Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 22 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 12 reviews)

• The flat structure and joined up leadership can sometimes result in conflicting messages or decisions being slowed down (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great - it’s a very collaborative environment, plenty of opportunity to meet many interesting and passionate people. And it’s not all about work, there’s plenty of fun.

It’s not just all about cars - I was a bit apprehensive as someone who is not much of a car lover, but it’s not just full of die hard car enthusiasts and I find the work really interesting.

I enjoy the fast pace of work at AutoTrader - there’s certainly no time for boredom here. But at the same time, I think there’s a very good work-life balance - you won’t see people working at the office until late and I never feel pressured to do so.

Cons

Trying to do too much sometimes!

Advice to Management

Make sure that people feel rewarded for all the hard work that’s put in.

7 Apr 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are really glad you are glad you joined and you have got the chance to collaborate with so many passionate people while having some fun along the ... More

2. "Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Performance Partner in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Performance Partner in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring organisation that values opinions and promotes diversity. 44% of hires are women and many occupy senior roles within the business. Great benefits packages available and support from the business and it's leaders is always there.

Cons

There are no aspects of the company that can be seen as a con. From the inspirational workplaces to the friendliness it is all good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the high standards and continue to support and develop the workforce. Continue to bring more women into the business

3. "Great start to a career !"

Current Employee - Graduate Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AutoTrader has been a great place to work as a first job where you get lots of time to learn and get to know how things work whilst working on real, live projects from day one !

-There’s a lot of cutting edge and brand new tech at use within autotrader and increasingly innovation with some of that technology which it’s great to be apart of. There’s also a lot of opportunities to learn new languages and tools as part of the job !

- The graduate scheme has been an awesome experience and made a massive change for me both in and out of work. I’ve had the opportunity to work on skills outside of technology in and out of the office with experts from outside the company. Alongside these I've been able to go to schools, universities and events within the local community to share what we’re doing. This has made a huge difference in confidence and communication for me !

- The best thing about AutoTrader is the people. Anyone will take time out of their day to help you with anything throughout the company.

- Lots of trust put into teams to work autonomously and do the right things right !

Cons

Speed of change and structural change is very fast which isn't necessarily a bad thing but can make communication more difficult.

19 Jun 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review and for sharing your feedback on your experience here. It is great to hear that you have had such a positive start to your career. We like to think we have set up an ... More

5. "Heart's In the Right Place"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Manchester, England

Pros

They don't always get it right, they don't always follow through on promises, but I will tell you one thing about this company, their hearts are in the right place. They want to do the right things, they want to do them well, and I think this is what matters most.

Cons

Essentially no different from the above mentioned

6. "I love working for Auto Trader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely customer focused, maintain a high standard of working and support anyone who shows a commitment to develop within the company.

Cons

The elements related to annual salary reviews are not entirely clear and don't fully reflect performance.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent when explaining reasons for individual pay reviews.

30 May 2017 – Head of Resourcing & Development

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you love working for Auto Trader for so many years. Our focus on our customers but also our colleague's development are two important factors that make ... More

7. "Best Company I've Worked For"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forward thinking technology wise, bold, open to new ideas, building distinct culture. 22 years working in IT and AT is the best company I've worked for.

Cons

Flat structure leads to limited promotion opportunities. Over ambitious with the amount of work undertaken at any one time, doing less things at the same time would lead to better efficiency.

Advice to Management

Closer working between the upper management and the squad leads with better expectation management will give good improvements.

7 May 2017 – Head of Resourcing & Development

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that your experience as a long standing member of our team has been so positive. We all recognise our ambition so we should be making a conscious ... More

"Great people, good company, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a negative review overall, but it is probably the perfect company to go to if for example you're a graduate or someone with less than 3yrs experience. You will learn everything you need to learn in software development best practises, setting you up for life.

- they have a good set of values which help ensure that everyone is pretty great to work with at an individual level
    - for someone lacking experience or expertise, the company provides an amazing environment to improve your skillset
    - very laid back friendly work environment.
    - flexible working hours to fit around your personal life.
    - you're never more than a month or so away from a free bar!

Cons

- trying to be far too lean on staff. Expectations seem to remain the same while they strip squads back to the bare bones and then wonder why work is of a lower quality and people end up frustrated.
    - senior management is more often than not a hinderance, whilst displaying contradictory values to the company. Messages between CEO and squads seem to completely change.
    - you can quickly learn all there is technically to learn at the company, and then you end up stuck in your dayjob not learning anything new. Workload is too big to take time out yourself to experiment with new technologies, and there isn't a breadth of knowledge at the company to learn from.
    - there are a lot of buzzwords thrown around, which can get both tedious and a bit of a joke.
    - since the company floated, everything has become about squeezing every penny possible to keep the share price high.
    - To get promoted to management, you need to be a "yes" person that doesn't rock the boat. The second you start "trying to do the right thing" you know you'll be leaving the company within a year.
    - There is a clique in the senior technical staff which is impenetrable and omni-powerful based on decades of friendships and perhaps slightly outdated outlooks on the digital industry. The company could really benefit from hiring senior tech gurus from the likes of google etc to smash the clique apart.

12 Apr 2017 – Technology Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of Auto Trader has been negative around the areas you have highlighted. I want to address those concerns directly ... More

9. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

Pros

One of the best companies i have worked at, Salaries are very generous and the company are very rewarding - work hard play hard

Cons

Management could need a look at - Disagree with something

11 Mar 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Hope you got the chance to attend our Benefits Roadshows this week to find out about our new private medical benefit available now for everyone. Our management teams are ... More

"Amazing company, amazing opportunities, amazing people!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working here just under 3 months now and have loved every minute of the fast paced way that Auto Trader work!

The offices are fabulous and so are the people who work here. I love that fact that even in the short time I have been here I already know many people around the business who I wouldn't normally meet through my Company Induction, Diversity & Inclusion, and Brilliant Recruitment.

There is so much going on here and a lot to get involved with on a daily basis not matter what your job role is.

Cons

Auto Trader still seems to be going through a period of transition, which is fine and great to be involved with. However, there are a small amount of people around the business who do not share the company values which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. You've built a great place to work!

11 Feb 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. You have been involved in so much in just three months , it sounds like your Auto Trader adventure had a busy start. The business is always changing but we should all aim ... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant company to work for. As a working parent I find my role to have fab work/life balance!! The opportunities for growth and career are fabulous and within my time at AutoTrader I changed several job roles in which I loved them all - The management is very approachable and any problem you can speak to anyone and it will be resolved in a timely manner

Cons

The cons of working for Auto Trader are minimum and I enjoy my job otherwise I wouldn't bother making the 30 mile commute daily. Just a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Kepp doing what your doing!! Great job

11 Feb 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Balancing the needs of our busy lives is always a challenge so it is encouraging to hear that you are doing a great job at it. Hope you continue ... More