AstraZeneca Reviews in West Chester, OH | Glassdoor.co.uk

AstraZeneca Executive Director, CEO Pascal Soriot
Pascal Soriot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work / Life balance is loaded specially if you intend to develop fast in your career (in 40 reviews)

• pipeline, senior management, constant change (in 27 reviews)

1. "Aseptic fill operator"

Current Employee - Aseptic Fill Technician in West Chester, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Aseptic Fill Technician in West Chester, OH (US)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. 12 hour shifts. 2days work,off 2 days the work 3 days. Reverse the next week.

Cons

Training and communication on off shifts

2. "AZ"

Former Employee - Filler Operator in West Chester, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Filler Operator in West Chester, OH (US)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AZ Perks, offer medical, life and dental. Co-workers are great. Bonus.

Cons

Lack of training, management has their favorites. They will tell you one thing and do another.

Advice to Management

Train your staff instead of having them read an SOP and figure it out.

"Is getting worse"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in West Chester, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in West Chester, OH (US)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time

Pros

i can't think of anything

Cons

Too many changes. Disorganize priorities changes a lot. Reorgs,,,,,

Advice to Management

Quit

5. "AstraZeneca"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH (US)

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, good benefits, growing product pipeline.

Cons

Going through lots of change.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

"Packaging operations"

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Packaging Technician in West Chester, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Packaging Technician in West Chester, OH (US)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best employer I have ever had the pleasure of working for. They were always keeping me busy or I could go to the training room to learn more pharmaceutical industry

Cons

Downsizing, I hate it when it happens and I would like to be rehired

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't forget about old friends

7. "Good job right after college"

Former Employee - QC Microbiology Technician in West Chester, OH (US)
    Former Employee - QC Microbiology Technician in West Chester, OH (US)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with in the production area. Decent pay and benefits. A lot of vacation time.

Cons

HUGE disconnect between administrative positions and production positions. Long hours (12.5 hour shifts) in our department you didn't always get the vacation you requested and due to being understaffed, there was always a need to pick up other shifts which meant even more hours. I rarely had a pay period (bi-weekly) that I didn't get over 100 hours. Not enough promotions or chances for movement outside of the department. If you work night shift and want to move to days, good luck. Very much a popularity contest.

Advice to Management

Promote those that have put in the time and effort. Move people to a shift when there is a spot instead of hiring someone. Increase the pay based on education, no reason a position that requires a Bachelor's should be getting paid less than a position with the same amount of required experience that doesn't have a degree.

8. "Great benefits - Poor Organization"

I have been working at AstraZeneca full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are difficult to match. The facility is beautiful and kept very clean. Cafeteria on site has delicious food at a very low price.

Cons

3-3-2 schedule is terrible. The plant management seems to be not in touch with the realities of the production floor. The managers in charge of production are rememants from startup and are not able to manage operations. The agency they use to hire is terrible.

Advice to Management

Current employee of the West Chester site.

Inventory the skills of all employees vs the positions they are in. Develop a real technical training program for operators and technicians. The current duty based training is a joke and is costing your company a lot of money. There are also a lot of delays created by lack of support. The DCP product I imagine is very important to the bottom line. Hire more people to close the gap in coverage.

Performance incentive bonuses have resulted in an environment where people are afraid to make a mistake due to prior mismanagement of a mistake. Then the support engineers showing up to the facility drunk is disgusting. The talent on the floor are world class.
    Survey your employees.
    Get more training and promote people willing to get the job done.
    Change the bonus schedule. Maybe quarterly or get rid of it and increase pay.

"Difficult work environment- AstraZeneca West Chester, OH"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in West Chester, OH (US)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in West Chester, OH (US)

I worked at AstraZeneca as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice, clean, modern facility with a great on-site café/grille. Many good people work there who genuinely care about the consumers of the diabetes medication that is produced there. The facility is large, with plenty of room to grow. The office areas have hydraulic desks which can be raised and lowered for maximum comfort while working. The plant is only a few years old and is maintained in an excellent fashion. The technology in use there is cutting edge and is very impressive.

Cons

Very little communication from departmental directors to their subordinates. I was there for over two years in a temporary position. The departmental director that I reported to seldom, if ever, spoke to me, nor did this person ever show (to me) any interest in the work that I performed. When it was necessary for me to speak to this person, I was treated like an interruption and a nuisance. I was eventually let go and my responsibilities were given to a full-time employee who was already working 45-50 hours a week. The department that I was a part of was very over-worked and very under-staffed, yet temporary workers like me were being let go because the departmental director did not want us on the budget any longer. Apparently, there was no thought given to the work load of the employees who were forced to do their own job and to take on another person's job. After being there as long as I was, I feel qualified to say that this facility is poorly managed from middle management downward, with few exceptions. I did all that they asked me for over two years- I was trying to prove myself and show my loyalty to them, but that did not matter to the decision-makers.

Advice to Management

The on-site Operations Director is a great guy and I have no issue with him in any way. The Departmental Directors need to communicate with and listen to those who report to them- listen to their concerns and take time to learn (from them) what they do and why it matters. Hire the ones that are there and doing the work instead of letting them go and forcing other people to take on more responsibilities when they are already overworked.

"Unstable work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous in West Chester, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in West Chester, OH (US)

I worked at AstraZeneca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and not much else.

Cons

Poor management practices and lack of communication. Management is closed doors and little communication allowed for employee issues. Things get pushed back and you fear your job security. Trusting your coworkers looks to be questionable here.

Advice to Management

Communicate issues better with workers on the lower end of the chain.

Showing 9 of 1,394 reviews