Aspirant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Rick Newton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A once promising company, now sadly deteriorated"

I worked at Aspirant full-time

Pros

I sadly can no longer find reasons to recommend Aspirant as an employer, other than the fact that decision making and management is so poor that you may often find yourself with little work to do, therefore from a work-life balance perspective, work does not often constitute a large part of the job.

Cons

Aspirant was once a promising disruptive management consultancy under the leadership of their former CEO. However, following a management restructure in July 2017, the outlook and strategy changed significantly. The US business pipeline stagnated and waned, while the UK business entirely dried up. In fact, the entire UK team resigned in response to poor leadership. Culturally, the organization suffers from toxic relationships, favouritism, bullying, and lack of transparency. Hiring decisions were strategically questionable, and decision-making became astonishingly poor for a company that professes the ability to advise other companies on how they should be run. It was hugely disappointing to see such an exciting company with an inspiring leader take such a downturn. For these reasons, I decided to leave. I was recently made aware that the company is continuing to hire, and therefore felt compelled to write a more recent review to reveal the current situation. From conversations with colleagues who have more recently left, I understand that the situation continues to worsen, as financial issues grow and numerous redundancies are made. I am frankly shocked that the company continues to advertise roles under the circumstances.

Advice to Management

I would advise leadership that those who are more concerned with having their job than doing their job will never go far.

Aspirant Response

18 May 2018 – Senior Internal Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that our leadership did not meet your expectations as we responded to the changing market. I am thankful, though, that you took the... More

2. "Rudderless ship run by an insecure captain"

I worked at Aspirant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This used to be such a great place to work but those are memories now.
    They make an effort to employ women in more senior roles (not the most senior role yet)
    Work / life balance is reasonable

Cons

The leadership that took over a year ago steered this company back into the iceberg from which the previous leadership was steering away.
    Accounts that used to be cash cows accounts dried up with no real plan to restore those sales.
    The ranking executive will talk poorly of one employee only to pull that employee in later to talk poorly of another employee. Always made for interesting trips into the office.

Advice to Management

Best of luck righting the ship.

3. "Do not work here!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Aspirant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately can’t think of any

Cons

Horrendous leadership and culture; lacks the vision, intelligence, and camaraderie to succeed

Advice to Management

Too little, too late

Aspirant Response

9 Jul 2018 – Senior Internal Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that our leadership did not meet your expectations. I am thankful, though, that you took the time to share your opinion so that I and... More

4. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Aspirant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, dedicated, and ethical employees. Strong values. Good work life balance. Opportunity to work with a variety of industries. Usually limited travel for most positions.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a small company that is expanding. Need for more cross-team communication. Need for dedicated business development employees.

5. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

I have been with Newton for a little over a year and have never valued a company more! Newton Consulting was founded on values and the company is truly operated on those values. Newton has a great culture, a truly supportive environment, great work/life balance, and endless opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Currently I do not have a negative thing to say about Newton.

Advice to Management

Keep plugging away and doing what you are doing! Newton will continue to thrive!

6. "Great Culture and Strong Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Aspirant full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has strong leadership who lives by his core values and listens to the organization; excellent talent in the organization; great work life balance;

Cons

Pipeline development and new business development need to be beefed up; Practice Leaders are running very lean and often must deliver billable work while leading their teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; don't lose sight of the business development challenge; and make sure you achieve the work life balance that you provide to your team.

7. "Comany that lives values."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Aspirant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company that stands behind their values.

Cons

None that I can think of.

8. "Exceptional Place to Work"

Pros

Newton promotes empowerment and provides you with the resources necessary to build your own path and pursue your areas of passion. Access to all levels of the organization, regardless of role. Great work/life balance. Highly recommend.

Cons

Limited benefits aside from healthcare (great healthcare package)

9. "Sourcing Recruiter"

I worked at Aspirant full-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

They do not have client exclusivity. Newton gave recruiters job orders that had been worked by other agencies for months! The ATS was not updated and highly labor intensive which left us less time to recruit. Management was micro-managing and have so many requirements out with little or no feedback or follow up to our questions.

Advice to Management

Focus on other areas of the business!

10. "Working at Newton Consulting"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Advisor in Washington, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Advisor in Washington, PA (US)

I have been working at Aspirant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, fantastic colleagues, great opportunities, stand true to their values.

Cons

At times working remotely can get boring, but it is also nice to be able to my job from my home.