Admiral Group Graduate Trainee Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 1, 2015

3.5
Admiral Group CEO David Stevens
David Stevens

"Love the company & the graduate scheme!"

Current Employee - Graduate Trainee in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Admiral Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Own responsibility - not just making cups of tea, but have my own workload and projects - Large variety of opportunities available - Flexibility on the grad scheme - location and number of months - Flex-time - Central Cardiff location - Staff benefits - free fruit, gym membership - The culture - FUN! - what other company lets the department have an afternoon off to do a treasure hunt around Cardiff?

Cons

- Pay could be seen as a con - but I enjoy what I do and the benefits make up for it.

Admiral Group2015-12-01

Admiral Group Response

July 19, 2017Digital Recruitment Executive

Hello Current Employee, Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. It’s great to hear you’re enjoying your role with us and all the benefits we have here. We hope you continue to have a happy and prosperous career with us. If we can do anything to support you in your future career, of course you can get in touch with your Graduate buddy or a member of the Graduate recruitment team, or feel free to reach People Services at workwithus@admiralgroup.co.uk. Thanks, Amy

Continue reading

"A Negative Experience"

Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Admiral Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Loose Work Culture, Working Hours

Cons

So, in essence, you need to ask yourself whether you belong at Admiral Group or not. They do not hire top talent because they are not given the money for it, and you need to be very careful about going someplace you will not fit in. Unfortunately, this was my tale. I wanted to write a very acerbic review, and I certainly had the material for it, but at the end of the day, I realized that I parted ways with the organisation at my discretion, because we were not compatible with each other. I am a very energetic, hard-working individual who is extremely well qualified, and who seeks qualifications and improvements wherever they exist (that is not hyperbole, that is fact). As Admiral does not hire top talent, I was not able to communicate effectively with anyone and felt extraordinarily out of place at the organisation. People began acting ugly around me because they could not match my productivity or the pride I took in my work, and attempted to force me out and/or lower my standing via rumours, running gags, jokes at my expense, so on and so forth (and believe me when I say that I have enough incidents I could repeat here to get a few people fired). I want to be nice here and be very careful to say that I don't blame the people that work in this organisation, because I do not hold ill-will for them, but you, the reader, need to be very mindful of what is likely to happen if you're one type of person in a very different type of environment. Off of my soapbox, the organisation has a disingenuous practice of paying their employees very little, and then pushing the idea of a happy workplace that everybody seems to have bought into. Its nonsense. They compensate poor pay with throwaway gestures like free fruit, and gym membership, while they rack the savings into their annual profit figures. I don't want to use strong terms like this, but the company is organised like a sweatshop - a good-looking sweatshop, but a sweatshop nevertheless. The building is completely open-plan, with the bosses sat right by their teams, and their bosses watching right behind them, like overseers in factories. They spin this as something that fosters good communication, which it may well do, but I suspect what it's really about is keeping an eye on the employees. It's an almost creepy feeling you get talking to some of the employees - everybody feels underpaid, nobody wants to be there (not really), but everybody seems happy, like they've been brainwashed into thinking that way, because they've been given free fruit every single workday and their manager is right by their side to remind them of this fact in case anybody acts up. I don't know, there's certainly something to be said as to the quality of the facilities, but Admiral doesn't invest in its people, and its a point that's always brought up but nothing's done about it, as though its a part of the plan. They roll out food for people at the end of the month because the implication is that they've spent all of their money. If the employees were paid properly, first, there wouldn't be the money to give out food, and secondly, they would in theory then have the money to feed themselves at the end of the month. For a company that says how much of a people business it is, it sure sounds like it's trying to compensate for something. I think that thing might be employee pay, and I think that's why they say that they're a people-driven business to begin with.

Continue reading