Alton Towers Resort Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 2 de Dec 2019

3.9
Alton Towers Resort CEO Nick Varney
Nick Varney
Pros
  • "fun exiting free tickets differt every day(in 20 reviews)

• "good team and company to work for(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "At certain parts of the season can be very long hours(in 11 reviews)

• "The only downside I can see is the roads on the way to alton towers(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A magical place in a unique setting"

Current Employee - Entertainments Technical Manager in Alton, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Alton Towers Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing atmosphere, Fantastic surroundings, every day is completely different. I truly love what i do, i get the chance to work on some ground breaking new attractions and events, using my knowledge from outside the resort in a truly unique environment. I am incredibly lucky to come to work, have a whole heap of fun and get paid to do so! My work colleges are more like extended family. There is no other office that... has the views this place does, or the excitement!

Cons

I travel over 60min a day each way to get to work, this is a downside as its costs a lot in fuel however i only do this because i love what i do and wound't want to work anywhere else!

Alton Towers Resort2019-05-09
  2. "perfect for being a student"

Former Employee - Admissions Host in Uttoxeter, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Alton Towers Resort part-time for more than a year

Pros

- weekend work -free tickets and discounts - team is like a second family - good pay - every day is differnt -pushed to be my best - chances to learn new skills like makaton

Cons

- long hours towards the end of the year -seasonal - the local roads - took a while to get my pay sorted

Alton Towers Resort2019-12-02
  3. "Amazing Place to Work"

Former Employee - Retail Host in Alton Towers, England

I worked at Alton Towers Resort part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good job for people fresh out of school to get experience in a job setting and was very flexible with shifts to fit around further education.

Cons

Travel time was long which is the reason I no longer work there.

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-13
  4. "Not awful at times"

Former Employee - Bar and Restaurant Host in Alton, West Midlands, England

I worked at Alton Towers Resort full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a wonderful feeling knowing you have made a guests day or when you do something extra special to make it memorable, some managers are kind and understanding, you get free tickets to use in any Merlin attraction and a staff discount to make prices more reasonable on park, there are opportunities to progress within the company, it's a busy place so every day there is different.

Cons

They're not very understanding when it comes to mental health, I had a rough few months and was told that I was a liability to the company instead of understanding that I had to have time off because I was exhibiting symptoms of my depression, lack of energy and interest in things. The same manager once blamed me for the whole restaurant having complaints and having problems which were completely unrelated to me... such as food wait time and incorrect items etc, but proceeded to say that because I had the first table that had an issue with food it made all of the other tables start complaining that weren't under my care. The staff are very clique-y, some have worked there a while and haven't progressed in roles due to their attitudes towards people and work yet are allowed to stay working there creating a toxic environment for newcomers that want to do well and care about the role. It can be stressful at times, especially at peak times, but this is expected in the food and beverage industry.

Advice to Management

Train certain team leaders on not giving their friends special treatment and eventhough the workplace struggles for staff it would be better longterm to get rid of the ones that cause all of the drama and you might get new staff members that stay instead of being bullied out

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-26
  5. "Amazing Setting, Unique Workplace"

Current Contractor - Retail Host in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Alton Towers Resort for less than a year

Pros

Free tickets, staff only events and previews, flexible hours available, very supportive reguarding mental health, beautiful surroundings and very happy vibe.

Cons

Can be very far to travel. Staff transport is very hit and miss and lack of hours in some departments during beginning of season. I have throughly enjoyed my time with Alton Towers this season and sad to be leaving. This job has meant the world to me and ive been through alot to be here. Ive moved closer for the season which wasnt cheap but I wouldnt have had it any other way!

Advice to Management

Try to work closer with D&G reguarding bus mix ups and issues that have arose.

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-11
  6. "Magical and rewarding"

Current Contractor - Retail Host in Alton Towers, England

I have been working at Alton Towers Resort for less than a year

Pros

Great Team Leaders Flexible working Fantastic opportunity to learn new skills Working in beautiful surroundings Good benefits Hard work is recognised Team members are valued

Cons

Can be seasonal work only and long hours Be prepared that you could be working when your family and friends are off on Bank Holidays etc.

Advice to Management

Would be great to be given the option to work all the year

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-11
  7. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Contractor - Performer in Derby, England

I have been working at Alton Towers Resort for less than a year

Pros

Positive, friendly and supportive atmosphere with great opportunities

Cons

The employee bus service isn't frequent and doesn't go into derbyshire or that side of the resort which would be very useful

Advice to Management

Better bus service

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-11
  8. "Best and worst three years of my life"

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service Host in Alton Towers, England

I worked at Alton Towers Resort part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unique setting, unique job. You get free tickets and discount on park. Some of the guests are regulars and you can build pleasant relationships with them. Genuinely a laugh sometimes.

Cons

Under appreciated, over worked, minimum wage. Managers do not appreciate you as people, you are nothing more than an ID number to them. Even when you go above and beyond your position you are not recognised nor appreciated for it. They view you as replaceable and there is an extremely high turnover rate of staff. One of my colleagues had concerns and went to her manager who told her to stop being ridiculous and... quote “I can replace you in a second”. Ridiculously long hours, working for 7-10 days in a row sometimes. Guests can treat you appallingly, shout abuse and get physical and management view this as part of the job. Impossible to advance within your own department, often have to move departments.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, respect their concerns. For the hard work they put in they should be paid much more than minimum wage. If you have repeat complaints about a member of staff, take it seriously. Quit relying on nepotism and teenagers to run the place.

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-26
  9. "Different."

I have been working at Alton Towers Resort

Pros

The chance to meet thousands of different people everyday from assorts of backgrounds and cultures. Benefits that accompany the company and closeness to home.

Cons

Sometimes being thought of as just a number and not a person. Some of the guests who are not very nice people.

Advice to Management

Value what you have and the talent that’s there

10. "Excitement Filled"

Current Employee - Ride Operator in Alton Towers, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Alton Towers Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, friendly environment. Good lower level management. Career progression. In house training. Working within a team. Good employee benefits.

Cons

Higher management expect too much of employees on occasions. At certain parts of the season can be very long hours.

Alton Towers Resort2019-11-12