Aquila Heywood Reviews

Updated 18 Jan 2021

4.2
Aquila Heywood Chief Executive Officer Andy Ross (no image)
Andy Ross
Pros
  • "Colloborative culture and great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

• "The new CEO was probably the best thing that's happened to this company since I started to work for them in 2017(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible working culture which I believe filters down from the owner, as others have mentioned certainly a strong blame culture(in 9 reviews)

• "Owner has handed over to a new CEO but continues to tie his hands on decisions(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"A great place to be (virtually for now)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altrincham, England

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture and support. Wide variety of work to get involved in. Strong in the marketplace with an excellent client base. Adjusted to remote working well.

Cons

Career path can be undetermined in some roles (but likely due to size of business). Could do with more opportunities to take on professional qualifications while in role. Benefits package (aside from Salary) could be improved.

2. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Pensions Calculation Developer in Altrincham, England

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time

Pros

lots of support plenty of work driving changes forward

Cons

career direction uncertain front end product focused

3. "Not diversity"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Aquila Heywood full-time for less than a year

Pros

proximity to town center, few friendly people

Cons

More unfriendly people, low pay

4. "very good company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Aquila Heywood full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

look after staff very well and offer good progression

Cons

none the company is a great place to work

5. COVID-19

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Altrincham, England

I worked at Aquila Heywood full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heywood got their culture right. Their company values are embedded in every department and you can see that on daily basis. Very robust and resilient company structure yet everybody is approachable, friendly, and always helpful. It's a great place to work if you are a graduate because their processes and tools are always up to date with the latest company trends and tech. The company's response to the COVID pandemic was really good. They did a good job by moving to fully remote working and kept every safe and sound. They are always transforming (for the better) so it's never a bad time to join them!

Cons

Not much on a negative side. Maybe more curly fries?

"Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Altrincham, England

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Been lots of ups and downs over the years, but this is the most enjoyable period of working here. Employees are trusted and appreciated.

Cons

No real cons to speak of.

"Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Consultancy

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive and friendly atmosphere. Colloborative culture and great people to work with. Lots of recent investment and the company continues to grow

Cons

No cons I have come across. Great place to work

"Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Legal in Altrincham, England

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for, down to earth people, flexible and remote working, very approachable and supportive CEO

Cons

I’ve not experienced anything negative

9. COVID-19

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Altrincham, England

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Plenty of room for change and development. A lot of people in the business have changed roles multiple times, even completely changing career paths with no experience in the new role. - Excellent opportunities to learn. There are monthly HIVE days which are community led knowledge and sharing days. The senior management team encourage people to run and attend sessions as much as possible. There is also support for those taking exams that the company like you to have (java, PMI, Prince2 etc) These HIVE days have continued virtually during 2020. - Pay is very good and above market rates. Annual reviews and bonus schemes, even paid in 2020. - Genuinely lovely people. It’s a cliché on people’s leaving speeches/emails that they say “it’s the people that make it” and it’s 100% true. Some of the nicest people I’ve met are from Aquila Heywood. There is a large proportion of people who have referred friends or family into the business, people who have made friends at work and have gone on holiday together or continued to meet up if they’ve left the business. A lot of staff have been there for over 10 years which says something, 20 or 30 years’ service isn’t that uncommon! The people care about their jobs and the work they do. - Extremely supportive senior management team, all very approachable and friendly, including CEO. I know I can approach my manager about anything or ask advice on work and this has been the case in all of the management I’ve had in my time at Aquila Heywood. CEO always says hello and chats to everyone he sees about the office in the day and gets involved in social events which is refreshing. - Very stable company in uncertain time. Plenty of work to keep you busy and plenty to learn, sometimes it can be a bit crazy as we do run a bit lean resource wise but it’s good to know there is a steady stream of work in the future. -Customers are VERY long term and therefore make an effort to get know those who they deal with regularly (PS, Service Desk, CRM) Generally the customers are friendly and easy to get along with. - Altrincham is a lovely town to work in. Office is short walk from tram and the town centre is full of bars, cafes and restaurants. Team lunches and nights out were a regular thing when we were all in the office. - Company has changed a lot in last few years, especially since the loss of the southern part of the business. This has worked in the Altrincham’s office favour and it’s a better place to work now everyone is in the North. -Handling of COVID-19 has been outstanding. Everyone moved to working from home and was able to have additional equipment (either collect some or have it couriered to you) to help transition. Weekly Townhalls with updates from around the business so employees have been more engaged what’s going on around the business since COVID-19. Surveys were conducted on how people were feeling, their perceived level of productivity and their desire to return to the office to ensure everyone’s voices were heard. Offices have now reopened if people wish to go in but with a cap on how many people in at once. There is also extra cleaning, safety measures and social distance. All of the senior management team have been supportive in those working strange hours to cater for family needs. We were encouraged to look after ourselves mentally too by taking virtual coffee breaks to speak to team members and other people round the business so no-one feels isolated.

Cons

- While pay is very good there is a bit of mystery around salaries, it would be good if ranges or benchmarked were shared. - Some processes are long and convoluted as there can be many layers of management sign off which can be frustrating at times. Senior management team do acknowledge this and try to make smooth as possible though but do have hands tied.

10. COVID-19

"Successfully onboarding people during lockdown"

4.0

I have been working at Aquila Heywood full-time

Pros

Working hard to keep people informed

Cons

Older technology that needs updating

Viewing 1 - 10 of 66 English Reviews