Aquent DEV6 Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Ed Van Beilen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Aquent DEV6 full-time

Pros

Been working here for years, this company promotes/encourages growth and learning. This is great as I never stay doing the same thing for a long time. My peers are talented and humble people with no attitude. I like not being micro managed and the fact that I rarely get asked for overtime. Great work life balance, and for me a great location with short commute. Company really cares about employees and are transparent with financials. We enjoy routine company outings to various locations which is always nice.

Cons

The kitchen is a little small and awkward to gather for lunches and a few of the offices are oddly laid out. If heading out to Square One for lunch it can be a bit of a tight fit with the walk.

2. "Mississauga!"

Pros

As a Senior Consultant at DEV6, I have the opportunity to work on exciting projects all the time. This company really focuses on staying up to date technically. We are always seeking to discover new and better ways to build our apps. I've had many opportunities to new build apps right from the beginning, with new technology.

Our size also allows us to maintain a quick pace, and a culture where everyone's time is respected. DEV6 continues to invest in it's employees skills AND in our clients skills. This contributes to building a culture of learning and sharing.

Cons

Mississauga is an unusual place to find a company of experts in JavaScript development, and although its location within Mississauga is great, most people would still have a significant commute to overcome to be in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in attracting interesting opportunities for your consultants to work on! We should continue searching for ways to expand our reach so more people know about us.

3. "A positive, supportive development environment."

Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aquent DEV6 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the world of software development can be tough. What makes that better is your organization helps make the job easier and therefore more enjoyable. From my experience DEV6 creates a positive development environment. I'd like to sum up why in 3 areas - Projects, People and Culture:

Projects - As a consulting company, we provide services to a diverse range of enterprise clients. The consistent theme between these partners is that they're serious businesses with serious needs, and their processes and professionalism reflect this. As a developer I get to work with some of the best project managers in the field. When a project is managed well, the developers working on it are happier. Also, as our projects are for varied clients, we have the opportunity to take on different domain challenges. I can transition from a project taking on concerns in the car industry to a project facing problems related to healthcare. Having these fresh challenges keeps the job exciting and engaging.

People - We have a number of people who've been working in the industry, and with us, for many years. The shared experience cool in the company is great. This experience includes a depth of programming knowledge, with many brains to pick for problem solving and architectural advice, but also management knowledge, with a senior management team that knows how to treat employees well and to help us all keep our clients happy. Our people share knowledge both on an ad-hoc basis and also with internal lunch & learn events that disperse expertise throughout the company. You can only learn and be supported if you have the right people around you, and I feel that I do have those people here.

Culture - There are some companies who don't care if you finish one workday at 4AM and come into the next at 10 ready to keep grinding, fuelled only by coffee and a fear of failure. DEV6 is not one of those companies. Our culture is focused on developer happiness and wellbeing. This is demonstrated in multiple ways - whether it's our company events where we have fun as a team together (ever tried Battle Archery?), or our health and wellness programme where we've been learning how to take better care of ourselves physically and mentally, or just through the fact that we're all trying to help each other learn new things and better ourself in our careers ever day. If a company has a bad culture, it kills employee motivation. Working here, I feel like the culture is one of the best aspects of the job.

If you want engaging projects, supportive people and a good overall culture, DEV6 is a great place to work.

Cons

I don't live in Mississauga. If you don't live in the area, perhaps you may a long commute. From my employment experience I'd kind of like it if we had a downtown office, but this is a subjective issue and really isn't a fault with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering a good work environment and bringing in the exciting clients!

Aquent DEV6 Response

6 Jul 2017 – Sales & Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your review - We are very proud of our new Health & Wellness Program and are happy to hear our employees are enjoying it and benefiting from this new initiative. In addition - we are... More

4. "Great coworkers and projects"

Pros

I've worked at DEV6 as a consultant and developer for a number of years and I can say it is a great company to work for.

The people are really what make any company great and DEV6 is no different. There are plenty of senior people with years of enterprise web project experience to learn from and they're all really nice people who are collaborative and enjoy teaching and learning from each other. There are also a diverse group of talented young people with fresh ideas and excitement to code.

Management is great too. They have decades of tech industry experience and they’re focused and respectful -- they do not micromanage your work, giving you the trust and freedom to get your work done with the highest quality and satisfaction. Management also takes the entire team for dinner and fun events every quarter (go karting, cooking classes, etc.).

Because management and the rest of the team are so great, we have attracted a number of recognizable Fortune 500 customers with challenging and ground breaking projects to work on. Yet, crunch time is virtually non-existent with most people working typical 9-5 hours.

The location is excellent too. There is a convenient lunch café one floor below; Tim Horton’s is a two-minute walk away and then of course Square One Shopping Center, Wal-Mart and Whole Foods are across the street, which makes it very convenient to run errands at lunch and after work, not to mention dozens more food options.

Cons

Since the company is in Mississauga then you will have a noticeable commute if you live downtown. That said, you can dodge a lot of that traffic with the right route.

Aquent DEV6 Response

6 Jul 2017 – Sales & Marketing Specialist

At DEV6 we are proud of our strong customer portfolio (https://www.dev6.com/our-work). However - we know we wouldn't be able to attract and retain this caliber of clients without our talented and... More