Anglian Water Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Anglian Water Reviews

Updated 17 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A high engagement level and a huge investment in people whilst still maintaining an outstanding level of customer service (in 6 reviews)

• Supportive and approachable management with plenty of opportunities to progress if you demonstrate the right behaviours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Quite a lot to learn - takes about a year to feel fully comfortable (in 5 reviews)

• When you first start the job there is a lot of new information so initially it can be overwhelming- (in 4 reviews)

1. "Worthwhile and rewarding"

Current Employee - Asset Management in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Asset Management in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Anglian Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO, a true inspiration and great vision. Excellent work life balance, supportive and rewarding perhaps most important worthwhile work that really matters.

Cons

IT is pretty useless and change can come at a glacial pace. Some recycling sites get a bit smelly in the summer!

Advice to Management

Invest more in equipping employees to enable them to do their jobs more easily

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntingdon, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntingdon, England

I have been working at Anglian Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AW has a refreshing approach to flexibility and you genuinely feel that you're measured in outputs and achievements rather than minutes on the clock.
    The company is striving towards efficiency and innovation so there are loads of opportunities to put ideas forward to make a difference, and all ideas are listened to.

Cons

On the downside it is still a large, regulated, business which means change can be slow and although innovation is happening, sometimes it's brought down by lack of budget available or slow decision making.

Advice to Management

Please please please improve the IT infrastructure.

3. "customer service specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartlepool, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartlepool, England

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

annualised hours make it impossible to plan

Advice to Management

5. "An inspiring company to work for where the leadership team really care"

Current Employee - Head of Tactical Operations in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Head of Tactical Operations in Lincoln, England

I have been working at Anglian Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are prepared to demonstrate the correct behaviours and show commitment then Anglian Water is an ideal company to work for. The development of people is a key success factor. I have worked for Anglian water for almost 40 years in various roles and various locations across the large geographical area and I have enjoyed every day.
    Some roles in our Operational centre can be challenging at times when we have events but there is always a professional attitude from employees as well as the ability to have enjoyment which is a key factor to success.
    The directors are very supportive and very visible to its employee's.
    For the right people who want key roles within the business the company is prepared to offer assistance in making this happen.

Cons

Like several reviews I have seen the IT side is an area where we could improve in terms of speed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good supportive and encouraging leadership skills.

6. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Anglian Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked here for 4 years and had excellent career support from all levels during that time. The business places real emphasis on self-development and rewards great work. There is plenty of challenge but also lots of support; where everyone pulls together well. There is a genuine family feel, with real consideration for employee wellbeing- senior leaders and directors are all very approachable and supportive. I'm very happy with my career at AW.

Cons

IT is lacking and a regular cause of frustration. Sometimes the hours can be long, dependant on customer needs. Some teams work in "silos" and don't see the greater good to the business.

Advice to Management

Everyone is different and can bring new perspectives; please continue to innovate so we can take our business forward.

7. "Lots of Progression Opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Lincoln, England

I have been working at Anglian Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities for those who want to progress within the business, and with the right attitude there's ample opportunity to be exposed to different areas and learning environments. Managers are on the whole very supportive of progression and development

Cons

Can be significantly constrained by the IT infrastructure when making changes and looking at innovative solutions

Advice to Management

We have a tendency to use corporate jargon and acronyms for everything. Remember not everybody gets it. Messages need to be clear and understood by people at all levels.

8. "Tread carefully!"

Current Employee - Jack of All! in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Jack of All! in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Anglian Water full-time

Pros

The company has a great helm, Peter Simpson, who can be trusted and is respected across the business even in the way that difficult aspects are addressed. He is a true water man so balances business and purpose really well. I have worked across most business units and would say that there is generally a good feeling and a family feel.

Cons

Think hard about joining the Asset Management business unit. Despite the pros above this is the one area that does not work particularly well. I moved across to other business units some months ago and life is more inspiring and rewarding. A lot of strong characters on the senior management team in this business unit that don't understand leadership or how to inspire. Old school leadership approaches are in place that in todays world we would tag as bullying. If you like that environment then it may suit you.

Advice to Management

Need a bit or a clear out in Asset Management.

9. "Lab technician"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician

Pros

good pension good working conditions. When i had cancer i was well looked after and an excellent phase back to work.

Cons

One didnt know how the day or week would pan out in terms of how much work came in each day and how the equipment would be.

10. "Challenging, yet rewarding"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Anglian Water (More than a year)

Pros

Room for development. Exposure to lots of parts of the organisation. Good benefits

Cons

Governance controls too tight and processes need reviewing. IT systems need updating to allow more agile working

Advice to Management

Relax the governance and look longer term instead of the immediate fire fighting

11. "Sewer tech"

Former Employee - Field Tech in King's Lynn, England
    Former Employee - Field Tech in King's Lynn, England

Pros

I was taught to a high standard, you had loads of chances to progress.and i worked with the best people in theworld.

Cons

The hardest thing for me was having to go single mand,and to drivefor an nearly two to get to the furthest jobs on standby.

Advice to Management

Think of your staff ,theydo the job,so listen to what they have to say,sometimes we the workers are right.