Alzheimer's Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 83 reviews

3.1
Alzheimer's Society CEO Jeremy Hughes
Jeremy Hughes
Pros
  • "people really care about the Society and put people affected by dementia at the heart of everything they do(in 12 reviews)

• "The work we do for people affected by dementia(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management pay lip service to junior members of the team but complaints are never dealt with by HR(in 8 reviews)

• "I wouldn't give a penny to this so-called charity(in 8 reviews)

1. "Younger people with dementia day centre"

Former Employee - Deputy Day and Community Support Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of training available

Cons

Not a permanent job due to having to apply for funding

Advice to Management

None

Alzheimer's Society2019-07-30
  2. "Good place to work with lots of ways to get involved"

Current Employee - Fundraiser in London, England

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great staff who are passionate for the cause they work with - Lots of ways to give back through volunteering & campaigning - The ambition that the organisation has for raising awareness & funds in the fight against Dementia - Flexible working - Good focus on well-being especially within fundraising

Cons

- Sometimes communications between directorates is not great - There can sometimes be too many working groups that are slow to take action

Alzheimer's Society2019-09-28
  3. "Worse charity - unethical use of donations"

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Resources for these living with dementia Genuine passion from staff

Cons

I’ve never been so ashamed to work for a charity, seeing donations go to waste. It felt like the charity lacked any structure and some truly awful people were left running departments with no knowledge or training. Quick to blame people and make assumptions.

Advice to Management

The volunteer development team has an horrific turn over staff. People who were passionate were overlooked and shafted. The lazier and more unorganised people are the more they were rewarded. Nothing was done about how I was bullied out of a job. The Alzheimer’s society needs to take a step back from the public eye and sort out its structure. Too many people don’t understand what they are doing and those who... should, didn’t take responsibility for their work.

Alzheimer's Society2019-10-07
  4. "Great opportunities for development and learning"

Former Employee - Corporate Partnerships Executive in London, England

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had lots of opportunities to learn from a large, dynamic team who were eager to nurture talent. I progressed through a number of roles and felt valued and supported. There was a strong direction and focus for the organisation and exciting projects to get involved with. The culture was positive and fun. Everyone was expected to achieve to high standards, but also to enjoy work and have a good social side to their... working life.

Cons

At times it could feel a little slow moving and inagile due to the size of the organisation. While the cause was strong and clearly communicated to staff it could be hard to feel a strong connection to the charity’s work “in the field” due to lack of exposure

Alzheimer's Society2019-09-02
  5. "Exciting times for the charity!"

Current Employee - PR Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of exciting projects, encourages creativity and flexible working

Cons

There is a lot going on, which can feel overwhelming.

Alzheimer's Society2019-08-01
  6. "Ok"

Current Employee - Senior Officer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, good pay for charity, lots of progression opportunities

Cons

Communication in teams is difficult, ideas can sometimes be ignored

Alzheimer's Society2019-07-16

"Management practices poor"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Alzheimer's Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location and staff are friendly

Cons

Management is very lax. Left to lone work in remote places. More interested in getting donations then delivering services to people with dementia and their families. No HR support as branches run by volunteers who receive no training

Alzheimer's Society2019-07-05

July 9, 2019HR Operations Manager

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your experiences working with the Society. Whilst all of our volunteers undertake training specific to the role that they are carrying out and we don’t have branches, we do aim to ensure that people affected by dementia are at the heart of everything we do. We’re sorry that you didn’t feel this during your time with us so we’d really to hear more about your experience lone working and supporting those with dementia. Please contact us on recruitment@alzheimers.org.uk to let us know more.

"A mendacious organisation and culture of nepotism."

Former Employee - Information Adviser - Regions in Sunderland, North East England, England

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supporting people living with dementia and their carers

Cons

Lack of any professionalism Amateur management practices 'Face fits' you stand a better chance of getting that job - nothing new here! Waste resources

Advice to Management

No advice - management don't and want to listen. I would like to think they have better people at the organisation now!

Alzheimer's Society2019-06-26

August 13, 2019Head of Region

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously, including listening to and acting upon the comments made in our exit surveys and our annual employee and volunteer engagement survey. Alzheimer’s Society has policies and procedures in place to ensure that we follow fair and transparent recruitment processes, and to ensure that we are able to listen to and act on any concerns that our employees and volunteers raise with us.

"an organisation based on fear and bulling"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in City of London, England

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no good reasons until the CEO Jeremy Hughes and management listen to staff

Cons

A lying environment from the CEO to HR and upper management who continue to cover up lies and bulling

Advice to Management

I was offered a job with the organisation to start on the 29th ( contract start date ) of May however I was asked to start on the 22nd of may for training though I was then to learn the person before me walked out and management thought by saying I was having training under the disguise of being on front therefore not paying me saying I had said I would volunteer three days free , I did not agree to this when I... complained Robert Butler Chief Financial Officer said it was a mis understanding and have tried to blame on me and even worse tried to buy my silence. If an organisation can act like this and knowing from other's how toxic the work environment is then there is a serous problem. Just take a look at the reviews on here 90% talk of how bad it is. I am glad I am not with this lying bulling charity.

Alzheimer's Society2019-06-09

June 18, 2019Head of HR Business Partnering

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry about the experience you have had with us. I am aware the Chief Finance Officer answered the concerns you raised. Thank you for taking the time to write to us, it is only by hearing the experiences of our people that we can continue to improve.

"A culture of bullying and harassment"

Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful volunteers and donors. It really is a wonderful cause.

Cons

There is a culture of bullying and harassment which has been ignored and covered up by HR and the CEO for years. Complaints about bullying by managers are brushed aside. It's easier for them to offer gagging orders to victims rather than addressing legitimate concerns and allegations. I was left in such a desperate state following the bullying I faced, that I nearly committed suicide.

Advice to Management

Jeremy Hughes, you are the CEO of Alzheimer's Society and responsible for the conduct of your managers. Ignoring allegations of bullying is detrimental to Alzheimer's Society's reputation. Former bullied staff members could become service users if they develop dementia. Lead by example and stop ignoring complaints raised within your organisation. You are doing a disservice for everyone living with dementia, their... families and carers if you continue to ignore serious allegations about your management team.

Alzheimer's Society2019-06-06

June 18, 2019Head of HR Business Partnering

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about how you found your time at the Society, this is not the standard we want our people to experience and I am particularly concerned to hear the impact you state this had on you. A positive working culture is really important to us. We take any allegations of bullying very seriously and encourage all of our people to report any issues so we can deal with them promptly and in a supportive manner. This option is still available to you by contacting me at Hannah.slack@alzheimers.org.uk. We are proud of our thriving, proactive employee forum who represent their colleagues, as well as our extensive wellbeing and training programmes. We take pride in ensuring our values and behaviours are role-modelled across the whole organisation. We’ve got some strong evidence to say that this is working: 87% of employees and volunteers say they see their colleagues living the values and behaviours, 85% say they trust and respect their manager and 88% say they are proud to work for Alzheimer’s Society. Thank you for taking the time to review the Society. It is only by hearing from our people that we can continue to improve our practices. We wish you well for the future.

Found 83 reviews