Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great working environment and inspirational colleagues (in 23 reviews)

• Great people, Great attitude towards work and very consumer focussed (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • This comes at the expense of client relationships and work life balance for staff (in 8 reviews)

• It's a fast paced environment that looks like it is evolving on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are great - it’s a very collaborative environment, plenty of opportunity to meet many interesting and passionate people. And it’s not all about work, there’s plenty of fun.

It’s not just all about cars - I was a bit apprehensive as someone who is not much of a car lover, but it’s not just full of die hard car enthusiasts and I find the work really interesting.

I enjoy the fast pace of work at AutoTrader - there’s certainly no time for boredom here. But at the same time, I think there’s a very good work-life balance - you won’t see people working at the office until late and I never feel pressured to do so.

Cons

Trying to do too much sometimes!

Advice to Management

Make sure that people feel rewarded for all the hard work that’s put in.

7 Apr 2017 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are really glad you are glad you joined and you have got the chance to collaborate with so many passionate people while having some fun along the... More

2. "An Awesome Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Account Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many career progression opportunities, it's hard not to be excited
    Fantastic culture and values within the organisation
    The best office you will step in! It is really cool
    Everyone is friendly
    Work life balance is really important to this company
    You will genuinly love working here

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you guys are doing. You are great!

3. "Best Company I've worked for!!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an apprentice i found Auto trader to the perfect fit.
    It has plenty of learning and development opportunities, for example they give you time and support/ mentor to develop your self and learn more.
    And the people are friendly and supporting and it's not all about work, you can have a lot of fun in the games room, or join any of the many clubs.

Cons

Having a lot on your plate sometimes

5 Oct 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. It's nice to hear that you have settled in so well to the apprenticeship scheme. We have some great, highly talented apprentices here and it's great that you are making the... More

5. "Great support for apprentices!"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are really what makes Auto Trader a great place to work. Everyone you meet is approachable and more than happy to help, no matter how senior they are.

Having done apprenticeships at other companies in the past, I can honestly say that the support Auto Trader give to their apprentices is second to none. Apprentices are given technical buddies and mentors, as well as time each week to work on their development.

The offices are amazing too!

Cons

Struggling to think of any cons as my experience so far has been great!

5 Oct 2017 – Resourcing Partner

It's fantastic to read such great reviews from our apprentices. We're so pleased you're enjoying the experience and the culture. We hope you continue to learn and become even more awesome!... More

6. "Culture not consistent"

I worked at Auto Trader UK (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people and great products

Cons

Whilst there are some great people at Auto Trader unfortunately more senior management are not wholly submerged in the culture, they agree openly so the they look good to their bosses but talk about staff behind their backs, don’t really care and have their own agenda. This comes at the expense of client relationships and work life balance for staff. You need to give up a social or family life if you want to succeed.

Advice to Management

Take a look at some of the managers and honestly ask why they are there and what do they bring? They are holding back creative people who really care.

7. "Culture is King"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

I've worked in other businesses that aspire to have the type of agility, engagement and values that run right through their core in the next 5 to 10 years. Which is great to hear. The difference is, AutoTrader are already there.

We "fail fast" - let's listen to our people and run with an idea. But the great thing is if we acknowledge it's not working, we quickly move on, rather than dragging out something due to restraints or commitments.

Fresh ideas, highly motivated people and a market leader practicing Lean, innovative and ultimately very humble ways of thinking and working.. What's not to love!

Cons

As you'd expect, the pace of our business is rapid. I don't see this as a negative, but it might not suit everyone or may at least take some getting used to.

However, anyone with great ideas and the desire to really want to show their talents and learn will embrace this very quickly.

5 Oct 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Culture is most certainly King, and massively important to us! We're glad to read that you are enjoying our fast-paced, agile environment. It's also great that you are enjoying the benefits of being... More

8. "A fantastic Business to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Excellent Culture
    - Outstanding offices and environment
    - Hugely successful business model
    - Popular and trusted brand
    - Huge opportunity to develop your career
    - Genuinely helpful and welcoming people at all levels
    - A leadership team who genuinely want to do the right things in the right way (and will admit if in hindsight they could have done things better)

Cons

Arguably the best bit!
    - It's a fast paced company that thrives on making frequent changes so be prepared to move around, work with new people, focus on different initiatives and not sit still.
    - career opportunities and help with development are there for everyone but it's down to you to take ownership, it won't just land in your lap

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right things for the right reasons, continue to learn from the past challenges we've faced, continue to be the great Business we are and take advantage of the new opportunities that exist in our market.

12 Sep 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for the review and the positive comments about our exciting culture and environment. We definitely don't like to sit still, and agree with you that we should always seek opportunities to... More

"Not all it is cracked up to be"

Former Employee - User Experience Developer in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - User Experience Developer in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking company, good benefits.

Cons

Very quick to discard you, if it saves them money, very Politicly Correct, lots of the tech leads have personality problems.

Advice to Management

You still have not learned how to be nice to staff & customers.

12 Sep 2017 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We generally have a lot of positive feedback about the culture, the great tech teams, and approachable management we have here and are... More

"Arrogant company that does not value staff or customers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice decor in office, albeit no atmosphere and dull

Cons

If you are a graduate and eager to learn its perfect, and before you know any better

Management talk the talk that its a great culture and everyone has autonomy but this could not be further from the truth. Even though you are the expert in your field, you are told what to do and if you don't do as you are told you will be managed out. You work at a crazy pace and beyond normal working hours, however salary increases are laughable and bonuses do not exist - they don't 'believe' in bonuses or rewarding staff, although management do receive bonuses. After the company floated on the stock exchange it has got worse, they don't care about employees only profits. Staff give feedback in meetings or via company surveys and nothing has changed, if anything it has got worse. Many senior managers are arrogant and patronising, so unless you are a yes person who does as they are told, you will not fit in. Time to update my CV and get my confidence back, not that they will care.

Advice to Management

Its pointless, they have been given feedback over the years and nothing changes, too busy lining their pockets for early retirement.

29 Sep 2017 – CEO

Am deeply saddened to read this review. We certainly believe in autonomy and 100% believe that the culture of the company is at the heart of the company's overall success - there is literally... More

11. "A great company to grow in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to develop your skills no matter what area of business you align yourself to and even open your eyes to alternative roles which you may never have thought about. They actively encourage a culture that values diversity and inclusion and it feels like they are trying to blend the boundaries of work/life balance to make people feel like they don't have to be separate.
    They honestly do have some great people working here and you really get to see this with the company's emphasis on collaborative ways of working across teams.

Cons

Due to the lean nature of the business, you will probably have to work harder here and at a faster pace compared to other companies. This is not to say it isn't recognised, but, if you prefer to coast, it would not be for you.

Advice to Management

Don't take the lean ways of working too far.