Alley Cat Allies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Becky Robinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place To Work!"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

The mission is awesome, and so are my coworkers! Leadership if fully committed to helping each employee to reach their full potential. And to top everything off we have two office cats, what a joy!

Cons

This isn't really a con, but there is a realistic expectation that you work hard for the kitties.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive of your employees.

2. "Wonderful organization, great teamwork!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for Alley Cat Allies. The organization is dedicated and focused on our mission. I feel that all departments work very well together and staff is more than willing to help each other out when needed. As a team we are able to accomplish what we need to. Management is available if you need them and they are quick to let you know how pleased they are with what you are doing. They say "Thank you", which is rare in the working world nowadays. They also will sit down with you and talk over things that need improvement and will let you know what their expectations are. I feel this is helpful in order for me to do the job that is expected of me.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

3. "Improving the lives of cats is job one"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a full-time employee of Alley Cat Allies for nearly two years, I can honestly say that improving the lives of cats is job one. The people who work here are hardworking and dedicated to the cause; we consider ourselves champions for cats.

I find the office environment to have a positive, creative synergy that translates into continually finding new ways to help community, shelter and pet cats.

The weekly staff meetings keep all employees up to speed on our advocacy and outreach work. Upper management continually educates the staff about important topics that benefit cats such as cat behavior, shelter management policies/trends, law and legislation issues and more.

Cons

I’ve been working in animal welfare for over fifteen years and know how stressful, demanding and sometimes down right frustrating this line of work can be. As with all non-profits, businesses and relationships, nothing is perfect.

We do a lot of intense work on behalf of animals that are easily over looked, dismissed as nuisances and most of all, are plainly misunderstood by many people. This is hard work and can sometimes be emotional but at other times be extremely rewarding.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue finding ways to place staff in areas where they can use their talents and strengths.

"A waste of time and talent...only accept if you're interested in psychosocial experiment"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

Leave time and full medical coverage

Cons

Micromanagement, acts of favoritism, lack of HR team, unethical practices by both COO and CEO.

Advice to Management

Listen to the board of directors whom have questioned all of the negative feedback and reviews and be honest about the reasons behind such LARGE TURNOVER. There is just reason why many have departed the organization. Denial is not flattering! Consider removing current management and revamp entire organization from top to bottom. Charlene is an outright bully and if you dont gravel at her feet, she barks and yells at you or looks for something to identify as a flaw that does not exist. Her behavior as well as Becky's is erratic and they attempt to make up for it in bagels and other vegan treats. They did not like the truth and will work to bury the truth and continue to scheme. Everything with the both of them is a game of cat and mouse. The COO with her history and poor and unethical practice in former position in NYC is shocking and mind boggling why she continues to serve in the area of animal rights. Google her and rethink who you have an the front line of the organization. The wrong ones are in position of power and do not deserve it! Abuse of power is quite evident in this office and it is not surprising that they take joy in belittle staffers and reducing them to tears. If you want your organization to work and be able to retain talent and individuals who truly believe in the mission before being exposed the crazy that exist, consider intensive management and ethic trainings. Funny enough, the COO would love to preach on ethics but I promise that she is not as ethical as she would like others to believe. Again, investigate the people you have in positions of power and replace those questionable individuals. They don't deserve the role, respect, or loyalty....huge risk and that has already caused a backlash and lost of human capital. Think about it! It is not always the employees....take a deep look at management! It is unfortunate that they fail to look at themselves.

"Administration"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

None - nothing. Salaries and benefits are good, but job security is non-existent.

Cons

Alley Cat Allies is an unethical, unprofessional and deeply unkind organization. Contributions are misused and employees are mistreated, disrespected and emotionally abused. Direct Mail expenses, Development team and donor management costs mean that very little money raised goes to help cats.

The office is located in the most expensive zip code in the country.

But the unethical and possible illegal behavior is not as bad the way that staff are treated. Humiliation is the #1 management tool.

Advice to Management

Fire Charelene Pedrolie. Dismiss Becky Robinson. Board members should should be ashamed of how they have abandoned their fiduciary responsibility.

"Worst job ever - I needed therapy"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, decent pay, cats in office, good health insurance, some colleagues were nice. Office was clean and modern. These were the only pros.

Cons

Continual verbal and emotional abuse, harassment, gaslighting, and micromanagement from emotionally unstable boss caused serious mental distress and inability to do job properly.

Several employees sought therapy locally on our lunch breaks because of Becky. Nothing can ever be done to her liking; she has severe mood swings and sometimes violent outbursts; she micromanages everyone to the point where you cannot get your job done; she picks favorites and others are her "whipping boy". I was thrilled to get this position as I loved cats but it was utter hell working there. When I read "The Devil Wears Prada," it reminded me of working for Becky Robinson.

Advice to Management

CEO needs psychiatric medication and therapy. She shouldn't be in a position of managing others.

"If I could rate it lower I would"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries/benefits good for a nonprofit--but you pay a price for that. And cats in the office. The staff is somehow committed and professional.

Cons

It's like working for mean girls in high school. You literally can not do anything right. And then you will be shunned. Decision making is a constant dilemma--and when they are made they are self-serving and bad. Have some cats been helped? Yes. Could more cats be helped if reason and logic were used even randomly? Yes.

Advice to Management

Seek therapy. I mean that in the most literal and non sarcastic sense.

"Terrible work environment"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary, which I believe is the only reason so many people put up with Becky. Some co-workers are awesome.

Cons

Passive aggressive office quarrels, it felt like high school and psychotic managers ruin the workplace atmosphere. Free bagels don't make up for Beckys tirades and Charlenes anal retentive, passive aggressive behavior. Starr clear. There are so many job openings for a reason. Don't waste your time.

Advice to Management

Go to therapy.

10. "Mission focused, great team, huge impact in movement"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working here, we are very focused on having huge impact to stop killing of cats. For such a small team, we have had tremendous across the country in saving cats and changing laws. I am so proud of our work and my team members. I now think of them as some of my best friends. I love the dedication and passion of the executive team. They work late nights and almost every weekend.

Cons

its hard when we cant save every cat, although we try. The metro commute has been bad because of the metro work. -

Advice to Management

please consider more remote work options

"Unethical, High Turnover, Machiavellian Culture"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

Benefits higher than other non profits.

Cons

Lack of professionalism in management. Management unethical, deceitful and plays employee and rescue group favoritism. Employs cruel, heartless actions against others. Although the salary and company benefits are much higher than other non profits I realized that those benefits and salaries are paid for by the donating public which means that money isn't supporting the cause. Too much money spent on seeking donations and those donations aren't funding the cause.

Advice to Management

Resign and replace.Read the other negative former employee reviews. Research the COO's past employment then scratch your head in baffling horror.