Arnold Clark Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Arnold Clark Reviews

Updated 20 Nov 2019

3.7
Pros
  • "The company is continuing to grow which means that job security is something no-one needs to worry about(in 21 reviews)

• "Company has high standards expected of both employees and cars(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours makes work to live balance a bit difficult(in 42 reviews)

• "Work life balance / senior management a problem(in 9 reviews)

1. "Best year to start off my HR career!"

Current Employee - People Advisor in Hillington, Scotland

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive Management Great benefits Autonomous working Outstanding training Progression opportunities Job stability Flexi-time scheme

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't enjoy about my role or working for Arnold Clark

Arnold Clark2019-11-20
  2. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Product Genius in Salford, North West England, England

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic people with great progression of you are willing to work for it.

Cons

No cons as I can see

Arnold Clark2019-10-30
  3. "Awful manager"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ayr, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None at all whatsoever nothing

Cons

Creepy manager Poor structure No leadership

Advice to Management

Quit

Arnold Clark2019-11-17
  4. "Service technician"

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time

Pros

experience, pay, good fun, not hard

Cons

cant go on holiday as much

Arnold Clark2019-10-27
  5. "Shocking"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None. If you care for your well being, bypass them

Cons

They say they care for their staff .. think again, their managers dont seem to follow what they proclaim

Advice to Management

Look after your staff, respect all of them and treat them as humans

Arnold Clark2019-11-15

"Do not work for HR department!!"

Former Employee - People Team in Glasgow, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for less than a year

Pros

A few good company benefits. That’s it really.

Cons

This HR department have had so much turnover lately and it’s all due to the Senior Advisors and Managers creating a catty and uncomfortable atmosphere. There is a clear divide between Assitants/Advisors and the seniors/managers. The worst and most uncomfortable job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Please sort out the culture in your HR department before more miserable people leave.

Arnold Clark2019-11-12

"The upper management couldn’t run a bath"

Former Employee - Mot Tester in York, England

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely zero. None. Nothing. All bad

Cons

Practically zero breaks. Option to use overtime as flexitime but can NEVER take the owed time off. As an mot tester you’re expected to complete pre sale inspections etc WHILST doing the mot. Job times are completely unrealistic. Sales and general managers expect the world but hold no understanding (or willingness to learn) the complexity of some tasks. Apprentices are mentored by UNQUALIFIED staff! Overtime is... requested last minute (at normal rate, so zero incentive) and management look down on you if you can’t do it. No money spent on manufacturer specific tools. They won’t even let the snap on van on site for goodness sake so buying tools is a chore. Parts department seems to be ran by stevie wonder, everything’s always wrong. Wrong oil knowingly put in many cars. Services carried out way below standards despite charging main dealer prices. Long days. Wage rise scheme (TIP review) is an absolute joke an is made pretty much impossible to achieve. No bonus scheme. Staff discounts are laughable. 30 minutes for lunch not enough.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Take criticism an act on it. Train your staff. Employ fully qualified dealer trained techs and treat them right.....yes that’s gonna mean paying decent money. Adjust the job times. For god sake stop wrapping the g271 job in with an mot coz you’re making it impossible to do do within your company set job times.....properly at least. If you’re not a technician keep out of the damn workshop!... Fix the toilet locks. Fix the effing retail diary (everyone knows it’s no accident those extra jobs get booked in, fact is you don’t care how much you overload the techs as long as you guys get your bonus)

Arnold Clark2019-11-08

"Five years driver, desk and supervisor worked below minimum wage - leaving was the best thing I done"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good line manager Easy work Stress free Very little accountability

Cons

Low salary Long hours Expectation to work over 7 days in a row at times Deceitful management and people department Extra duties will be added for no raise in salary Very easy to work below minim wage

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Think employee is a staple statement of the company - caring for staff. I witnessed bullying and even the odd threat direct or indirectly. Think employee appears only to apply to the entry level jobs. I left because my area manager let slip to the whole area about a health issue I had. The response from the people team (HR) were nothing but arrogant and deceitful. Set up fitness to work... assessments through axa days after my doctor issued a sick line. I refused these as the people team presented this as help but axa told me it was to tell my employee if I was fit to work or not - nothing else. The company are after one thing only which is money, if you have to take time to take care of yourself then there will be reprisals as I found out myself. After giving five years, working under minimum wage (company refuses to enter into discussion about this) and taking on responsibility that was not mine to take onI feel completely used. Waste of my time and ability. Underpaid and overworked with responsibility which far outweighed the pay packet. Wasted years.

Arnold Clark2019-11-03

"Arnold clark is a disgusting company to work for"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Salford, North West England, England

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

No pros this company is horrendous they allow bullying to take place on a large scale.

Cons

Iam sure this review won’t last long as Arnold clark will have it removed. This company is terrible and it’s a matter of time before it all comes out how badly the staff are treated. I worked at the Arnold clark branch in Salford the mechanics have to work in terrible conditions no tools no heating one sink for 15 + mechanics to wash hands . Only master techs get training long hours . The management make it very... hard for staff to have days off or take holidays. The work load is massive the whole business is geared up around a few sales people everyone else has to struggle through. High rate of bullying which is allowed to go on. Mechanics leaving wheels loose and mechanics using cars like race cars it’s completely uncontrollable.

Advice to Management

If Arnold clark is to keep staff for any length of time stop treating your staff so appallingly it’s not just the management that should be looked after all staff should be respected and treated fairly.

Arnold Clark2019-10-22
  10. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Arnold Clark

Pros

Opportunity to build a long term career , job security,flexible working and great understanding of work/life balance. Recognition for hard work.I’ve worked for AC for nearly 20 years and even thou when I stared the company was a lot smaller it still feels like working for a family business, that cares about their employees and listens to them.Highly recommend.

Cons

Sometimes the internal IT can not keep up with how busy we are, and make the job more challenging than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Improve IT systems to be more reliable mainly Aftersales Office

Arnold Clark2019-09-19