Ascend Public Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Oct 17, 2019

3.3
Ascend Public Charter Schools CEO Steven Wilson
Steven Wilson
Pros
  • "Responsive Classroom model is excellent and the school invests in a lot of training for it(in 8 reviews)

• "I think there may be good intentions in terms of providing students with a rich, liberal arts education(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is a challenge(in 14 reviews)

• "Long hours (7:20-4:20), though you will need to work beyond those to stay on top of everything(in 11 reviews)

"Know Thyself"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing, beautiful children. Amazing supportive wonderful hard-working colleagues. Beautiful new building. Excellent pay. A good growth environment for new or young teachers to get their feet wet.

Cons

No work/life balance. Contradictory regulations which create unsafe situations. Yes, this is a growing school but the dysfunction and constant new objectives coming at barely indoctrinated teachers left and right makes work harder than it needs to be. Failing equipment, unable to complete basic prep tasks in a timely manner. Brainwashing ideology which, though well-intentioned, does little to empower kids or reach... them on their level. Experienced educators will smell smoke two weeks into new hire training. Our kids deserve better than disorganization and empty promises. I had to provide books to my classroom library out of my own money just so kids had access to appropriate reading material. NO work life balance. Failing technology.

Advice to Management

Do NOT put two new hires together in the same classroom. Do NOT expect an entire staff of 60 teachers to equitably share two copy machines without multiple breakdowns. Do NOT change the script last minute. Do NOT prevent SPED teachers from accessing SESIS. It's part of our jobs as data collectors. Be realistic. Do not fluff us up and give us empty positive catch phrases. Know thyself, Ascend. Decide who you... are and who you need to be because as of now you are not sure and it is to the detriment of both students and teachers.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-10-18
  2. "Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Middle School Math Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Cool colleagues for the most part.

Cons

Cliques and favoritism with leadership team. Friends are promoted. Difference in expectations of teachers sometimes depending on race. Not much implementation based on teacher input.

Advice to Management

Same expectations need to be held around the board.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-08-14
  3. "Needs work"

Current Employee - Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the staff culture

Cons

Mangement No trajectory (Not everyone wants to be a DOO) Parking

Advice to Management

There is no I in TEAM.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-08-05
  4. "Neutral"

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools

Pros

Pockets of supportive, friendly team members.

Cons

Extremely disorganized, executives don't seem to care about people under them.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-08-01

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ascend has a very diverse staff

Cons

Everything else is horrible in this school.

Advice to Management

Ascend Charter School is the most disorganized charter school that I have ever been a part of. I am usually a huge fan of charter schools and how they are helping students, however this school does not know how to handle behavior difficulties or special services. The students who required extra support are not getting the support they need because support services is completely disorganized. The behavior is out of... control because there is absolutely no discipline so the students run the school. On top of that, the heads of the schools are completely absent for daily life for both the students and teachers. Network has no idea what is going on because they have blinders on when they come observe the school. Students who have behavior difficulties need to have support instead, because their difficulties are not being addressed, you have students throwing chairs and having outbursts every single day.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-06-27
  6. "School specific experiences"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay. Great students. Family environment.

Cons

Some positions aren’t valued.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-06-06

"I love Ascend"

Current Employee - Community Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

- flexible schedule - excellent communication - transparency between management and associates - recognition even for the smallest things - encouraging environment

Cons

honestly have not discovered any as of yet

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-05-02

"Amazing Schools"

Pros

TONS of support at the school and network level Behavior systems are developmentally appropriate Positive adult culture Every teacher's direct supervisor is a subject matter expert

Cons

Long hours -- work/life balance can be a struggle

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-05-03

"A great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - 6th Grade ELA Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very supportive Administration - Commitment to professional excellence and improvement

Cons

- Little room to grow - Favoritism

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-04-30

"Ascend is a great place to work, grow, and be the change"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brownsville, NY

Pros

I love working at Ascend! I have been there three years. They supported me getting my special education extension. Responsive classroom and restorative justice Rigorous curriculum Parent involvement Helpful and supportive deans, culture office makes Ascend safe, fun, and culturally relevant! Everyone at Ascend gives 100% Warm professional learning environment Competitive pay

Cons

Can be a long day!

Ascend Public Charter Schools2019-04-26