Audley Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Audley Travel CEO Ian Simkins
Ian Simkins

Pros
  • Excellent FAM trips and educationals (in 16 reviews)

• Audley are kind enough to provide free fruit, juices, smoothies, porridge etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours at times, but usually results in more bookings which means more commission (in 11 reviews)

• Non-sales staff only have an allowance of 20 days annual leave (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging but the best in the business"

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Satisfaction in your job - the close working relationship with clients and personal service enables this
    The extras - many things set Audley apart with good offices, freebies, extensive fam trips, socials
    Close knit company - it may be growing but everyone is linked and management, for the most part, genuinely care about staff and about resolving issues
    Holiday - 30 days this year

Cons

Staff turnover is challenging especially with new starters in bulk - part of the industry I think
    High expectations - a lot is expected from every member of staff and there is definitely pressure, but again this is a sales job and it wouldn't work if there was nothing to push you

"I wouldn't work anywhere else in travel"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked in a previous travel company and having a vast network of friends who work across the industry in different companies, I know that Audley is the best company in the industry. I knew early on in my time here that I would not work anywhere else in travel.

The way the company looks after the staff is unparalleled, though for a lot of staff this their first 'real' job and so they often don't realise how lucky they are to have everything we are given! The office environment (in all three offices) is great, whether it's rural calm, urban living or industrial chic! A lot of effort has been put into making these offices enjoyable places to spend time and the offices have different things (a bar, a BBQ, ping pong tables etc). Free fruit and smoothies are topped up every other day, nice touches like free breakfast and weekend lunch when it's busy, vitamins to keep everyone healthy. A good deal of money is spent on socials on both small and large scales and it's a very friendly environment.

For me the main thing though is the development and training. In most travel companies sales staff and managers are essentially left to it, but here there is a constant focus on developing staff at all levels which is just amazing.

Cons

The systems could do with an update and have too many problems on too regular a basis. This needs to be high on the list of priorities to be looked at.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep spotting where the good talent is and progressing them through the company as this keeps all of us motivated and thinking about our own futures.

"An environment to flourish if you have the drive to"

Current Employee - Digital & Marketing in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Digital & Marketing in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people & the culture they create
    - Simple benefits which are often taken for granted: free fruit, sports (yoga, football, spinning, cricket, frisbee, cycling....) and great socials
    - A lot of opportunity and progression for the right people
    - A challenging environment but no finger pointing or siloed blame gaming
    - The offices. All three have their own unique aura and are great places to come every day
    - Travel benefits, offers, FAMs
    - The recent reduction in the working hours with no reduction in pay is amazing

Cons

After continuing rapid growth the company is playing catch-up a little in terms of the infrastructure but work is obviously being done.
    Communication remains a bit of a challenge across the three offices.

"An Outstanding company to work for"

Current Employee - Training Manager in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Training Manager in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I genuinely enjoy coming to work, I am supported, challenged and stretched every day and when I look back I can see how far I have progressed in my career. My team is fantastic and there is a real fun environment but we all push each other to do our best and support one another to make sure what we deliver is outstanding. Whilst here you are expect to work hard and be at your best but then that is why Audley are, and have been, at the top of their game for a long time and it is what our clients expect from us. Working hard also means the rewards are there both financially and career wise but it is all while having fun and a good laugh, what you put in is what you get out. Having seen the company change over my 10 years+ I feel I can honestly say at the heart of the business are the people and by that I mean its staff and its clients. I appreciate we have seen a lot of change, which does not suit everyone, but I know that nothing is taken lightly and a lot of thought goes into any decision and the impact is carefully considered. So work for Audley to be part of something unique and successful, but only if you want to be challenged and stretched as what you get back over time is well worth it.

Cons

Like any company there are downsides, that is life, but the upsides by far out weight the downsides. If you do have an issue and you put your point across in the correct way then you are listened to and whilst you may not always hear the answer you want it will be a fair and considered response. Like any company of its size it can be a little slow to react to feedback but this is starting to change. I would like to see more familiarisation trips for staff outside of sales as we are a travel company and it is the love of travel and my desire to be the best that made me originally want to work for Audley and has kept me here.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Country Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to work at genuinely the best travel company in the industry then Audley is the one for you. Very high standards are required but that comes with the type of clients we are dealing with every day. The team I work in is great, always helping each other out and celebrating successes collectively.
    The perks are also great - bar in the office, free fruit and smoothies, subsidised gym membership, showers and changing rooms, protected bike parking, yearly(ish) fam trips and good annual leave amount. Oh, and a ping-pong room as well!

Cons

Sometime can be very hard work and long hours. Clients can be very demanding. A lot of admin to do in the travel season but this is being addressed right now.

"The day you find something you love doing is the day that you stop working"

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked for the company for 7 years, I've seen a lot of change, sometime change has been fast and sometimes pretty slow, however it is am amazing company to work for. Having first been lured in by the free fruit, smoothies, fam trips and incredible parties, it is also the like minded, travel loving people that make it great. Talking to clients every day who want to travel about areas you are passionate in is amazing. I highly recommend and have recommended people to work here, iv'e recruited a few so far who also love the place. Recent changes to working hours and work life balance is a huge step forward.

Cons

It seems that sometimes there are less travelling experienced and more sales driven, less client focused people recruited now, possibly these who have written any negative reviews as they don't have the right attitude or possibly haven't worked before and so don't understand what work or responsibility is. Unfortunately these take away from what makes Audley great to work for and great to travel with.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward, and keep looking for and looking after those long term employees who be here for the company and clients as well as themselves.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Service and Support in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Service and Support in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They listen. They're open minded - they understand that a nose ring or a tattoo doesn't stop you being hard working. My team is AMAZINGLY supportive and my managers listen and really care about me as a human being as well as part of the company.

Cons

There is a pressure to go to socials. As an introvert with social anxiety, I was disappointed that because I was too anxious to attend last year's summer party I was told I had to stay at my desk and work, a near impossibility when the rest of the office were running around putting makeup or costumes on and music just outside my window was pounding.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. The positive changes being put in place at the moment are so great, and leave me feeling appreciated and listened to. Keep that up!

"An even better employer than I anticipated..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I applied to Audley due to their outstanding reputation in the industry and in the way they look after their employees. So far, the company isliving up to it. Prior to starting, I almost withdraw my acceptance having read many negative reviews here, but I'm glad I didn't. Take it with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day, if you are going into sales you have to accept you will be working towards challenging targets. A lot of the reviews on here are incorrect.
    What is correct is that you will work in a stunning office, with fantastic people, great social scene and plenty of perks such as subsidised fitness classes and wine hour on Friday! I've worked for other travel companies big and small and they didn't even come close to this in comparing.

Cons

In all honesty the money doesn't start out that great, but opportunities for progression and bonuses are there.

Advice to Management

Increase the basic salary.

"After almost 5 years working here..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started as a specialist at Audley, working in sales and I truly enjoyed it. Yes, it was challenging, targets are tough but on top of commission there are so many other rewards. I then moved out of sales and into a more operational role. It's tough to find a company that cares about their employees and are keen to keep you on and help you develop. Having now been part of the background of Audley I am definitely keen to stay for as long as possible and the benefits keep increasing, so why not!

Cons

You get an additional day of holiday for every year you work at Audley (starts at 20) but it's capped at 25. Sales specialist get more by working weekends, but as it's a travel company it should have opportunities to offer more holiday to non-sales or replace this benefit with something else after 5 years.

"Things even got better"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As one of the fastest growing companies in travel there are plenty of opportunities to grow, the company looks after its staff with lots of little perks and generally everyone is treated with respect. I have been with Audley for a good few years and although there have been many changes and the company has transformed massively in the years that I have been there, these changes have made us more robust and better equipped for the future. And recent changes have made things even better, with a reduction of the working week by 2 1/2 hours whilst maintaining the same salary, the introduction of flexi-time and home working!

Cons

Within sales we are all specialised in our own countries and whereas this is great for clients, after a few years it would be good to see a bit more variety. This is an option but normally means changing teams.

Advice to Management

Keep working on company wide communication.