Ascend Public Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Ascend Public Charter Schools Interim CEO Lisa Margosian
Lisa Margosian
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Responsive Classroom model is excellent and the school invests in a lot of training for it(in 10 reviews)

• "Big Black Man who could control the scholars(in 9 reviews)

1. "Ascend Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff to work with. Community relations is strong. Ascend does not share buildings with another school. Most Ascend schools have a parking lot. Wellness Fridays

Cons

Long hours roughly 8-9 work days

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-04-02
  2. "In service for children"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Ascend program is excellent at preparing scholars with the skills they need to succeed in college.

Cons

Not really a con,but I wish there was more interest in extra curricular activities such as the arts and sports.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-06
  3. "Good Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Ascend Public Charter Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Competitive pay + benefits, particularly for school operations. -High staff retention + healthy student waitlists -General feeling of camaraderie -Good work-life balance -- this is the first school operations team I've been on where folks are able to leave on time because they get most of their work done within school hours. -Passionate colleagues across all levels -Strong coaching/development opportunities (many internal and external PDs offered) -The network is responsive to feedback -Heavy commitment to becoming a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive community

Cons

-As is common with most NYC charter schools, the hours are long (9 hours). However, most people are able to get their work done during the school day and, therefore, most leave on time which is a testament to how efficiently run schools are. -Stronger operations onboarding needs to be built out; more experienced school operations professionals will thrive here.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-04
  4. "GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Food Service Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Great work life balance ,GREAT co-workers

Cons

I HAVE NO CONS ABOUT ASCEND

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-04
  5. "My Story, A Story Worth Telling"

Current Employee - Dean of Students in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

I have been in education for over 14 years and I am so elated that I have become a part of Ascend. Prior to coming to Ascend I worked for a network that did not see greater in me nor opened a pathway for me to grow as an educator. As a Dean of Students in my prior network I overheard being referred to as the “Big Black Man who could control the scholars”. After hearing this statement, I was devastated and I knew from that point that there would be no opportunities for me to grow. I also knew that this was not the place I wanted to be. After receiving an offer to become apart of the Ascend family, I became hesitant and nervous wondering if I would be viewed as the “Big Black Man”. Well let me tell you my dear reader, I was in culture shock! I found myself in place surrounded by leaders/educators that saw greatness in me and made sure that I knew my worth by encouraging me to push to the next level. Since I have become apart of Ascend I have been intellectually stimulated to create new ideas, adapt concepts and grow from live coaching. My SD and MD consistently pushes me to think outside of the box for the sake of my own growth. After joining Ascend I realized our missions aligned and we shared a common goal which is to close the achievement gap and fight against the disparities that exist in education for our black and Hispanic children. Listen, I can go on and on but the best thing I could have ever done was signed my name to become apart of one of the best networks in NYC. So, I sign off by saying thank you for reading my story, a story worth telling.

Cons

I have no downsides at this time. I live by a motto that says "Its what you make it".

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-03
  6. "Putting Children and Education First"

Current Employee - Culture Associate in Ozone Park, NY

Pros

The reason I take pride working at Ascend is because we take pride in putting scholars first and creating a learning environment that allows them to feel ownership of their classroom.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Ascend.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-03
  7. "Ascend- A great Place to work at"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

- My team is amazing and we work really well together; everyone has integrity, respect, and accountability to one another - I’m excited to see students and come to work - The responsive classroom model - Collegiality in my school team

Cons

I would appreciate more time and opportunities to collaborate with and learn from other schools in the network

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-03
  8. "Open Minded Liberal Arts Education"

Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

There is a ton of support but more importantly, you can fasten lessons to your liking and teaching style. I love the amount of autonomy you are given to teach the amazing young scholars I'm in front of!

Cons

Would like to see a little more attention paid to Paid Time Off as the amount of work we do can be a bit much. Nevertheless, that is the only thing I can say.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-02
  9. "Tries to support teachers as much as possible"

Current Employee - ELA Teacher

Pros

Ascend is unique in that leadership within schools and throughout the network are genuinely interested in teacher feedback. It is easy for me to reach out to curriculum creators and school managers with questions or concerns, and I generally hear back from them within 24 hours. The school's focus on responsive classroom can help teachers to foster strong relationships with kids.

Cons

As a teacher, the workload can be exhausting, but schools strive to create a team sentiment where everyone is supported and responsibilities are equitable.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-03-09
  10. "Good culture, good salary"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Overall culture depends on your school campus, but the network invests in its staff with good PDs and value feedback greatly. School culture at our campus is strong, and leadership listens to teachers. Decent benefits, good starting salaries and opportunities to grow

Cons

Could value more personal care/time off and self care for teachers. Charter school burnout is a really problem and turnover is high, which impacts student behavior—but this isn’t new in charter schools. Very long work days for students and teachers.

Ascend Public Charter Schools2020-02-19