Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Management are pinnacle to the great working environment (in 23 reviews)

• Some great people and great products (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of pressure Work life balance was poor , emails at midnight etc (in 9 reviews)

• It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great - it’s a very collaborative environment, plenty of opportunity to meet many interesting and passionate people. And it’s not all about work, there’s plenty of fun.

It’s not just all about cars - I was a bit apprehensive as someone who is not much of a car lover, but it’s not just full of die hard car enthusiasts and I find the work really interesting.

I enjoy the fast pace of work at AutoTrader - there’s certainly no time for boredom here. But at the same time, I think there’s a very good work-life balance - you won’t see people working at the office until late and I never feel pressured to do so.

Cons

Trying to do too much sometimes!

Advice to Management

Make sure that people feel rewarded for all the hard work that’s put in.

7 Apr 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are really glad you are glad you joined and you have got the chance to collaborate with so many passionate people while having some fun along the... More

2. "Awesome place to start career!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have thoroughly loved my graduate journey with AutoTrader since October. The people in my squad are lovely and great to get along with as well, whilst also offering excellent support and training to get me up to speed on the job. I would recommend it to anyone - especially a graduate. The office is great and there seems to be a friendly culture. As a graduate group we have been able to organise a Q&A session with the CEO, which is unheard of at other companies. The flat hierarchy allows for collaboration amongst many different areas of the business and enables me to develop as a developer, but also as a great employee. The option to go and talk at conference and careers events is another awesome bonus. The Academy is a useful way to get all the graduates sharing their skills and strengthening our network in the business.

Cons

More interaction with my technical team at the start of the graduate journey, but other than that no complaints!

Advice to Management

None- Trevor (CEO) seems to be doing a great job and is easy to access.

"Proud to work for this company"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Auto Trader is a company which truly lives its values and I am proud to work here. People here are friendly, down-to-earth and always willing to help. Even though you're a graduate you get to work on 'real problems' which is absolutely amazing.
    The learning opportunities here are endless and I can't wait to explore more of the business.

Cons

At the moment there is nothing negative to say about Auto Trader.

2 Feb 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's so nice to read reviews from our graduates, and it's great to see how quickly they have settled here and how they feel proud to be part of the Auto Trader family!... More

"A fully immersive graduate programme"

Current Employee - Graduate Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very fast paced. Things are changing very quickly around here. This might be a massive con for people who are not ready to actually do some real work.

- Fantastic culture. Literally every single employee is approachable, friendly and embodies the company values. Might sound like a massive cliche, but most employees really do believe in the company values and we work towards the goal of making Auto Trader even better - for consumers, for dealers and for ourselves.

- Great rewards. The company does not save money on its employees. You get loads of benefits, freebies, free fruit and drinks every day. Also, there is loads of entertainment - Christmas parties, Tribe days, Squad lunches etc. Lots of delicious food can be often found around the office :D

- Especially for graduates and apprentices, there are fantastic opportunities to find their passion and shift your career in that direction. Just because you start working here as a Test Analyst, it doesn't mean you couldn't transfer to a developer role. If you are willing to learn, the sky is the limit here (in terms of personal development).

- Incredible management team (CEO + all of the OLT members). I've never seen a company where CEO will be happy to have a chat with you - and it absolutely does not matter if you are an apprentice, graduate or brand director.

- Everyone's input is valued and respected.

- Great support from your peers, mentors or anyone else in the business. You won't be thrown into the deep end alone - expect to have some support in the beginning. Though, this doesn't mean it will be easy. I find that the learning curve (for tech) is quite steep here.

- The AT Academy offered exposure to different aspects of the business. Working in a tech role, I was exposed to different client-facing and sales techniques. At first, it might seem a bit irrelevant to my roles, but later down the road the dots will connect. Actually tech people being exposed to the sales & service side of the business is incredibly useful when building new products for our customers. You get different perspectives and opinions.

- Great work/life balance. No one expects you to do overtime here. In some squads (teams) you can also have flexible working hours which can be sometimes nice if you want to sleep in a little longer. But this will depend solely on how your squad operates. I know this is not always possible for customer-facing roles.

Cons

- Flat organisational structure might be confusing at times. Especially for developers & tech tribe in general, sometimes things can get out of control as some Product leads are not as invested as they should be in this amazing culture.

- Progressing upwards the career ladder might be more difficult due to the flat structure. Not impossible, but if you want to be a manager by the end of year 2 - you might want to rethink this. The progression is more "horizontal" rather than "vertical", which, in my opinion, is quite good for people starting their career.

Advice to Management

Stay inspirational, stay curious and stay humble.

2 Feb 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It provides a lot of insight into how we work here at Auto Trader, which I am sure would be useful for potential graduate applicants considering... More

6. "A genuinely great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely open and friendly workforce, strong personal development planning from the outset, actual responsibility straight away, a culture that actually makes sense and is rooted in the goals and objectives of the business.

As a company Auto Trader are a lot different to others that I've been at. For me, it's been a lot easier to be passionate and proud of the work that I've done here as you're given real ownership over what you do and see the results of it quickly.

Cons

In all honesty I've not come across any downsides to the organisation itself as of yet. People will still experience personal stresses from deadlines etc but this is to be expected in any company.

2 Feb 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you so much for your review. It's great to read how much you're enjoying the culture here. "Pride" is a word that we so often hear around here, and people genuinely are passionate about the... More

"Forward thinking, people centred organisation"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is one of the biggest things you feel when you start, and everyone makes you feel so welcome.
    The values aren't just writings on the wall, like we've all seen in organisations before, but they are truly embedded in your day to day working life.
    Face paced, you never get chance to get bored.
    It's a flat structure so you can approach anyone about anything.
    The office space is amazing.

Cons

Being a flat structure it is sometimes a bit hard to see where you want to aim for and how to get there.
    The fast pace can also be a bit hard at times, but it's best to embrace it.
    Your career path is down to you to shape, so you can sometimes not know where to start.

Advice to Management

A little more guidance could be used to help shape peoples futures.

19 Jan 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful that you feel so welcome here. Our graduates have made a great start, and we know 2018 will hold many opportunities to continue your development and really... More

"Great place for graduates"

Current Employee - Graduate in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Graduate in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career opportunities are massive
    The people are great
    Canteen is amazing
    The best culture

Cons

None to be honest. Everything is great

Advice to Management

N/A

19 Jan 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. We're glad everything is great for you!
    2018 will be full of more opportunities to learn and develop, so make most of them.

I agree, the canteen is amazing as well as... More

9. "Genuine culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic, forward-thinking company with exciting work at the forefront of the automotive industry marketplace. Great to be involved with a website that is constantly looking to improve. The flat structure means you can genuinely collaborate with other departments, and it is encouraged. Management styles from previous jobs simply looks archaic in comparison to AutoTrader.

Cons

if you are customer based, be prepared for difficult conversations (as well as the good).

Advice to Management

Keep squads/tribes updated with company direction and strategy.

19 Jan 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you're enjoying how we work, which is great to read!

Collaboration is very important to us, which as you say really works well here... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - CXO Delivery Manager in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - CXO Delivery Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a great culture. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills across the different product areas and role types throughout the business. If you show willing, they will let you try something.

Cons

Sometimes things can be pushed through too fast, without following process - but usually if you fight your case to the right people they will support you to do the right thing. It would be interesting to understand how salaries compare across the industry but in terms of general working environment it's great.

Advice to Management

OLT should spend more time among their teams. I understand that they are busy people, but those who are 'doing the do' know the products and processes inside out and more visibility of Management would be beneficial to both parties.

8 Jan 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It's always good to hear people are enjoying the culture and environment here at Auto Trader. Equally, it's great that you are finding the... More

11. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Great offices, Great social

Cons

Lack of structure leads to confusion

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

8 Jan 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's great to see you like the environment and culture here at Auto Trader.

We'd like to think everyone has a voice here at Auto Trader and can share their views and... More