Audley Travel Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 19 Oct 2020

3.6
Audley Travel Chief Executive Nick Longman
Nick Longman
Pros
  • "Audley is great in that it has all sorts of perks to make it a fun place to work(in 65 reviews)

• "Plenty of perks including great healthcare and fam trips among others(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "I really do not have any cons about working for Audley(in 50 reviews)

• "Long hours at times and stressful(in 26 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A company that really listens"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training Good progression Excellent trips to improve country knowledge Good team environment Good socials Company really listens and is responsive to ideas Good approach to wellbeing e.g. free fruit, smoothies, juice etc

Cons

Can be some long hours in busy seasons

Continue reading
  2. "Audley Travel Review"

Former Employee - Country Specialist

I worked at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

Good company culture and great training

Cons

Long hours at times and stressful

"Nice people, but company is grasping at straws"

Former Employee - Canada Specialist in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, nice community, nice officers, travel oppurtunities, casual dress

Cons

Not paid enough, becoming too corporate, long hours, too much admin, too sales focused

December 5, 2019HR Generalist

I’m pleased to hear you enjoy the benefits that Audley offer. We have added many benefits over the past few years and its great to hear this feedback. There are always pressures that comes with a sales role and Audley do try to balance this out. We have reduced our core hours to 37 hours based on employee feedback to help support a healthy work life balance and we do encourage all staff to work these hours. Our staff work on average of 12 weekends days per year with a day off in lieu either side of the weekend to ensure a 5 day working week. The travel industry is cyclical and with that there may be certain times of the year where you will be busier. We try to balance this additional work with wellbeing initiatives (on-site gym, lunch time exercise classes and yoga), social events and ensuring the kitchens are stocked with an array of fresh fruit, juices and smoothies. In addition, we are working on enhancing the flexibility we’re able to offer our staff to further support a healthy work life balance. We have offered 20 staff the opportunity to work remotely from home (or another location) in Q4 this year and we aim to extend this to more staff as our technology continues to improve throughout 2020.

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Country Sales Specialist in London, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great socials, great team, good office atmosphere. Good opportunity for someone coming from uni wanting to get a foot into the door in sales, travel or both. They also lowered the sales targets for new starters which is great. Fam trips are a great idea and well worth it.

Cons

Before I start I want to say that I genuinely believe that HR has good intentions to make this a great place to work. In the end however, there's an investor at the end of the chain and they are of course primarily interested in numbers. This may work well in the financial industry, but in the end Audley is a travel company selling "experiences" - as cheesy as it sounds. Most people who decide to work here do so out of a passion for travel, cultures and to plan incredible trips for their clients. The result of the management pushing, pushing and pushing for quotes and bookings has been quite clear, our department has lost a third of their staff within the past year. The firm's employee retention is non existent, there's been a wave of experienced staff members leaving recently and it feels that really no one bats an eye. But let's start with the commission system. Of course your commission depends on how many bookings you make a month which is perfectly fine. The problem is that they will retrospectively deduct part of it (or even all of it) from your next paycheck if for whatever reason your client hasn't come back satisfied from their holiday. Reasons could be anything from a bad driver or guide in the country in question, a cancelled flight or any other reason which the country specialists don't have any control of. You are often the scapegoat for everything. Meaning, if your client decided they're not happy with something that's completely out of your control, you will be personally financially liable for it. If you're lucky and you dispute it, you might get it back if your manager is willing to help but it's a hassle and few people go that far. For a company that literally throws money at every customer not returning completely happy, sometimes in the thousands, this is just not good enough. Many reviews on here mention high stress levels and long hours. The pressure is indeed high, in the end it is a sales environment. The problem is that your job goes far beyond just being a sales specialist. You are an operations, admin, complaints and occasionally product representative at the same time. Generally not bad as it gives you a variety of tasks every day. The problem however is that your sales targets and customer service targets remain the same, there's simply no flexibility. There's pressure coming from all sides and oftentimes long hours are the only way to finish everything at the end of the day. The elites and turbos who have often worked at Audley for many years know how to do it but for new starters in particular this can be quite the challenge. Then there's clearly a lack of career progression opportunities, mainly due the fact that growing the sales department is the company's main concern. The product teams are kept small and while they are doing their best, there's a lot more potential to improve product, text and new ideas especially against the background of new competitors such as vivid travel, imagine and co. A travel operations department doesn't exist as every specialist manages both sales and operations process for each client. If you decide to work for Audley, make sure you're aware that you're making yourself financially liable for the next 18 months in case you decide that this job is not for you (unless they let you go during or right after probation). Otherwise they can make you pay up to 2k in fam costs. I have seen first hand how even close to these 18 months they will make specialists pay a substantial amount back. IT systems totally outdated and a pain. I know the above all sounds very negative, but if you've got a passion for sales and are quite organised then I'd give it a go. It's a good start into the industry, be it sales or travel and if you're committed and sales driven then it could be a great opportunity.

September 13, 2019Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your time at Audley. We take all feedback into consideration and are always openminded when it comes to ways we could improve things for our employees. I’m pleased to hear that you experienced great social events, along with being part of a great team and enjoyed our office atmosphere! Our employees are at the heart of what we do and therefore will always encourage a ‘one team’ philosophy and positive working environment. That said, I am concerned by your further comments and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally about your whole experience in further detail. One of our core values is to ‘be passionate about travel’. We encourage our sales teams to create special and unique experiences our clients will always remember. Therefore, I am regretful that you feel your passion for travel was overlooked as this is a key driver in the Country Specialist role and what separates Audley from our competitors. Having said that, the role is still a Sales position and there are minimum expectations each month for our employees to reach, with the help and support of management, product and sales support functions. We strive on reaching excellent client satisfaction feedback on every single trip, and as such this has been built into our commission structure. We continue to review our salary, commission and benefits offering and as part of this our Head of Reward is currently reviewing the commission structure we have in place to ensure it is right and fit for Audley and our employees. We appreciate that the Country Specialist role is a demanding role, and as such continue to review ways we can best support our staff in juggling the various tasks involved. For example, we implemented the Sales Support and Quality Control functions to aid in the administrative aspects and are seeking to implement enhanced technology systems next year to help speed up processes. We value the importance of our clients having one point of contact throughout their entire Audley experience. This is something that sets us apart from our competitors and we will continue to encourage this strong, ongoing relationship, whilst simultaneously looking for ways to support this from a Country Specialist perspective. The Country Specialist role offers a clear career progression, enabling employees to further their skills in the role and reach more Senior sales positions. Outside of this we encourage internal movement of staff, including into other areas of the business such as Product or Operations. Our version of the annual appraisal – My Journey – was implemented to help support such conversations and encourage employees and managers to discuss career aspirations and how to reach this goal. Thank you once again for your feedback. Whilst I am pleased to hear that you have recognised that working for Audley is a great opportunity, I am disappointed by some of your other comments. Please do not hesitate to speak with me directly regarding any of the points above.

"Keep focusing on the travel, it’s what we do!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment, albeit it can be pressurised in sales so not for the faint hearted. Company strives to do the right thing by its customers and staff and makes great trips for customers

Cons

Long hours and can be stressful, look at ways you can make it less stressful. As some of us have grown up in the company benefits to suit families would be a plus.

Continue reading

"10 Years at Audley and I Still Love Coming to Work"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic creating a great culture and team environment. The opportunity to travel and share my passion for the world makes each day enjoyable and the business is always looking to improve and develop its staff. I cant see me working anywhere else in travel.

Cons

At times like in all roles it can be tiring and you have to put in long hours or work in your own time.

Continue reading
  7. "A travel company that is growing fast."

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment, Witney is a beautiful location to work and there are plenty of perks that make the days enjoyable. There are generous rewards for the successful, I earn well in excess of 40K each year. Great familiarisation trips to your own specialist country.

Cons

New starter turnover has been too high. The company has reacted to this by vastly improving their training for new starters to give everyone a great chance of success. Not everyone works long hours, there are those who are successful and can fit their work into the standard working day, this does require a high level of focus and keen organisational skills. For some, long hours are required to keep up with the workload. There is an issue with progression. For most successful sales people it is a pay cut to move into management. This is something that the company is looking at and I hope that managers pay is increased.

Continue reading

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - RSM in London, England

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vibrant and energetic atmosphere in the London office. Career opportunities, travel, social events and benefits.

Cons

Can be demanding at times with long hours required but travel is seasonal so you expect that in this industry and have to embrace it!

Continue reading
  9. "Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witney, England

I worked at Audley Travel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great fam trips and a company that genuinely cares about their employees welfare. Nice working environment and lots of perks such as top performer trips, company breakfasts and great bonus schemes

Cons

Long hours but you get out what you put in. Maternity package doesn't exist and would keep more people if you did.

May 12, 2017Group HR Director

Maternity and Paternity policies are being looked at over the next few months

"Mostly a good company to work for but room for improvement"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The FAM trips, once every 18 months or so, are excellent and also give the specialists first-hand knowledge of the countries they arrange trips to. The people at the company are in general very like-minded, and the social side of the company is also very good.

Cons

The pay structure at the company needs a major overhaul as you end up working long hours and only the most senior specialists are paid fairly for the work they do. I have heard that Regional Sales Manager salaries are also low.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews