Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Their working environment is fantastic and I am very happy working here" (in 24 reviews)

• "Auto Trader have great people across the business who are a pleasure to work with" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not really a con, but we are a very fast-paced business & industry" (in 19 reviews)

• "Lots of pressure Work life balance was poor , emails at midnight etc" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"6 Months in..."

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fantastic brand and the opportunity to work alongside some of the most talented people I have ever come across. Working for Auto Trader, you feel part of something special from day one. I feel lucky to have found this business. The pace is crazy and every day is different but boring, it ain't. There is lots of opportunity to develop and a brilliantly supportive environment to grow in. It's refreshing to be in an environment where you very quickly grow to trust the leadership team and their decisions.

Cons

There aren't any. The pace takes some getting used to but it's only a 'con' if you're not up for the challenge.

2 May 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review, it sounds like "you're up for the challenge" when it comes to the pace! It's going to be another busy and exciting year, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.... More

2. "Graduate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with the graduate scheme so far is genuinely astounding. Auto Trader is shaping up to be the place that I'd always hoped I would work after I left University.

The emphasis on culture and values during the hiring was clear from the first day, everyone that I've met is friendly and approachable, including the Operational Leadership Team and the CEO.

The academy has been fantastic, as a developer I was unsure whether I would find it useful, but I've made some great friends and have a much deeper appreciation for the wider business than I otherwise would have.

Plus, free coffee, fruit and sweets!

Cons

Nothing negative to say so far!

13 Nov 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We're really pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience so far. It sounds like you're enjoying the mixture of time with your team... More

3. "Graduate Account Builder"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The graduate programme for any job role is a fab opportunity to learn and progress in a company that really values you as an individual! All the employees who work for the company are really eager to enhance your learning and progress. The graduate programme is a great way to gain an understanding of Auto Trader as a company, how the company works and how the business is structured. The academy gives you the education you need to be ready for your role, even if you have minimum experience.
    The company incorporates diversity and inclusion into every element of the business. The company values are a massive part of Auto Trader and if you believe you as an individual align to these values you are looking in the right place. Auto Trader as a company really invests its time and resources into you as a graduate and for someone coming into a graduate role I could not recommend it high enough!

Cons

If you do not like change and working at a fast pace, this may not be the company for you. However, this is not a 'con' as once you embrace it, you will love it!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your graduates! The academy is excellent and the individuals that have supported us within academy have been amazing!

13 Nov 2018 – Resourcing Partner

The Academy was designed to help graduates truly understand our customers, products and overall business before starting in the role. It's fantastic to hear you speak about it so positively; it... More

4. "Amazing company for a graduate"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really puts a lot of time and effort into training you as a new graduate employee. The "graduate scheme" is similar to other schemes in that it also spans two years but doesn't ask you to rotate around different departments and then to re-apply to continue working there. Instead, Auto Trader takes you on as a fixed employee from day 1 and there is no re-assessment at the end. You are part of the company and family from the get-go.

It's such a forward-thinking company who will listen to your opinion and really value you. Their working environment is fantastic and I am very happy working here.

Cons

I have only been in the company for a few months and as of yet I am still not to find any cons

5. "Graduate Account Builder"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Builder in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Builder in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is second to none, everybody is so welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble. The graduate programme sets you up with all of the knowledge you will need going into role.

Cons

Hard to think of cons, although, if you’re not willing to work hard then this is not the place for you.

12 Nov 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's fantastic to hear that you've received such a warm welcome.

You have picked up on the passion shown by people across Auto Trader. Regardless of job role, we know... More

6. "Graduate Academy"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Tester in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Tester in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and values adhered to at every level. Real focus on the person as much as their experience throughout the hiring process. Feeling of support and family from everyone I speak to. A CEO who I can approach and speak to like anyone else with full transparency at every level of the business. A real opportunity to influence the business internally and the automotive ecosystem as a whole to make it better for everyone involved.

Cons

Honestly, nothing so far. Entire experience has been amazing.

Advice to Management

Continue to push the values and culture, be transparent and make a real difference.

12 Nov 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so happy to hear that you have had such a great start to your career at Auto Trader.

You're right. Our values are important to us and... More

7. "You’re given the tools and trust to learn, develop and contribute to the company’s growth."

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, flat structure, lots of opportunity, flexible working and a good work life balance. Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Not massively social unless you’re in the agency sales team and are out with clients etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust employees to do their job to their best abilities. One of the strength of Auto Trader is that there’s very little micro management.

13 Nov 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

One of the things that's echoed across our employee reviews, is the friendly atmosphere. All of the pros listed are important but seeing... More

8. "The Best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Auto Trader for almost two years now and it just keeps getting better. Honestly, no two days have been the same! One of the things I enjoy most about working here is that one minute you could be talking to a customer about their strategy for the next quarter and your next meeting could be planning our annual pride celebrations!

Auto Trader actively encourages a culture that values diversity and inclusion and thanks to this I have learnt so much about different cultural backgrounds. A lot of people talk about how amazing our offices are (which they are!) but I believe it is the people here who honestly make Auto Trader the best place to work.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

19 Oct 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We're glad it keeps getting better!

Diversity and Inclusion are very important to us here, and it's great seeing it mentioned so positively by so many of our... More

9. "Passionate people & a supportive environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a real sense of community at Auto Trader, one that I've never experienced at previous companies. The company values play a massive part in this and you can see that people genuinely believe in them. In terms of the every day, it’s a place where things happen because people collaborate, and not because they hold a certain job title. It’s so refreshing!

The company provides lots of events throughout the year. I’ve particularly enjoyed the well-being sessions that have gone much further than the usual mental health discussions. Resilience workshops, financial health guidance and sleep workshops are just a few of the things I’ve attended. I have found the sessions really helpful and gained a better balance between work and home as a result.

I’ve also had the chance to attend a couple of external conferences. Having the chance to get out of the office and learn new things is a massive bonus. I’ve also benefitted from having a mentor as well. There are lots of ways for me to develop and grow in my role and I feel encouraged to do so. All in all, I think AT is a brilliant company to work for, I could n’t ask for better colleagues or a more supportive employer.

Cons

It's a fast-paced business and change happens frequently. Communication could be better but on the whole, no major grumbles!

22 Oct 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. Yes the values are a massive part of our culture and community here, and it's always good to hear such positive feedback about how much our colleagues share and live them... More

10. "Progressive company that wants to be the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Auto Trader for a long time and the company just keeps going from strength to strength and continues to grow and change to respond to developments in what people want from an employer, what our customers need and now how we should be a positive contributor to our community. It is not a very large company, so career progression can feel limited, but if you want to broaden out and get involved in new things this is encouraged. Whenever I think about leaving, I remember how lucky I am to have the autonomy and trust that I do and consider that the grass elsewhere is almost definitely a pale yellow in comparison.

Cons

Obviously, no company is perfect and there are some issues, probably mainly around communication. The pace of change can be fast and sometimes counter-intuitive so comms could probably be better, Although, that is probably true for 99.95% of companies.

Advice to Management

Try to free up some time to be more available, the meeting culture makes people seem inaccessible, even though in the main the leadership team are approachable.

5 Oct 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. With more than 10 years service here, it's great to read your views on how we have evolved as a business in how we address the needs of both our customers and... More