AppyParking Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 3 Sep 2019

4.8
AppyParking CEO Dan Hubert
Dan Hubert
  1. "Exciting, inventive and loads of energy"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in London, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ability to work on cutting edge technology. The team energy is great, people are compensated adequately. A lack of hierarchy and a sense of being part of every step in the decision making. We're building a completely new platform and we're the only ones doing that.

Cons

Nothing really, great place to work at all around

Advice to Management

Keep going!

AppyParking2019-09-03
  2. "Fab place to work"

Current Employee - Legal in London, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fab, friendly place to work with a really great culture - the team are super friendly, and there's always a social event going on. The company's vision is really exciting, and the work towards getting there is both diverse and challenging - so you will certainly gain great experience you would not get in a large corporate.

Cons

Only that it is still a start-up, so whilst we have great benefits, they aren't on par with a large company. Nothing deal breaking.

AppyParking2019-06-07
  3. "Awesome."

Current Employee - Operations Associate in London, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is top notch. Expectations are clear; there is no micromanagement; we can get involved in pretty much anything we want. Good humour all around, a beer and wine fridge, and everyone is encouraged to not work beyond office hours. The company goals and status is shared openly - there is definitely a feeling of 'everyone's in it together'. What sets this company apart from many similar ones is the... vision - 'Air Traffic Control' for cities is being built every day! There is a distinct lack of politics / sense of hierarchy - senior management treat the employees with respect and are very approachable.

Cons

There is a lot to do. Prioritisation can be challenging. If you want an 'easy' job, you'd be better off elsewhere. But if you like to roll your sleeves up, get stuck in, and actually achieve things, this isn't really a negative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

AppyParking2019-06-07
  4. "Great culture, highly innovative, very competitive, disrupting mobility."

Current Employee - C O O in City of London, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Changing the mobility landscape and working with really talented people every day.

Cons

Too much to do and not enough time in the day!

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

AppyParking2019-06-06
  5. "It's a good place"

Current Employee - UI-UX Designer in London, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for less than a year

Pros

Apart from new office, good hardware to work on and no issue with getting whatever you need to work they do have a strong vision and they know what they want to do. It's a really cool place to work, people are great and helpful, team is multicultural and embraces diversity. Also work-life balance is really encouraged so no work after hours!

Cons

I'd say there are normal, growing startup pains. Nothing major, nothing deal breaking.

AppyParking2019-06-05
  6. "Exciting company with great team"

Current Employee - Junior Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really driven group of people to work with. Everyone is genuinely excited about what is being produced and this has a created a really positive workplace where everyone gets stuck in. The company culture is also great with staff regularly socialising together outside of office hours

Cons

Usual start up growing pains but overall no real cons

AppyParking2019-06-05
  7. "Absolutely fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for less than a year

Pros

Agile culture, flexible working, open communication from management. Interesting tech, fabulous team, management really care about employee well-being.

Cons

Very few! It's a startup, so you don't get some of the usual big-company benefits.

AppyParking2019-06-05
  8. "Fast paced, fun startup creating a smart cities solution to usher in the age automated vehicles"

Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Developer in Faringdon, England

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for more than a year

Pros

The domain we're working on is large scale and challenging. Our long term strategy will have a impact on the way smart cities organise themselves and the lives of the inhabitants therein. Think "air traffic control" for automated vehicle fleets. Our technology stack is broad and cutting edge, so there's plenty of opportunity to spread yourself across new technology. We're not fans of dogma and we're mainly... interested in adapting the right technology to solve our customer's problems. There's a big emphasis on driving features based off user requirements here. The company culture here is fun and supportive, and possibly one of the best I've worked in. Employees here are encouraged to take ownership over problems, and when you're building a platform for a smart city there are plenty of interesting problems to solve. There's a healthy social thread that runs through this company. People support each other in the work they do, and we hold regular social events to keep the team close and the culture positive. This is particularly important during times when the pressure is on and there's a need to perform. There is no blame culture here at AppyParking, which is particularly important for engineers. Instead the company encourages contingency planning to ensure things go right the first time and retrospectives when things go wrong. Retrospectives occur at a sprint team level all the way up to a company level. The company regularly communicates it's vitals (product performance, investment opportunities, cash runway) on a monthly basis to its employees and the presentations are quite transparent. They also use net promoter score surveys and quarterly company meetings to address any concerns employees may have with the company, or to suggest improvements on how we can do things. What really impresses me the staff here at AppyParking is the drive to constantly learn from mistakes, and improve. The location of the office is in Farringdon, London, right next to the Leather Lane market - a great place for lunch. The office is spacious with plenty of natural light. It's exposed brickwork gives you that classic East London hipster startup vibe ;)

Cons

Like any startup, this place suffers from the usual growing pains whether it be basing its strategical decisions off poor / insufficient data, management interference in the design process, struggling to delegate responsibilities to the professionals it hires. These are problems you encounter when you realise you need to scale as a company and that not every decision can be or should be funnelled through a select... few. This process of growing up can be painful at times and is hard fought by the staff in this company. It's equal parts frustrating and invigorating to watch the company suffer and learn from its mistakes; and learn we have because the amount of change I've seen in 2 years is staggering. I've no doubt with the people we have we can make company's dream a success. Oh, there's no cucumber infused water on tap. Sadly not every company can afford to work in a wework.

Advice to Management

Trust the specialists you high, and delegate. Extract yourself from the detail of the design process. What's important is that we test, measure and improve, and ultimately move towards the goals set by the management team.

AppyParking2019-06-05
  9. "Had some growing pains, but has matured well"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at AppyParking full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Culture: I don't normally make a big deal out of company culture, but people are friends. Like they actively talk to each other and do stuff at the weekends.... it's not something I see very often, but is a great atmosphere. * Calibre: These are excellent people, both technically and personally, who I can trust to do their job well. On the dev side I have complete faith handing my code over into the care of... others, on the data side I trust their work and judgement. * Functional Team: No back biting, undermining, gossip or empire building. As the company has grown and formed departments, things have meshed pretty well and the right people mostly seem to have fallen into place. * Cool dev problems. Geospacial data over time, big data sets, high volume event ingestion, distributed systems with partitioning. It's _all_ interesting. * Office Dog! Harvey is a cutie.

Cons

* It's relentless. (Still growing fast, lots to do) * The product direction can be a bit chaotic. * Still get the occasional - "It's only a button, just stick it in, that's what, couple of hours?"

Advice to Management

There were some teething mistakes as the company grew, but you've learned and adjusted. Keep moving in the right direction. (And listen to Development more)

AppyParking2019-05-20
  10. "Avoid like the plague"

I worked at AppyParking

Pros

It was a job that paid the bills

Cons

Where do you start, poorly run Mickey Mouse club of a company that is basically just a boys club trying to be something it’s not

Advice to Management

Try something else as not one manager in this company knows what they are doing

AppyParking2018-10-18