Arm Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 18 Jan 2021

4.3
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
  • "The company really cares about your work-life balance(in 212 reviews)

• "Cooperation in work environment(in 111 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Location not exactly in the center of Cambridge(in 71 reviews)

• "Work life balance at Arm can be difficult to balance(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

14 Jan 2021 - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with brilliant people, many opportunities for improvement and development, good work life balance. And of course the sabbatical (you get a month of paid leave after every 4 years of service).

Cons

This is my first workplace in the industry I don't have any basis for comparison.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

An opportunity to work at the forefront of innovation

7 Jan 2021 - Part-Time Undergraduate in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

• You get to work on the future of computer architecture on some amazing projects • The people are extremely talented and genuinely care about your wellbeing • The company really cares about your work-life balance • Good opportunities for career growth • The FlexPot provides £4500 top of your salary to provide for your wellbeing and development

Cons

• Salaries for interns/part-time undergraduate employees is very low

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company for graduates

13 Jan 2021 - Graduate Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Work-life balance, -Work is actually interesting, -Benefit package

Cons

None I can think of

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent company to work for

27 Dec 2020 - Design Verification Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work culture, Supportive management. Good work life balance!!!

Cons

Company needs to gain more brand value.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Cons are a lot more than pros

19 Oct 2020 - Principal Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good work life balance - Good benefits

Cons

- So many big changes in very short time - Workplace is constantly unstable - Tries to tie you to work by introducing payback clauses on visa etc. as if they own you - Some of the senior people (at Director level) are incompetent - If you are not part of the CPU team, what you work on most likely to be killed in 6-12 months time

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

24 Nov 2020 - Senior Marketing Analytics Specialist in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, good work life balance, great benefits

Cons

None that I have come across

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

14 Sep 2020 - Senior Travel Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with Offers a great work/life balance as well as amazing benefits ! Encourages career progression

Cons

Can be a demanding place to work at times.

8. 2.0

Poor Software Development Practices and Work-Life Balance

21 Oct 2019 - Senior Engineer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* The pay is very good. Outside of Cambridge in most places you will earn a very good wage for your living costs. * The offices are nice. Standing desks, no hot-desks. Quiet environment and you are free to go to the one of many meeting rooms if you need to. It's a technology company so technical people are taken seriously.

Cons

* Poor work-life balance. Arm Manchester mainly recruits very smart young people and makes them work super hard. Most people do additional work into the evenings, either on the record or not. Most people will claim not to even though they do! This is because the level of workload that is assigned to each employee - you are not directly told to work overtime but if you don't, you will get bad performance reviews etc. * Confrontational and competitive environment. Not really a collaborative environment unless you were hired in via a referral and already have allies there. * Lack of focus on testing and quality. There is no real resourcing for testing/test quality. It is a developer-led organisation and testing is seen as an afterthought or not important in general.

6 people found this review helpful

Arm Response

Global Talent Brand Manager

In our most recent Life At Arm survey, along with a host of reviews across Glassdoor and similar platforms, our people rate the ‘Work-Life Balance’ along with the flexible working environment, as some of the best attributes to working at Arm. I’ve visited many of our Arm offices and Manchester is one of my favourite, more for the indescribable culture. It’s as close to a creative, free-thinking and collaborative environment I believe Arm has - so I was really surprised to read about your experience. Whilst we expect collaboration amongst our teams, we must also be mindful that introverts may behave differently. We are committed to creating an adaptable and inclusive environment where people are empowered to be their brilliant selves at work. As with most global businesses, some teams are matrix managed, we do recognise this results in the creation of microcultures but we would like to think you have the ability to speak with your Manager about the way you feel, or the site lead- in this case, it’s Ross Keeping for Manchester. When speaking with Ross about your review, he wholeheartedly understood your frustrations around testing and I’m on the understanding there are steps being taken to improve this. Perhaps you could take this as an opportunity to speak with him as to how this may be relevant for you and your team. Outside of this, I’m keen to see how we can help change the way you feel about the environment you’re currently working in. Both Ross Keeping and I can be found on Outlook, as you are still an employee of Arm’s that would be the easiest way to reach out. We very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Not everyone's cup of tea

7 Jun 2020 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Pay and perks are great! Bonuses and awards spread out throughout the financial year - Collaborative culture, even across offices and countries - Plenty of volunteering opportunities - Relaxed office culture with a casual dress code and games in the office (In Cambridge: Xbox, shuffleboard, table football) - Opportunity to work with different teams, international secondments and internal transfers are common

Cons

Arm senior leadership means well and are very supportive (especially during a crisis like COVID-19) but the culture at Arm just does not promote excellence. If you are mildly ambitious and looking for a cushy job that will give you a fantastic work-life balance and sense of security, Arm is just the place for you. For ambitious and driven people, working at Arm can be draining and staying too long can make you feel like you’ve hit a dead end. This feeling mainly stems from poor middle management and seeing people you wouldn’t consider particularly good at their jobs consistently be promoted. Making noise with no substance is often (unintentionally) heralded at Arm. That said, Arm is recognised in the industry as a breeding ground for young talent and serves as a springboard to industry giants like Intel and Apple. Arm does have it’s share of mavericks who manage to shrewdly avoid internal politics and ignore the general lack of quality. These rare gems manage to carve their own path and become successful in the true sense of the word. The graduates Arm hires often have a lot of potential and a fire in their eyes but too many of them have the flames doused by the time they hit their one-year anniversary at the company. Arm can and should do better to improve quality standards and their definition of the core value ‘be your brilliant self’.

12 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Maybe the best company I have worked for, but could still be better

27 Aug 2020 - Applications Engineer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent salary and perks. Very good work-life balance. Good opportunities for promotion. Leader in the industry.

Cons

Too many reorgs: feels like executive management is lacking vision. Very CPU-centric, any other products don't receive too much attention. Too many layers of management, which doesn't help solving real problems.

1 person found this review helpful