Audley Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Audley Travel CEO Ian Simkins
Ian Simkins

Pros
  • Excellent FAM trips and educationals (in 19 reviews)

• Audley are kind enough to provide free fruit, juices, smoothies, porridge etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours at times, but usually results in more bookings which means more commission (in 13 reviews)

• Non-sales staff only have an allowance of 20 days annual leave (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Innovative company to work for"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great office and ever-changing environment. Always seeking to improve and provide great experiences for clients. Listen to feedback from employees, and genuinely cares about their wellbeing. Great team of people working here.

Cons

As in any sales company, there will be periods of high demand and longer hours, this goes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Look at the maternity/paternity policy. Great recent advancement in more flexible working - keep being open to new possibilities!

2. "Unlike any other travel company out there"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England

Pros

Beautiful offices, great social calendar, lovely cheerful people. Positive and encouraging environment. Regular fam trips!

Cons

Confusing commission structure but this is being worked on we have been assured

Advice to Management

Continue to review commission and salaries

3. "Travel Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Travel Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Travel Specialist in London, England

Pros

Great atmosphere, everyone is really friendly and social and you feel part of a team. Some great social events outside of work and some good incentives like weekends away.

Cons

Commission scheme isn't very rewarding and base salary is too low for the workload.
    Managers not around enough to help or listen.
    Really difficult to progress in your career.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, don't always tell people what you think is best.

5. "Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great fam trips and a company that genuinely cares about their employees welfare. Nice working environment and lots of perks such as top performer trips, company breakfasts and great bonus schemes

Cons

Long hours but you get out what you put in. Maternity package doesn't exist and would keep more people if you did.

12 May 2017 – Group HR Director

Maternity and Paternity policies are being looked at over the next few months

6. "A changing culture"

Former Employee - Country Sales Specialist in Witney, England
    Former Employee - Country Sales Specialist in Witney, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people working for Audley are great fun to be around and have an amazing outlook on life.
     There are some great job prospects as the company is expanding fast.

Cons

Sadly the company is heading in the wrong direction and it's culture is changing as it becomes more corporate. They have created a loyalty bonus for long serving staff which I think is designed to keep people longer than they want to stay. The idea that the company will be sold again soon is false so people will be waiting a lot longer than they've been led to believe for their bonus.

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your employees not just the ones saying the things you want to hear. There are many great people working for Audley and they are leaving because they feel underappreciated

12 May 2017 – Group HR Director

We are actively trying to find different ways of hearing feedback from all of our employees and acting on it. I am always delighted when anyone gives me some feedback

"The best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, fantastic location and the company genuinely cares about its employees.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great company anyway but on the up!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fabulous people, lots of perks aside from the travel, like-minded intelligent staff, sound company values

Cons

Teething troubles as the company grows across three major sites

Advice to Management

Don't neglect the middle management- keep bonuses trackable

"An even better employer than I anticipated..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I applied to Audley due to their outstanding reputation in the industry and in the way they look after their employees. So far, the company isliving up to it. Prior to starting, I almost withdraw my acceptance having read many negative reviews here, but I'm glad I didn't. Take it with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day, if you are going into sales you have to accept you will be working towards challenging targets. A lot of the reviews on here are incorrect.
    What is correct is that you will work in a stunning office, with fantastic people, great social scene and plenty of perks such as subsidised fitness classes and wine hour on Friday! I've worked for other travel companies big and small and they didn't even come close to this in comparing.

Cons

In all honesty the money doesn't start out that great, but opportunities for progression and bonuses are there.

Advice to Management

Increase the basic salary.

"I wouldn't work anywhere else in travel"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked in a previous travel company and having a vast network of friends who work across the industry in different companies, I know that Audley is the best company in the industry. I knew early on in my time here that I would not work anywhere else in travel.

The way the company looks after the staff is unparalleled, though for a lot of staff this their first 'real' job and so they often don't realise how lucky they are to have everything we are given! The office environment (in all three offices) is great, whether it's rural calm, urban living or industrial chic! A lot of effort has been put into making these offices enjoyable places to spend time and the offices have different things (a bar, a BBQ, ping pong tables etc). Free fruit and smoothies are topped up every other day, nice touches like free breakfast and weekend lunch when it's busy, vitamins to keep everyone healthy. A good deal of money is spent on socials on both small and large scales and it's a very friendly environment.

For me the main thing though is the development and training. In most travel companies sales staff and managers are essentially left to it, but here there is a constant focus on developing staff at all levels which is just amazing.

Cons

The systems could do with an update and have too many problems on too regular a basis. This needs to be high on the list of priorities to be looked at.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep spotting where the good talent is and progressing them through the company as this keeps all of us motivated and thinking about our own futures.

"An environment to flourish if you have the drive to"

Current Employee - Digital & Marketing in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Digital & Marketing in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people & the culture they create
    - Simple benefits which are often taken for granted: free fruit, sports (yoga, football, spinning, cricket, frisbee, cycling....) and great socials
    - A lot of opportunity and progression for the right people
    - A challenging environment but no finger pointing or siloed blame gaming
    - The offices. All three have their own unique aura and are great places to come every day
    - Travel benefits, offers, FAMs
    - The recent reduction in the working hours with no reduction in pay is amazing

Cons

After continuing rapid growth the company is playing catch-up a little in terms of the infrastructure but work is obviously being done.
    Communication remains a bit of a challenge across the three offices.

12 May 2017 – Group HR Director

We have just hired Head of Internal Communications as I am aware that this is an area we need to improve and I would like to ensure that we have plenty of two way communication