Alley Cat Allies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1.7
Becky Robinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Animal advocate"

Current Employee - Cat Care Giver in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Cat Care Giver in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Animal (cat)
    rescue is the reason to work in this company

Cons

Upper management(ceo) talks down to all staff and talks behind their backs to other staff. People are not trusted.

Advice to Management

Start trusting staff and stop being mean

"As BAD as They Say"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Mostly awesome employees/coworkers.

Cons

At the time of this writing, 18 out of 26 reviews of Alley Cat Allies are one-star (only 4 five-star reviews that are obviously written by management or someone else hired to polish the turd that is this organization’s reputation). Common threads that run through these reviews are:
    • Ineffective leadership
    • Board inaction to the above
    • No strategic vision
    • Donations are misused, and successes exaggerated
    • High turnover
    • Unethical, cruel, abusive, erratic behavior by the president and the COO
    • Dysfunctional, toxic environment
    • Micromanaging and demeaning leadership style
    I’m here to tell you that this is all true and waiting for you when you accept employment at Alley Cat Allies. This organization could do great things but will NEVER live up to its potential because of its useless leadership that controls its employees through fear and humiliation instead of inspiring and empowering them.

Other recurring themes that I can confirm include but are not limited to: leadership playing favorites and shunning those who fall from grace; projects dying in the president’s hands; president’s inability to delegate causing the death of said projects; leadership’s refusal to admit fault; leadership projecting its own shortcomings onto its largely talented and dedicated staff. The pervasiveness of the injury and indignity suffered by employees of this organization speak through these reviews.

Heed my warning and the warning of others! All hope abandon, ye who enter here! This place is a dumpster fire. Enter at your own risk… I did (believing it couldn’t be THAT BAD, ignoring reviews and verbal notice of the impending nightmare) and I certainly paid the price. My friends and family were relieved when I was free of this place and could “begin healing.”

Advice to Management

What can be said that hasn't already? Leadership needs a complete overhaul.

"Don't Be Fooled!"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits and nothing else.

Cons

Pretty much every thing else!

Advice to Management

Fire management and start over! This is by far the most horrible place I have ever worked. Unethical, unprofessional, unkind, super micro-managing, dysfunctional, toxic, emotionally unstable, name calling, humiliating, mood swings, violent outburst, and very high- extremely high turnover.
    Unbelievable!

4. "Improving the lives of cats is job one"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a full-time employee of Alley Cat Allies for nearly two years, I can honestly say that improving the lives of cats is job one. The people who work here are hardworking and dedicated to the cause; we consider ourselves champions for cats.

I find the office environment to have a positive, creative synergy that translates into continually finding new ways to help community, shelter and pet cats.

The weekly staff meetings keep all employees up to speed on our advocacy and outreach work. Upper management continually educates the staff about important topics that benefit cats such as cat behavior, shelter management policies/trends, law and legislation issues and more.

Cons

I’ve been working in animal welfare for over fifteen years and know how stressful, demanding and sometimes down right frustrating this line of work can be. As with all non-profits, businesses and relationships, nothing is perfect.

We do a lot of intense work on behalf of animals that are easily over looked, dismissed as nuisances and most of all, are plainly misunderstood by many people. This is hard work and can sometimes be emotional but at other times be extremely rewarding.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue finding ways to place staff in areas where they can use their talents and strengths.

"Administration"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

None - nothing. Salaries and benefits are good, but job security is non-existent.

Cons

Alley Cat Allies is an unethical, unprofessional and deeply unkind organization. Contributions are misused and employees are mistreated, disrespected and emotionally abused. Direct Mail expenses, Development team and donor management costs mean that very little money raised goes to help cats.

The office is located in the most expensive zip code in the country.

But the unethical and possible illegal behavior is not as bad the way that staff are treated. Humiliation is the #1 management tool.

Advice to Management

Fire Charelene Pedrolie. Dismiss Becky Robinson. Board members should should be ashamed of how they have abandoned their fiduciary responsibility.

"Worst job ever - I needed therapy"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, decent pay, cats in office, good health insurance, some colleagues were nice. Office was clean and modern. These were the only pros.

Cons

Continual verbal and emotional abuse, harassment, gaslighting, and micromanagement from emotionally unstable boss caused serious mental distress and inability to do job properly.

Several employees sought therapy locally on our lunch breaks because of Becky. Nothing can ever be done to her liking; she has severe mood swings and sometimes violent outbursts; she micromanages everyone to the point where you cannot get your job done; she picks favorites and others are her "whipping boy". I was thrilled to get this position as I loved cats but it was utter hell working there. When I read "The Devil Wears Prada," it reminded me of working for Becky Robinson.

Advice to Management

CEO needs psychiatric medication and therapy. She shouldn't be in a position of managing others.

"If I could rate it lower I would"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries/benefits good for a nonprofit--but you pay a price for that. And cats in the office. The staff is somehow committed and professional.

Cons

It's like working for mean girls in high school. You literally can not do anything right. And then you will be shunned. Decision making is a constant dilemma--and when they are made they are self-serving and bad. Have some cats been helped? Yes. Could more cats be helped if reason and logic were used even randomly? Yes.

Advice to Management

Seek therapy. I mean that in the most literal and non sarcastic sense.

"Terrible work environment"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary, which I believe is the only reason so many people put up with Becky. Some co-workers are awesome.

Cons

Passive aggressive office quarrels, it felt like high school and psychotic managers ruin the workplace atmosphere. Free bagels don't make up for Beckys tirades and Charlenes anal retentive, passive aggressive behavior. Starr clear. There are so many job openings for a reason. Don't waste your time.

Advice to Management

Go to therapy.

9. "Mission focused, great team, huge impact in movement"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working here, we are very focused on having huge impact to stop killing of cats. For such a small team, we have had tremendous across the country in saving cats and changing laws. I am so proud of our work and my team members. I now think of them as some of my best friends. I love the dedication and passion of the executive team. They work late nights and almost every weekend.

Cons

its hard when we cant save every cat, although we try. The metro commute has been bad because of the metro work. -

Advice to Management

please consider more remote work options

"Unethical, High Turnover, Machiavellian Culture"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

Benefits higher than other non profits.

Cons

Lack of professionalism in management. Management unethical, deceitful and plays employee and rescue group favoritism. Employs cruel, heartless actions against others. Although the salary and company benefits are much higher than other non profits I realized that those benefits and salaries are paid for by the donating public which means that money isn't supporting the cause. Too much money spent on seeking donations and those donations aren't funding the cause.

Advice to Management

Resign and replace.Read the other negative former employee reviews. Research the COO's past employment then scratch your head in baffling horror.