Auto Trader UK Reviews

Found 291 of over 359 reviews

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues(in 36 reviews)

• "Great people , supportive work environment(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

A great place to work

Jan 26, 2021 - Graduate Business Analyst in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

After joining Auto Trader on the graduate schemes last year, and despite starting remotely, I am really enjoying my time so far. Some highlights below: - A large and supportive team of learning + development staff who deliver fantastic workshops and do a brilliant job - A genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion - Fantastic array of opportunities to grow outside of the day-to-day role - Everyone, irrespective of seniority, is approachable and friendly - It is an exciting and fast paced environment to work in - Great benefits and perks, such as a generous annual leave allowance and competitive salary - Leadership are transparent and have been quick to update us during the pandemic (I’ve known that shortly after a government announcement, an update will follow from the OLT within a matter of hours) - Support for working from home e.g. high spec monitor, desk chair etc. - An immensely knowledgable, industry-leading base of employees who always make time to share their support and mentor And many more pros...I look forward to building my career at Auto Trader.

Cons

- It can be hard to pin people down, especially remotely, given the amount of meetings / how busy everyone is. - Starting remotely has been difficult (no fault of Auto Trader of course). It can be slow to get started in role as a result of not being physically in the office and around the team

6 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You were faced with a unique challenge at the start of your graduate career, and it sounds like you've put your heart into making the very best of this situation. The resilience showed by our graduate cohort, coupled with the dedication of all the people who guide and nurture our future talent community, is a beautiful example of our culture. Dealing with the physical separation from our colleagues has been challenging, and inevitably we're all spending more time in meetings. We hope that you get to experience the buzz of the office and the joy of dropping by your colleague's desk and making things happen in the not too distant future.

2. 5.0

Top people, top company

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People are great - Leadership team is very approachable - New starter process is excellent, feel welcomed and well informed very quickly - Clear communications - Office is fantastic

Cons

Whilst I have been at this company, i have not yet found any cons

3. 5.0

Really welcoming!

Jul 29, 2021 - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Everyone is super friendly and supportive -Company is very switched on when it comes to social and environmental issues -Empowers it's employees -Office is very clean and modern

Cons

-Induction was all online but understandable due to current circumstances

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic employer, forward thinking, supportive

Jul 14, 2021 - Resource Partner in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are what make Auto Trader, I work amongst some of the nicest people I have ever met. Everyone I work with is always so supportive and want you to do well, no question is ever a bad or silly question. You can rely on your colleagues for support and lots of people have built some great friendships here. Its a place you will never stop learning and success. If you want to develop your career it is a wonderful place to be, Auto Trader provide the foundations and support for just that and I am so glad I came here.

Cons

Never enough time in the day but it means always challenged and that is not a bad thing!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great company to work for

Jul 29, 2021 - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people - Can see opportunity - Values are at the heart of Auto Trader and its people - Great on boarding process

Cons

Interview process online (Not Auto Traders fault), this made it feel a bit more lengthy than it actually was and starting from home also was difficult (Again not ATs fault).

6. 4.0

Structured development

Jul 30, 2021 - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Autotrader have a structured program which is a very good start for anyone coming out of Uni. Nevertheless, they welcome all candidates including those who have been in employment previously. The delivery of the Academy at the start is a good way to ease into the business and its culture

Cons

Academy may be a bit long for someone who is eager to start their role, but once it has been done, it is done and you move on!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, culture and people!

Apr 12, 2021 - Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A fast-paced ever-changing environment is something you definitely expect in not only a constantly changing marketplace but a digital business. Auto Trader is adaptable to understanding, learning and changing which makes this place awesome and allowing people to have a voice, learn every day and speak to people you would never normally interact with in your day to day. Like with anything, you need to drive your own growth and development and put yourself out there. Although recognition is high, being entrepreneurial, creative and strategic helps you and the business at the same time. I don't think there are many businesses out there that you could work for and really make a difference every single day to both colleagues and customers. Managers do listen and will help you with vested interest and care and I found being very open and honest from the start has always done me well as the company knows what I need, and how to use my strengths while bringing up my weaknesses. The pandemic tested every business in the UK and Auto Trader proved to both its customers and its colleagues that it is here to support . You just cant ask for more when it comes to this.

Cons

Depending on what you class as progression, it can sometimes be difficult to move forward due to a lean environment but as I said, it depends on what you want.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The satisfaction you take from your role is evident, and it's fantastic to hear about the impact you have on our customers. Keep up the good work!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Just not for me, I felt like a bit of a burden on the team

Jul 21, 2021 - Engineer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Up to date tech stack in most areas Use of macbook pros throughout the business Knowledge to improve your CV and make you stand out to other businesses

Cons

On call - this was brought up numerous times but shot down as what was suggested 'hadn't worked in the past' but note this was with different people. We were on call for 7 days once every 5 weeks, No additional pay, no time back unless one individual incident took over 2 hours to resolve, still alerted during the day and expected do deal with it if you were set as on call. It just didn't work really and no real plans to change it even when it was discussed multiple times. Old hat employees - groups are very clicky in some areas. I was told day 1 "we will have lunch together today, but from then one you have to sort yourself out" or along those lines, and wasn't invited to lunch again or made to feel welcome in general tbh. Judgemental culture, not much more to day tbh. Senior management hypocritical, managers crying in all hands about the results from employee surveys etc as they were so bad. Yet next day in the queue for lunch, totally blank you when one on one. That's the culture of this place in a nut shell. It's all 'face', behind closed doors it can be a not very pleasant place to work for some people. Covid not handled the best in my opinion - I had covid (in the very early days - march 2020) and I don't believe it was handled well personally at all. I feel i'm entitled to my opinion and I don't need a reply to this. I had some very difficult discussions with HR and senior management when I left. I do not need to insulted any more. I acknowledge I had a rough ride and departments throughout the business do differ but it shone a light on how things are actually dealt with and the outcome was not good for me.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Simply the best

Jun 14, 2021 - Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaboration, innovation, connected, forward thinking and inclusive. This company is not for the faint hearted, it requires you to be bold , determined and tenacious in your approach. Educating customers to change the way they work inline with the changing consumer demand. The culture is what I’m proud of, having a passion to promote from within . Giving people the autonomy to voice their opinions, allowing the business and our retailers the ability to grow quickly. AT have managed the pandemic extremely well, with a caring approach to staff and a forward thinking approach to product launches, allowing us to build amazing relationships internal and external.

Cons

Apart from the coffee choices I would struggle.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. When we set out to improve the process of buying and selling vehicles in the UK, we knew that we had a challenging journey ahead of us. Educating retailers and consumers on the benefits of digitalisation requires resilience, initiative and determination, qualities our talented community of account managers and directors have in spades. Internal progression remains a key priority for us, and there is nothing we love more than to see our employees develop their careers. You'll be pleased to know that the new coffee shop we built in the office during lockdown serves a delightful cup, so there are no worries on that front!

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company but Account Manager role is tough

Apr 4, 2021 - Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has taken great care in creating a culture of caring for their staff, they are forward thinking with lots of perks and nice offices etc. I would highly recommend working for Auto Trader in any other role than Account Manager.

Cons

My experience of working as an internal account manager was not what I expected, given my previous experience in similar roles. The reality is taking a lot of inbound customer support and retention calls a call centre environment. Unfortunately a high proportion of car dealerships dislike Auto Trader, meaning that Account Managers are are on the front line of taking a lot of anger. Selling to people in that mindset makes it a very tough job and it’s overwhelming to even the strongest of people. Being the primary touch point with the companies customers there isn’t much trust in the Account Management teams. Often being the last in the business to learn about big changes, so its difficult to have any real impact aside from hitting your sales targets. It does feel like they are treated as disposable, with high staff turnover. If you’re used to call centres the role could be right for you.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear your positivity for our culture and that you’d recommended Auto Trader as a place to work. I’m sorry to hear that your expectations of the role haven’t been met, and I’d like to offer another viewpoint on some of your comments. We have a diverse range of customers, all of whom have different business models, goals, and pain points. This means that our Account Managers handle various enquiries, and there are times when their resilience and problem-solving skills are key to a progressive conversation. I acknowledge that not every customer is satisfied 100% of the time, but we know most of our customers feel very positive about Auto Trader. Over the past 12 months, we’ve offered an unprecedented level of support to our customers, and we’ve received extremely positive feedback as a result. We work closely with the recruitment team to paint a transparent picture of the role, from the job advert and at each stage of the assessment experience. If you have any ideas on improving, I'd encourage you to contact the team or me directly. We hold ourselves to high standards regarding internal communication to communicate via multiple channels from weekly update emails, a weekly CEO video, and manager briefings. I’m disappointed to hear that you’re not getting the information you need, given everything that is in place. I hope that you feel encouraged by our open and collaborative culture to speak to me directly, as I genuinely would love the opportunity to understand your points further. Thanks for sharing and very best regards, Rebecca Clark

Viewing 1 - 10 of 291 Reviews