Audley Travel Employee Reviews about "audley"

Updated Dec 15, 2020

Found 97 of over 285 reviews

3.9
Audley Travel Chief Executive Nick Longman
Nick Longman
Pros
  • "Audley is great in that it has all sorts of perks to make it a fun place to work(in 65 reviews)

• "Plenty of perks including great healthcare and fam trips among others(in 53 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I really do not have any cons about working for Audley(in 50 reviews)

• "Long hours at times and stressful(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "audley"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Audley will go from strength to strength

Oct 12, 2020 - Regional Sales Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked a largely happy 9 years at Audley Travel and through these years took on different roles within the company that I would most definitely consider a great springboard for me to pursue a different line in career. It is without doubt the people who make the company; from those in admin/sales support through to sales, management and up to the leadership team. On the whole. everyone does pull together to make it work, particular in light on the current climate where people have been thrown into roles they are not used to, the majority of people rolled up their sleeves and got on with it. The stability during Covid where many competitors have failed is testament to this "One Team" belief. In recent years, we have arguably seen the most dynamic and approachable leadership team, and this is why I am confident in saying that Audley will continue to grow from strength to strength in the next few years and beyond.

Cons

While work has been done on communication, this could still be highlighted as room for improvement, although I am sure the new systems and a more agile workforce will contribute to this. From a manager's point of view, as in the sales teams, there does need to be complete transparency on merits and improvements so there is clear visibility on your own but your own peers' positive points and where needs improving. As most managers get on extremely well, this is a great opportunity to work together on weaknesses etc. While the pay is ok, the bonus system does need attention as it's too heavily weighted to a strong start to the year and if that doesn't happen, much of it is playing catch-up - this is especially important for those living in London where the London weighting isn't enough (just a a general rule)

2. 2.0
      Former Employee

Can be fun but toxic culture

Dec 15, 2020 - Country Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

They used to employ great people, standards have definitely slipped / FAM trips, when you get them (depends on who likes you) / Used to be a good company for your CV, not so sure anymore / Used to have great parties, but I guess that's over now and will be for a while (due to covid and future cashflow) / A pretty good, if not overpriced, end product for the clients. I'd probably still recommend booking an Audley holiday if money isn't an issue for you. /

Cons

Incredibly bad at dealing with mental health issues, even worse at not causing them in the first place / Definitely a 'if your face fits' kind of culture. / Targeting system really unfair across departments / Unpaid overtime a regular occurrence and expected. Salary does not justify it. / Really bad for throwing money at clients when something goes wrong. Also very bad at stopping the same thing from happening again due to outdated systems and processes and under-resourced product teams. The specialist will always suffer - getting it in the neck from the client AND losing commission.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun company, high turnover

Jan 21, 2020 - Country Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Audley is great in that it has all sorts of perks to make it a fun place to work. Days off for volunteer work, great PTO, lots of travel opportunities, socials, and benefits in place. Very young company so lots of opportunities to make friends and get to know your coworkers. They're also great about training opportunities and growing in your role.

Cons

There is a very high turnover rate for this company. The role of country specialist, while better paid than other travel companies in London, pays low. Everyone I knew who was working the role in their first year was running out of money week 3 of the month and dipping into their savings just to get by. They pay a bonus once you pass probation, but 1/3 of staff don't pass the probation at month 8 and there's a lack of transparency if you will be let go at that point. Most employees quit after year 2 in the role as it is also a lot of work compared to other travel specialist roles in the industry. There's a strong culture of working over time and on average i worked an additional 4 hrs per week for no extra pay (future commission is the argument for these extra hours). Sometimes there can be the feeling of being held at arms length from your peers until you pass probation.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

I'm proud to have worked at Audley

Sep 2, 2020 - Sales Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Audley is a company that genuinely cares about its people and its clients, as well as the responsibility it has to operate in a sustainable way. I worked at Audley for a long time, and grew with it as it built its reputation as offering the best tailormade trips and levels of customer services at the same time in investing in its staff, through training, familiarisation trips and creating a great office environment in which to work. I left Audley to pursue a new career and whilst I of course can't say I enjoyed every minute working at Audley, my years there will be remembered as overwhelmingly positive. There are opportunities to develop for those who want it but as with anywhere these positions are not infinite. I was really surprised to see other comments on this site about cliques and favouritism as I never had any experience of this. Audley rewards what you put in. They have built a great place to work but expect in return effort and personal responsibility. In terms of the situation now with Covid -19, it's heartbreaking to see what's happening to the travel industry but I do believe Audley has a leadership team that's doing everything it can to protect its employees and customers, and to be in the best possible place to emerge from this situation. The company may have grown quickly but the people who lead it have not lost touch with their employees.

Cons

There was a time when all the Audley incentives focussed on great parties and drinking. Over the last couple of years they have had some great ideas to incentivise and appeal to different people and different departments which has been great for engagement. As is the nature of sales and the travel industry, work comes in peaks and troughs - busy periods can be very tiring especially if you're selling in an area when peak enquiries falls at the same time as travel season.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent company, industry leader

Jul 11, 2020 - Country Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun work environment - people make Audley, live by the company's values, good earning potential through commission in sales positions, amazing travel perks, supportive environment, different progression opportunities.

Cons

Lack of diversity, imbalances in earning potential depending on your sales region, less competitive salary in middle management, one type fits all management style, snobbish attitude of some staff to anyone/thing deemed 'not very Audley'.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Worth Fighting For

May 2, 2020 - Country Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Audley are fantastic - I love being part of such a dedicated, hard working and positive team. My work inspires me, what we do makes me proud and I feel that we are supported. The current situation is an awful one, for the whole travel industry, but this company is worth fighting for and I do feel like we are doing so as a mutually supportive team. If I am still here next year, with my incredible team, I will be very happy.

Cons

Every role has it's cons and most are out of anyone's control, but I'm not working my butt off to save a job that I don't love, so I'll leave it at that.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible workplace

Aug 11, 2020 - Country Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1-month fam trip and great training is provided when you start.

Cons

The company itself is very clique and you soon start to realise that, throughout the business, your future is very dependant on whom your manager/RSM is and how difficult they are. My manager was rude, patronising, wasn't interested in getting to know myself, cared more about being the popular kid on the playground and getting the laughs. I honestly used to look around me in amazement at how I was treated, never ever seen anything like it. I feel Audley has certain people at the company that are very comfortable and have a sense of power that they like to inflict. There was also a sense of favouritism with the leads, I would get non-English speaking leads and the odd backpacker one, whereas other team members in the team never got these (the ones it was obvious they wanted to keep happy). Very tough sales targets especially when you are being given cold leads.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A good company to work for in troubling times

May 3, 2020 - Country Sales Specialist in Witney, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

There have been many changes to Audley during my time here, some for the better and some for the worse. Just before we were hit by COVID-19 I would say that we were the strongest we have been for many years. Experience does differ from department to department. Each section feels like its own, smaller business and genuinely the support and ‘togetherness’ of the team is one of the main reasons I love Audley so much. The HoPs and RSMs, for the most part, genuinely care about their team and strive to get the best out of them - pushing people in the right direction depending on their strengths and actually listening to feedback. The passion for travel within the business is like nothing I have seen elsewhere and it’s genuinely exciting to work with so many people who have had so many amazing experiences and are passionate about sharing them. The changes to the commission structure over the past few years have been gladly welcomed and it is easier to manage finances now when you have holiday, fam or a poor month. The openness and honesty since COVID-19 has affected the business so badly has been refreshing, particularly from the MD. I have never before seen such hard work, team work and support for colleagues as the weeks leading up to lock down when everyone was working incredibly hard to repatriate clients from around the world. It’s situations like that which make me incredibly proud to work for such an amazing company and with such great people. This is a job that I truly love and look forward to coming back to every day. I sincerely hope that I am here to see it when the travel industry bounces back over the next 12 months as I genuinely believe there are great things ahead.

Cons

It is a sales business so the fact remains that there are targets and pressures. This has increased a little over the past few years but is still manageable and there is still recognition of other skills and strengths, but this needs to continue, especially once we come through COVID and the pressures remain to generate more cash. We cannot lose sight of why we’re so excellent at what we do and why clients return to us. I do have large reservations about the recruitment of external RSMs. Whilst I understand that there are many outside skills they can bring into the business, I do not believe that they can fully do their job until they understand the role of the CS, particularly everything outside of the sales process, which takes a year to understand. You have plenty of experiences specialists who are keen to learn and develop management skills that would be much more helpful to their teams than external managers who have no idea how to do the CS job, as this takes at least 12-18 months to fully understand and this can have a detrimental effect on their teams. If managers must be recruited externally then they need much more training and support before being the sole manager of their team.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Work hard, play hard

Jun 19, 2019 - Country Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Audley's offices are lovely, the people here really make the job worth it. The company is full of personable, interesting people that are keen to work hard and play hard - it's no secret that Audley is a social company. Not only is there loads of opportunity for drinks but the company also offers loads of great benefits, is constantly seeking feedback to update how it looks after the staff and in recent years has made improvements to the commission structure, maternity and paternity leave, brought in an the health shield plan and made changes to the promotions structure. Audley's focus as a company is truly on the client's experience and ensuring that our clients recommend us to others in order to create organic growth: the highlight of the day to day job is really chatting to clients about holidays. While a sales focused role, being a country specialist means you do genuinely get to talk to people about a country or region that you're passionate about. When you start at Audley you get a thorough training that continues after your initial introduction to the company and carries on through your time as a specialist.

Cons

As with all jobs, little niggles let things down: IT is an enormous issue that we've been told is currently being worked on, as the infrastructure is clunky. Coming into the role, there is a lot to learn and it can be overwhelming. Knowing the country specialist job takes a while to really get to grips with as you need to really go through a sales season and travel season to understand all facets of the role. There's a lack of consistency across teams in the company with certain processes.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great sales role with a fantastic team and training.

Jun 25, 2019 - Country Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Clear progression opportunities for sales staff with training being offered to support you to move into management if you choose. For those who love sales there are other ways to progress your career where you can take on extra responsibilities within the team from such as training or mentoring a newer member of staff. The earning potential is fantastic once you understand the role but realistically it takes 12- 18 months to really embed what you have learnt. The role is serviced focused but this is definitely a sales role where you are working to clear sales targets. The expectations are very transparent and you’re measured not just on your sales but also your service levels. 4 week initial FAM trip when you start. It’s a great opportunity but this is a work trip not a holiday. Some days can be pretty exhausting but its also a lot of fun. Secondary trips are offered every 12- 18 months depending on business needs/time of year. Audley throw the best parties and they don’t cut corners. The company listen to staff feedback. Its quite transparent with monthly Company meetings where you can ask questions to the whoever is leading the meeting which is either the CEO, CFO, MD or HR Director. The benefits are constantly being reviewed. As of this month we now receive life insurance. Very bright, modern offices with plenty of natural light all within close walking distance to tube and over ground stations.

Cons

The travel industry is cyclical which means your earnings go up and down with peak/non-peak periods.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 97 Reviews