Advanced Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 18 Jul 2020

3.6
Advanced CEO Gordon Wilson
Gordon Wilson
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Bad Senior Management"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at Advanced full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible hours if you take on additional responsibilities from senior management - Although the employees are not valued, good relationship within the operations team - Progress a lot individually due to bad senior management

Cons

- Payed under the market rate - high turnover of valued employees. - low diversity, has an old boys club environment -Senior Management regularly passing on responsibilities to new recruits - Senior management regularly taking credit from new recruits contributions - no progression, no annual salary increase, no training provided by senior management. - Unrecognised overtime, focused on maintaining service regardless of the workload - no management methodology applied, only focused on results. - Lots of lip services, processes does not apply to reality of the workload - bad contract agreements, requiring you to fulfill more than the company can provide - Lack of diversity, and the 'boys clubs' formed by senior management results to responsibilities being passed on to the non-elites, with less pay. - high possibility of being recruited on a slave contract, once used you'll be let go. - Contractors are treated poorly - employees with lower positions forced to fill in their senior management's position with expectations given they'll be rewarded - Also known to be promoted with the expectation of a higher salary, once agreed and your title is changed, you'll only receive a 10% salary raise (50% below the standard market rate). - Noticed female employees are treated as PAs, under-payed and are getting the 'bad jobs' they have been and still are unfairly treated.

October 7, 2020Employer Brand Executive

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Diversity and Inclusion is something we are very passionate about. We are incredibly proud of our internal mobility and recruitment philosophy, ensuring that all our recruitment is done without bias and with due process to ensure fairness and consistency. I would like to discuss your comments in further detail, so please email me at jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com.

"Underpaid, undervalued, undermined"

Former Employee - Consulting

I worked at Advanced full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Mailbox office is modern and well-decorated. Some of the more experienced staff who have been working in their field for years are knowledgeable and helpful. If you're a work-shy graduate, you can still get into a middle-management position at Advanced through sheer whinging and management flattery.

Cons

The Mailbox office is informally referred to by staff as "the campus" for a reason - it is overrun by recent graduates who are seemingly there only to have a good time, brown-nose senior management and objectify and degrade the women of the office. The attitude of the vast majority of the Sales, Marketing and HR departments is medieval at best with it being open knowledge that some members of the Sales team have a complaints file longer than Advanced's 2019 order book. These same members of Sales are not only rewarded and promoted, they are taken on annual trips abroad and revered in the company as examples to follow - and yet management wonder why graduates are leaving the company in droves. The hiring process is similarly farcical, with HR reps openly boasting about the fact they don't review CVs (one of the many reasons why such mediocre 'talent' is recruited) and I heard multiple people say that they failed or didn't sit the 'mandatory' CCAT test - only to be offered a position anyway. Internal interviews are no different, as the one senior position I saw advertised was clearly intended for an (unqualified) existing favourite. Upon the Head of Department realising this person had zero relevant experience for the job, a new position was created to placate the employee due to Advanced's 'shout loud enough, and eventually someone will give you what you want' culture. The office atmosphere in the Mailbox is similar to that of an all-inclusive holiday, with flirting, 'banter' and lunchtime drinking taking precedence over conversation and professionalism. Management favourites will invent excuses to get other graduates in trouble, given verbal warnings and ultimately driven out of the company. If you've neglected to spend every spare minute sucking up to your manager and someone else complains about you, don't expect any attempt to hear your side of the story to be made. In terms of the internal training offered by HR reps, you'd be more intellectually challenged by completing crossword puzzles in the Metro. External training (Prince 2, apprenticeships) is better, if you can convince your manager to pay for it. Even if you do manage to get promoted above the tens of other people desperate to progress, it's easier to get blood out of a stone than it is get a pay rise approved by HR. Ironically, when you then leave for a better-paid job elsewhere, they'll have no trouble finding the money to pay the salaries of the three people required to replace you. Avoid at all costs.

October 7, 2020Employer Brand Executive

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry to hear that you feel so strongly about some of the comments you have made, this certainly is not how we would want anybody feeling about working for Advanced. If you would be happy to discuss this further and share a little more detail, please contact me directly at Jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

"Good company but treat you like kids"

2.0
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Advanced full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues, workplace, Location and desk space.

Cons

Salary and Some senior management.

December 2, 2019Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your feedback in greater depth. I encourage you to please email me directly so we can discuss further; alex.arundale@oneadvanced.com

"its who you know!"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in London, England

I worked at Advanced full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there are opportunities to learn alot

Cons

you wont move up the ladder unless you are close to senior management.

December 2, 2019Group HR Director

5. "Inevitable Changes Following Takeover and Office Closures"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Advanced full-time

Pros

There were some really good staff across the various teams. This comes from a long time before the major acquisition. Advanced is formed of many smaller business that came together following multiple acquisitions. This meant that the teams were really close and had a lot of expertise in their field.

Cons

As with any acquisition and "streamlining process" this meant a lot of change in a short amount of time. Primarily this resulted in most of the local office being closed, resulting in a lot of staff leaving the business. Most of which had been there for a long time and most knowledgeable in terms of product. The knock on effect was a lot of ill feeling towards the senior management team. Office atmosphere was terrible and not a place that felt productive.

March 25, 2020Employer Brand Executive

Thank you for sharing your views and for highlighting everything that you have, especially the great people here and the expertise they have. As you're aware, change is a difficult process to manage, and if you would like to discuss further I would like to talk about your experience with us. If this is something you wish to do, please feel free to email jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com. Thank you again for posting your review, and I wish you all the best for the future.

"Good experience but frustrated by senior management"

Former Employee - Payroll Administrator in Birmingham, England

I worked at Advanced full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great relationship with line manager, good location, good colleagues who became friends, good work/life balance.

Cons

The senior management didn't support our department and were reluctant to expand our team or provide any learning or development so ultimately I was forced to go elsewhere. Only when I said I had another job offer did they jump to keep me but it was too little, too late.

June 25, 2019Head of Talent

Hi and thanks for stopping by to share your experience. Creating opportunities through Learning & Development are critical to us, so I am disappointed to hear that this was not your experience. I will pass your feedback on to our Leadership team.

"All the gear, no idea."

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Birmingham, England

I worked at Advanced full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office (mailbox) albeit the air-con system didn’t work correctly for 2 years. Nice environment, good atmosphere, some great friendships made. A very well marketed company.

Cons

Staff retention is a joke! The company hires most of its staff as graduates straight from uni, rather than people with experience. I was actually employed due to my experience and was promised so much which didn’t materialise. HR is heavily involved in everything, they hinder all recruitment and promotion, rather than recruit and promote people with accolades, experience and knowhow, they make people do role plays and ridiculous other stuff to gauge whether you would be suitable! Rather than promote or employ people with proven track records; essentially they are allowing good actors get higher positions rather than the right people! The arrogance of the company is obvious, thinking they can train graduates to their standards and have everyone fit a certain model, then wonder why everyone leaves! They do not welcome any outside ideas. Upon leaving I put numerous complaints into HR about how I had been treated, none of which were ever acknowledged. Management put on a good show, having various town hall meetings to discuss company activity, but they pay no attention to what really drives the business, I.e the people! Whilst there (in under 2 years) 6 people from my team left, new staff were employed and also left in the time I was there. My line manager, who did his best and I have nothing against, was completely at the mercy of senior management!

June 25, 2019Group HR Director

"Successful company but just focused on the numbers"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Derby, England

I worked at Advanced full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great IT equipment Good HR team Great marketing team

Cons

Some people employed who are not very effective but friends with the senior management Focused on costs Board should listen to staff more Had a future leaders programme but no development on there.

"Schizophrenic"

I worked at Advanced full-time

Pros

A well backed and resourced business, for those early in their careeer ladder a great place to get experience, learn process and rapid career progression In The early stages. It’s business practice to deliberately promote ahead of capability and minimal experience. The people are a great asset and keep you motivated.

Cons

Be under no illusion it’s all about keeping costs as low as possible in every area (hence promote young and not yet capable rather than replace with external Experience). This affects everything from customer support, to even getting your salary/commission processed correctly. Investment in product and support below what is required to have a viable solution and ensure customer retention. Customer experience is extremely poor which after a time calls into question your own values. Matrix reporting means the sector specialisation is lost; running a multi sector, multi product, organisation in a rigid homogenous fashion just doesn’t work. Everything is death by committee and More time spent reporting and in internal meetings than progressive customer facing activities. Vista bought a bag of bolts, didn’t do it’s due diligence properly and the senior management is only I nterested in getting the numbers right to sell on, not the middle or long term viability of each sector and its products. Accountability is given but authority isn’t. For those coming from an Oracle or MICROSOFT May thrive here, for those that were part of the original machine or used to smaller corporates maybe not.

March 25, 2020Employer Brand Executive

Thank you for sharing. We are sorry to hear that you feel so strongly about some of the comments you have made, this certainly is not how we would want anybody feeling about working for Advanced. If you would be happy to discuss this further and share a little more detail, please contact me directly at jordan.cooper@oneadvanced.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

"Talented People - Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Advanced full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the work that I do, as I get exposure to some great technologies. Some very enthusiastic and talented people that want to make a difference. Opportunities to learn new systems.

Cons

Senior management engagement is almost non-existent. Inability to retain key staff. Empty promises in expanding an already very small and over-stretched team. Failure to deliver on contracted bonuses. Unwilling to invest in a testing environment for core, business critical application. Unwilling to invest in high performing, low paid staff. I've barely been managed in almost a year.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 English Reviews