Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "auto trader"

Updated Aug 13, 2021

Found 76 of over 396 reviews

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Working at Auto Trader has helped accelerate my career substantially(in 72 reviews)

• "Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues(in 37 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Extremely fast paced, but exciting(in 30 reviews)

• "Starting remotely has been difficult (no fault of Auto Trader of course)(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

60 Comments

Tech

234.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Auto Trader UK~505215
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "auto trader"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company culture and encourages progession

Aug 13, 2021 - Account Support in Manchester City Centre, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

From day 1 they ask you where you want to be and you have regular PDRs to work on this with your manager. The team is really friendly, we have a laugh but also want to make our customers happy and work hard. There are events where the whole sales and service department gets together for what's to come and also company conferences where you feel part of the wider business. The office is great, open plan and spacious, relaxed but buzzing. I had an 8 week induction where we didn't just focus on the job it included the history of Auto Trader, mindset, inclusion etc. The community around us is really important to Auto Trader and there are lots of fundraising events etc to get involved in. Even though I'm working from home I feel really connected to my colleagues who most I have never met. It's a very respectable environment, you don't have to take holidays for doctors appointments or tell your manager where you are every second, as long as you get your work done no one is bothered and in return people work hard.

Cons

The recruitment process was great and I had an interview with one of the directors which said a lot, however after I was offered the job it was about 3 months until I started.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear that despite the challenges lockdown has brought, your career has gotten off to a flying start, and you’ve built some great relationships with your manager and teammates. We’re glad that you enjoyed the recruitment process, and we agree that a three-month wait to start is quite lengthy. With some of our roles, we have set start dates due to the induction programme and that, coupled with candidate notice periods, means we’re unable to welcome people sooner. We take your feedback on board and consider this on our next recruitment drive in your area.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great company to work for

Jul 29, 2021 - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people - Can see opportunity - Values are at the heart of Auto Trader and its people - Great on boarding process

Cons

Interview process online (Not Auto Traders fault), this made it feel a bit more lengthy than it actually was and starting from home also was difficult (Again not ATs fault).

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that despite the challenges that lockdown has brought, you're off to a flying start! Starting a new role in the middle of a global pandemic has meant that you've had a very different experience from the norm, so we're pleased that things are getting back on track. We hope that you're able to spend some more time with your cohort and take advantage of our amazing new campus in Manchester.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic employer, forward thinking, supportive

Jul 14, 2021 - Resource Partner in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are what make Auto Trader, I work amongst some of the nicest people I have ever met. Everyone I work with is always so supportive and want you to do well, no question is ever a bad or silly question. You can rely on your colleagues for support and lots of people have built some great friendships here. Its a place you will never stop learning and success. If you want to develop your career it is a wonderful place to be, Auto Trader provide the foundations and support for just that and I am so glad I came here.

Cons

Never enough time in the day but it means always challenged and that is not a bad thing!

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our people are brilliant and it is great to hear that you have developed some great friendships. We have been putting a lot of focus on career development and we will keep growing in this area. As you say we will continue listening to each other and keep doing great things together as a work community.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company but don’t work as an account manager

Aug 5, 2021 - Graduate Account Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great company to work for, everyone who works there is really nice. The recruitment team are very supportive throughout the process (which is quite long - not a bad thing as they like to ensure they are recruiting the right people). The result of the recruitment process is that the people who work at Auto Trader do share the same values and I genuinely liked everyone I met there. The benefits are also great. If you are working at Auto Trader in any area other than sales, I would definitely recommend it.

Cons

I debated posting this because there are a few recent reviews from people on the graduate scheme who are very new to the business and their reviews show how much they are enjoying it and I didn’t want to seem like the only negative person. However, I really want people to know the environment of the sales department and specifically of the graduate role. You are encouraged to write a Glassdoor review almost as soon as you start, and initially you have great training so the job does seem really exciting. Some of my graduate cohort also wrote similar reviews at the start of their Auto Trader journey, and the majority have now either left or want to leave. The graduate role is nothing like the job advert, and management are refusing to change the advert despite people saying it needs to clearly state that it’s a telephone sales role, so I feel this review is the only place to hopefully let people know before they apply or accept the job. The environment you work in, alongside the fact that you probably don’t want to work in sales if you applied to this job, really grinds you down as it’s so micro managed and everyone is too scared to speak out. - Auto Trader operates on trust and transparency which is clear in other areas of the business but in sales it is very micromanaged. You are on a phone system, so managers are constantly tracking what you’re doing and it’s common to get messages asking why you’ve not made a call if it’s been 5/10 minutes since you were last on the phones, which makes you feel like you’re back at school. - The job is essentially a call centre - you’re expected to be on the phones almost constantly, trying to sell products to everyone you speak to. Management often say to stop speaking to certain customers because there is ‘no sales opportunity’ so we shouldn’t be wasting time trying to help them with their business. - Unrealistic sales targets that most people don’t hit. - Lots of staff leaving at the moment, or actively looking for jobs, which demonstrates the sentiment towards the sales department. - I was on the graduate scheme, for which the advert isn’t at all clear that the role is primarily sales based. This has been feedback given from graduates for a few years but management say that they don’t believe the advert needs changing, even though most of us have expressed to them that the advert wasn’t clear and we didn’t know it would be a sales job. Most grads don’t realise it’s going to be sales, and as a result in each year’s intake of graduate, about half the grads tend to leave. Out of the intakes since 2017, the 2019 intake is the only exception to this, but that’s purely down to the pandemic making job searching difficult, as can be seen by the fact that this year as things opened up, a few have already left. The job is on the phones all day, trying to sell Auto Trader advertising products, so a more realistic job title would be ‘Graduate Sales Executive’. - Dealers don’t like Auto Trader so you will often have difficult conversations, which makes it even harder to sell to people who already believe Auto Trader charges them too much and don’t want to pay anymore. Often these smaller dealers are really struggling for money so you feel bad trying to get them to spend more, but management still insist you need to sell to them. - Very difficult to move to another area of the business. On the graduate scheme especially, management are very against this and make it difficult for to move. In other departments across the business, managers are very supportive if you feel you want to move so there is a clear difference. In sales, if you ask to move, management refuse to consider it as an option, and you are ‘tarnished’, and very clearly treated badly afterwards as a result. This leads to people keeping quiet and just looking for jobs in other companies. - Management have clear favourites and treat them differently. They also single out people they don’t like, and treat them badly. - Auto Trader often talks about how much they want to help car dealerships, but in sales the attitude is very much all about money and hitting targets, and no one is allowed to care about the dealers, we just have to sell them things even if we know it’s not right for them or they can’t afford it. - The fact that the graduates dislike the role is fairly well known, although ignored by management. Senior management did put in a meeting with the graduates to discuss what the issues are, which was really appreciated. Unfortunately, the environment we work in means that everyone is far too scared to speak up because we know it will result in us being treated badly - by badly I would go so far as to say some employees have been bullied by managers as a result of them saying they’re not happy. The outcome of the meeting was that nothing changed because most people lied and said they were fine. - The one change that senior management did say to implement was for sales targets to be removed for graduates. This was completely ignored by the graduate manager as we were told ‘this is not possible due to the nature of the role’. - When you end the 2 year graduate programme, you automatically stay at the company which is good, but you just stay in the graduate role until a job comes up within sales that you apply for, and are successful in getting. This is really frustrating to know that at the end of getting through 2 years where you’re most likely unhappy, you aren’t guaranteed to get any form of promotion at the end. Some grads end up staying in the graduate role for a year after ending the 2 year scheme. Others end up taking a job they don’t really want just to have an actual role within the company. Overall, I would advise not to apply to be either a Graduate Account Manager or normal Account Manager. The environment grinds you down gradually, and you don’t realise how badly you’ve been affected until you’ve left it. The general advice is to get out of the company as soon as you can, because management won’t let you move department (many have tried, most haven’t succeeded) and if you speak out about how you feel, you will be marked out and treated badly. If you want to work in a call centre doing sales, then Auto Trader is a great company so definitely apply, but if not, please don’t apply!

5 people found this review helpful

Sales and Service Director

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts; I know you mentioned that you debated whether to post this or not, but I'm glad you did. I'm delighted to hear how you feel about Auto Trader as an employer and agree with your comments on the values and friendliness of our people. Your review covers several points, and I would like to address some of the key issues you have raised: Part of this programme is a telephone-based role in a sales environment, reflected in the advert and discussed at different stages of the recruitment process. We've made several changes to the advert over the years based on the feedback from our graduate community, and it's disappointing to hear that you feel that we haven't done enough. Still, we appreciate your feedback, and this is something I will review with the team. The retailer development and support (RDS) programme has been designed on a rotational basis, giving you the chance to experience each area. Building your skills in supporting different types of customers whilst allowing you to experience each area of RDS to help you decide where you would like to progress your career. We recognise that not every team will play to your strengths. I'm afraid I disagree with your point that there is little progression on offer at the end of the programme. There is a permanent role for you at the end of the rotations, bringing together all the skills you've developed. Like all Auto Trader colleagues, there is also the opportunity to grow your career and apply for other roles across the business. Our early careers team are a constant source of support for graduates on the programme, so I'm saddened to hear your comments about how you felt unable to speak up, and any mention of bullying is taken incredibly seriously. I hope that you were able to share this level of detail on your final discussion with our people team so we can look into all the points raised and I encourage you to contact me directly so I can share the steps we've taken as a result of your feedback. Regards Darren Moon

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Staff, Interesting Work

Jun 16, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Auto Trader is one of the larger UK eCommerce sites, and as such, is a great place to hone those programming-in-the-large skills. Plenty of friendly people, highly collaborative environment. Lots of different sub-projects and departments to interact with. At my time, there was a good emphasis on quality practices and tech - XP, Lean Agile, UX, TDD, Containers, CI/CD and more. The apprenticeships are well done.

Cons

Can be limited career progression, like at most software product companies. Once you are a senior dev, there's only so much more you can do. Only so many greenfield projects. Quite few purely technical promotions.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, culture and people!

Apr 12, 2021 - Account Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A fast-paced ever-changing environment is something you definitely expect in not only a constantly changing marketplace but a digital business. Auto Trader is adaptable to understanding, learning and changing which makes this place awesome and allowing people to have a voice, learn every day and speak to people you would never normally interact with in your day to day. Like with anything, you need to drive your own growth and development and put yourself out there. Although recognition is high, being entrepreneurial, creative and strategic helps you and the business at the same time. I don't think there are many businesses out there that you could work for and really make a difference every single day to both colleagues and customers. Managers do listen and will help you with vested interest and care and I found being very open and honest from the start has always done me well as the company knows what I need, and how to use my strengths while bringing up my weaknesses. The pandemic tested every business in the UK and Auto Trader proved to both its customers and its colleagues that it is here to support . You just cant ask for more when it comes to this.

Cons

Depending on what you class as progression, it can sometimes be difficult to move forward due to a lean environment but as I said, it depends on what you want.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The satisfaction you take from your role is evident, and it's fantastic to hear about the impact you have on our customers. Keep up the good work!

7. 5.0

Best place to work!

Mar 28, 2021 - Test Engineer in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was quite unconfident in my ability before I started at Auto Trader but they definitely boost your self esteem and make you believe that you can do anything you set your mind on. Everyone is super supportive and encouraging of your development, with people always willing to help and new things to learn. My team are definitely open to using new technologies so they are not afraid of doing things in a different way, which brings a lot of opportunities as if you think something can be done a better way then they are all ears and you can definitely make a difference. The work balance is great, you are never expected to work overtime and there are a occasional socials and great benefits

Cons

Sometimes there isn't that much work that comes in as a tester and you have to find work such as improving current tests or expanding test suite, some things aren't urgent and so you have to have motivation to want to build on your skills and work outside your assigned tasks if you want to keep busy

Employer Brand Manager

It sounds like you've been on quite a journey over the past few years, so thank you for sharing your experience. The amount of comments we hear about our people's supportive and caring nature always makes us smile! Your review goes to show the difference an encouraging and collaborative environment can make. It sounds like you take the ebb and flow of software testing in your stride and use the time wisely by increasing your knowledge and improving things around you. If you feel like the balance needs addressing, I encourage you to speak to your manager so they can help.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company but Account Manager role is tough

Apr 4, 2021 - Account Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has taken great care in creating a culture of caring for their staff, they are forward thinking with lots of perks and nice offices etc. I would highly recommend working for Auto Trader in any other role than Account Manager.

Cons

My experience of working as an internal account manager was not what I expected, given my previous experience in similar roles. The reality is taking a lot of inbound customer support and retention calls a call centre environment. Unfortunately a high proportion of car dealerships dislike Auto Trader, meaning that Account Managers are are on the front line of taking a lot of anger. Selling to people in that mindset makes it a very tough job and it’s overwhelming to even the strongest of people. Being the primary touch point with the companies customers there isn’t much trust in the Account Management teams. Often being the last in the business to learn about big changes, so its difficult to have any real impact aside from hitting your sales targets. It does feel like they are treated as disposable, with high staff turnover. If you’re used to call centres the role could be right for you.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear your positivity for our culture and that you’d recommended Auto Trader as a place to work. I’m sorry to hear that your expectations of the role haven’t been met, and I’d like to offer another viewpoint on some of your comments. We have a diverse range of customers, all of whom have different business models, goals, and pain points. This means that our Account Managers handle various enquiries, and there are times when their resilience and problem-solving skills are key to a progressive conversation. I acknowledge that not every customer is satisfied 100% of the time, but we know most of our customers feel very positive about Auto Trader. Over the past 12 months, we’ve offered an unprecedented level of support to our customers, and we’ve received extremely positive feedback as a result. We work closely with the recruitment team to paint a transparent picture of the role, from the job advert and at each stage of the assessment experience. If you have any ideas on improving, I'd encourage you to contact the team or me directly. We hold ourselves to high standards regarding internal communication to communicate via multiple channels from weekly update emails, a weekly CEO video, and manager briefings. I’m disappointed to hear that you’re not getting the information you need, given everything that is in place. I hope that you feel encouraged by our open and collaborative culture to speak to me directly, as I genuinely would love the opportunity to understand your points further. Thanks for sharing and very best regards, Rebecca Clark

9. 5.0

A great place to work

Jan 26, 2021 - Graduate Business Analyst in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

After joining Auto Trader on the graduate schemes last year, and despite starting remotely, I am really enjoying my time so far. Some highlights below: - A large and supportive team of learning + development staff who deliver fantastic workshops and do a brilliant job - A genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion - Fantastic array of opportunities to grow outside of the day-to-day role - Everyone, irrespective of seniority, is approachable and friendly - It is an exciting and fast paced environment to work in - Great benefits and perks, such as a generous annual leave allowance and competitive salary - Leadership are transparent and have been quick to update us during the pandemic (I’ve known that shortly after a government announcement, an update will follow from the OLT within a matter of hours) - Support for working from home e.g. high spec monitor, desk chair etc. - An immensely knowledgable, industry-leading base of employees who always make time to share their support and mentor And many more pros...I look forward to building my career at Auto Trader.

Cons

- It can be hard to pin people down, especially remotely, given the amount of meetings / how busy everyone is. - Starting remotely has been difficult (no fault of Auto Trader of course). It can be slow to get started in role as a result of not being physically in the office and around the team

7 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You were faced with a unique challenge at the start of your graduate career, and it sounds like you've put your heart into making the very best of this situation. The resilience showed by our graduate cohort, coupled with the dedication of all the people who guide and nurture our future talent community, is a beautiful example of our culture. Dealing with the physical separation from our colleagues has been challenging, and inevitably we're all spending more time in meetings. We hope that you get to experience the buzz of the office and the joy of dropping by your colleague's desk and making things happen in the not too distant future.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to work

Feb 1, 2021 - Software Developer in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Auto Trader has helped accelerate my career substantially. There are a lot of opportunities in the company to work on the things you want to work on and learn what you want to learn or need to do your role. One of the best things about working at Auto Trader is seeing how much they care, and how they allow employees to bring attention to areas they care about. There are a number of guilds and groups within the company that help educate and increase awareness of issues that are important to them such as BAME, LGBT+, Sustainability and more. The company puts a lot of focus on charity work and encourages employees to volunteer or raise money for things they care about. It's great to work somewhere where you feel like you have the potential to get involved and make a difference to the wider world. There is a great collaboration culture at Auto Trader and development is often done via pairing. On top of this, in product and tech, there are fortnightly tech talks and team-specific knowledge sharing sessions - this really ensures that knowledge and understanding of products are shared and everyone is able to contribute to projects. There is also a great mentoring program within the company.

Cons

There can be a lot of meetings, which during Covid can be particularly draining.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. It sounds like you've dedicated time to develop your career and we're so pleased to hear that your hard work is paying off. We wish you continued success! Our diversity and charitable networks' work continues to be a massive source of pride for us, and we're excited to see what they have planned for 2021. Working from home has meant that we're spending more times in meetings, and we look forward to the day when we're able to return to the office.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 76 Reviews