Advanced Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

3.4
Advanced CEO Gordon Wilson
Gordon Wilson
Pros
  • "Good work life balance and culture(in 37 reviews)

• "It has great work environment and work life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Bad Senior Management & their politics(in 23 reviews)

• "UK development team was made redundant, developers in India have no clue(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

I am blessed to be an employee at Advanced :)

5 Oct 2020 - Support Consultant in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work life balance, everyone is really friendly, great management, very caring environment, lots of perks to the job.

Cons

recruitment process can be lengthy

3 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Executive

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Advanced so far. There's some really positive comments you've made, which is brilliant to hear! Glad to hear all is going well in your first year, and long may that continue!

2. 5.0

Opportunities

10 May 2021 - Senior Presales Consultant in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities for all in a true meritocracy

Cons

Need to be prepared to embrace change

Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! It's great to see you calling out opportunities as a real benefit and you've hit the nail on the head - we truly believe and operate as a meritocratic business. Glad you're enjoying your time with the business so far, and long may it continue!

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor management, unrealistic expectations & toxic environment

6 May 2021 - Service Desk Analyst in Datchet, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the senior analysts was really helpful to teach me everything and be there when I needed help, he was the only senior who would treat you with respect if you were stuck on something.

Cons

Poor management -micromanaging employees by demanding them to time record on a desk supporting the NHS where the workload is already far too large, no wrap-up times after calls for workers and senior management also took away comfort breaks as they were blaming analysts for the poor performance of the desk, however, training is somewhat non-existent and it is very much a management versus employees situation. Swearing and unprofessionalism in meetings from management. My line manager only had a few conversations with me and did not demonstrate any care for employees - only when complaints were put in when they had to do so. I also heard someone's resignation letter was read aloud in the office. They expect you take calls constantly, record your time and take no comfort breaks. Dealing with end-users who have no respect for the failing service. All of this is really serious because it contributes to a decline in wellbeing, especially mental health. Poor salary too.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

One Advanced!

9 May 2021 - Associate Service Desk Analyst in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have only recently joined Advanced and have thoroughly enjoyed my time so far with the company. I had very limited IT experience before joining the company but have quickly become familiar with the software and processes required to fulfil the role, this has been largely due to an onboarding process that has been first class. Team leaders and management are approachable, knowledgeable and always willing to help. I have found my role on service desk to be fast paced, challenging and rewarding.

Cons

I have not experienced any in my tenure to date

Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! It's great to see you call out your onboarding experience as a real positive, as well as your approachable and knowledgeable management team! I'm glad you're enjoying your time with the business so far, and long may it continue!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

A good company to work for

6 May 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ample training Lots of opportunity to progress within the company Able to work alongside a scope of different areas to build your skills

Cons

Entry level salary is low Can sometimes be hard to execute and idea to implementation as there's a lot of people/ hoops to jump through

Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! It's great to see you enjoying your time with the business so far, especially calling out the progression opportunities and diversity and inclusion initiatives! I would like to understand your comments around implementing new ideas in a little more detail, so if you're happy to do so, please email me at jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com. Thanks again for leaving a review, and I wish you all the best in your time with us!

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

You get what you pay for

3 Mar 2021 - Marketing in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some lovely people who are competent at their jobs, although I'm not quite sure why they are still at Advanced. Perhaps their a little masochistic.

Cons

A company that is ruled by a spreadsheet can only achieve what the spreadsheet allows them to see. This is a technology business that is deeply concerned about squeezing their margins rather than using the tactics and experience of many business they have acquired which achieved amazing growth rates. As someone once said to me 'Advanced was a great software business in the 90's and its still a great software business in the 90's'. If you want to compete with the top dogs you need to start acting like them. Stop trying to control and standardise practice when you have 60 products. The strategy for each one is individual. The salaries are shocking and there is no way that great talent will stay with you unless you pay what the market is willing to offer. Your current 'talent strategy' of underpay and wag a bonus under people's noses is breeding a culture of mediocracy and discontent. You get what you pay for. Also don't kid people with your diversity initiatives. There isn't a single non-white or even non-native English speaker on the CXO level.

8 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Executive

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. I assume from the reviews that you have left that you joined us in the last few months as a result of an acquisition. I’m not sure what’s happened that has left you feeling this way, but I am sad to see that you have not enjoyed your time with us. I don’t speak for everyone in Advanced, but some of the comments made in the review are inaccurate.  For those people visiting our profile who may not understand the context, I want to correct some of these below. 1. We were never a "great software business in the 90s". We were founded in 2008. We are the UK’s 3rd largest software business, a position we’ve achieved through the application of our significant expertise and our approach to customer satisfaction. 2. We don’t have 60 products, we have a lot more than that. We’re very proud of the impact and value each and every one of them delivers to not only our customers, but their customers too – the students, patients, carers, fans and fundraisers whose lives we help to make an impact on. 3. Our Talent Strategy is about opportunity. We are incredibly proud of the opportunity we have given to hundreds of different people, from all walks of life, irrespective of background. We recruit on potential and not experience, and our approach has helped to develop many, many careers. 4. The Diversity Pay Gap report we are publishing later this month will explore some of your feedback around representation amongst our leadership team. However, it will also demonstrate the progress we’ve made in building a truly diverse business that is representative of the communities in which we’re based. There is nothing negative to be found in our recent D&I initiatives, which have generated really positive conversation and change around inclusion and garnered fantastic feedback from across our business. This is reflected in the new D&I review metric on this very platform, and criticism of our efforts in this area is unfair. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. Nick Gallimore

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

Generally good, but not as people-oriented as they'd like to believe

10 May 2021 - Software Engineer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fair pay - Bonus scheme is good, and a transparent process - Nice people - Visible and approachable senior leadership team

Cons

- Career advancement is slow, difficult and tortuous - Bit of a clique culture (i.e. it's about who you know)

Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to see you call out fair pay and bonus as pro's, as well as our colleagues and senior leadership - transparency and getting a fair deal are two critical aspects to our organisation. I am disappointed to see the cons around career advancement and the culture. Offering career growth and opportunity is one of our driving principles, and I am really keen to understand your comments around this more, so please email me at jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com so I can help. Thanks again for your review, and your time with the business so far!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great

28 Apr 2021 - Support Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team and work ethic, benefits

Cons

Salary is not the best

Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for leaving a review! It's great to see you call out the benefits and our colleagues as real highlights. Ensuring all of our people receive a Fair Deal is something that we are passionate about, and I am keen to understand your comments further to see why that may not be the case. Please email me at jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com to discuss further. Thanks again!

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Diabolical... save yourself the breakdown and apply elsewhere!

30 Apr 2021 - IT Service Desk Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Only Pro in the Slough office was the architectural design although after a few days working there you’ll quickly want to run through the glass walls to escape.

Cons

My time in the Slough office was completely atrocious. I am not afraid of hard work but they will work you till you no-longer feel sane. The more work you do, the more they will want you to work harder. When you have burnt yourself out from complete exhaustion, they will compare you with your colleagues and their progress but forget to remember each person has their own strengths. Management is something else altogether. If you get on well with year 7 mentality then you will get along great with the management team. You will be placed in uncomfortable positions many a time as you will notice particular staff are shown complete and utter favouritism and will be given less consuming tasks. You will try to do your work and will have to listen to management degrade colleagues and often will hear your own name in these conversations as management forget they are supposed to show professionalism and believe they are above everyone else. The senior team are a bit hit or miss. There are some members of the team you will go above and beyond to make sure you are okay and will try to help as much as they can. The other member will consistently show complete and utter hypocrisy when you do try and come to them for help and will have separate personalities for who they speak with. Without majority of the senior team, staff would leave within their first week. The management team will try to be “Mental Health Advocates” but will sit there and make fun of the team and then wonder why people leave as quick as they do! You will end up having panic attacks or crying in between calls to clients and will hear management team then make fun of you for having these issues. It doesn’t help that the managers are a bit too close if you catch my drift! So there is no point in complaining to either as they will just discuss you around the dinner table that evening and try to gaslight you in meetings to make them seem as if they are just trying to help. It also does not help to hear management get annoyed with people who have put in their notice as in the lovely words of management they do not feel as if just because staff are resigning should not have their opinion heard. Micromanagement is a bit of an issue as it is great to collect data and see the efficiency of each SDA but it is very time consuming and not as effective as it seems. As for communication, management will completely ignore you via MS Teams and text message! Believe me, I have tried several times to get a response! I could write a book on the experience I have had here but I will keep it moderately short.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of opportunity if you look for it

22 Jan 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture - which is one of "have a go and see what happens" whether this is getting a new role you've never had before or undertaking a project from an idea the company is very open to new things. If you're keen and open to getting into new things there are so many opportunities. You are expected to work hard but for those that do there is recognition and reward. The growth through extra companies is brings security of a busy vibrant company with lots to learn and lots to do.

Cons

There's a lot of change, its very fast paced and that means sometimes high workload and with so much going on its sometimes easy to see worklife balance have a wobble with long hours to get everything done.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! It's really great to see you have enjoyed your experience with Advanced and long may it continue!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 576 Reviews