Arm "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Arm Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 5 Feb 2020

4.1
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
  • "Working on technology that is transforming the world whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance(in 174 reviews)

• "amazing location and work environment(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very Cambridge-focussed, but Manchester's growth is changing that(in 68 reviews)

• "Work/life balance might be tricky in some positions although may not be a problem if you enjoy what you are doing(in 25 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Information Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture, work/life balance, and modern well equipped working environments

Cons

Many complicated systems to work with, some better than other but there is steady ongoing effort to improve these and streamline processes

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is very good, especially after recent salary increases in Cambridge and Manchester. The Manchester office is very well designed and provides a great working environment. The company culture encourages and supports very collaborative working processes and work-life balance is good. Most teams are quite open to remote working on a regular basis.

Cons

The recruitment process isn't as smooth as it could be and seems to have got worse recently, both for candidates and hiring managers. The system for hiring staff on fixed-term contracts is not very flexible. Some of the engineering support services are under-resourced and not performing to the high standard you'd expect from a world-leading company.

February 13, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

We think Manchester is awesome too! Many thanks for your honesty in the areas we could improve as a business. As a technologist, you will understand the changes we are making are being delivered in an iterative fashion, the processes being put in place we hope will iron out some of the snags in both the Hiring Manager and Candidate Experience. Whilst the TA team regularly survey the Hiring Manager community receiving really positive feedback, I appreciate sometimes the anecdotal thoughts fall through the cracks– for that reason we would really appreciate an opportunity to understand what quick wins we could implement to make the process smoother for you. As an existing employee, I’m contactable on outlook and quite often in the Manchester office, Jim Rackett – looking forward to hearing from you.

Continue reading
  3. "Massive growth and focus on Manchester"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance. Flexible working around childcare. Very competitive salary. Great (and actually useful) benefits. Modern office in central Manchester. Great team, with lots of social opportunities. Working on the latest technology. Lots of opportunities for advancement (if you're prepared to get out of your comfort zone). Very committed to training and personal development.

Cons

Can be risk-averse (kind of goes with the territory in chip design) but this is improving. Very Cambridge-focussed, but Manchester's growth is changing that. There is a tendency to overshare internally, so you can feel like you're drowning in information at first. You soon learn how to control it though.

Arm2020-02-05
  4. "Manchester's great ... Arm's awesome ... the office is cool"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Compensation package is excellent and has a paid 4-week sabbatical! * Friendly and clever people to work with across the globe - especially friendly in Manchester. * Working on technology that is transforming the world whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance. * Manchester office is in a great city centre and is a world-class environment to work in with a great vibe.

Cons

* Can be less efficient and effective working across different geographies. The pain of any global company to be honest. * Rapid growth of people and markets etc. can slow things down and lead to an overload of information.

Arm2020-02-04
  5. "Staff Verification Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good company to work for, with good work ethics and ethos. Decent package and benefits. Very flexible on working time with good work life balance.

Cons

Shares are not part of package

Arm2019-10-29

"Poor Software Development Practices and Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The pay is very good. Outside of Cambridge in most places you will earn a very good wage for your living costs. * The offices are nice. Standing desks, no hot-desks. Quiet environment and you are free to go to the one of many meeting rooms if you need to. It's a technology company so technical people are taken seriously.

Cons

* Poor work-life balance. Arm Manchester mainly recruits very smart young people and makes them work super hard. Most people do additional work into the evenings, either on the record or not. Most people will claim not to even though they do! This is because the level of workload that is assigned to each employee - you are not directly told to work overtime but if you don't, you will get bad performance reviews etc. * Confrontational and competitive environment. Not really a collaborative environment unless you were hired in via a referral and already have allies there. * Lack of focus on testing and quality. There is no real resourcing for testing/test quality. It is a developer-led organisation and testing is seen as an afterthought or not important in general.

Arm2019-10-21

October 30, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

In our most recent Life At Arm survey, along with a host of reviews across Glassdoor and similar platforms, our people rate the ‘Work-Life Balance’ along with the flexible working environment, as some of the best attributes to working at Arm. I’ve visited many of our Arm offices and Manchester is one of my favourite, more for the indescribable culture. It’s as close to a creative, free-thinking and collaborative environment I believe Arm has - so I was really surprised to read about your experience. Whilst we expect collaboration amongst our teams, we must also be mindful that introverts may behave differently. We are committed to creating an adaptable and inclusive environment where people are empowered to be their brilliant selves at work. As with most global businesses, some teams are matrix managed, we do recognise this results in the creation of microcultures but we would like to think you have the ability to speak with your Manager about the way you feel, or the site lead- in this case, it’s Ross Keeping for Manchester. When speaking with Ross about your review, he wholeheartedly understood your frustrations around testing and I’m on the understanding there are steps being taken to improve this. Perhaps you could take this as an opportunity to speak with him as to how this may be relevant for you and your team. Outside of this, I’m keen to see how we can help change the way you feel about the environment you’re currently working in. Both Ross Keeping and I can be found on Outlook, as you are still an employee of Arm’s that would be the easiest way to reach out. We very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

Continue reading
  7. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

The company is quite supportive. Management holds open doors policy Sharing of information is great. You could easily know what happens around the company. The company has a great growth potential. Good work-life balance

Cons

The package for software developers in Cambridge is not competitive.

Arm2019-10-16

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

You have outlined some of the key reasons many of us really like working at Arm - thank you.

Continue reading
  8. "Genuinely nice place to work"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Hoddesdon, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects, nice people, pleasant working environment. Employees are keen to improve their skill set and knowledge. As an employer, Arm are continually looking to support their employees both professionally and personally with initiatives that promote both. Work/Life balance is superb. You would NEVER find anything like this in the City. Arm genuinely appreciate the importance of family. The City only pay it lip service. Arm has a great presence within the community and support many local charities and events.

Cons

Cambridge is not a cheap place to live. Perhaps salaries should be on a par with London.

Arm2019-10-09
  9. "Great work life balance, challenging at times"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- working in cutting edge technology - working on something that ships in MOST mobile devices in the world - great work life balance - a cluster of really passionate and experienced people

Cons

- base salary could be improved (the bonuses make it SO MUCH better) - location: Cambridge (this can be a pro or a con. It's a beautiful town but having an office in London might add so many possibilities for the company, human resource wise) - sometimes projects might get a bit stalled (boring), that totally depends on where and with whom you work.

Arm2019-09-13

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enough freedom to work on areas you like. Has relatively good salaries (in UK). Arm has great culture and good work life balance. Lots of initiates to make work place better.

Cons

Sometimes you feel the politics is taking over.

Arm2019-07-27