Anglia Ruskin University Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. "New Faculty review"

Current Employee - Research and Teaching in Chelmsford, England
    Current Employee - Research and Teaching in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at Anglia Ruskin University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been 6 month I have joined the university in a relatively senior position, I find the place to reflect a healthy and Inclusive work culture and it is a progressive university

Cons

being relatively a new university several of the department are not yet fully developed both in terms of administration policy and structure and academics

Advice to Management

The marketing strategy for the university needs serious support and boost for the overall progression and visibility of the university

"Still looking for"

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer

I have been working at Anglia Ruskin University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have good IT system, friendly colleagues, and supportive. Chelmsford campus is in a fantastic place. Good for CV building. They provide so many in house training opportunities.

Cons

Too much teaching pressure and three semesters in a year so you will end up teaching from May to July and assessment marking takes place in August. So no proper space for research. Parking is very expensive in Chelmsford. As a new staff you wont get parking permit from uni. If you're based in Chelmsford very often you have to travel to other campus in Cambridge for teaching.

Advice to Management

Teaching load should be reduced and more research opportunties should be provided.

3. "Fine"

I have been working at Anglia Ruskin University full-time

Pros

If your immediate team is good, ARU can be a nice place to work. Most jobs are well paid, compared to similar in other HEIs

Cons

Work across the university is disjointed and lacks direction

Advice to Management

Value skills and experience more

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

Good place to work, pay is good and people get on. Good link with management where new ideas can be driven.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between central services and faculties which can be frustrating. If this was improved then there would not be much to complain about.

6. "Good employer"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chelmsford, England
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chelmsford, England

I worked at Anglia Ruskin University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Accommodating and allowed part time contract work on project in between postgraduate studies. Professional but relaxed work environment most based from home and on site.

Cons

Work can feel slightly repetitive and workload pressure can be quite bad at times. Lack of parking on site for staff.

Advice to Management

Take steps to communicate strategic goals to staff who facilitate them, this will go a long way to helping them understand the nature of their individual roles outputs.

"Lecturer in Engineering"

I have been working at Anglia Ruskin University (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is relatively easy and enjoyable.

Cons

It is hard to implement change.

Advice to Management

8. "Team Leader Digital Copy Centre"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Anglia Ruskin University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, a good place to be for a short period of time. Very friendly. Good CV experience from working with students and members of the general public. Good exposure on external communications with contractors. Made lots of good contacts with the rest of the University. Great flow of work.

Cons

The office is small. During hand in days the queue was reaching 20 meters. Needs more room, staff and space to cope with the volume of work.

Advice to Management

Great place. Keep the good communication between the team members. They did not say goodbye to me when I left but still, honest and decent people. Very professional. Happy to work with such skilled and knowledgeable personnel.

9. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Junior Research Fellow in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

It's great to be [art of an institution that's improving.
    There are good development opportunities for research staff.
    My head of dept is wonderful, very supportive.

Cons

Workload can be unrealistic for full time lecturing staff. Many Anglia students require additional contact time in order to pass. This is never accounted for in workload balancing.

Advice to Management

Recruitment is a serious issue. We need to turn some students away. Not because they don't deserve an education, but because they will simply be too resource intensive to push through. Often staff give of their own time to the most demanding (or lazy) students, and this is rarely acknowledged.
    Also, student satisfaction and module evaluations are not a true indication of the student experience. The good students rate us highly, students with poor attendance or achievement usually rate us lower. There is a positive correlation with hard work. The moral being: students get out what they put in.

10. "Research Assistant - ARU"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Anglia Ruskin University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff and amazing environment. Everyone has always been helpful and supporting and I really enjoyed every minute working there.

Cons

Sometimes the University lacks resources and some things might be a bit slow at the times. Overall however it is good

11. "Excellent, modern, supportive"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Chelmsford, England
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at Anglia Ruskin University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined AR University in September 2016 as a member of academic staff, and by far I am fully pleased and satisfied with my work here.

Interview went excellent, very friendly and supportive atmosphere, 5 out of 5. Fast and efficient recruitment process.
    On my first working day I received all the essential instructions, little tour across campus, and timetable with all important deadlines.

Some of the advantages:

1) Excellent corporate culture, diverse community of colleagues, relaxed creative atmosphere. I don't experience ANY stress at work (which is brilliant!!).
    2) Good location of the campus (Chelmsford, LAIBS, 40 min from London).
    3) Good restaurant at the ground floor with very friendly staff. Good quality of food too.
    4) Good IT support, very fast.
    5) Modern classrooms and other university facilities.
    6) Excellent admin team, always friendly and supportive.
    7) Good teaching/research/admin work balance;
    8) Faculty supported my research a lot. Just within 6 months of my employment, they approved the purchase of the individual licence for research software, sponsored the overseas trip for international research conference.
    9) Support for professional development. (e.g. PG cert Learning and Teaching Higher Education, and other trainings/workshops).

Cons

so far so good, have not anything in mind.

Advice to Management

Keep working on expansion of the research funding opportunities.