Alley Cat Allies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 1 March 2019

1.9
Becky Robinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Salary levels
    * Constantly being around cats
    * Bethesda is a nice neighborhood

Cons

Working here is a huge bait and switch. You're offered the job and can't believe you've landed such an amazing, perfect opportunity! On my first day, my supervisor told me "Working here is like being married to an abusive spouse. You know you should leave but can't because of the money." Huh. It didn't take long to fully realize exactly what she meant.

Becky Robinson is truly a pioneer in the TNR field. But these days she's an afterthought. All the big names in animal rescue leave her out of their planning & events. Why? She simply can't play nice with others and is batguano crazy. Then, she sealed her fate by hiring Charlene Pedrolie to basically take over the entire operation. Charlene is controlling and heartless. She is intimidated by strong women & will take you down whatever way she's able. Napoleon complex times a thousand.

Between Becky's erratic behavior & Charlene's over the top need to control everything, the work environment is extremely toxic. You can't trust anyone because employees are forced to turn against each other. At first you think it'll never happen to you. And then, boom, you're fired for some made-up reason and sobbing in the fetal position for months. I doubt the PTSD will ever dissipate. And I'm far from alone! The hiring cannot keep up with the firings & resignations.

I don't know why Becky would allow a woman who doesn't even like animals (google her past position at the NY ACC) to take *complete* control of her almost 30 year old organization. Perhaps Charlene has something on Becky? During her tenure, the organization has gone completely downhill. Raising money is the #1 focus and with each $5 check from a cat-loving senior citizen is another lawsuit from aggrieved employees or vendors (See Putsche v. ACA). Or, another trip for Becky to far away lands like Hawaii or Australia. She often has a videographer accompany her to capture heart-tugging moments in order to raise more money. And repeat. I honestly don't know how they can both sleep at night.

In addition, how ACA maintains a high non-profit rating is another mystery begging to be solved. Read the Charity Watch article "Cat Charity Criticized for Straying from Good Governance Practices" & The Chronicle of Philanthropy article "The Limits of Nonprofit Oversight".

The bottom line is: if you're considering a position at Alley Cat Allies, then you also need to recognize the inherent risk. For years, I watched other people berated, treated like trash, and then summarily tossed aside. I thought it would never happen to me, until it did. And my life will never be the same. That isn't drama, it's just the awful truth.

Advice to Management

Management = Becky & Charlene who will never take responsibility & forever point the finger at others. So, giving them advice is a waste of time.

For the current employees: the longer you stay, the more complicit you become.

"Negative reviews are ALL TRUE. Positive ones are FAKE. CEO has personality of Donald Trump"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. That's how they justify abusing you and creating a CLIMATE OF FEAR. I was afraid to leave because of the benefits but everyone eventually sees their mental health is more important. And it takes a long time to recover emotionally. Like years.

Cons

There are so many cons that it was hard to not start listing them in the pros. Infantile CEO with actual crazy in her eyes and COO who walks around the room 100 times a day watching employees every move mostly to scare them into submission. They "turn" certain employees who are the most afraid of getting fired and those employees become spies too. Even more than reporting back on any tiny problems they see , these employees MAKE UP THINGS THEIR FELLOW EMPLOYEES HAVE DONE WRONG. Why would they do this? Because they get rewarded for it with money and the promise of not getting fired and even then they arent safe. This sounds like a dystopian book. Or a better comparison is the Trump administration. BECKY ROBINSON acts like Donald Trump. She is angry, irrational, PSYCHOTIC and keeps the organization from accomplishing pretty much anything because she is focused on all the wrong things. Mostly LAWSUITS from other former employees and her EGO and ILLEGAL stuff she is doing with at least one other organization, using Alley Cat Allies donors money. And the COO Charlene Pedroile shuffles behind her quietly MANIPULATING. Whatever she has reported on the books or however she has managed to have a good audit is something she has manipulated. Which one is worse? Are they smart? Are they complete idiots? We don't know. But they're not human beings. They're the lowest creatures you could imagine. Why do they do any of this? I honestly think they enjoy hurting people. Every inch of the negative reviews are true. Can't get that across enough.

Advice to Management

Leave. Maybe the organization could be saved with competent leaders. But they will never leave unless they are forced out. No one has figured out how to do that yet. If you are a journalist help expose them and get them out.

3. "Program manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reasons is always for the mission! The benefits are very good and the staff is wonderful.

Cons

Communication can be difficult, but the company stays so busy in so many areas.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is same advice to everyone, be patient and budget time for everything, everyone.

4. "A rewarding opportunity you won't find anywhere else"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The welfare of cats is always #1 priority. Seeing cats thrive indoors and finding forever homes, and helping people coexist with outdoor cat populations is very fulfilling.
    -Management recognizes and appreciates employees efforts, and ensures we have the tools we need to succeed in our work.
    -Great benefit package
    -Vegan foods at all events!

Cons

None! If you have a passion for animals, then you understand that sometimes the job will require you to be flexible and ready to get your hands dirty.

Advice to Management

Continue to employ the dedicated staff's skills and empower them to carry out the incredible mission and the many projects that we undertake.

"Immature, Defective, Malignant Management"

Former Employee - Administrative in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Alley Cat Allies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They spend a lot of money on salaries and benefits (not to the cats).

Cons

Management is backbiting, immature, personality disordered and can not change. The only way this organization will survive is for people to 1) Boycott working here and 2) Stop donating to this abusive, self serving, cruel management. They do nothing for the cats, border on the illegal, certainly unethical practices. Research the CEO's background and you will be horrified that she is hiding out in this organization. When I write hiding out it is because no one knows she works here because her bio or name is no where on the company website. Why? Call and ask.

Advice to Management

Please remove yourselves and step down to allow competent, mature and ethical people to run the show.

"As BAD as They Say"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Mostly awesome employees/coworkers.

Cons

At the time of this writing, 18 out of 26 reviews of Alley Cat Allies are one-star (only 4 five-star reviews that are obviously written by management or someone else hired to polish the turd that is this organization’s reputation). Common threads that run through these reviews are:
    • Ineffective leadership
    • Board inaction to the above
    • No strategic vision
    • Donations are misused, and successes exaggerated
    • High turnover
    • Unethical, cruel, abusive, erratic behavior by the president and the COO
    • Dysfunctional, toxic environment
    • Micromanaging and demeaning leadership style
    I’m here to tell you that this is all true and waiting for you when you accept employment at Alley Cat Allies. This organization could do great things but will NEVER live up to its potential because of its useless leadership that controls its employees through fear and humiliation instead of inspiring and empowering them.

Other recurring themes that I can confirm include but are not limited to: leadership playing favorites and shunning those who fall from grace; projects dying in the president’s hands; president’s inability to delegate causing the death of said projects; leadership’s refusal to admit fault; leadership projecting its own shortcomings onto its largely talented and dedicated staff. The pervasiveness of the injury and indignity suffered by employees of this organization speak through these reviews.

Heed my warning and the warning of others! All hope abandon, ye who enter here! This place is a dumpster fire. Enter at your own risk… I did (believing it couldn’t be THAT BAD, ignoring reviews and verbal notice of the impending nightmare) and I certainly paid the price. My friends and family were relieved when I was free of this place and could “begin healing.”

Advice to Management

What can be said that hasn't already? Leadership needs a complete overhaul.

"Don't Be Fooled!"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits and nothing else.

Cons

Pretty much every thing else!

Advice to Management

Fire management and start over! This is by far the most horrible place I have ever worked. Unethical, unprofessional, unkind, super micro-managing, dysfunctional, toxic, emotionally unstable, name calling, humiliating, mood swings, violent outburst, and very high- extremely high turnover.
    Unbelievable!

8. "Improving the lives of cats is job one"

I have been working at Alley Cat Allies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a full-time employee of Alley Cat Allies for nearly two years, I can honestly say that improving the lives of cats is job one. The people who work here are hardworking and dedicated to the cause; we consider ourselves champions for cats.

I find the office environment to have a positive, creative synergy that translates into continually finding new ways to help community, shelter and pet cats.

The weekly staff meetings keep all employees up to speed on our advocacy and outreach work. Upper management continually educates the staff about important topics that benefit cats such as cat behavior, shelter management policies/trends, law and legislation issues and more.

Cons

I’ve been working in animal welfare for over fifteen years and know how stressful, demanding and sometimes down right frustrating this line of work can be. As with all non-profits, businesses and relationships, nothing is perfect.

We do a lot of intense work on behalf of animals that are easily over looked, dismissed as nuisances and most of all, are plainly misunderstood by many people. This is hard work and can sometimes be emotional but at other times be extremely rewarding.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue finding ways to place staff in areas where they can use their talents and strengths.

"Administration"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies full-time

Pros

None - nothing. Salaries and benefits are good, but job security is non-existent.

Cons

Alley Cat Allies is an unethical, unprofessional and deeply unkind organization. Contributions are misused and employees are mistreated, disrespected and emotionally abused. Direct Mail expenses, Development team and donor management costs mean that very little money raised goes to help cats.

The office is located in the most expensive zip code in the country.

But the unethical and possible illegal behavior is not as bad the way that staff are treated. Humiliation is the #1 management tool.

Advice to Management

Fire Charelene Pedrolie. Dismiss Becky Robinson. Board members should should be ashamed of how they have abandoned their fiduciary responsibility.

"Worst job ever - I needed therapy"

I worked at Alley Cat Allies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, decent pay, cats in office, good health insurance, some colleagues were nice. Office was clean and modern. These were the only pros.

Cons

Continual verbal and emotional abuse, harassment, gaslighting, and micromanagement from emotionally unstable boss caused serious mental distress and inability to do job properly.

Several employees sought therapy locally on our lunch breaks because of Becky. Nothing can ever be done to her liking; she has severe mood swings and sometimes violent outbursts; she micromanages everyone to the point where you cannot get your job done; she picks favorites and others are her "whipping boy". I was thrilled to get this position as I loved cats but it was utter hell working there. When I read "The Devil Wears Prada," it reminded me of working for Becky Robinson.

Advice to Management

CEO needs psychiatric medication and therapy. She shouldn't be in a position of managing others.