Arnold Clark Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Arnold Clark Reviews

Updated 24 March 2019

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Average company benefits ie discount of cars, pension, private health care" (in 10 reviews)

• "The company is continuing to grow which means that job security is something no-one needs to worry about" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but passes quick as it's a busy day" (in 31 reviews)

• "Work life balance was a massive let down and the uncertain changes of shift patterns" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunities for Graduates!"

Current Employee - Graduate Placement in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Graduate Placement in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexi-time, Progression, Training & Development, Friendly Environment

Cons

Not experienced any so far.

20 Mar 2019

Hi! Thank you for taking time to get in touch. I’m glad it’s been a five-star experience!

As you mention in your list of pros, we have a lot of benefits including flexible working and progression... More

2. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Good staff
    Fantastic place to work
    Great environment

Cons

very rear opportunity available

20 Mar 2019

Hi! What a great review of your time with us. I’m delighted we’ve been able to help you through a difficult time.

It’s also fantastic that you seem to be enjoying the challenge of your new... More

3. "Rental Operator"

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Good company to work for with good benefits and bonuses. People who work there makes it worth staying - you do tend to make friends for life.

Cons

Working weekends and bank holidays!

Advice to Management

Management needs to appreciate people more for what they do and hours they do - working weekends and bank holidays!

4. "Excellent experience"

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Inverness, Scotland
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Inverness, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

General Manager and Sales Manager are good people and I worked well with them
    Company has high standards expected of both employees and cars
    Training is possibly the best in the industry
    Market leading position makes the salesperson's job easier

Cons

The new uniform looks awful - in my opinion - some people love it.

Advice to Management

My branch was run very well by the managers. I worked with a good bunch of salespeople and the rest of the departments were good also. I know people who work in other branches that are not able to say the same so I think the experience comes down to the individuals running the branch. My experience was positive so can only base it on that.

HR are keen to make sure it is a good place to work. They have meetings called think employee and think customer to improve for both staff and customers. I am pretty sure they will check this review and comment below with a comment relevant to what I have written. I would be surprised if they did not.

5 day week is good, I would have liked a weekend off once in a while though. Some branches seem to do this but others do not and salespeople are the only job that are expected to not have weekends off ever. I only know this because when at GTG you talk to others and find out what it is like to work in other branches. Some of my colleagues pointed out that 6 days was more lucrative and regretted changing to 5 day weeks but you cant have it all your own way I guess.

GTG training is fantastic. I do not know of any other dealer groups that offer this. Normally starting in a car dealership is 1. Here is your desk. 2. Here is your phone. 3. Sell cars.

At Arnold Clark you actually get trained to do your job correctly and in the way that the company want it done. If you do it the way they ask guess what.. you sell cars and they are happy with what you do. People that are not happy or get "fines" are like that because they think they know better than Arnold Clark - they don't.

My one and only complaint! = The old uniform was much more professional as bright blue with horrible logos on it just looks like the sort of thing a fast food worker would wear not a salesperson earning £35k plus trying to sell the second most expensive purchase a customer makes should be wearing. I hated it. A lot of car salespeople are proud of being successful and this often means a nice suit, nice shoes and taking pride in appearance. I think the new uniform does not inspire pride in appearance. Just bring back the nice Arnold Clark ties that everyone has seen for years and insist on black suit, black shoes, black socks and keep it smart!

Salesmans office is probably the best system any car dealership has in the world! I have worked in another large dealer group and a handover could involve 10+ signatures and take up to an hour. Arnold Clark have 1 signature done electronically and the paperwork can be minutes leaving more time to spend with the customer at the car rather than at a desk boring them to death with paperwork.

20 Mar 2019

Hi - Lynne here. What a fabulous review of your time working with us. I’m so glad you felt so positively about it.

You make so many lovely comments, it’s hard to pick one or two out! But we agree... More

5. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Winsford, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Winsford, North West England, England

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Arnold Clark now for around 8 months. I applied for the role as Product Consultant in July 2018 as the potential earnings intrigued me. I always knew it was going to be tough going into Car Sales, and I knew my working hours would increase but I have enjoyed every second of it. The companies uncapped commission has allowed me to earn over £50k pro rata, which is almost treble my previous job. I have set myself goals to progress within Arnold Clark into Management and beyond. I cannot thank Arnold Clark enough for helping me get through a difficult stumbling block in life. Like any job that pays well, stress can be the norm, but I enjoy encountering new challenges daily and the support from Management and Senior Management has made me want to work even harder day in day out.

Cons

I have not come across any. Some would say the hours are long but you get out what you put in.

12 Mar 2019

Hi, thank you for getting in touch with such an inspiring review. I’m delighted you’re enjoying working for Arnold Clark!

I was heartened by your comments about how we look after our staff, even... More

6. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillington, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillington, Scotland

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well looked after
    Great company to be a part of - family/team feel about the company
    Continually improving and growing - genuinely listens to employees and are wanting the company to be an employer of choice

Cons

I dont have anything bad to say at the moment

1 Mar 2019

Hi! Lynne here. What a fantastic review of your time working for Arnold Clark. I’m delighted things seem to be going so well!

You’ve pointed out that you’re enjoying both the pay, and your working... More

7. "Product consultant"

Current Employee - Product Consultant
    Current Employee - Product Consultant

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is what makes ac good to work for

Cons

Some old school managers,

20 Mar 2019

Hi! Thank you for your short and sweet review of your time as a product consultant. I’m glad things are going well!

You obviously have a close bond with your colleagues in the branch. Our family... More

8. "Product Genius"

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

Fast progression through levels 1-3 increasing salary by 2k p.a every level.
    Relatively stress free.
    Great perks.

Cons

Long hours makes work to live balance a bit difficult.
    Job title seen quite low withing the company hierarchy by other colleagues.

Advice to Management

More flexibility with hours/better work life balance.

12 Mar 2019

Hi, Lynne here. I’m really happy to hear that your time with us has been so positive.
    On that point, let’s talk about your list of pros. Progression and benefits are really important to us; and we... More

9. "Customers before staff"

Pros

Large company, constantly growing and expanding

Cons

For a company that strive to improve the customer experience they do very little to ensure employees are treated the same way. No sick pay unless you have been there for 2 years and even at that it’s only 5 days. This causes staff who are genuinely ill to have to force themselves into work as they need the money. Arnold Clark then offer mental health advice without even realising they are probably one of the main factors why staff are having issues as they are constantly pressured to come into work when they shouldn’t be there in order to keep themselves afloat. Women are only offered statutory maternity pay which is pennies, I have never known a company the size of Arnold Clark to show such little regard to their female staff and not offer any sort of paid maternity leave - what a joke!

Advice to Management

start looking at your workforce and how you can help them, discounts off cars and food doesn’t remove the fact of how poorly staff are treated.

10. "Braking The Law"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Elgin, Scotland
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Elgin, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Does offer a pretty decent benefits package and pay is over minimum wage.

Cons

No lunch brakes which is against the law when working longer than 8 hour shift, expected to work shifts alone.
    Being spied on constantly, big brother is always watching!!
    Gossip is terrible management telling other staff members personal business.
    Working hard and never feeling appreciated or getting what you are owed or entitled too.

Advice to Management

Treat staff better and maybe they will stay longer, 7 people in 2 years does look good in 1 job role that’s what I seen in my time just in my department in my branch!!