AspenTech "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

AspenTech Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jun 24, 2019

3.1
AspenTech CEO Antonio Pietri
Antonio Pietri
Pros
  • "Some good benefits, some not so good(in 18 reviews)

• "Good Environment, good people to help and consult you(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also work from home is not an official company policy (though most managers are okay with it), so there aren't great resources in place to accommodate(in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management doesn't listen to staff and this is noted in every quarterly call(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company - Tough to get career promotions"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great location and good onsite amenities. Some really great people who work in the office and they really make the job worth it. Reasonably wages but good package offered.

Cons

Management has no idea. Too many technical managers with no actual technical experience. Upper management doesn't listen to staff and this is noted in every quarterly call. Pay raises are minimal (less than a living wage) Promotions are non-existent with them employing new people rather than training existing employees. Even then - existing employees are expected to train seniors new in the door (without the... appropriate experience) The company promtes a no working from home attitude which is crazy in this day and age however management work from home reguarly.

Advice to Management

Invest your time and money in existing staff - not just turf them out. Learn to teach your technical managers actual technical skills.. it's embarrassing for seniors to not know how basic computing works.

AspenTech2018-10-26

"Thank you AspenTech!"

Permanent in Reading, England

I have been working at AspenTech

Pros

Descent package including great health insurance

Cons

No career progression (unless you are with the gods...) Fear policy and blaming culture Upper Management clearly ignoring employees red flags and creative ideas, "if you don't like it, there is the door" attitude (Fusco) Deep down growing general demotivation Very heavy atmosphere 90% of the employees I know are active on the job market . The Leakage the previous person mentioned has started. Numbers talk.... Good luck to you all.

Advice to Management

AspenTech won't care.

AspenTech2011-08-16

"Opportunities for those in the spotlight... if strict company policies allow"

I worked at AspenTech full-time

Pros

Good collaboration with colleagues and generally good first and second line management. Strong consolidated products with a lot of users.

Cons

Strict HR policies that do not consider the individual. Upper management does not care much about employees: anyone can be easily replaced by somebody else. Very difficult to get promotions, even more difficult to get salary increases.

Advice to Management

Consider and appreciate more all your employees rather than just saying you do.

AspenTech2019-06-24

"Poor upper management"

Former Employee - Manager in Bedford, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None to speak about or can think of

Cons

childish, selfish upper management team, low pay, long hours

Advice to Management

Grow up and consider others once in awhile

AspenTech2019-06-01

"Inside sale account manager"

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture is great. Everyone at Aspen are really good people. Average Benefits. Not the best. Not the worst. Frequent company "AspenFUN" days.

Cons

The company as a whole is very disorganized. Promotions are minimum. The Inside Sales team is less than 10 years old so they're still trying to figure things out. Every 6 months or so the upper management changes the sales structure. You get hired for one job and then are told you have to do something completely different. The Commission is not paid out for 3 months and this is only if the customer pays. So you... can close a deal get "credit" for it but not paid. Upper Management treats their employees like children. Work/life balance is minimal. You can't officially work from home, it's really up to your management and what your role is.

Advice to Management

University hire program is great but if you want your employees to feel valued. Treat and talk to them like adults. Just because someone is young does not mean they do not deserve to be treated as an equal.

AspenTech2017-08-30

"It's not for everybody."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

New updated facility location with nice amenities and close proximity to route 3 and 95. Pretty good benefit package and vacation time allotment (but good luck getting the time approved). Mandatory quarterly finance meetings allow those in the finance department to escape the tiny new cubes for a couple hours.

Cons

Dictatorship mentality. Upper management does not trust their employees to work from home. Be prepared to take a vacation day if you can't make it into work in 2+ feet of snow. Lack of growth opportunity. You legitimately have to be performing the position for over a year to even be considered for a promotion or raise (which sometimes can be even longer because apparently they only offer promotions once a year).... From my experience, I felt forced into working later than necessary hours so that the whole team finished tasks "together". Better performing employees are punished due to the lack of experience and work ethic of others within their groups. The new assistant controller is difficult to speak to and work with. "Their way or the highway mentality." Not afraid to call you out and embarrass you in a room full of people like being reprimanded in high school. If you want to grow within an organization and express your ideas in making a team better or more successful don't bother with this company.

Advice to Management

Stop restricting your employees from growing with vintage ideas. Stop trying to just "fill rolls" and focus on employing people who want to make a difference in not just the company but coworkers lives as well. Work/home life balance goes a long way. Treating your good hardworking employees like lepers when they give their two weeks notice is going to result in negative feedback. Maybe extending advice and well... wishes will result in better employer reviews and in turn a better pool of people to hire.

AspenTech2015-09-17

"Hostile work environment where dreams go to die"

Instructional Designer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech

Pros

Compensation is good for people early on in their careers. Depending upon the department you are in, you may get the opportunity to travel which is a great perk. If you are mid-way in your career and want minimal accountability but benefits (health insurance, dental, tuition reimbursement, etc.) and job security then this place is for you.

Cons

I am extremely disappointed with the company and the my overall experience at Aspen. Overall, company morale is extremely low. I can appreciate the new "We Are AspenTech" campaign to encourage company pride. However, in order for true improvements to take place, upper management needs to be replaced or at least the current management style needs to be revised. There is a "because this is the way we've always done... it" mentality - the company is hesitant to change and lacks innovation. Management also micromanages every aspect of employees day to day activities. The department that you work in very much decides your experience at AspenTech. Unfortunately, the one I was in was horrible. Overall, there was constant conflict going on within my team which led to a hostile work environment. HR is very aware of the situations going on between their employees but does nothing to mediate the situations (which leads me to think that they truly do not care about their employees). There is a lack of flexibility - we've had several snow storms this winter where the state roads have been shut down or a state of emergency has been declared while the office stays open. Employees who decided to stay safe and off the roads were forced to use a personal or vacation day. This is an unacceptable policy and reinforces the fact that the company doesn't care about their employees safety. Once within the company there is minimal growth that takes place. The company is so large and constantly trying to keep up on releases and software updates that it seems like everyone is on a hamster wheel constantly chasing their tails. There is tons of work and there is not enough workers to get everythjng done. This is leading to have low morale and being overworked. After my experience, I consider AspenTech a place where "dreams go to die". Many of the workers are in their 40s and 50s and hate their jobs but stay to support their family or because they have no other options. I wouldn't wish AspenTech on my worse enemy. There is a reason they have such poor reviews on Glassdoor. Heed the warnings you see here and stay far away.

Advice to Management

Trust, support, and encourage your employees. Get rid of workers who are wasting space and producing a negative environment for others. Be open to innovation and new ways of doing things. Strive to maintain a professional work environment and do something to alleviate conflict between teams instead of letting screaming matches take place within the office.

AspenTech2015-02-25
  8. "Not too bad, especially for a college grad"

I worked at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

As much work as you make it.

Cons

Upper management tends to get a little too involved in day to day activities and it can bog things down.

Advice to Management

read cons

AspenTech2014-03-18

"Definitly NOT the right place for everyone"

I worked at AspenTech full-time

Pros

Decent salary range and benefits

Cons

As with many people in the company, I was told over and over again that Aspen was not the right place for everyone. I certainly thought it would be a good fit for me, but I really should have listened. I was shocked at how distant and unapproachable upper management was and how uncooperative most departments were. Collaboration between other departments was non-existant and almost hostile at times. I came to... the conclusion that my ego was not big enough to fit in at Aspen. I would recommend you look elsewhere. Aspen will most likely NOT be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

I will reiterate what another poster said... there is nothing I could say to upper managment that would make any difference. They will not listen.

AspenTech2013-11-12

"Run away as fast as you can!"

Current Employee - Director in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good colleagues, good location, free parking. Good benefits package - which is very surprising. (Don't get sick or hurt though - company will penalize for that)

Cons

No room for advancement, very poor morale, upper management never interacts with anyone lower than vp level. When things go wrong lots of finger pointing and no recognition for successes. Threats and fear are used to motivate.

Advice to Management

Karma - it happens

AspenTech2013-10-06