Amgen Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 15 May 2020

3.8
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway
Pros
Cons
  • "You need to have strong personal boundaries because it's a 24/7 kind of work culture with little work/life balance(in 86 reviews)

• "Very poor decision making with senior leadership - lack of leadership courage to do anything truly progressive(in 66 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"great place to be"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in London, England

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great career opportunities, friendly place to be and 'real' values.

Cons

expected to work hard and to do more than your job role, work life balance isnt as flexable as it could be.

Amgen2012-06-30
  2. "Easy, relaxed interview"

Current Contractor - Document Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Amgen for more than a year

Pros

friendly, caring, team oriented, good work life balance

Cons

Dull offices, staff often overworked

Amgen2020-02-13

"Mixed experience: great pipeline but poor culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Amgen full-time

Pros

In the UK: - Some great colleagues and managers to work with - Good work life balance (not many people in the office after 6pm; except for some more senior people and specific function, can leave at 3pm on friday) - Exciting and promising pipeline to work on, with possibility to learn a lot depending on your programs and teams if you are at least at manager level - Reachable by tube compared to other pharmas in the London area. - No difference between contractor and permanent in term of responsibilities/project and main company/department events - Permanent salary and packages

Cons

- Poor culture in general, not empowered, very hierarchical, sad atmosphere at department level - Poor communication between leaders and their department, within department (knowledge sharing...), no interaction between functions (no F2F meeting when people are in the same building) while the office is so isolated from HQ in US ; there has been some improvements lately, driven by Communication, to create a more connected workplace - Top leadership: few individuals do not seems to care about the department and the people - Big lack of careers opportunities: all decisions are taken in the US, leaving very few opportunities for EU staff. No experience nor willingness to develop and mentor junior staff. Career progression, as often in EU compared to US, takes so long, when you are able to do so. Big turnover for the past years. Recently, leadership seems to have identified and communicated about those gaps, but fixing them is now the next step. - No much work from home flexibility, which is manager dependent, so can create unfairness between coworkers - As in every workplace, there are some few horrible coworkers, unbeatable to do nothing or deliver low-quality work but skilled with impressing leadership. - Offices and IT equipment are so old, with very old looking open space, with very few spots for meetings and 1:1's

Amgen2019-01-14

"Cutting Costs and Quality in R&D"

2.0
    Clinical Trial Specialist in Cambridge, England

I worked at Amgen for more than 3 years

Pros

Got to work on some exciting projects, nice offices, onsite staff restaurant which was subsidised, pleasant working environment, break out areas and working from home to help with the work life balance.

Cons

Lots of chopping about in study teams, no continuity of managers. Some study managers were really shockingly bad at managing people, and lacked people skills, to the point of only wanting to communicate in a meeting or via the instant messenger (more in-person / phone contact would have been nice) and others 'relied heavily' on the support of their CTS whilst themselves being clueless, incompetent and less capable than the CTS. Generally if you were good at your job, you got to work on the better studies. The recent move to sourcing the CTS role to ICON was particularly badly handled from day 1, the PRMs were so tied up with rolling out the new model that they were unobtainable and it came across that they didn't really care if they kept current CTS or lost them. I heard from another recruiter within ICON / Docs global who let slip that they had been told to get staff on the Amgen Contract 'as cheap as possible'. With that information to hand plus another 3 job offers on the table I declined the opportunity to work through ICON on the Amgen Contract.

Amgen2016-05-18
  5. "Data Management"

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amgen is one of the best companies to work for. With sites dotted across the globe and flexible and home working allows a better work life balance.

Cons

The time difference on global projects can take a toll and be very demanding at times.

Amgen2015-10-04
  6. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Istanbul

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than a year

Pros

global, industry, benefits, work-life balance

Cons

culture, global opportunities, senior level management

Amgen2020-05-15

May 22, 2020Social Media Manager

Hello, thank you for your review. We're glad your experience was overall positive, but we'd love to hear more of your thoughts on how we can improve in the above areas. Please contact talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to share more with our team. Thank you very much for your time.

7. "Great Company Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Manager Contract and Pricing in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Work culture, work life balance, opportunity to work with great teams and minds.

Cons

None - Great company to work

Amgen2020-04-07

April 8, 2020Social Media Manager

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate all you do to advance our mission and support our team. Please know, you can always reach out to talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to share feedback with us. Thank you, stay healthy!

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time

Pros

Work culture, work life balance, opportunity to work with great teams and minds, a true leader in healthcare

Cons

Not one I can think of - great place to work!

Amgen2020-03-29

March 30, 2020Social Media Manager

We are thrilled that you see Amgen as a great place to work with amazing talent. Thank you for the review!

"Great Place to Work - Changing Lives Through Medicine"

Current Employee - Executive Director, Technology in Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love the mission of the company

Cons

Work Life Balance is not great. Amgen will take all you allow it to take.

Amgen2020-03-12

March 30, 2020Social Media Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We recognize that part of fulfilling our great mission is taking care of the people who are contributing toward our advancements. Please know, you can always connect with our team at talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to discuss how we can further improve.

10. "Internship"

Former Intern - Data Scientist

I worked at Amgen for less than a year

Pros

Work-life Balance is great.

Cons

Headquarter locates in Thousand Oaks. a small town.

Amgen2020-02-17