Andiamo Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 January 2019

3.9
Patrick McAdams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Smart Company with Passionate People"

Current Employee - Technology Recruiter in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Recruiter in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Andiamo Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing work life balance! Work from home, Christmas to New Years off and tons of vacation and holidays.
    Free food, drinks and game rooms. Lots of fun competitions and events. Everything you’d expect from a forward thinking company.
    They have a new Women in Technology division that is making a big impact on the industry. They’re doing events all over the country and bringing in new and exciting clients like Hulu, Netflix, Salesforce, Stubhub, DocuSign, Lyft, etc. This is a very exciting time to be a part of Andiamo. We’re growing a lot. I just joined a new division that I love and am so excited to come to work every day. I have great bosses who I see and work with every day. I couldn’t ask for a better work experience. It was a difficult interview process but worth it.

Cons

99% of the people here are amazing. A lot of them are close friends. With every large group there are a couple of people who take aren’t there for the right reasons. I admire management for giving them every chance to thrive but not everyone can. The two people who got let go this year were good people but didn’t have a great attitude. I wish them the best of luck but we’re probably better that they moved on.

Advice to Management

This place has an amazing energy. My friends are jealous about my job. My parents have come into the office and love it too. My only advice is to buy healthier snacks. I’m trying a diet for the new year and you’re making it impossible :-)

2. "Not what it seems"

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, generous vacation leave and work from home policy, and some fun events. Some genuine and smart people in management level positions.

Cons

College grads: run away. This is not a recruiting job, this is fundamentally a sales and commission job. Be suspicious of the low base salary. The nature of the job was entirely misrepresented to me and the hiring class I joined with (90% of whom left within two years) and I believe the interview and offer process was purposefully deceptive. They lie about the turnover rate--this place is churn and burn. They prey on students from top universities and promise compensation on par with consulting/finance jobs in your first year, which sounds appealing until you understand how unattainable it is within the structure. Almost nobody I entered with reached those numbers and management withheld the “guaranteed pay” until they were outright asked why they were lying and refusing to pay employees as outlined in the offer letters. It only takes about six months to realize how mind numbing the work is and how unfairly the job and the entire company is presented. I literally felt like my brain cells were rotting because the job is so monotonous and devoid of any real substance. All management cares about is money—they play favorites with people who are top earners yet have downright abusive personalities—but they lie about compensation and refuse to pay guaranteed bonuses. They also fire people without any prior warning, citing no specifics other than “this isn’t working out.” Any constructive criticism is brushed off with a “there’s a lot going on that you don’t understand right now.” Smart people are not rewarded here. People who like sales and who are naturally inclined towards a sales job can do quite well, but for most people the job and the culture are simply not worth it. Promotions have nothing to do with hard work, professionalism, or integrity. All of this works in favor of the people at the top, some of whom are genuine, but there is nothing that would make me go back and choose this job again—my biggest regret since graduating college. While I learned a lot about the working world and my own professional interests and goals, this was unfortunately a waste of time and did nothing to build an impressive or reputable resume.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the nature of the job. Many people are great recruiters and great salespeople, but it's a waste of your time to try to cover up the true nature of the job. Just come right out and say it; some people love sales and will thrive here. The others will be completely miserable. It's not in the company's best interest to hire anyone other than true sales recruiters. Forget about padding your website with degrees from impressive colleges--those are the people who end up frustrated and bored.

"A great experience and a great foundation for a career"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Andiamo for almost 3 years. In that time, I experienced tremendous growth, both personally and professionally. I was given all the tools that any good recruiter could want and the only limitations that was placed on me were self-imposed. I made great friends and embarked upon an extremely rewarding career. I feel extremely grateful for the opportunity and would counsel any recent grad to jump at the opportunity to work at Andiamo, if they are fortunate enough to receive an offer.

I am extremely familiar with the industry as a whole and I can confidently say that Andiamo is a shining example of what the industry should aspire to be. The world of contingent recruiting is full of unprofessionalism, mediocrity, abrasiveness, and exploitation - you will find none of that at Andiamo. You will find a company of smart recruiters, all of which care deeply about being successful, who themselves are led by a team of ethically-driven and extremely competent subject matter experts.

I can’t say enough good things about this organization. I had offers from a number of search firms, and have not regretted my decision to work at Andiamo for a second. I only left because I was offered a very generous opportunity with a company that I knew very well - I could easily have stayed for 6-10 years and been happy.

Cons

Once a person starts to manage accounts, it can be difficult for the accounts to get the attention they need in the presence of the larger, more established and profitable accounts in place. It is difficult to be the sole recruiter on an account for a long time.

Advice to Management

Focus more on managing the expectations of your employees - often times the decision on how things will be handled in the future is intentionally kicked down the road. This inevitably leads to conflicting expectations between all parties involved.

Try to emphasize that decisions are made based on merit - this will help you avoid the perception that management plays favorites, which is a terribly destructive mentality that erodes motivation.

"Exceeded my Expectations"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Andiamo Partners (More than a year)

Pros

When I was searching for my first job out of college, I had a few hard criteria: I wanted to work with co-workers that pushed me intellectually, yet celebrated each other’s success. I wanted to work for management that cared about my professional development. I wanted a job where I could learn from my superiors, yet I didn’t want to just be a cog in a machine. I wanted to make an impact. I can whole-heartedly say that Andiamo exceeded every single one of my expectations.

Towards the end of my senior year of college, I accepted an opportunity to be one of the very first employees in the Austin-based Andiamo office. Being on the ground floor, I was fortunate enough to be a member of an office that fostered a fast-paced, collaborative, and competitive culture. I was surrounded by intelligent, supportive, and hardworking co-workers who challenged me and lifted me up in my day to day job. My boss, Daniel McAdams, the President of Andiamo, was a true mentor who worked with us weekly to develop our recruiting strategy and to sharpen our skills as new recruiters. Though I entered this industry with little to no knowledge of technology or recruiting, I never once felt lost or behind. I credit this to Daniel and the management team for their top-notch training and constant support. Additionally, even as a first-year employee, I always felt like my voice was heard and that I could provide ideas without criticism from my superiors. I think it’s rare in any industry that a first-year employee feels comfortable enough to call up both a CEO and the President of a company.

My two years at Andiamo has taught me some valuable life lessons that will forever shape me professionally. The most important being how to fail gracefully. The recruiting industry can be tough. People can be unpredictable and all your hard work can be undone with a candidate’s decision. There were moments in my job that that tested both my grit and patience. In these moments, I truly understood the beauty of failure and that success required it. I learned that either you can let failure cripple you, or you can let it fuel you. Additionally, I learned essential communication skills, whether it be on the phone, writing an e-mail, or in-person with a client. Looking back, I can thank Andiamo for helping me become the confident and resilient young professional that I am today.

The decision to leave Andiamo was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make. My co-workers had become some of my closest friends, Daniel had become one of my most influential mentors, Austin had become one of my favorite cities, and Andiamo had become a company that I truly felt connected to. Due to life events, I ultimately knew that moving back to my home-city of San Antonio was the best decision for me. I was treated with nothing but respect during my last few days in the company. Again, I can whole-heartedly say that on my last days, Andiamo still managed to exceed my expectations.

Cons

As mentioned, the recruiting industry is not easy. It can wear you down if you do not remain positive. This being said, Andiamo did an excellent job of creating a supportive environment for these moments that test your mettle.

Advice to Management

The culture and work environment at Andiamo sets it apart from competitors within the industry. There was never a day that I woke up and truly dreaded going to work. As Andiamo continues to grow, try to maintain the positive, tight-knit, and supportive culture that you have fostered. Also, Andiamo does an excellent job of hiring smart and ambitious employees. Keep thinking of fun and innovative ways to motivate employees and keep them engaged.

As a side note, thank you to everyone at Andiamo for a wonderful two years. I will continue to recommend Andiamo to anyone interested in the recruiting industry!!

"Not like Other Recruiting Companies"

Former Employee - Junior Associate in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I accepted a recruiting position with Andiamo right when I graduated college. I was extremely nervous about my first job out of college, because I had heard so many negative things from friends who had graduated and I had it set in my mind that my experience wouldn't be any different. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I didn't know much about recruiting before I accepted the position. I was a college athlete and my favorite things about competing at the collegiate level was the competition and the camaraderie. When I joined Andiamo, I found both of those things to be present. Not only was it a competitive environment where I was able to work with extremely intelligent people, but they were all people that I genuinely enjoyed being around and would choose to hang out with outside of work. I was also given all of the tools to succeed. I have had friends who worked in recruiting, who were given a headset on their first day and a long list of people to call. My first few days of employment, I went through in depth training with Patrick, the CEO of the company. Even when my training was complete, I was never given a list of people to cold call. I was able to use Linkedin Recruiter to create specific searches to make sure I was contacting the most qualified candidates, without blowing people up with unwanted phone calls. I was given the tools to figure things out on my own, but also had the access to experienced upper management who were extremely approachable and always had the time to answer a question if I had one. I would say if you are a competitive person who enjoys working hard, but really value work culture, this a great place to be. There is also a lot of opportunity for career growth and Daniel is always willing to listen to employees career interests and help them to find those opportunities within Andiamo. My decision to leave Andiamo was an extremely tough one, but I ultimately decided to switch industries all together. However, anyone who is interested in recruiting, I would absolutely recommend Andiamo to.

Cons

I can't think of any cons about Andiamo. I will say recruiting can be a frustrating industry because you are working with people and people are unpredictable, but that is why I think problem solving is an important part of the job.

Advice to Management

I just want to thank y'all for the guidance you gave me during my two years at Andiamo. I was always given the tools to succeed and truly believe I worked with the best people in the business. My only advice is as Andiamo continues to grow in size, continue making yourselves accessible to recruiters and continue making an effort to know all of your employees. It had a very positive impact on my experience at Andiamo.

"Turn back now!"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was always free food. They have a flexible work from home policy.

Cons

Everything about this company was disorganized from the moment I began. The interview process gives you an unrealistic view of the company. They lie to potential employees just like they lie to clients and job candidates. For most of the training process I was left to stare at my computer. It didn't get much better from there.

Anyone who tells you recruiting is difficult is either lying to you or has never done hard work in their life. As a recruiter you will spend a majority of your time staring at linked-in profiles and scheduling interviews.

The company rewards workers with open-bars and free food in lieu of actually paying them a good wage. They do not treat employees differently than anyone else; they will cheat you out of money.

Andiamo is rife with favoritism and unethical behavior. I'm unaware of the work some employees did prior to me joining to achieve their positions. However, in the time I was there many employees in leadership positions seemed to forget they had a job. Many seemed to refuse to answer emails and calls. All this seemed to be facilitated by management, whose absence would have caused no difficulty. Lying seems to be part of the job description to these people. Which, I understand now is a foundation of Andiamo's business. It is not a business I wish to be a part of. One thing I did not expect, however, was to be confronted with racism and sexism from my first weeks at Andiamo. A company whose management partakes in such behavior cannot be fixed without a major shakeup. I reported one incident to HR and do not know what happened from there. I did not bother to report any of the many other incidents.

The company really is an attraction to anyone with a superiority complex. Most people who work there are of average intelligence but act like they are God's gift to earth. It's a terrible environment and I advice anyone reading this to refrain from joining to watch the perpetual dominance displays.

In closing, I was asked to write a Glassdoor review during my first month of employment and many times thereafter. I felt it was bad practice to leave a bad review, or any review, so early on. So, here I am finally writing my review for Andiamo. I hope it is satisfactory.

Advice to Management

Some of those in leadership positions do a good job. It was always refreshing to get to work with those employees. However, there are way too many employees in leadership who abuse their positions and a few who are downright rude to anyone they deem 'unworthy'.

The cattiness in the office of some employees was frankly disgusting. The exclusion of certain employees from conversations reminded me of middle school. It was terrible and you should be more discerning in who you hire.

"Decent company"

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time

Pros

CEOs are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

- division didn't have much direction
    - wouldn't hear from supervisor for weeks
    - not enough training and growth available

"Good first job"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Andiamo Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the people are great. They're the reason I want to stay at the company. The culture is pretty supportive and the CEO does care about people enjoying their time at the company. Andiamo also gives you a lot of autonomy with your job, which is nice if you don't like a manager watching you over your shoulder. This is a good entry-level job if you are a fresh college graduate or just have a couple years of experience.

Cons

Growth in your career is a bit uncertain. They do have tracks/milestones for you to be promoted that are performance based (which I personally prefer), but those milestones can be very difficult if you don't manage an account (which is not merit based) and it sometimes leaves you feeling like you're putting in a ton of work without proper compensation for it. I like the upper management - they're really nice and fun people, but I've found employees don't necessarily feel comfortable discussing critiques and generally feel ignored when concerns are brought up. Another thing is that upper management will place people in certain roles that they aren't always the best fit for, causing tension among the employees.

Advice to Management

Create a variety of tracks for people to progress in their career that don't feel impossible to reach and also play to people's strengths and weaknesses. Don't place people in roles that they aren't suited for.

12 Apr 2018 – Senior Human Resources Associate

Thank you for taking the time to point out some of the things you enjoy about Andiamo, as well as some of your concerns!

We’re very happy to hear that you recognize the effort we have put in to... More

"I wish I had read the signs"

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time

Pros

Amazing co-workers and friends. They give you snacks which is nice.

Cons

Daniel McAdams, Patrick McAdams, and everyone who drank their Kool-Aid. When I left college and looked at my job offers I chose Andiamo based on the pretty picture they painted in their interview. Be weary of this! They are recruiters, their literal job is to sell you on a job. What I found was a company that expanded too fast with no accountability. They throw shiny things at you like games and food to distract from the shaky business model.

When I looked at Glassdoor before being hired I read one warning that half the reviews on hear were fake and made by management. I wish I had listened to that review. They ask their employees to leave positive reviews within their first month or two before you have a chance to figure out what this is all about. If you ask about their turnover rate in an interview they will lie to you and say it is significantly lower than anyone else in the industry, I saw first hand that their retention rate is WELL below average. The bottom line is, you are a butt in a chair. You are of very little value beyond that.

Advice to Management

If you think your judgement of others and childish attitudes are well hidden, you are so wrong. I watched you bully people for a year and it makes me sick. You bumble about the office instilling fear and discomfort in your employees. I am just waiting for the lawsuit coming your way...when it happens I'm jumping on.

I suggest hiring external consultants to fix the unethical, HR nightmare you have created.

12 Apr 2018 – Senior Human Resources Associate

Your concerns are very important to us, and I want to thank you for taking the time to make note of your experiences at Andiamo.

You are completely right – a majority of the team at Andiamo is... More

"I wouldn't do it again"

I worked at Andiamo Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Andiamo was only great because most of my coworkers and supervisors were fun people. We all got along and it was fun to work together.

Cons

The top-management members (CEO, etc.) are very cliquey and do not support individual contributors. You could be a top revenue earner or reach well above your quota week after week but if you happen to reach your quota too late in the week a few times in a row, you can consider your job on the line - which means you can do your job effectively and still feel your job wavering every week. Also, they do perform competitions between the employees for quota etc. which causes you to literally compete against your colleagues for weeks or months all for a "bonus" that you may not even want.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as if they are disposable. Filling people up with games and food and then turning around and judging them the second they use any of these as their break time is absurd and causes an untrustworthy and quietly hostile work environment.

12 Apr 2018 – Senior Human Resources Associate

We are extremely disappointed to hear that you feel let down with your Andiamo experience, and I would like to directly address your concerns.

Weekly goals are set as a guideline to help you when... More