Anglian Water Employee Reviews about "aw"

Updated Apr 17, 2020

Found 13 of over 435 reviews

4.4
Anglian Water Managing Director Peter Simpson
Peter Simpson
Pros
  • "Offering flexible working arrangements to suit my needs(in 26 reviews)

• "Afforded me exceptional work/life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I would not recommend working at AW to my friends(in 6 reviews)

• "Quite a lot to learn - takes about a year to feel fully comfortable(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "aw"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Proud to work here

Apr 17, 2020 - Project Manager in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Feel valued as an employee, great benefits package, career progression opportunities and personal development opportunities such as courses/qualifications, AW does a huge amount for the environment and local communities, friendly & helpful colleagues, great work/life balance, free car parking, flexible & agile working encouraged, mental health & wellbeing focused.

Cons

The only con I can think of is it's sometimes difficult to find a parking space

Recruitment Advisor

Hello and thanks for leaving a 5 star review!

2. 3.0
      Current Freelancer, more than 3 years

An unfortunate team

Sep 15, 2019 - Data Interrogation Team in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The reputation AW has earned for the most part is well deserved. Their pay grades, efficiency & somewhat the care for their employees is unrivaled; they do go all out for the employees. A number of great entry level roles.

Cons

No guidance when it comes to progression, nor are there any clear paths set out by management in my experience to progress. Partisanship runs rampant in a number of teams and it shows in both the way management socializes with team members & the way management applies rules. There is a sense of superiority held amongst some of the higher paid. Seen & experienced a number of ridiculous rulings when it comes to grievances, requests & absences.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, but...

Aug 12, 2019 - LGV Driver in Norwich, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay and pension. Real opportunities for progression within certain parts of the business.

Cons

RES is a strange division of AW where employees do seem to be regarded differently to the rest of the company.

Recruitment Advisor

Thanks for taking the time to complete! We always want to hear your views so please share with your manager or HR Business Partner. Thanks!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

CEO makes all the right noises and appears to care. Pity about those under him

Jun 19, 2019 - Water Recycling M and E in Norwich, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some brilliant caring people at AW on the front line who are an absolute pleasure to work with. Most Front Line Managers do a fantastic job caring for Staff and Customers with little support from those immediately above. CEO very efficient, effective and understanding should he need to get involved personally in any issue.

Cons

Middle or should I say Muddle Management.... Central Control of Work Planning and Schedules the 'Elephant in the Room'. Issues retaining experienced staff in the 'Centre of Excellence' which is very frustrating for Front Line Staff and Customers alike and very inefficient, often with New Starters on Scheduling Desks with no experience attempting to do their best to schedule work for experienced teams using a 'clunky' scheduling tool. Middle Management appears top heavy, only the few really effective. Middle Managers also far too busy 'Empire Building'. Mr Peter Simpson's Message and Ethos while very laudable doesn't always appear to be put into practice. 'Country not Club' philosophy very good, but somewhat stifled by Middle Management, the Board including Mr Simpson appear to be sometimes told 'what they want to hear'.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

Oct 8, 2018 - Social Media Manager in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

AW is a genuinely innovative company with real value that run through everything they do. Providing water and sewerage services for millions of people is a huge challenge and you really feel a part of it and feel valued. There is real support for staff and a focus on wellbeing.

Cons

IT is an issue, but the solutions are on their way

Resourcing Manager

Thanks very much for your 5 star review, its great you feel valued here at AW. We are looking forward to the IT solutions that are underway.

6. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great work life balance and interesting work

Oct 14, 2018 - Anonymous Intern in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive culture, everyone seemed to enjoy working at AW.

Cons

It takes some time to get used to some of the technical terms/jargon

7. 5.0

Operational Management

Aug 8, 2018 - Operations Manager in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits package is still good compared to many organisations. Opportunities for progression are good if you work hard and take the opportunities as they arise and are prepared to put yourself out and make some sacrifices, travel etc. For me personally every where I have worked (over 28 years) has been like a second family and part of my life not just a job. I can honestly say even through the hard and stressful times I have loved it all. I have always received support from my managers and felt able to make decisions knowing they would support me even if the outcome wasn’t perfect. Commitment to improving service to customers and wanting to the right thing even if we cant afford complete resolutions. Importance of Wellbeing of staff. Commitment to Safety. All staff are able to say thank you or give a small financial reward to colleagues and peers for going above and beyond.

Cons

Not everyone has the same attitude to working for AW and believe the company owe them for the doing the job they are paid for. Operational staff are relied on by the rest of the business to deliver customer service and don’t see that service is their job. Some operational managers fail to take ownership and responsibility for customer service and their assets and look to someone else to blame and take the flack for them. Being a heavily regulated business the service we are able to offer is held back due to financial constraints. Reduction of pensions over the last 10 years was disappointing for longer serving employees, but pension is still good compared to other private businesses.

Resourcing Manager

Thanks for a detailed review, really appreciate this and lovely to see your comment about AW being like a second family.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

May 25, 2017 - Supply Manager in Huntingdon and Peterborough, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The drive and enthusiasm of the people who work here is fantastic. The company and the people who work in it really care about what they do. If you want to work somewhere where you feel like everything you do really makes a difference then AW is a good place. Water's director is inspiring and the culture in Water Services is strong and supportive.

Cons

Pay and conditions depend to much on where you work in the business. Water is a poor relation to other departments with pay being lower for the same sort of job than in asset management or recycling or anywhere else. Responsibility and the impact that getting it wrong could have is higher but it isn't recognised.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work with good opportunities

May 23, 2017 - Human Resources Business Partner in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with AW since October 2015, I originally joined the HR Department with the Employee Relations team. In December 2016 an opportunity came up to join the HR Business Partner team which is where I currently work. The main thing that I noticed when I first joined, and continue to notice every day is the enthusiasm and commitment people have for their roles, from water supply through to customer service everyone wants to do the best job they can do, furthermore people are always happy to help and explain what they do. Both teams I have worked directly in have been friendly and supportive, there is lots of scope of development and training if you want it. Work / life balance is the best I have ever had. Sometimes I work longer days but there is a lot of flexibility and I manage my own time without feeling pressure from anyone. Reward is good, I feel valued for what I do and feel that I make a difference to the business.

Cons

Some frustrations with the IT systems, although thinking about other places I have worked it is better than some and worse than others.

10. 5.0

Fantastic place to work

Apr 28, 2017 - Information Services Team in Huntingdon, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits package, flexible working and career progression. AW care about their people and its a great place to work

Cons

You don't get a discount on your water bill

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews