– Good stepping stone for graduates/interns looking to start out in editorial/publishing space - Various social activities for staff to get involved in outside of work hours - Interesting work to get involved in, in a niche space - 1hr lunch

Cons

- Senior Management lack basic leadership skills/experience - Dated management style, tangible ‘them and us’ divide between senior management and rest of workforce - Inflexible hours, staff generally not trusted to manage their own time/workload (below Senior management level) and are micromanaged extensively (at all levels) - VERY high staff turnover for business of its size; large proportion of staff do not stay long, are terminated prior to passing probation or are ‘nudged’ to resign by management Significant emphasis is placed on new recruits having ‘the Adam Matthew character’, this phrase is used extensively in the office and creates a peculiar culture whereby staff must all conform to a particular set of behaviours/attitudes that, to this day, remain undefined. I am unable to articulate what the ‘Adam Matthew character’ is, but I can confirm that staff have had their contracts terminated due not having the correct ‘character/personality’ that management deems necessary for recruits to be successful in their roles. Being shy is not one of the desirable attributes, and nor is suffering from any kind of mental health issue such as stress/anxiety. This toxicity and medieval mindset are, unfortunately, deeply rooted at the very top of the management chain and I have seen no attempts to try to rectify this; it is very much a case of 'put up and shut up' or you are out. I would advise anyone to think carefully before resigning a role to start at Adam Matthew Digital and really weigh up the risk, I have seen multiple instances where contracts have been terminated or staff pushed to resign (mostly prior to probation being passed), resulting in them being made unemployed with no legal rights to contest their treatment. I would urge anyone thinking about joining to ask about how the vacancy they are interested in first became available, how long the last employee was in it and the reasons why they left or were terminated.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews