Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 22 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes tipped a bit too far towards work (in 7 reviews)

• It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great - it’s a very collaborative environment, plenty of opportunity to meet many interesting and passionate people. And it’s not all about work, there’s plenty of fun.

It’s not just all about cars - I was a bit apprehensive as someone who is not much of a car lover, but it’s not just full of die hard car enthusiasts and I find the work really interesting.

I enjoy the fast pace of work at AutoTrader - there’s certainly no time for boredom here. But at the same time, I think there’s a very good work-life balance - you won’t see people working at the office until late and I never feel pressured to do so.

Cons

Trying to do too much sometimes!

Advice to Management

Make sure that people feel rewarded for all the hard work that’s put in.

7 Apr 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are really glad you are glad you joined and you have got the chance to collaborate with so many passionate people while having some fun along the ... More

2. "Good and bad."

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is fantastic. It offers a great place to come each day. The facilities are second to none. There is an attempt to create a real culture of care and fun whilst doing great work.
    Great development in the use of data and insight, and how to develop this for CX. Awesome projects to get involved with including charity work, learning and development.
    Some outstanding talent in the building and in the leadership team. The concierge team make the place, without them it wouldn't have half the appeal

Cons

There are some managers who are not experienced to wield the power they do. They use bullying and fear to control their team/department.
    At times positions are ear marked for people without any opening to apply for.
    Operations is run so differently to tech department. Most of the investment and promotion is in tech operations can seem like an after thought. Like when the new AT way was launched it was done so without representation form operations side.
    Seems to be a culture of who you know not what you know. if you have an issue going to people services makes this worse as they do not always keep it confidential. This then makes managers punish their staff even if it's something simple like excluding them from activities.
    No exit interviews if they don't want you to have one they usher you out quietly.
    Senior management missing from the operation
    Development is again based on favoiritsm. Clear examples of this during my time
    Redundancy is always looming so don't get too comfortable .

Advice to Management

Look at your managers and what they do. Don't respond with "go to people operations" as this makes things worse

Be clear on operational promotion availability as it is very narrow and sparse.
    Reward your AS advisors a lot more they do the work of an AM every day but you pay no attention to this.

Keep developing in data and insight.

Look after all your people work out plans in advance for redeployment to other areas rather than offer redundancy.

Some people can work from home some can't even in same role. Just depends on & if you are liked

Do more to combat bullying in the workplace. Ive seen it. People see it. It is prevelant in some small areas, not all, and in some squads, not all. but no one does anything. I'm sure you will say it's not the culture you have etc.... my experience is, it is for some people, for some people who don't like confrontation or a battle everyday.

people vicious to bring others down and not the most professional company. Private conversations regularly spread around the business even from senior management. I have seen this first hand.

Certain teams do outstanding work but are not recognised, why? Same people rewarded usually and this can cause issues.

Make the OLT more visable on the floor not just when it's time for business reviews.

"Great people, good company, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a negative review overall, but it is probably the perfect company to go to if for example you're a graduate or someone with less than 3yrs experience. You will learn everything you need to learn in software development best practises, setting you up for life.

- they have a good set of values which help ensure that everyone is pretty great to work with at an individual level
    - for someone lacking experience or expertise, the company provides an amazing environment to improve your skillset
    - very laid back friendly work environment.
    - flexible working hours to fit around your personal life.
    - you're never more than a month or so away from a free bar!

Cons

- trying to be far too lean on staff. Expectations seem to remain the same while they strip squads back to the bare bones and then wonder why work is of a lower quality and people end up frustrated.
    - senior management is more often than not a hinderance, whilst displaying contradictory values to the company. Messages between CEO and squads seem to completely change.
    - you can quickly learn all there is technically to learn at the company, and then you end up stuck in your dayjob not learning anything new. Workload is too big to take time out yourself to experiment with new technologies, and there isn't a breadth of knowledge at the company to learn from.
    - there are a lot of buzzwords thrown around, which can get both tedious and a bit of a joke.
    - since the company floated, everything has become about squeezing every penny possible to keep the share price high.
    - To get promoted to management, you need to be a "yes" person that doesn't rock the boat. The second you start "trying to do the right thing" you know you'll be leaving the company within a year.
    - There is a clique in the senior technical staff which is impenetrable and omni-powerful based on decades of friendships and perhaps slightly outdated outlooks on the digital industry. The company could really benefit from hiring senior tech gurus from the likes of google etc to smash the clique apart.

12 Apr 2017 – Technology Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of Auto Trader has been negative around the areas you have highlighted. I want to address those concerns directly ... More

5. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

Pros

One of the best companies i have worked at, Salaries are very generous and the company are very rewarding - work hard play hard

Cons

Management could need a look at - Disagree with something

11 Mar 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. Hope you got the chance to attend our Benefits Roadshows this week to find out about our new private medical benefit available now for everyone. Our management teams are ... More

"Amazing company, amazing opportunities, amazing people!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working here just under 3 months now and have loved every minute of the fast paced way that Auto Trader work!

The offices are fabulous and so are the people who work here. I love that fact that even in the short time I have been here I already know many people around the business who I wouldn't normally meet through my Company Induction, Diversity & Inclusion, and Brilliant Recruitment.

There is so much going on here and a lot to get involved with on a daily basis not matter what your job role is.

Cons

Auto Trader still seems to be going through a period of transition, which is fine and great to be involved with. However, there are a small amount of people around the business who do not share the company values which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. You've built a great place to work!

11 Feb 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your review. You have been involved in so much in just three months , it sounds like your Auto Trader adventure had a busy start. The business is always changing but we should all aim ... More

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant company to work for. As a working parent I find my role to have fab work/life balance!! The opportunities for growth and career are fabulous and within my time at AutoTrader I changed several job roles in which I loved them all - The management is very approachable and any problem you can speak to anyone and it will be resolved in a timely manner

Cons

The cons of working for Auto Trader are minimum and I enjoy my job otherwise I wouldn't bother making the 30 mile commute daily. Just a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Kepp doing what your doing!! Great job

11 Feb 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Balancing the needs of our busy lives is always a challenge so it is encouraging to hear that you are doing a great job at it. Hope you continue ... More

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Auto Trader have great people across the business who are a pleasure to work with. We are all trusted to do the job we are employed to do and given the autonomy to succeed on projects small to large. We have fab offices and lots of great benefits and there are lots of things to get involved with outside of our standard roles if we wish (charity guild, social guild etc).

Cons

Honestly can’t think of any, my commute is longer than I would like but at the end of the day, that is a personal choice.

Advice to Management

Carry on as you are, I really admire the honesty of senior management when they talk at big functions (employee conference etc) and do guest blogs on our internal portal, it is refreshing.

18 Jan 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. We couldn't agree more about the great people we have across the business. There is definitely some great stuff to get involved in outside of your role, and hopefully, we ... More

"Awesome company, awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People, values and product. The company has transformed over the 8 and half years I have been with it, always striving for better and keeping the staff number one

Cons

None for me, except a personal is the commute as distance i live away from it, but worth it for job and the company

Advice to Management

Keep it up and keep motivating your teams!

18 Jan 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for the awesome review! The company certainly has transformed over the years, and it's nice to hear that you are enjoying the whole experience, after more than 8 years here. I appreciate ... More

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Security Administrator in Newton-le-Willows, England
    Former Employee - Security Administrator in Newton-le-Willows, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK (Less than a year)

Pros

Really look after staff, lovely place to work. will push employees to advance and are great for training etc. Wish I was still there!

Cons

I didn't get to stay because my contract ended and the company was moving offices!

18 Jan 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your review of your time here. We're glad you had a good experience whilst here. We wish you all the best with your career.

"Great company, good job."

Current Employee - Professional Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Professional Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of experienced engineers to collaborate with, and learn from.

Cons

Really easy not to self learn, and instead have the answers served on a plate; in view to just getting things done.

18 Jan 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for the review. We are all about collaboration, so it's good to hear that you are embracing that experience. There is always loads to learn whether from colleagues or other resources so do ... More