Arm Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Arm CEO Simon Segars
Simon Segars
  1. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great multicultural team - wizards of engineering, care to share

Cons

no cons so far .

Arm2019-09-18
  2. "Poor Software Development Practices and Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The pay is very good. Outside of Cambridge in most places you will earn a very good wage for your living costs. * The offices are nice. Standing desks, no hot-desks. Quiet environment and you are free to go to the one of many meeting rooms if you need to. It's a technology company so technical people are taken seriously.

Cons

* Poor work-life balance. Arm Manchester mainly recruits very smart young people and makes them work super hard. Most people do additional work into the evenings, either on the record or not. Most people will claim not to even though they do! This is because the level of workload that is assigned to each employee - you are not directly told to work overtime but if you don't, you will get bad performance reviews etc.... * Confrontational and competitive environment. Not really a collaborative environment unless you were hired in via a referral and already have allies there. * Lack of focus on testing and quality. There is no real resourcing for testing/test quality. It is a developer-led organisation and testing is seen as an afterthought or not important in general.

Advice to Management

* Make interviews more rigorous and reduce the number of 'buddy hires' we have where people are hired through knowing someone in the organisation. This leads to a lack of diversity and tribialism. * Encourage the introverted engineers to collaborate more and not see everyone as direct competition. Build a team environment. * Make sure there is a dedicated test management hierachy, with quality being valued. This... will result in better software. There are pockets of huge resistance to modern software engineering practices such as Agile and these need to be eliminated one way or another.

Arm2019-10-21
  3. "great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment. Many things to learn.

Cons

A bit difficult to get more responsibilities

Arm2019-10-16
  4. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

The company is quite supportive. Management holds open doors policy Sharing of information is great. You could easily know what happens around the company. The company has a great growth potential. Good work-life balance

Cons

The package for software developers in Cambridge is not competitive.

Arm2019-10-16

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

You have outlined some of the key reasons many of us really like working at Arm - thank you.

5. "nice place to work but work and life balance is an issue"

Current Employee - CPU Design Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice ppl to work with

Cons

work and life balance is an issue

Arm2019-10-14

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Work-life balance is one of the key 'pros' we see more than 'cons' at Arm, so I'm a little surprised to read this. Would you be open to picking up with me directly? Aylin.Halil@arm.com so I can understand a little more about your experience.

"Started great, going down the hill recently"

Current Employee - Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of valuable people to learn from Interesting work

Cons

Unhealthy internal competition Unfairness No focus on individual people Constant changes in how things are done, often for worse

Arm2019-10-05

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

We completely agree, there are some wonderful minds at Arm we can all learn from. We are keen to understand a little more about the cons you have mentioned. We feel it's important all our people are heard and would like the opportunity to touch base with you directly. If you'd be so kind as to email us on GlassdoorFeedback@arm.com I'll follow up with you from there.

"An amazing company with generic growth issues in a thought and competitive landscape"

Current Employee - Senior Verification Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Great opportunities for learning from top industry talent 2. Company values are thought out and tried to stay on focus and relevant 3. Passionate environment nurturing creativity and proactively pushing for innovation 4. Most people are easily approachable and happy to be consulted

Cons

1. Lots of restructuring recent years for better or worse 2. Some office politics taking place but in most cases it's unavoidable for a company with that size unfortunatly

Advice to Management

Listen more to the engineers and try to get the real feedback and don't be scared to proactively seek also the behind the back, coffee talks, insight too. Try to stay unbiased, not to punish proactive criticism even if it's delivered with a tinge of emotion and anger. Maintain or create a positive proactive environment even in the worst project crunching critical times to ensure team unity and happiness leading to... higher productivity too hopefully.

Arm2019-09-30
  8. "Great work life balance, challenging at times"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- working in cutting edge technology - working on something that ships in MOST mobile devices in the world - great work life balance - a cluster of really passionate and experienced people

Cons

- base salary could be improved (the bonuses make it SO MUCH better) - location: Cambridge (this can be a pro or a con. It's a beautiful town but having an office in London might add so many possibilities for the company, human resource wise) - sometimes projects might get a bit stalled (boring), that totally depends on where and with whom you work.

Advice to Management

- focus on compensation, retention and challenging projects

Arm2019-09-13
  9. "good"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits are good, people are nice, multinational.

Cons

tech guys atmosphere too strong

Arm2019-09-26

"Static Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money and the CV cred.

Cons

- Overcrowded offices, lots of obnoxious people. - Stagnation rampant, people working hard for years but aren't managers pets. People with PhDs on the same level as graduates. - Boring work. 90% of work is jumping through internal hoops rather than actual development. - Executives MIA and can't bring middle-managers to heel. - "ARM culture" a distant memory, descended into insecure engineers, bureacrats... phoning it in and socialising most of the day.

Advice to Management

Less of it.

Arm2019-09-29

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

It seems you have been with the business a while and witnessed a fair amount of growth and subsequently change. When businesses go through change, it can feel and seem different. Arm is no longer a small Cambridge based business, but a Global 7,000+ organisation, creating technology that touches more than 70% of the world's population. Whilst we have had some delays with the new offices in Cambridge, announcements are due with confirmed move dates for everyone soon, we hope this will make for a less crowded environment for you. It is a shame you don't feel your role is challenging you anymore, perhaps we can support you with this? Please feel free to reach out and pick on the points you've raised. You aren't having what we would deem a typical Arm experience and we are keen to ensure we do all we can to change that. GlassdoorFeedback@Arm.com we look forward to hearing from you.

Found 352 reviews