Austin Macauley Publishers Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Forward Thinking Publisher"

Current Employee - Team Member in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Austin Macauley Publishers are a great company to work for. The staff including department managers and team leaders are on hand at all times. Each department truly cares for each author, from submissions, editorial, production, accounts, marketing and finally the ordering and dispatch department. The teams are great and all support each other. Communication and training are key to making the whole operation run smoothly. After reading the negative reviews about the company employing apprentices , in my opinion this is great. They get a qualification at the end of their course, they are given full training and work closely with the apprenticeship colleges. What I enjoy most about working here is the positive letters and emails we receive from the authors when their books have been published. The letters , emails and gifts the staff receive make the job more rewarding. The company also welcome fresh and new ideas . Staff are rewarded on a monthly basis and entered into the employee of the month scheme. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and would ignore the negative comments. The staff are amazing

Cons

Days can be hard but we support and help each other . There are days that can be challenging but that is part and parcel of any job.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the right direction and continue to value the ideas that your staff bring to the table.

"What a mess this business is in!!!!!"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Ely, England
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Ely, England

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of lovely ppl, because the staff turn over is amazing. There are some really lovely staff here unfortunately we are all looking for new positions elsewhere. Some already going.

Cons

Absolutely no security, No support. Hardly any training but then the ppl training don't know how to do the stuff. They like cheap young Labour apprentices even better cos they're the cheapest.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter what position you hold if they want you gone you'll go.

"Worst Company ever to work for"

Former Employee - Account Assistant in Witchford, England
    Former Employee - Account Assistant in Witchford, England

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In complete honesty there is no pro's to this job at all. From the get go the management were absolutely horrendous, they are rude and would rather scream orders than talk to you about them in a polite and professional manner. There is no training given and an awful lot of apprentices which proves they want all jobs done for cheap labour. Even the full time staff were paid minimum wage. The accounts department is a complete shamble and the staff are rude. The marketing team were lovely but put under so much pressure for no where near enough money. One woman in the company even had a breakdown because of how she was treat and they didnt even feel bad about that.

It is one of by far the worst experiences I have ever had and if anybody asked me about them i would tell them to stay well clear. The way the company is run is illegal and should be shut down. I was told to stay away when i applied for the job but after working there would give the same advice to any future prospects. The company is only there to make money and doesn't care who they hurt in the process. They lie to all of their authors and are constantly giving out fake names so authors dont know who they are making all the staff feel uncomfortable.

Cons

The whole company is a complete con & waste of time. No training and no time for staff. They need to be shut down.

Advice to Management

Giving advice to management is useless, they wont listen and will only continue to treat their staff and authors horrendously. They need to be shut down.

5. "One of the most comfortable places I have worked at"

Current Employee - Accounts Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Accounts Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When i first joined Austin Macauley Publishers, I was welcomed by a group of the friendliest staff I have ever met. I was taught everything I needed to do straight away and i felt straight away that i was going to enjoy working at this place.
    As the title says, this is one of the most comfortable places i have ever worked at and the benefits and the career opportunities that i will get from are also great.
    I have worked in both the production and accounts departments and in both departments, people have been very friendly and helpful with answering all my questions and getting trained up for the position.Authors, if you are looking for good publishers, I very much recommend Austin Macauley Publishers as the production team here are very communicative with the authors and try their best to pinpoint everything the author wants before bringing the book out for production .I am currently in the accounts department and if it goes on like it is now, ill stay for as long as they let me!

Cons

the downsides of working here are too small to even mention.
    Yes it might get a bit stressful at times but that is part of the description of every job and besides, when you have a team besides you as nice as this one, stressful situations get solved quick and easy.

Advice to Management

Stay as you are! you have been nothing but friendly and respectful to me every since I started working here.

6. "If you work hard then you'll do well here"

I have been working at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

A progressive company, ones with huge plans for the future.

Cons

Not always sunshine and flowers, but it's a business world, not a summer camp.

"Not a true publisher but a print on demand company. Authors and Job hunters beware of what you are getting into."

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Ely, England
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Ely, England

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff are constantly challenged, which can be ok to start with, then it changes most of them decent human beings, intelligent people, just get to know them and they leave as getting bullied and face conflict.
    Some nice authors, some great books with potential until authors realise they have been duped.
    Staff try to make a difference but they never do.

Cons

Faceless management who only appear on physically in the office to sack and even yell at staff in public.

Staff turnover is ridiculous, Over 17 staff have left recently some just got up and walked out, some just sacked on the spot, some gone off sick never to be seen again. Marketing, accounts and production have highest staff turnover. They just sack the ones they don't like in Editorial.

Rarely No lunch breaks, no suitable time off for appointments, made to feel bad when you ask, watched constantly under the vise of cctv! No benefits. They even pay you by cheque.

Authors beware - books are not physically printed, there is no stock - ask them for pictures of the print run. They print books solely on demand hence a three week turn around time if you are lucky!

AM only have a Po Box in London, all staff work from old fashioned offices in Witchford, Cambridgeshire. The staff are forced to lie about there whereabouts which was uncomfortable.

Marketing is very poor, morale and stress levels seem shocking, all given to many authors each month hence face continual complaints of editorial mistakes, no stock anywhere, little marketing etc no one in production can keep up either. It's too demanding and we had low morale too.

Authors manuscripts are not read just piled up told how good the book is and then passed out for author contracts to be made up requesting money to invoicing.

There are little or no distributors set up abroad they say there is but there isn't. I often heard through grapevine that so called white lies are told about USA and Australia in particular!

Apprentices are hired under the guise of being trained for certain jobs, there is no training - they are passed around, given jobs that are not relevant to the subject and generally bullied so much so until like me, they just leave, under the realisation they were hired for cheap labour. This has affected my confidence, family life and mental well being. Staff crying most days.

The Accounts dept is full of stressed out people mostly shouting orders and there was no training in the dept, you are told not to enter if you don't belong. As for royalties I will leave it there.

Advice to Management

Start by treating authors with dignity tell them
    the truth about what they are purchasing when they enter contracts or bring in a proper experienced publishing management team who know how to deal with authors/staff fairly. Stop being irrational, controlling, bullish and threatening towards staff.

Time for serious change or shut the company. give training, support, to make a pleasant working atmosphere. No staff members will stay long if you carry on as is - faceless bullies, making lots of money from unsuspecting authors. My mother said "Its a comedy camp, one day someone will publish a book about Austin Macauley under the genre of horror stories" I doubt if they would publish that one!

"Exploitative and Irrational"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witchford, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Witchford, England

Pros

Surprisingly, the managers are good at employing nice, hard-working people. The comradery is the only thing that made a bad situation bearable.

Cons

The only thing the owners care about is getting authors to sign over their money. The contracts are where the money comes from, and the other departments are woefully understaffed and under-resourced. There are so many books released each month that the production department barely have time to do more than spell check each title. The marketing department is similarly over-worked. The entire workflow is focused on gathering the contracts, which means that the backlog continues to grow and the entire business plan in untenable in the long term.

The way the owners treat their staff is despicable. They are cruel and abusive, and exploit the staff as much as the authors. They refuse to listen to their staff and punish the slightest infringements to their increasingly irrational rules. They do not care about the quality of the books they produce, or for the welfare of their staff. That's why no one stays so more than a year.

Seriously, everyone should avoid them like the plague.

Advice to Management

Stop being so amoral and exploitative. Stop treating staff like dirt. Change the business plan so it isn’t so irrationally stupid. That way you can at least pretend to care without it being a joke.

9. "I love working at AM"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

Pros

Lovely colleagues
    Great publications
    Wonderful authors
    Nice working environment
    Supportive management

Cons

But far from Tesco! ... and that's about it!

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on!

"Employees and Authors Should Avoid it Like the Plague"

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time

Pros

As a rule, management tended to employ young, bright, friendly graduates who are enthusiastic and eager to get stuck in. That means the atmosphere and friendships between workers is genuine and easy to form.

Cons

Young bright workers are employed due to their lack of experience. Management knows that younger graduates or workers have little office experience and so can be taken advantage of and poorly compensated.
    Almost everything you are told at interview level is a lie. Employees are lied to as much as the authors at early stages - when I was employed, I believed that the Ely office was a smaller production office that supports the London headquarters. In reality, the London headquarters is nothing more than virtual office space. I also believed that submissions were considered equally and fairly and offered contracts based on their merit. In reality, most submissions are merely glanced at before being marked for contributory contracts. They are left in a pile for a few weeks to make authors believe they have been read and considered thoroughly before a generic letter asking for money is sent to the author. I was also shocked to discover that author’s contracts are signed by ‘chief editors’ who are either entirely fictional or pseudonyms. Editorial staff forge signatures for people who don’t exist on a daily basis to meet the high demand for contributory contracts.
    Very few employees at Austin Macauley are happy and wholly in the know about the unethical practices put into place by the company, but management manipulates, pressures and micro-manages employees to ridiculous standards until employees are left with no confidence to stand up for themselves. Before long, most workers are left with high levels of stress due to being forced to cheat authors out of money and low self-esteem regarding their work performance and I put this down to the bullying nature of management.
    Austin Macauley, at least when I was there, does not make money through book sales. They make profits through contributory contracts. They spend little to no money on quality marketing or production. Take a look at any legitimate publisher and you'll see that they barely publish as many books in one year as AM do in a month. The workload is too much for every department and impossible for most. Marketers have 20 or so books to promote each month, with zero budget and no information about the title. Mostly, they wind up fielding angry phone calls from rightly dissatisfied authors which can be incredibly distressing.
    The totalitarian nature of management is unreal. We were banned from making tea for other members of staff because it "wasted time", but it's really to stop departments from communicating with each other. Management attempted to dock bathroom breaks from some employee's allocated lunch times. Sick days or doctor’s appointments are met with distrust and much needed holidays are given begrudgingly. Constant paranoia and suspicion filters down from the office manager, making everybody under her uncomfortable and unhappy.
    Employee turnover is high and salary is low, with no structured scheme for raises or salaries within departments.
    Austin Macauley is quite simply an awful place to work. About 80% of employees quit before their first year is up and with good reason.

Advice to Management

You're already bullying authors out of their money. Is there any need to bully your employees as well?
    Take a reality check; your company is basically a scam.

"Terrible Place to Work"

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely colleagues, for the most part. There is a real sense of camaraderie amongst the team. Lots of socialising post-work, although admittedly this was largely in part due to the almost weekly "leaving drinks" (thanks to the excessively high staff turnover).

Cons

Appalling management. I have never worked with anybody less competent than the office manager who is a sociopathic bully vehemently disliked by all bar one or two sycophants naive enough to believe that feigning loyalty will result in some sort of personal gain.

Far from Canary Wharf, the company is headquartered within a dilapidated shed in Witchford. Although - in Austin Macauley's favour, whilst both the London and New York offices are entirely fictitious virtual offices there is a very real office in Pakistan. That's where the magic happens.

Staff are treated terribly and are excessively micromanaged. There has even been talk of limiting staff toilet breaks. Morale couldn't be lower - the office atmosphere is comparable to that of a morgue.

Apprentices are used inappropriately (read: slave labour) and account for at least 20% of the overall workforce. The rest of the staff are generally paid very poorly, with talented graduates barely scraping by on minimum wage.

The company's business practices are beyond unethical at best, and authors are treated as nothing more than glorified cash cows. Manuscripts aren't read and books are simply churned out, resulting in an unmanageable workload across the board. Nobody stays at Austin Macauley for long.

P.S - as the poster before me mentioned, the company bribes and threatens their way out of any online slurs. I expect that aforementioned sycophants will now be coaxed into publishing one or two glowing reviews in a botched attempt to dilute the depressing truth.

Advice to Management

Get out of bed and perhaps visit your company more than once a month. Management is doing an abhorrent job of steering a rapidly sinking ship and will bankrupt you within a matter of months unless you open your eyes. Read the 121's that have no doubt been hidden from you.