Audley Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.2
Audley Travel CEO Ian Simkins
Ian Simkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent FAM trips and educationals (in 21 reviews)

• Audley are kind enough to provide free fruit, juices, smoothies, porridge etc (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours at times, but usually results in more bookings which means more commission (in 13 reviews)

• Like some others have mentioned, the demand of a sale jobs can sometimes bring work-life balance into question (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Innovative company to work for"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great office and ever-changing environment. Always seeking to improve and provide great experiences for clients. Listen to feedback from employees, and genuinely cares about their wellbeing. Great team of people working here.

Cons

As in any sales company, there will be periods of high demand and longer hours, this goes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Look at the maternity/paternity policy. Great recent advancement in more flexible working - keep being open to new possibilities!

2. "Supportive and progressive"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent management who will constructively improve how you work, everyone is keen to support each other and perform well.
    Also has a great healthy mindset, encouraging breaks, taking time away from desk, regular catch-ups to ensure you're happy and have everything you need. Healthy body outlook too, with complimentary use of gym, classes, as well as offering fruit and juices to get your 5 a day.

Cons

Long working hours at times, but the more you stay the better you perform - although I've never been actively encouraged to stay late by a manager!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing with keeping the staff at the centre - happy staff, happy clients, happy investors!

3. "Once great, now a bottom line sinking ship"

Former Employee - Country Specialist
    Former Employee - Country Specialist

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and FAM trips

Cons

Shocking micro management.
    Manipulative and patronising management.
    Ridiculous damage to work life balance
    Trading off their old image of being people focused, that's not longer true. Since PE came onboard it's all sell sell sell and the quality and their rep is going down the pan. There are far better employers out there these days

Its sad to see a former great losing people in droves. People like myself tried to make them listen but were met with the usual closed door "we dont do it like that"

Advice to Management

Drop the arrogance and listen to your staff.

"Fantastic company to work with"

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I no longer work at Audley but and am saddened to see some poor reviews go on here. It is a job and Audley are a business, therefore you need to be successful in order to progress, however, Audley will listen to you and do everything within their means to set you up for success. For Country Specialists this means a month on a once in a lifetime style trip before you've even sat down at your desk, for non-sales it means the opportunity to do extra training, take qualifications to support your role and ultimately become a specialist in your field.

Cons

Hardly a con but the pressure is high - Audley are growing so only work for them if you want to be challenged and pushed, it's not an easy ride but the rewards are there.

Advice to Management

Think about the long term as well as the short term successes, nurture your employees and they will repay you.

"Hard to beat!"

Current Employee - Country Sales Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Country Sales Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, great management support and so many perks! They always pull out all of the stops for our summer and winter parties, not to mention subsidised gym membership, free fruit and smoothies along with surprise perks throughout the year - cupcakes and pimms always goes down swimmingly.

Unlike any other company I've worked for before, they actually listen to what employees are saying and action feedback. Very forward thinking and highly client orientated.

Cons

Underpaid, but this is currently being reviewed. Sometimes have very quiet periods and this can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Quarterly targets should be representative of time spent in the office. We love our fams but then there is the worry of missing out on a promotion due to time out of the office. You've provided us with extra holiday allowance which is great, in order to improve work life balance but many would be reluctant to take this as hitting our quarterly targets is what we rely on most to make money.

7. "A travel company that is growing fast."

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment, Witney is a beautiful location to work and there are plenty of perks that make the days enjoyable. There are generous rewards for the successful, I earn well in excess of 40K each year. Great familiarisation trips to your own specialist country.

Cons

New starter turnover has been too high. The company has reacted to this by vastly improving their training for new starters to give everyone a great chance of success.

Not everyone works long hours, there are those who are successful and can fit their work into the standard working day, this does require a high level of focus and keen organisational skills. For some, long hours are required to keep up with the workload.

There is an issue with progression. For most successful sales people it is a pay cut to move into management. This is something that the company is looking at and I hope that managers pay is increased.

Advice to Management

As the company grows it must be careful to keep balance and not neglect what made it successful to begin with. Don't paper over the cracks.

8. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Audley is a fantastic place to work in an exciting industry. All three offices are beautiful, there are many opportunities to get involved in things outside of your role and creativity is encouraged. Everyone has the chance to travel not just sales specialists, and they have announced that their aim is for every member of staff to travel every 18 months.

Pay is good and being reviewed to make sure everyone is getting a fair deal. There are annual pay reviews (although from my knowledge these are always relatively small).

When I joined the company over two years ago the working hours were 9-6 with 20 days annual leave. Off the back of the annual staff survey this was changed to 9-5:30 Mon - Thur and 9- 5 on Fridays. Annual leave has also been increased to 25 days + birthdays off.

Monthly town hall meetings where senior management communicate business updates to everyone and answer annonymous Q&As.

Cons

With such a huge focus on retention, it can often appear that promotions are handed out to people who have 'done the time'. Rather than based on their ability to deliver. This can lead to frustrations within the team.

The Witney office is based in an incredibly expensive area, the surrounding towns and cities like Cheltenham and Oxford are also really expensive. Rent in Witney is a minimum of £700 + Bills - and that would not even get you a modern apartment. Make sure you negotiate a comfortable salary before you start as it is actually almost on par with London in terms of cost of living.

Advice to Management

Make the conversation around promotions and pay reviews a lot clearer. Many of your employees go above and beyond regularly but would rather an increase to their salary or bonus than a weekend away in Europe with colleagues (Top Performers).

Many newer employees (including myself) feel like Audley offers so much and would want to stay long-term but feel the need to jump to another company for the salary and title for a few years and then return in order to progress.

"What more could you ask for!?"

Current Employee - Non-sales in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Non-sales in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So for starters they really listen to their staff, through forums, focus groups, the best companies survey and monthly company meetings when you can send in questions anonymously to the CEO.
    Over my time at Audley the standard working hours have been shortened (pay remained the same), annual holiday allowance has been increased and annual pay reviews introduced.
    We are constantly rewarded for hard work through nominations that go towards anything from £50 vouchers, bottles of wine and top performer trips to Europe for the weekend.
    The perks are never ending from Easter eggs and advent calendars to beer fridays and endless social events for all.
    The general consensus is you work hard but at the end of the day produce a product that you can be proud of. Of course sales and there to be made but giving the best service to our clients is rated just as highly.
    Did I mention that we work in a stunning location on the border of the Cotswolds where you can take a stroll along the river at lunch, work on your own allotment patch, play ping pong, have a BBQ or work out in the onsite gym.
    The management team are constantly looking for ways to be better and welcome feedback from all. As I said what more could you ask for?!

Cons

Its a bit of a joke but air con would be nice for those occasional hot summer days - but then we do get compensated by the free ice creams!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, don't ever get corporate and keep listening to your staff!

10. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - RSM in London, England
    Current Employee - RSM in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vibrant and energetic atmosphere in the London office. Career opportunities, travel, social events and benefits.

Cons

Can be demanding at times with long hours required but travel is seasonal so you expect that in this industry and have to embrace it!

Advice to Management

The recent recruitment process has uncovered some fantastic candidates, passionate and enthusiastic, creating an exciting office atmosphere and energy.

"Don't believe the hype!"

Former Employee - Country Sales Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Country Sales Specialist in London, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people there are amazing there are a few jobworths you need to avoid. It's a great job for graduates who know no better because it looks great on your CV.

Cons

You can tell HR and management have been begging people to leave positive reviews on here, they all sound so fake! Recent changes are nice but don't go far enough to counteract the tyrannical managers who monitor your emails and watch your every move like a hawk. You can't relax at work at all. God help you if you're not a favourite they will try and manage you out I've seen people get fired for absolute nonsense over the last couple of years. As for sending people away frequently, that's only the case if it fits business needs and again if you're the managers favourite pet. They are very quick to pounce on mistakes and make you feel worthless. Do not under any circumstances ask for help they seem nice and rapidly turn it against you and never say what you think. The whole company is style over substance and if your face doesn't fit their perfect ideal they will make sure you fail I've seen it many times. If you have to work at Audley don't plan on being there a long time, make friends and connections in the industry and get out.

Advice to Management

Employees don't care about free ice cream, doughnuts and fancy parties. They want to earn a salary that affords a comfortable lifestyle outside of work. People work to live not live to work and Audley are forgetting that. Maybe if you saved money on all the overpriced events you could give your hard working staff a pay rise. They are your greatest asset and they aren't stupid. They are so scared to say what they think though that you'll never find out the truth.