AstraZeneca Reviews in Macclesfield, England | Glassdoor.co.uk

AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • strict - work/life balance - stress (in 42 reviews)

• pipeline, senior management, constant change (in 27 reviews)

1. "Extremely friendly environment to work in"

Former Intern - Undergraduate Summer Placement in Macclesfield, England
    Former Intern - Undergraduate Summer Placement in Macclesfield, England

I worked at AstraZeneca as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful friendly colleagues to work with.
    Great company values.
    Experts in all fields available for consultation.
    Opportunities for advancement.
    Health and safety awareness.

Cons

Remote location (relative to London).
    Can have issues accessing analytical instruments.
    Dated data acquisition software.

Advice to Management

Invest in modern data acquisition software.

2. "Great while it lasted"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Macclesfield, England
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Macclesfield, England

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, well paid, excellent benefits and working facilities. There were opportunities for development and the interest in working for a global company. They keep you up to date on the company's developments. Contractors treated as well as employed staff (minus benefits).

Cons

The constant restructuring and moving/off shoring most of the Cheshire business. Never feel secure in your role and decisions are never justified. The pursuit of cost savings over quality and wisdom of current employees.

Advice to Management

Listen and address employees' concerns - don't avoid the questions like politicians. It's really too late to offer advice as you've lost most of your best employees through pointless restructuring.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Contractor in Macclesfield, England
    Former Employee - Contractor in Macclesfield, England

Pros

The company makes a great effort to engage employees and invest in making it a great place to work. There is a determined focus on following the science to develop new life changing medicines and to put patients first.

Cons

There is a lot of change and restructuring with a drive to save money by moving jobs to lower cost parts of the world eg India, Eastern Europe, Far East. Increased job opportunities in those locations are offset by job losses in the more traditional locations where the company has operated, It's sad but inevitable.

Advice to Management

Maintain honest and timely communication on the vision for the future of the company to enable employees adversely affected to manage the change.

5. "A great place to work"

Former Intern - Engineering Assistant in Macclesfield, England
    Former Intern - Engineering Assistant in Macclesfield, England

I worked at AstraZeneca as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The staff are friendly and helpful. Work is challenging at times but very rewarding. Every project you work on is a way of helping people who otherwise would live with terrible disease/illness. Flexible working hours

Cons

Sometimes projects demand more of your time than the usual 8 hour day and youbmay he expected to work late, however you can then take off a few hours im the following days to ensure no more than 40 hours are worked per week (on average).

Advice to Management

Keep hiring university students as this is a positive way to increase employability of people who will have an understanding of how the company operates

6. "Great employer, but hard to move up"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Macclesfield, England

Pros

Collaborative working environment, good energy in the company to succeed, lots of interesting science happening with the goal to provide innovative new medicines. Prior to joining the company I viewed such large pharma companies and faceless and impersonal, however this has not been my experience of AstraZeneca. There is good communication of clinical studies and success stories with patients back to those that are developing the medicines, which is really nice to see as a chemist working on API manufacture. There is a rather flat management structure and this works well to be connected to managers a couple of levels above your grade

Cons

Due to the flat management structure there is a downside that it can feel like your career is not progressing, I'm a senior scientist and have worked for the company for 2 years, I have a further 4 years industrial experience prior to my work here and a PhD under my belt, I think it will be another 4-6 years before I can see myself being promoted, with small pay rises this does mean I do keep an eye on the job market to see if I could get better pay elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Give a stepping stone between senior scientist and APS/Team leader, etc so that it feels more achievable to move up

7. "Process Leader"

Current Employee - Process Leader in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Process Leader in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at AstraZeneca (More than a year)

Pros

There are great development opportunities for individuals and opportunities for career progression. There is also a lot of investment ongoing in Macclesfield site that shows there is a great future ahead.

Cons

It is a challenging environment in the manufacturing area that can be stressful or quite demanding at times.

Advice to Management

Maintain the good communication with the employees and good work with assuring investment for the Site.

8. "Brilliant company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Macclesfield, England
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Macclesfield, England

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of scope for progress up career ladder. Opportunities to handle projects and business as usual. Great, committed people and good culture.

Cons

Working in an environment of constant transformation & change, year in / year out, you have to adapt to this or fail!
    Going through even more change now, involving geographic moves of people.
    Lots & lots of change, all happening at same time - difficulty in seeing th bigger picture

Advice to Management

Need to prioritise what needs to be done today and what can wait until tomorrow.

9. "Astrazeneca"

Current Employee - International Distribution Coordinator in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at AstraZeneca part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work flexibly, good rewards package, plenty of opportunities to develop and progress

Cons

Constant change, lots of 'near-shoring' and 'off-shoring'
    It's not the astrazeneca way to admit when projects don't work - lack of ability to recognise and acknowledge mistakes

Advice to Management

When implementing projects that will affect people, make sure you consult with the right people.

"Insane workload"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very delivery oriented which is good.

Cons

Double IT delivery for half cost, the strain and pressure is unbelievable. Unforgiving leaders. Makes life miserable, impacts sleep, impacts family. Unrelenting. 60-80 hour works are punishing.

Advice to Management

The current pace of delivery is unsustainable, what will break is the people trying to deliver.

11. "QC analyst"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Macclesfield, England
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Macclesfield, England

I worked at AstraZeneca (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice company to work for, people are all hard working and genuinely lovely.
    Had a really nice manager too which always helps, as far as I know all of the managers are level people and really nice. Was given a lot of stuff to do, and was trained on everything properly and fully so I felt comfortable with my role. The hours are also really flexible, which is nice you can start at 7 and finish at 3 or start at 10 and finish at 6 if you wish.

Cons

Not really any cons, pay is never going to be great as an intern but it more generous that a lot of companies i've seen for an intern.

Showing 34 of 1,397 reviews