Audley Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Audley Travel CEO Ian Simkins
Ian Simkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent FAM trips and educationals" (in 28 reviews)

• "Free fruit and subsidised tuck shop" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and a lot of pressure to perform" (in 20 reviews)

• "Like some others have mentioned, the demand of a sale jobs can sometimes bring work-life balance into question" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, with a clear structure and firm values"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Roles are clearly defined, great management.
    - Strong company culture: you put a lot in but you do get a lot out
    - Salary (and commission)
    - One month fam trip when you start on sales.
    - Training is comprehensive
    - Great parties and social scene
    - Wonderful, like minded colleagues.

Cons

- Targets remain the same throughout the year. I feel they should be a bit more weighted depending on countries/busy periods.
    - Music in the office, whilst not always playing, can be distracting as people have such varied music tastes!
    - Senior management do not actually spend that much time in the London office, and so when they do come down it's a little distant.
    - The hot water taps have been broken for some time now.
    - Updates are not always given on internal projects (although the projects themselves are great)

Advice to Management

Senior management- spend more time in London.

2. "A very welcoming and forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like I am well looked after and feel proud to work for Audley

Cons

Can be stressful during busy periods

"Started great, things are now massively slipping"

Former Employee - Country Specialist in London, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff - they make the job, open-minded friendly people
    25 days Annual Leave
    Travelling perks with the job
    Not recently but 1-2 years ago, there were huge positive changes to maternity cover, annual leave etc. last 6-9 months not many great changes have come in - its gone a little stale

Cons

Absolute favoritism in terms of who gets the best enquiries, same people consistently recognized while others are pushed to the wayside. There is definitely not the some opportunities for all - those at the top get preferential treatment, those midway will stay stagnant, those struggling with the hard targets will be managed out.
    A company where the rules apply to some but certainly not to all
    Felt a bit like being in school - we won't pay you great but here's some free smoothies.. I think over time our generation is tired of empty perks and instead want actual career progression and salary growth.
    The terms and conditions of the contract - although it seems to only apply for some unlucky few, be sure to read every word of the contract as where they please, they will come down heavy on one or two unfortunates, in terms of repayment of work trips.

Advice to Management

Motivate the teams more, be more accountable
    A lot of behind the scenes movement - not very transparent or forthcoming when staff are struggling or considering resigning
    Differential treatment shown to employees is very noticeable to all and is only continuing to marginalize those that are not at the very top and creates for a very non-motivational atmosphere.
    Staff that feel worthy, will do much more than is expected, staff that feel under-appreciated and under-paid, will eventually vote with their feet.

4. "Good company but not busy enough"

Former Employee - Tailor Made Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Tailor Made Specialist in London, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company ethos, great colleagues to work with and relaxed working environment

Cons

Simply not enough work to do

"Great company, with some downsides"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great offices
    Like-minded people
    Fantastic fam-trips
    Great socials & parties
    Ambitious, Expanding company so lots of opportunities
    The directors really do listen & change things

Cons

Computer systems were set up for a small company and as such are now archaic and not fit-for-purpose given the expansion
    It's too easy to make fundamental mistakes due to improper training, which then affect your own pay and progression
    Progression within a sales role is exceptionally difficult and in-turn can prove de-motivating
    Obstacles in the way of doing your job (although these are being looked at).
    Too much admin

Advice to Management

Keep listening, and don't lose sight of what makes Audley a great company.
    Make a decision whether you'd like to focus sales jobs on sales or admin, because at the moment, the two are not easily achievable in tandem.

6. "Fun but high pressure"

Former Employee - Country Specialist in London, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like minded colleagues
    Fun atmosphere
    Fam trips

Cons

High pressure for targets
    Stress level

"Not very guy friendly or long time career option"

Former Employee - Canada Country Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Canada Country Specialist in London, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry level travel job

Cons

Growing so big more interested in recruitment instead of retaining current staff

Advice to Management

Spend more money on wages, commission and systems that work rather than balloons and stupid games to entertain the youngest staff

Audley Travel Response

22 Oct 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for your comments. The retention of our staff is paramount to our success and it’s something we take very seriously. We are really keen on listening to our employee’s feedback and through... More

8. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- clear job description
    - one month in specialist country when you join
    - excellent training
    - clear progression
    - salary + commission
    - good incentives so that hard work is rewarded
    - friendly and fun company culture

Cons

- big swings between very busy periods and quiet periods (realise this is quite hard to avoid in travel)
    - could weight targets for busier periods for each country

"Excellent benefits but no progression opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting, the people are passionate, and it's exciting to work for a successful company that offers excellent trips. The office has a really nice environment and is a very pleasant place to work.
    There are so many perks at Audley - free fruit, exercise classes, allotments, etc. The parties and socials are amazing. It's really great to work for a company that cares so much about their staff.
    Although non-sales don't have frequent research trips, they are brilliant when they happen - a real perk that very few companies can offer.
    Audley has a Responsible Travel policy that is taken very seriously - it's great that so much work goes into supporting our charity of the year, and that we offer ethical trips.
    Last year, working hours were reduced and holiday days were increased. These were fantastic changes and it's great that management listened to what their staff needed.

Cons

Sales are very much treated as priority and I feel progression opportunities for non-sales have been completely overlooked. There is no indication of what I can do to progress in my role which means I have to consider if I have a future in the company.
    Similarly, performance is not recognised with pay. Most people's job roles evolve as they gain more experience and take on more responsibility. However, this is not reflected in pay. When I was told there would be an annual pay review, I think this was misleading, as the tiny pay increase doesn't even match inflation.
    For those of us living and working in Oxfordshire, it seems unfair that there is no weighting on salaries as in London. Living costs are incredibly high in this part of the country (I pay the same in rent as I did in London), meaning that those who have moved here specifically to work for Audley are putting themselves at a disadvantage if they ever hope to save money or buy property.
    Communication from management can be poor. We all have quarterly objectives to fulfil, but lack of communication means that details of objectives often aren't offered until halfway through the quarter. This creates a huge amount of pressure as we race to get work done.

Advice to Management

Non-sales need motivation in terms of pay and progression - the company hires passionate, ambitious people but doesn't have the opportunities available for them to grow with the company. The benefits are amazing, but ultimately people come to work to be paid and to build their careers - don't forget the fundamentals.
    Of course sales drive the business, but there are hundreds of other people in non-sales roles doing essential jobs who shouldn't be overlooked.
    I love working for Audley, and I think it's fantastic that management has listened about important issues such as working hours. I hope they continue to listen to keep people happy and motivated in their roles.

Audley Travel Response

27 Jul 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you or your feedback, we’re glad that you enjoy the environment and culture at Audley, including the excellent FAM trips and the extra holiday we introduced alongside other benefits this year... More

10. "Country Specialist- India and Sri Lanka"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuinely the best company I have ever worked for. The job itself is really rewarding, you talk to clients about travel and are responsible for putting together itineraries in the country you specialise in. Hearing the post trip feedback is so lovely. I really love the team I'm in, everybody's really friendly and approachable, and there's a great social scene too. Management are supportive and my career progression within Audley is really clear. I love working here and can see myself staying with the company for a long time.

Cons

None for me (other than I personally have a long commute!) It is fairly admin heavy for a sales role, but it's all manageable.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to staff and acting on feedback. All the positive changes are noticed and very much appreciated.