Allens Australia Employee Reviews about "corporate services"

Updated 3 Feb 2018

3.9
Pros
  • "Interesting work and mostly very nice people(in 5 reviews)

• "Established law firm brand; well respected in the market(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and challenging environment(in 13 reviews)

• "A lot of backstabbing and feifdom type behaviors in corporate services(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "corporate services"

Return to all Reviews

"Non-legal corporate services (HR)"

2.0
    Senior Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Allens Australia for more than a year

Pros

Allens has a great profile and reputation amongst lawyers so it is very easy to attract good staff. Very well established policies and procedures in place. The Corporate Services department and the younger lawyers were friendly and appreciative.

Cons

I joined the Corporate Services department of Allens well qualified in my field and with great enthusiasm. I stayed with the firm for less than 2 years (my shortest tenure in 20+ years) and during this time lost a great amount of confidence mostly due to my interaction with many of the partners. Many were downright rude and showed no appreciation for the work done by HR. We were often blamed for things completely out of our control and it wasn't uncommon to be yelled at down the phone for no reason at all. Fortunately I saw the light and realised that I could be much happier in a different environment. I would not recommend this environment to people who dislike confrontation and may be somewhat sensitive to criticism.

"Corporate Services ie. non-legal departments are a disaster"

1.0
    Former Employee - Corporate Services in Sydney

I worked at Allens Australia full-time

Pros

Highly regarded law firm Interesting work and great career opportunities if you are a lawyer Top quality office buildings and catering

Cons

Corporate Services ie. non-legal departments are a disaster. Teams are highly staffed yet barely productive, as a lot of time is wasted on arguing, backstabbing, gossiping and office politics in general. Pay seems to be determined on an ad hoc basis and not based on your performance or work output at all, so if you are not happy with your pay there is not much you can do about it except leave.

"Completely dysfunctional"

1.0
    Current Employee - Corporate Services
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Allens Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice offices, if you're a lawyer. Decent IT equipment. Some co-workers are nice, intelligent and are good to work with. Gym membership is nice.

Cons

Lots of long term workers, which is not a benefit. A lot of backstabbing and feifdom type behaviors in corporate services. Non-lawyers are absolute fodder and have zero value to the firm. Revolving door of senior staff who are pushed out to protect the status quo. Below market pay. Wouldn't recommend.

4. "Great firm"

4.0

I have been working at Allens Australia full-time

Pros

Full of very smart people. Not market leading pay but quite good when viewed in light of the yearly targets. Flexible working arrangements. Very good perks. Generally an absence of micromanagement and an environment of empowerment. Partners are very down to earth.

Cons

Few. It sometimes seems that the tail (corporate services) is wagging the dog (the practice groups) somewhat but there's recent evidence to suggest that the balance is being corrected there. The fitout and working environment in some offices is a bit dated but a new premises lease will probably fix that.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.