Argus Media Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 4 Dec 2020

3.3
Argus Media Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Adrian Binks (no image)
Adrian Binks
Pros
Cons
  • "I have seen very competent and ambitious reporters become extremely demotivated in certain teams(in 8 reviews)

• "There's some serious holes in senior management and they don't engage enough with their employees(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Nice environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Argus Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance most of the time, nice people, nice offices/location, wealth of information/expertise within the company

Cons

Too many silos and completion between different offices, teams and departments can be dysfunctional many times, bonus scheme is a joke

"This company lacks diversity"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Argus Media full-time

Pros

Good work life balance Nice salary Good london office

Cons

As a current employee it has been brought to my attention that this company lacks (racial and cultural )diversity, which is a shame considering our headquarters is in one of the worlds most diverse cities. I feel as though this hinders the progression and potential of the company

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Reporter in London, England

I have been working at Argus Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, people, plenty of contacts and expertise in the field

Cons

Can get boring if you don’t seek out challenges

4. "Repetitive, but good life-work balance"

Current Employee - Market Reporter in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Argus Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, decent salary, nice office

Cons

Repetitive work as a price reporter

"A good company, going bad"

1.0
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at Argus Media full-time

Pros

For the majority of the time, Argus provided an excellent work/life balance, good career opportunities and strong support from immediate line managers to coach and develop talent. This was an excellent environment to show initiative, learn new skills, be given the opportunity to put them into practice and be recognised for it. Line managers also actively encouraged and valued new ideas and opinions, creating a working environment that was collaborative, productive and satisfying on both a professional and personal level.

Cons

A disappointing senior hire quickly demoralised and destroyed a successful department within a few short months. Established talent that had previously been invested in by the company left very quickly, leaving a significant skills, knowledge and capacity deficit. A toxic working environment ensued where people were no longer valued and opinions no longer welcomed. Weak leadership combined with severe staff shortages resulted in unmanageable workloads and extreme pressure on a few individuals to cover for the shortcomings of senior management.

Argus Media Response

December 10, 2018Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your comments. To ensure that the company continues to grow and operates as a truly global business, we needed to complete a reorganisation of our marketing team. This is the right decision for the company. However, we acknowledge that reorganisations bring a number of challenges and are rarely a smooth process; we regret that some of our colleagues have decided not to continue with their career journeys at Argus. We are actively working to establish a strong and collaborative team of marketing specialists who can take forward our vision for the function and deliver exceptional results. We are committed to our investment in that team and to maintaining the Argus culture.

6. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Argus Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and was using some modern tools, docker, aws.

Cons

Tended to outsource more difficult task to consultants

"So much micromanagement"

2.0

I have been working at Argus Media full-time

Pros

Work/life balance. Not much else.

Cons

There is so much micromanagement. Argus doesn't even trust its editors. For a to me unknown reason business development have their hands in everything and get a lot of credit for a success or a publication. I can't get my head around how this place works. The editors know their stuff and have their network out there, and yet BD get to have their say in what the clients apparently want and need and how it should be done. Often whatever BD think is seen as the right way. It almost seems that as an editor you are under constant surveillance of your own editor, from BD and sales. If things go well, they all take credit. If they don't then it's the editors mistake. Also, the C-suite has serious issues and completely lacks leadership. There are some serious dinosaurs in there who need replacing.

"Comfortable, poor management"

Current Employee - Report in London, England

I have been working at Argus Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/life balance is very good as are the pay and benefits generally. Some lovely people and a nice working environment, more opportunities recently.

Cons

There's a serious lack of transparency and clarity over promotions and pay rises. There's isn't a clear enough sense of expectations and goals and promotions are based on who you know / who is your manager. There's some serious holes in senior management and they don't engage enough with their employees. At the very top there's an old boys club that seems very difficult for anyone who isn't old, male and white to break into. It's demotivating to have no real sense of what you can achieve and how and to feel that no matter how well you do there is a limit on your progress just 'because' and so people leave to go elsewhere - loads of talented people have left in the last year for this reason.

9. "Would recommend"

I have been working at Argus Media full-time

Pros

Good work - life balance Good career opportunities Excellent pension

Cons

Role varies enormously depending on the market you are covering

"Comfortable"

I have been working at Argus Media full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, collegiate atmosphere, relatively low stress work, interesting sector, opportunities to travel

Cons

Slow pace of work. Office lacks dynamism. Opportunities for advancement insufficient.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 English Reviews