Auto Trader UK Reviews

Updated 4 Aug 2020

4.6
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed(in 33 reviews)

• "The above together with the great offices and lots of great people make AT the best company I’ve worked for(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 27 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great working environment with lots of opportunities to learn"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There’s always interesting work to pick up as a developer no matter what your level of experience is. And even when that task that you’ve done 10 times before lands on your desk again, you have the freedom to innovate and make it as interesting/challenging as you like. The tech is moving really fast (infrastructure, languages, frameworks) so there are high chances you’ll be constantly learning something new next to people that can help you improve. The above together with the great offices and lots of great people make AT the best company I’ve worked for.

Cons

Some times, people that could help you with something are so busy that they cannot spend time on doing so and that can slow things down a bit and be a bit frustrating.

January 6, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review; Freedom to innovate, constantly learning something new and working with great people sums it all up really well. Busy as we all can get we should all try and find time to help each other out so I hope there is more time to collaborate and share knowledge this year.

2. COVID-19

"You will struggle to find a better employer"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent Management Style - Truly live the values - Office Location - Loyalty - They look after their people I've only been with AT for 6 months now and honestly, at nearly 40 years old, I have found a job I can see myself retiring in. The management, at all levels, are approachable and I have never been made to feel like I'm putting people out. The company values are not just posters on the walls, they are lived! 3 weeks into my employment with AT we went in to lockdown, a traumatic time for most employees in the UK, especially for those who hadn't been with their company prior to the Government deadline of 29th February. I was well looked after and re-assured at every step that my job was safe. Approximately 3 weeks later we were put on furlough and again the same support and re-assurance continued. Now that we're working from home the company have recognised that people's mental and physical health can be impacted by the situation, they have done everything in their power to minimise the risk to us.

Cons

If I'm being nit-picky I would say the recruitment process is too long so prepare yourself for a 8-12 week process. Now that I am in the business though I can understand why, anyone willing to wait that long is showing they are prepared to commit to the company.

July 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you so much for your review and for sharing such a comprehensive view of working with us. Really glad to hear your experience is so positive especially during this time of a global crisis. Our colleagues have really come together and led by our company values supported each other. You make a good point about our recruitment process, we try to make sure that we give all candidates the chance to meet a few of our people and make an informed choice if they want to join us and that does have an impact on the duration. We are looking at ways to improving that without losing the benefits so if you have any ideas please share with our Resourcing team.

3. "It used to be a lot more fun"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Autotrader has historically been a very fun and interesting company to work for. Things change and they change fast, so you learn to think fast and be adaptable to constantly changing objectives. It's a good place to get work experience on your CV and to meet a variety of people. The company likes to spend money on fancy events and free food/gifts etc so that's enjoyable. If you don't have much experience or want a job to tread water in then it does pay better than general sales rep roles, though pay is widely varied in role.

Cons

It used to be amazing around 5 years ago, you would barely find a vacancy for an account manager and I remember someone saying "I've been waiting to progress but account managers never leave here." Fastforward and attrition has been extremely high since the restructure, one team lost 6 account managers last year. A previous negative review candidly explained the reasons, which was sadly but expectedly denied by HR, but I can confirm it's all true. High growth targets, yet constant retention and often abusive phonecalls, micromanagement like checking on call times to hit and toilet breaks, re-structure of the business purely to increase profit and facilitate rate rises as opposed to what's best for the customer etc. is all true. Team days stopped in 2019 not because of budget but because the sales tribe has turned into a call centre and staff are quite frankly under too much stress to celebrate. Account managers have become retention reps with high growth targets to sell anything to anyone. Yes you try to find the right fit for the customer but in reality it doesn't happen, the infamous calls of a manager shouting for X number of a product to be sold at the end of a week. The business is entirely focused on revenue and beating its competition, but the difficult conversations and staff turn over takes a toll on those wanting to do a good job. Several top performing account managers have left the business because their progression was simply the same role again but under a different title plus having to pay more travel expenses out of their own pocket. I had to pay up front to travel to customers and it cost a lot (yes you claim it back but it's not good). Everything stated here is a fact, the sales tribe has lost a lot of talent which is why the business has started to recruit people with very little experience who would jump at the opportunity or candidates who have said they don't want to progress. Graduates sometimes are paid more than account managers so it is a good opportunity for them.

4. "Values"

Current Employee - Delivery Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Amazing place to work. Care about the people they have and live by their Values

Cons

I have no cons about Auto Trader

July 16, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our values are constantly guiding us and especially during this time they helped us maintain the right focus on our people. Really glad you are enjoying working with us

5. COVID-19

"Always striving for a more diverse and inclusive culture"

Current Employee - PR Manager in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Auto Trader already has established networks within the company to represent and act as safe spaces for people spanning BAME, LGBTQ+, mental wellbeing, neurodiversity and environment. You're encouraged to get actively involved in any (or all) of the networks you are interested in, and the business seems committed to learning and improving its own practices to ensure a multicultural and diverse working force/ work culture. Many brands, especially in this current climate, are coming out to say they support diversity, however many fail in backing this up with action. I genuinely feel AT walks the walk as well as talks the talk. It is a genuine ally in D&I matters and has so many actions in place to deliver against this. Whilst the company is large with 100s of people, you don't feel like another cog in the machine. Its set up includes 'tribes' and 'squads' which splits the workforce into different, smaller working groups and allows for more individual development, whether career or personal-related. Auto Trader has really looked after its people during the COVID-19 outbreak. The offices in Manchester (HQ) and London are amazing! I'm looking forward to returning to them once lockdown restrictions further ease. The layout and interior design is very 'cool tech company' and designed to inspire creativity.

Cons

Very fast-paced but I find this exciting!

July 8, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our employee networks have been working tirelessly for the past six years, it is definitely not new to us, to create an inclusive culture so I am really pleased that your experience meets our aspirations. Recent events have made us reflect on our progress and we acknowledge that we need to do more. During this challenging time our work community has come together and our people have supported each other in truly heart warming ways. Communication when we are not in our offices can be tricky but like you say we need to work on it and improve it.

6. COVID-19

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK part-time for less than a year

Pros

• impressive leadership team • culture is genuine (it’s hard to describe how good it is) • way of thinking and decision making is very effective • delivery function is not found in many businesses and performs a very useful function • willingness to listen and adapt in light of evidence is very good, and led by the CEO

Cons

• Can sometimes move quite slowly

June 17, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you so much for your review. It can be hard to describe our culture but you did a good job highlighting some of the elements that make it brilliant. Our delivery function adds so much value to our business and we are lucky to have such a dedicated team. The current situation has challenged us all in different ways but it brought our work community even closer and the support colleagues give to each other is truly heart warming.

7. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - People and Culture in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at Auto Trader for almost 5 years now and having had a number of roles, I can honestly say that Auto Trader recognises the personal and professional development of their staff and provides all the possible tools to support you. With Diversity and Inclusion being at the heart of the business, it's refreshing to know that i can be my whole, true self at work. Auto Trader recognises everyone's differences and celebrates them all. I can't imagine working anywhere better

Cons

Although i like the fast pace environment and i like change, not everyone might.

June 11, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you have been enjoying working with us for five years, you are able to be your true self and develop professionally. Fast paced and ever evolving are definitely characteristics that keep our business successful. But, we always try to find time to relax as well.

8. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very inclusive and care about their employees

Cons

There is none, I love it

June 10, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have created an inclusive culture and work hard to nurture it. During this challenging time our colleagues have come together and strengthened our caring work community. Good to hear you are loving working with us!

9. "Incredible company"

Current Employee - Graduate

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly inclusive working conditions and accessible for all including those with disabilities and neurodiverse conditions - Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues - Flat hierarchy structure and hot desking system which creates a casual environment - Loads of benefits - Always open to criticism and continuing to change when necessary - Working groups and networks for people to fundraise for causes they care about - Offices in both Manchester and London meaning that there are often opportunities to travel between the two (could be a con for some people but I enjoy it)

Cons

- Can't think of any to report on!

June 2, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working with us. We have partnered with various charities and our colleagues from our Disability & Neurodiversity Network are constantly working to maintain an inclusive working environment. But our job is not done and as you say we are open to more ideas, criticism and we will continue to change.

10. "A great supportive culture, in a dynamic and fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Communications Director in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a highly dynamic and collaborative company that fosters true autonomy and responsibility. It acknowledges your skill sets and allows you to develop in a plethora of ways.

Cons

It's extremely fast paced and decisions change constantly, which can be hard for some to manage. But it does mean things get done and the business is constantly moving forwards.

April 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have brilliant people in our teams and trusting them with autonomy and responsibility comes easy. Moving fast and not being afraid to pivot has been key to our success and allows us to keep moving. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time working with us.

Found 292 reviews