Alexander Mann Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Alexander Mann Solutions Reviews

Updated 14 December 2018

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is really good" (in 41 reviews)

• "Very progressive approach to flexible working, very family friendly policies" (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work is dependent on client demands, and this can sometimes impact work-life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "Rather slow career progression (but this was in my case so this is not entirely right for everyone)" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Head of Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working and a business with size & scale and great career mobility options

Cons

really can't think of many except clients often view us as purely an RPO provider

Advice to Management

Nil

"Always trying to be a great employer, but its being run way too lean financially!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is really driven as a priority by everyone and employee well-being is talked about a lot, with lots of effort put in to make it a reality, which is great. This includes a lot of work on flexible working and enabling people to work patterns/times etc that suit them. I think AMS is really setting a great example in this field. They also do a lot of CSR activities and the values of the business are really pushed through and so many people demonstrate them. Its the people make this company . They really are the foundation of the success AMS has had and they have so many ideas and really want to do well and work hard for the business. The ambition and desire to grow and innovate is really great and its always nice to see the company recognised for the various awards that it wins regularly.

Cons

The business is run so financially lean its unreal. There are so many teams especially in corporate functions but on accounts as well who are under-resourced or need better systems to be able to really do their job well, but there is no investment in the serious proper systems they need to do it. So many people work so hard just to keep things ticking over and operating and they wear themselves out because they want the business to do well and don't want to then be rated poorly in their performance review. Its a real shame when people at more entry level then get upset with the managers, because they themselves are under pressure to continually make savings all the time and reduce costs. It might well look to some people like good financial management, but to those doing the work, it often feels like torture. Trying to continually do more and more, but with less and less. The business was sold for a huge amount of money to new investors this year, and yet when we want to invest in new things we can't because its too expensive or it would eat into the profits that we have promised we will deliver to the new investors.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to make the company a great place to work and keep engaging with people.
    Please though, please stop stripping things back to the bare bones. Good people stay because of their colleagues, but you're burning those good people out. So many people work so hard because they want to see the company do well, but every year we end up spending at least half the year chasing after savings and any more strategic projects or ideas get canned again and again. Give the teams and the managers the support and investment they need. Being cost conscious is one thing, but handicapping everyone each year is hurting your people. Please, give us some breathing space and stop making the financial targets so ambitious so that we then spend our time trying to make savings everywhere, when we've already been set stretching budgets anyway.

3. "Overworked"

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time

Pros

Flexible working is a benefit

Cons

Do not have the resource to manage to demands of the client

"AMS review"

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time

Pros

AMS offer the flexibility to work from home and encourage a WLB.
    Very good atmosphere among team members, it is great to work alongside colleagues who continue to build eachother up.
    Opportunities to move across accounts and network with other colleagues in different industries

Cons

Poor bonus structure
    Career development and progression opportunities ought to be more standardised

5. "Love the company - but just watch what account you get"

Pros

Work life balance
    Inclusive atmosphere
    Friendly colleagues
    Really promotes an atmosphere of being involved in the culture of the company
    Relaxed office environment

Cons

My whole experience had been extremely up and down.
    I started on one admin account last year and was there for 6 months. I really loved the team and the feel of the role and the hours were great. Then after 6 months was told we were being moved to a new admin account. It all went downhill from there. Management was a joke, workload was insane. Team atmosphere was not good and led to multiple people leaving within 4 months. I was left managing one area of our team without any experience and no help from team lead.
    Workload spiralled because we had no staff to deal with it and no push back from management.
    I no longer work with the company and my experience has marred my opinion on reapplying to the company.

Advice to Management

Take more attention to admin teams. They may not be in the spotlight as much as sourcing accounts but they deal with a lot of work and don’t get any support or development opportunities within the centre.

"Dubious future"

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The legacy of the business is positive and externally, the marketing team are able to post a positive spin on it.

Cons

Heading down a generalist recruitment route. The specialisms the company once had are in decline and new appointments at a senior level are not condusive the AMS DNA.
    Work life balance is poor and the recent private equity investment means that an overly lean business is left trying to deliver unrealistic targets and unrealistic pressures being placed upon people.

Advice to Management

The company has lost its special positioning in the market. Pure financial gain has overtaken any focus on staff or client needs.

Alexander Mann Solutions Response

29 Nov 2018 – Director of People Capital

Please do get in touch to have a 1:1 discussion about your views, I would be very interested to hear more about your views on our recent appointments as well as explore more about your examples of... More

"Once your there a while you see things differently."

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work like balance and culture is probably the only pros I can think of.

Cons

Career development isn't standardised and differs from account to account making it an unfair experience.

Advice to Management

I think the problems are at the very top.

Alexander Mann Solutions Response

1 Nov 2018 – Director of People Capital

Thank you for your response. As a current employee, would you be prepared to share more of your experience of career development? Consistency of experience is very important to us - please do get in... More

"Good company that seeks to do the right thing"

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time

Pros

Great company that really sets out to break new ground and take its teams with it.

Cons

Only niggle would be that its cost management is extremely tight and more ground soldiers are needed everywhere, tries to do to much with too little.

9. "Supportive Employer"

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Bracknell, England
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Bracknell, England

I worked at Alexander Mann Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had great managers who were very supportive of me and very open to flexible working.

Cons

Whilst working there the sourcing team in Krakow was still under development which caused challenges, but the management were very keen to address issues to try and get them resolved.

"Not great at all"

Current Employee - Principal Resource Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Resource Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Alexander Mann Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1 day work from home
    Clock off at 5.30pm
    This organisation is okay if you want to be a robot and have no career aspiriations in life
    Induction is good but not out into practice when you join the client account you are assigned to
    All the people non management you work with are nice people

Cons

Average basic salary offering
    Awful bonus
    Limited benefits
    Management is very poor don’t feel like an AMS employee
    Limited structure and training
    Having managers who don’t know anything about process of the client account/ your role
    Don’t want to put hands in their pockets to hire more people and just left with stupidly high volumes (basically doing more than 2 peoples jobs because they haven’t charged the right model to their clients)
    No different to any other RPO company
    Limited flexibility
    Poor tools to use/ systems
    No updates/ visibility on new client service management roles

Advice to Management

Drastically improve your entire business model otherwise you will have no staff left.