Arnold Clark Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 November 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company is continuing to grow which means that job security is something no-one needs to worry about" (in 17 reviews)

• "Average company benefits ie discount of cars, pension, private health care" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours for some sales executives" (in 30 reviews)

• "Work life balance was a massive let down and the uncertain changes of shift patterns" (in 6 reviews)

"Prebooking Agent"

Former Employee - Prebooking Agent in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Prebooking Agent in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    - A real chance to make bonus as the incentives reward you for working hard
    - Most of the managers were friendly and approachable
    - Up to date software and equipment so you can work effectivly

Cons

- Can get repetitve but you are told up front exactly what you are signing up for
    - No set shift patterns worked on rotational shifts throughout the week which was hard to get into a rhythm

Advice to Management

Thoroughly enjoyed my time working with you! You were strict but fair and gave me the push needed to focus and work to task!

2. "Amazing Company to work for"

Current Employee - Early Careers Recruitment Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Early Careers Recruitment Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team morale, supportive colleagues & manager, interesting & exciting work, lot's of employee engagement initiatives, career growth opportunities and lot's of training too. The company also create fantastic opportunities for young people and give a lot back to the local communities. I am a very happy employee.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

To continue to do what they are doing now as the company is forward thinking and inclusive and moving with the times.

"if your into cars then yes"

Current Employee - Product Genius in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - Product Genius in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

love working for the company get to drive some amazing cars and pay is really good aswell for what you do.

Cons

management are not the best but i think this is the same in most branches, morning meetings can be really negative sometimes and just makes you want to leave the company sometimes

4. "Graphic Designer"

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

A great place to work and develop your skills in a industry leading team. Access to training and flexi working hours.

Cons

None that I can think of currently.

Advice to Management

None

"Long Hours with very little thanks"

Former Employee - Administrative in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Administrative in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sick pay in full after a period of time
    Private health scheme
    Employee interest free loan
    Good Friends made

Cons

I worked with the company 10+years and it was with a heavy heart i had to leave. Customers now have the NO 1 say on anything and can get you into serious trouble. Management not willing to back you up. One 30 minute tea break (which has been mentioned in other reviews) when working from 8am (sometimes even earlier if doing overtime) until 5.30pm and because of lack of staff practically having to beg someone to cover you just to get away. Management aren't interested in listening when you explain your having issues they just want you to get on with it with very little or no thanks. Not returning calls to customers or providing you with correct Information to try and help which results in a lot of unhappy calls/surveys.

Advice to Management

Employee staff where it's needed not to save money!
    Answer phone calls instead of ignoring customers!
    Listen to your employees instead of dismissing them

"Under £1 deducted form my final salary."

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

The digital product development department is really focused on making good products, that help their customers and working to make their own processes better, which is hard given the number of legacy systems.

There's a subsidised lunch available at head office, to help with the location and every employee there is given a monthly food allowance that can be used on site.

There are also an attractive number of staff discounts and benefits available.

Cons

On the face of it Arnold Clark seemed like a good place to work, however never in my career as an IT professional have I had to worry about being sick. In the first year all employees only qualify for statutory sick pay (which is poorly worded in the contract). I found this out the hard way and when I challenged the policy but was told that sales advisors had abused it in the past. In the end I was paid for the those days as a gesture of good faith, but feel that no employee should have to be treated like this.

The flexible working scheme is designed with the mindset that people will abuse it. Every member of staff needs to "clock in" and "clock out" with every minute is accounted for; I left a little early on my last day and a tiny balance was deducted from my final salary.

It's normal for half baked ideas with (often short) arbitrary deadlines to be thrown at development teams. Understanding the brief was regularly a chaotic experience and it was not uncommon for stakeholders to have conflicting views on the delivery. Then, when the work was completed, it was often put on hold for weeks and even months despite "hard deadlines".

Other things within the organisation moved very slow, and often it was who you knew in a team that made things happen rather than following the outlined processes.

The location of the head office is a challenge. Locally there are few alternatives for food, and there is no refrigerator, microwave or toaster for staff, narrowing those options.

Advice to Management

I think Arnold Clark try's to be a modern employer but needs to let go of some of it's old policies. On paper they look progressive but stand in their own way.

Rules within the organisation should not be dictated by the small few who have abused them in the past.

Ultimately I felt treated like a number rather than an individual who feels good about their job. Arnold Clark prides itself being on being a family run company, so treat your staff like you would treat your family.

"Want to work 60 hours a week and potentially not get paid?"

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Nice trips for product training

Cons

Long hours, no guaranteed pay for work, general public are the worst people in the planet, management won't take responsibility for the shortcomings of the business, the list goes on.

Advice to Management

Get your house in order, stop promoting salesmen to management postions because good salesmen make dreadful managers. Take responsibility for your decisions, the reason that some branches are making less and less is because you keep shoving more high-level managers in with exorbitant wages when we needed proper sales managers in the showroom. Focus on a global quality of experience by hiring more support staff like valeters etc, this will take the pressure off the salesmen so they don't have to micromanage each department, meaning they'll have more time to sell more cars.

17 Oct 2018

Hi – Lynne here. I was sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction in your current role at Arnold Clark. We would certainly expect you to be having a much more positive experience.

Regrettably, due to... More

8. "where else would you want to work?"

Current Employee - Product Genius in Huddersfield, England
    Current Employee - Product Genius in Huddersfield, England

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant atmosphere with colleagues at branches, brilliant training facilities, with benefits available for all employees. Plus job security guaranteed with the prospect of being able to move up the ladder is always a bonus.

Cons

Having to travel for training. But then again accommodation is paid for so it's not a massive con.

Advice to Management

Pay me more! LOL. No seriously..

12 Oct 2018

Hi - Lynne here! It’s fantastic to see yet another five star review. I’m delighted that we seem to be doing things right for you.

I was happy to learn that you have such a positive rapport with... More

9. "customer experience consultant"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Consultant in Chorley, England
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Consultant in Chorley, England

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

i manage my own diary and get to meet lots of new and interesting people

Cons

a lot of driving which can become tiring by Friday

12 Oct 2018

Thanks for your five-star review of working for Arnold Clark. It’s great to see how happy you are with us.

Meeting new and interesting people on a daily basis sounds great. The fact that your... More

10. "they dont care"

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

easy to get in if you want in to a job quick

Cons

badly treated staff. only care about sales

Advice to Management

they should take care of employees