Alarm.com "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Alarm.com Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 29 Apr 2019

4.3
Alarm.com President and CEO  Steve Trundle (no image)
Steve Trundle
Pros
  • "Extensive training opportunities, fun co-workers, and a relaxed work environment(in 17 reviews)

• "The run-ins I've had with senior management have been very enjoyable experiences and there is a true work/life balance here(in 12 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun environment and challenging work"

Current Employee - SOA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Alarm.com is fast-paced and customer-centric. I felt my on-boarding was really strong and my team lead cares about me as a person. The leadership team is always available and listens to our feedback. I come from retail and I like that here I have good benefits, paid vacation time and training and development opportunities.

Cons

Just your standard growing pains.

Alarm.com2019-04-29
  2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging work and high growth environment, company cares a lot about employee development and learning, great benefits and compensation, laid back culture, smart coworkers, a lot of internal growth opportunities

Cons

Growing pains- lack of seating and sometimes spread thin

Alarm.com2019-04-02

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the best job I've had. It's a growing company where you are able to contribute and add value on day 1. I feel my ideas and voice is heard, I have the ability to influence decisions and I work with such fun people! I appreciate the little things the company does to show their appreciation such as today's cookie event.

Cons

Some growing pains from going from a small company to a larger one.

Alarm.com2019-01-11

"Youthful, Fun and Inventive"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Alarm.com is innovative and inventive. The company culture is very employee happiness driven and their benefits programs are competitive and comprehensive especially for young professionals that are just starting their careers. The atmosphere is fun and makes you want to get up and go to work!

Cons

Because this company is growing so quickly it is experiencing some 'growing pains'. The Tyson's Corner area is also known for their traffic, so that could also be a negative, but Alarm.com is very metro accessible which is a nice alternative.

Alarm.com2018-11-19

"Good place to work at"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good culture and flexibility, you get to work on an interesting product.

Cons

Growing pains transitioning from a small company to a more mature one.

Alarm.com2018-11-10

"A Fantastic First Job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Alarm.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

To begin, I'd like to say I was spoiled by having this as my first job out of school. Fantastic culture with excellent employee benefits; plenty of responsibility but only as much as you want to take; bright, talented engineers who love what they're doing; and plenty of opportunity to own products/projects and to make a real difference both in the company and to end-users. The company itself is positioned well financially, with revenues derived from a subscription model from over 2 million active customers, and is growing quickly, yet it maintains an agile, low-bureaucracy feel. Speaking of growing quickly, the employee retention is superb. In my nearly 3 years with the company, I saw very few colleagues leave. Employee acquisitions to terminations was likely 25-to-1, and higher still for software engineers. I never once felt my job was at risk, and lay-offs were unheard of. Being a public company allows for profit incentives in the form of equity and options for employees. However, going public did not affect the culture much, in my opinion. Annual company retreats are still going as of 2017, management is not focused on stock price but still focused on the long-term success of the company, etc. I'm quite positive for the future of the company. My reason for moving on was almost purely based on numbers -- that and my recognizing that a more demanding work environment would likely benefit my career in the long-run by building my skills and discipline faster than this environment would simply because I had grown too comfortable. Internally motivated engineers looking to work in a fun and secure company, to own your own projects, and to make a real difference both within your organization and in customer's lives: look no further.

Cons

Again, I was spoiled by having this as my first job out of school. The flipside of this is that the relaxed work environment meant I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I should have. If you slack on your work, your advancement will suffer but there's no real discipline or repercussion from it, so it's too easy to simply "float by". As I said, responsibility is doled out at about whatever rate you want, so stagnation is dangerously easy. (Please note that the above likely varies substantially based on team. As a software engineer, my primary supervisor/manager was my team lead, and your experience will vary based on what team you end up on.) Some internal tools and processes (namely the lack of repository branches and a build process which "sucks in" all code as-is regardless of status of that code/ticket) are dated and need to be updated. These are mostly vestiges of a smaller company and their shortcomings are growing pains of a medium-sized-and-growing company. These processes/tools are being updated, but not quickly enough. Compensation is decent but not great. A good deal of my compensation was in the form of stock options, which profited nicely as the stock price had a very strong run since IPO. Base salary and performance bonus on their own are okay at best.

Alarm.com2017-01-08

"Can't imagine leaving this place anytime soon..."

I have been working at Alarm.com

Pros

-friendly, intelligent and passionate colleagues -entrepreneurial and innovative culture -very work hard, play hard (most of the time this is a pro but not always) -associates can have tons of responsibility and impact right away -industry tech leader within home security and automation

Cons

-a lot of the typical growing pains of a rapidly growing tech company but really there aren't any major cons

Alarm.com2014-11-08

"Fulfilling, team-based environment where initiative is recognized and rewarded"

Current Employee - Support Operations in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management (at least in my department) is supportive but mostly hands-off. Your career is basically what you make of it. The company is still small enough where hard work, accountability, and initiative is recognized and rewarded. Many new positions have been created on my team in order to address business needs and make greater use of individuals' talents. Culture is fun and supportive, coworkers are all great people. Salary is fairly competitive for the experience level of most employees in my department.

Cons

- Growing pains. Company is hiring and expanding rapidly, results in rapid changes and frequent organizational shakeups. - Career paths not very well-defined, promotions and advancement is merit-based, but not very structured

Alarm.com2014-08-22

"Once-in-a-lifetime experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and with highly qualified people across the whole company. Exceptional sales and marketing execution, great engineering talent and superior dealer support. Top notch people all throughout. CEO is a visionary.

Cons

The expected growing pains from a company that moves fast. Nothing that stands out as a concern.

Alarm.com2014-08-14

"New Hire"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Thorough two week training for all employees - provides exposure to different departments and really engrosses you in the company culture, products, and history -Flat organization - very collaborative -"Bite off as much as you can chew" mentality - make your own opportunities -Smart, motivated people -Work hard, play hard environment

Cons

-Growing pains - lacking in physical space, as well as clear structure and metrics for new roles -Location - high cost of living, traffic (might be getting a metro soon though)

Alarm.com2014-06-13