Audley Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Audley Travel CEO Ian Simkins
Ian Simkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent FAM trips and educationals (in 24 reviews)

• Audley are kind enough to provide free fruit, juices, smoothies, porridge etc (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There can be long hours in busy season (in 17 reviews)

• Non-sales staff only have an allowance of 20 days annual leave (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An excellent travel business"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

Audley is an excellent place to work. There are numerous other travel businesses but I'd be amazed if they have the culture and positive spirit Audley has. I have worked for one previously and there is simply no comparison. Audley has a good working environment (each office is nice), progressive approach to employee benefits and a commitment to improving. That's what I want which is why I'm still there.

Cons

It's hard work. Relentless but because Audley want to be the best. Work is measured and it's supervised - recognised and appreciated when good and supported when not so good.

Advice to Management

Audley is a growing business putting constant strain on communication and technology. Need to ensure it keeps up with growth.

"Audley Travel is the best."

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

You have to be here to experience how great it is.

Cons

There are no cons at Audley Travel .

Advice to Management

Managers are doing a great job.

"Audley has got it right for employees and customers."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Thatcham, England
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Thatcham, England

I have been working at Audley Travel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product, the culture and the people. You feel empowered to do the right hing at Audley which means the customer always come first. With the recent investment in development and a focus on their values, it makes Audley a supportive place to grow and develop your career.

There’s a great office vibe, culture and working environment where everyone is working towards making Audley the success it is. Putting customers at the heart of what we do makes Audley a truly fabulous place to work.

Cons

None. Audley has it right. Yes all companies have their moment and sometimes things get missed or forgotten or are a little irritating but Audley really is the place where you love to work, where you have a passion for what you do and the difference you make to your customers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Having a genuine passion for its people and focusing on the customer.

"10 Years at Audley and I Still Love Coming to Work"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic creating a great culture and team environment. The opportunity to travel and share my passion for the world makes each day enjoyable and the business is always looking to improve and develop its staff. I cant see me working anywhere else in travel.

Cons

At times like in all roles it can be tiring and you have to put in long hours or work in your own time.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff and having fun.

"Hardworking staff, great environment & lots of fun!"

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having been working for the company for over 2 years I have found that concerns get listened to and addressed - not swept under the carpet. There have already plenty of changes and improvements since I have been here.
    I get to talk about a country which i am passionate about, travelling there on a regular basis. Audley clients are fantastic, often as passionate about travel as the staff. My team are supportive, fun to work with and great at socializing. There are a lot of people with years of knowledge who are happy to help if you are not 100% sure with certain choices.

Cons

There are times of the year that are busier than others so there are holiday black-out dates; this isn't uncommon in the travel business. You do need to have a good level of organisation to stay on top of your work.
    The training when you start is great but do be willing to listen, learn and do your own research as well.

7. "A work Place that cares"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Country Specialist in Oxford, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Management Team t Audley take staff welfare extremely importantly and are constantly looking for ways to improve and listening and acting on feedback from Employees.
    As well as recent lifts in pay, holiday, maternity cover etc, Audley also offer fantastic socials, little treats and a fabulous reward system. They are always looking to commend good work and recognize anyone who has gone the extra mile.

Cons

The probation period of 8 months for country specialists is long, tough and stressful but necessary.

Advice to Management

Carry on as you are!

8. "They DO listen to their staff"

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great fam trips and travel opportunities
    - Very competitive pay with recent changes in mind
    - Good holiday
    - Fantastic working environment and culture
    - Management making very positive changes in response to staff turnover rate rising in the pat
    - Good promotion and career opportunities
    - Very good socials
    - Free fruit and subsidised tuck shop
    - Helpful and understanding management

Cons

- Some pressure to perform, but understandable in a sales position
    - Some stress dealing with occasionally difficult clients, but hard to avoid, and management there to step in

Advice to Management

There was a time we were having some trouble with 2-3 years experience staff leaving, and we scored lower than we hoped on the Best Companies. Management listened openly to the complaints people had, but rather than tell us to lump it spent all year working out how to give us a better deal, with the result of very satisfied and much more loyal staff.

My advice would be to keep listening! People don't complain for no reason, and particularly with the London office having a very low average age there will always be the problem of younger people being rather mercenary, but if management continues to address the root causes of staff attrition then it should be plain sailing to have a company full of very loyal and experienced staff.

And please, please be careful with over-hiring! Demand is growing, and hiring more staff is the way to deal with this, but don't bite off more than we can chew resulting in fresh staff struggling to hit their targets and make consistent good figures.

9. "Innovative and ambitious company, rewarding to work for"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

Being part of a company that is changing the way Americans experience the joys of travel, feeling like I make a difference and my ideas are listened to, working with people that I like and are equally as motivated, having opportunities to travel for work.

Cons

This is an industry where you get out what you put in, so to really flourish you will need to work hard and persevere. It's also an industry quite susceptible to geopolitical events and adverse weather.

Advice to Management

A talented group of people, I'm not really sure I'm in a position to give advice!

10. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They listen! The only company I have worked for that responds to their employee feedback. Some really positive changes in 2017 due to the feedback from the best companies survey.
    Inspiring leadership team with no hierarchy.
    Great socials and staff benefits.
    Smart offices.
    Fair pay in line with the industry.
    Progression and development.

Cons

RSM duty phone- fine to be on it but please change the working hours for that time- its too much!

11. "A great company"

Current Employee - Non-sales in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Non-sales in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looking at it objectively these are the reasons I joined Audley, and things that would make me stay:
    - Reputable company
    - Good office locations
    - Nice office spaces to work in
    - Fantastic people 'behind the brand'
    - Fantastic socials - monthly team socials plus extremely generous company-wide socials
    - Dedication to charity work
    - Fluidity amoung roles (ability to move departments easily).
    - Relaxed working environment
    - Many rewards, lunches, FAM trips, recognition, photography awards etc. etc.
    - Opinions of staff members matter and are taken into consideration when decisions are made
    - Good amount of annual leave

Cons

Overall, Audley Travel is a very good company, but in line with above here are elements that could make me leave:
    From what I gather Sales staff are incentivised for every move, but for non-sales, recognition/promotion is somewhat non-existent. So below is not based on a country specialist role but rather someone on the non-sales side of the business.
    - No clear progression plan
    - No bonuses/additional rewards
    - Unclear pay system (no idea how one gains a pay rise)
    - Unfair pay system (level of responsibility is not relative to pay)
    - Lack of clarity around promotions
    - Salaries vary dramatically (new roles are often advertised at a higher rate to existing employees on the same level/same experience).
    - A moaning culture (people are encouraged to moan.
    - We are told that we are #OneTeam but the Boston office differs greatly and feels like a different company, even the image of the brand is different there.
    - The company feels like it has entered an identity crisis which is confusing for both staff and clients.

Advice to Management

Look at what levels of responsibility different people have on the non-sales side of the business. Work on a way for non-sales people to communicate their frustrations without using e Glass Door or the annual staff survey.