Alpha FX Reviews

4.5
Alpha FX Chief Executive Officer Morgan Tillbrook
Morgan Tillbrook
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours can be tough but encourages you to ensure you stay on top of your life and look after yourself(in 11 reviews)

• "Struggle to highlight any, other than the hours may take some time to get used to if you’ve come from a 9 to 5(in 6 reviews)

"You can spread your wings"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can do as much as you want, and the company encourages people to go further out of their comfort zone. People around are helpful, and they motivate each other. There is plenty of celebration and recognition opportunity as the business is growing fast. There are a bunch of social events large and small throughout the year and the cherry on the cake is an annual epic ski trip. Alpha has its own gym where you can exercise as much as you want, there is private bike storage and showers. There are sports and charity events through the year and a free bar to socialise and celebrate software releases and business wins. The company is giving people the chance to grow and there is no artificial limit in place. The management is lean and there is no dead wood around. I suffered so much in my career in other places where not very productive people were bringing teams and projects down. People who work hard could ultimately become partners and as a recognition get shares in the business. This recognition is motivating everyone even further and it is not limited to top management like in many other businesses. Top management is humble and sits with everybody else so there is no special treatment, all people are equally respected. In the technology department projects are done quickly so there is no time to get bored. There is also plenty to learn from all angles developing new software, AWS devops and business perspective. The new initiatives are taken seriously, reviewed quickly and quite often deployed without holding back.

Cons

People who do not have “work hard play hard” mentality would struggle. It is high pressure environment and as a consequence it is s not a place for people who would prefer doing very little or wait and count years to their retirement.

Continue reading

"Great culture, not so great product"

4.0
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in London, England

I worked at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay if you perform

Cons

Oversold market which makes it very hard to sell

3. "Sink or swim"

2.0
    Portfolio Manager in London, England

I worked at Alpha FX

Pros

Great office, fairly open hiring policy, development focused, people generally quite decent despite some of the other feedback. Scope to make a crazy amount of money, eventually.

Cons

Lots of half truths and white lies in the recruitment process. It’s a little bit of an us vs them mentality and if there’s any hint that you’re not one of the gang then you’re cut - turnover is very high. Workload is unbelievably intense and the benefits of that won’t come for some time.

Alpha FX Response

February 4, 2020Alpha FX

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us. As you highlight, we have a high performance culture and fully appreciate this isn’t for everyone. Equally, without it, we wouldn't be the fast growth business we are, and therefore be able to provide the level of opportunities we do. With reference to intensity, we work on the basis that 'Effort X Ability = Performance'. When people first join Alpha, their ability levels are typically lower, so higher levels of effort are important. This level of intensity isn’t forever though, and as people’s ability increases, we encourage them to moderate their effort levels. Ultimately, it’s about helping you to develop quickly so you're able to achieve the ambitions we have for you in your first year. This aside, I'm sorry to hear you felt you were misled in the recruitment process. We’ve tried hard to be as open and transparent about our culture and expectations from the outset and even have a document dedicated to this (titled “Being Alpha – Warts and All”). I’m sorry if you didn’t get this, but would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and understand how we can improve. We don’t confess to be the finished article when it comes to recruitment and I’m sure we can learn a lot from your experience. Thank you again for your feedback, and we wish you all the best in your next endeavour.

"50% of the people I work with are shareholders..."

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

… In many respects, that tells you all you need to know about this company – there are 120 people after all. When I joined Alpha three years ago, I was at a place in my life where I knew I needed to make a change. I could see where my career was going and where I was going to end up and, whilst very respectable, it didn’t excite me. After meeting with Morgan (CEO) and James (Senior Partner), it was very clear to me that these were people who had ambitions I could get behind. Both expressed (in no uncertain terms) that Alpha was a company they’d created to change people’s lives. Morgan told me that was what drived him. The way they intended to do this was through a principle of ‘collective ownership’, awarding key members of the team with equity as it continued to grow. Ultimately, I chose to take a leap of faith. I’m glad I did. Three years on, and Alpha has delivered on everything it said it would – and some. I worked hard for three years in order to build a portfolio whilst working with some incredible people. On reflection, that’s what happens when you build a team of people who all share the same ambitions and opportunities as one another. Today I am now a Partner in a publicly listed company. I’ve learnt more in these three years than I did previously in my entire career, and financially, I’m now able to do things that I’d previously on dreamed of. I was told Alpha could change my life. Three years on, I think that’s a pretty fair summary.

Cons

Are their negatives? Of course. Like any fast growing business, its high pressure and I’ve seen some genuinely nice people leave, who weren’t quite able to cut it. Their office is also in London, which for me, isn’t really my scene. But against the pros there’s really no contest.

Continue reading
  5. "A platform to change your life if you're willing to put the hours in"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

- An environment of high level performers who are willing to invest time in your development. - A core focus on developing you personally and professionally with an expectation to be outside your comfort zone. - A modern, well designed work space that looks across the City and doesn't feel like being in an office. - A culture/attitude to healthy living with a gym in the Alpha office (everybody included in group PT sessions throughout the week). - A platform to financially set you up for life. - An open minded management/senior team with no feeling that you can't voice your opinion and that progression isn't available just because you're new. - Unbelievable work trips and incentives. - The culture of the team. Really good bunch of people. - The pace in which the business is constantly evolving.

Cons

- Finding/adjusting to a suitable a work/life balance in the early months of the job. -

"A lifetime job!"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Paddington, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Surrunded by inspirational skilled thinkers and salesmen * Progression and personal / professional development opportunities vast in comparison to every other company I have worked for * Change/ adaption culutre is instant * You have a voice! * Opportunity to very realistically change your life financially * Healthy working environment with access to a gym * Superb events, incentives and trips * You feel you are part of something special that is growing at rapid pace

Cons

*Long hours can be tough but encourages you to ensure you stay on top of your life and look after yourself * The first six months can be very daunting and demanding but the reward once you reach the end outweighs the initial pain siginificantly *The job magnifies your personal and professional strengths and weakness instantly so you must be prepared to confront your truth and deal with it quickly!

"An open space which encourages transparency to ensure you excel"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having worked at Alpha for a little over a year, the progression and direction that the company has moved in is truly exciting and something that I can say I'm proud to be a part of it. I started as one of five women in a space where I was encouraged to stand up and take control. In just a year, there are now over 20 women in the business, all of whom are independent yet supportive of one another. We have also recently moved offices from WeWork to our own space in a brand new building, which is honestly outstanding. The design is so aesthetically pleasing, having plenty of plants and amenities; it almost represents a hotel more than an office. The handling of problems such as miscommunication is also done remarkably well by the CEO. He addresses things head first and prioritises the happiness and wellbeing of Alpha employees alongside the progression of the business as a whole. Lastly, my colleagues are all people I look up to, respect and whose company I enjoy, considering many of them to also be friends. Coming into work each day to work alongside them is a pleasure.

Cons

The job requires flexibility to ensure you can meet the demands of all the departments: corporate; institutions; Alpha Pay; and Canada. This can involve having to put in extra hours or adopting an adaptable mindset to assist with the growth of specific areas. However, people do always recognise when you go the extra mile and as our team grows, the pressure of this will decrease.

Continue reading

"A forward thinking company and inspirational team of people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Derivatives Operations Analyst in Paddington, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel lucky to be part of a team that is so successful and driven yet maintains such humility. Yes we work hard, but that makes it so much more satisfying when we reach our targets or goals and celebrate as a team. As a woman who was new to FX I was nervous to join a highly male dominated industry, but Alpha are just as invested in women’s career growth as they are in anyone who has aspiration and drive. It feels good to be part of a company where senior management care about all the individuals in the firm and everyone wants you to be successful and will give you all the resources to do so, it’s like a family. The new office is a visual representation of Alpha’s culture and shows what can be achieved by the company, it has an in house barber and a gym which I can see being the start of a trend across many companies.

Cons

The hours are longer than the average, which means sometimes I feel like I miss out on meeting up with friends in the evenings. But you get used to it and now I really don’t mind it.

Continue reading

"An environment that inspires high performance"

Current Employee - Head of Settlements

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Recognised and heard from the moment you join and continually throughout your career. With a strong emphasis on culture, which is driven by the CEO and reinforced by each employee, you are surrounded by ambitious and exceptionally talented people from the front to back office. Constantly pushed to reach your potential and given the tools to enable you to reach them. Radical candour can be seen as a negative, however, the flat structure and the ability to speak your mind to all employees creates a positive working environment encouraging an open and honest culture.

Cons

It is easy to say the long hours but a few weeks/ months in the hours aren’t an issue and the days fly by.

"An incredible company that I'm so proud to be part of"

Current Employee - FX Analyst in Paddington, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alpha has provided me with such an amazing opportunity, and I'm so proud to be part of the team. The company is full of exciting, talented, driven people, that continue to empower each other and genuinely want others to do well, which is so motivating. Male/Female, young/old, it doesn't matter, as long as you work hard you will be recognised and rewarded - which is a breath of fresh air for this industry.

Cons

I struggle to think of anything significant, yes we work long hours but this is just the norm to me now and the culture and rewards outweigh this considerably.

Found 79 reviews