Auto Trader UK "manchester" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "manchester"

Updated Nov 11, 2019

4.4
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather
Pros
Cons
  • "The company is rather fast paced(in 22 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "manchester"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"A Really Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

From a developer's point of view, this has to be one of the best web companies to work for in the North of England, and probably nationally. They have excellent, cutting edge tech (early adopters of cloud and containerisation), truly Agile practices, and pretty boundless ambition. The business is strong too, but one of the real cultural strengths is that they are very reflective, very aware of their weaknesses and... vulnerabilities and move fast to remove them. The culture is all-pervasive and mostly very positive. The atmosphere is overwhelmingly friendly, and from the top down it is a company run by, and for, real people. I really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone. The car industry is facing some structural headwinds which may hit them in the future but so far they seem immune. At the moment they are riding high, but there are some potentially very serious competitors out there.

Advice to Management

Stay uncomplacent.

Auto Trader UK2019-05-14
  2. "Best Company i've ever work for!!!"

Current Employee - Squad Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial mindset and everyone's ideas are never overlooked. Mature and collaborative environment to work in. There are many routes to progression and a lot of opportunities as long as you are prepared to work for them. I go to sleep on a Sunday looking forward to work the next day unlike with other jobs. It really makes a massive difference when you enjoy your job. Management is clear and concise allowing you... to crack on with your duties contributing toward the collaborative/entrepreneurial mindset this amazing company offers. The people are diverse but come together to create an amazing working environment. The company offers great benefits including pension scheme, private health care and other offerings dependent on your lifestyle and circumstances outside of work. Work events are great fun and have a good budget to ensure all staff are accommodated for.

Cons

The commute to Manchester. However, this isn't a negative of Auto Trader. The work space is amazing and being a digital business working from home is an option dependent on your department and manager of course. Sometimes you can feel isolated if you do work from home or are field based. Also hard work is sometimes overlooked and not rewarded as much as you's maybe like.

Advice to Management

Make sure to comment, reward and celebrate great work from the staff.

Auto Trader UK2019-11-11
  3. "Industry-leading, fast-paced company with a passion for people"

Former Employee - Performance Partner in Worthing, South East England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working environment, with the determination to be inclusive and nurturing to all. This ethos is true for their customers as well as its employees.

Cons

If you are a field based employee, as I was, it can be a little onerous to get to the Manchester Head Office. If you're Manchester based, it's a fabulous place to work.

Advice to Management

Employ more people with Motor Trade experience, as they will be able to talk to them, as your main customer, in the language that they can understand.

Auto Trader UK2019-07-19

"Not gonna lie, I’m so glad I’ve finally gone!"

Former Employee - Account Support in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for AT for 8 years & initially I can honestly say it was the beat job I have ever had. Then the company upped all it’s staff to Manchester & for me thats where it all went down hill. They do invest heavily in the offices which are amazing and their brand but their staff are an after thought.

Cons

At AT you are encouraged to develop, learn, get involved in new things and discover what your next career move is going to be. Unless you are friends with management, you are not changing roles within the company. Think about it, if a manager has got 1 member of staff stretched doing 2/3/4 jobs on a daily basis, they aren’t going to then around and say oh heres a nice promotion, no they’re gonna leave you doing that... until you can’t handle it (mentally) anymore & then it’s a case of, oh well lets stop your development, forget all your hard work, because you can’t cope. This happens all over the business in many different teams. Staff always get taken advantage of by managers. If you can make friends with managers, your sorted, otherwise enjoy your current job for the next 10 years! Don’t believe the figures that say 90% of staff love it hear, no, the vast majority of the 90% of staff don’t actually love it, they’re just terrified that if they’re honest, they’ll get in trouble over, which, once again happens all the time. They had a system called TinyPulse a few years ago that was anonymous & you could send feedback to management, that lasted about 3 months and then went. AT have a shed load of money. Incentives wise, 7/8 years ago, we had ipads as incentives, holidays, tickets, amazing stuff, now, it’s chocolate, beer, not very exciting. Also, if you’re asked to do over time, once you got paid for it, where as now, no extra payment, you get the time back, which is ok for some people, but I would rather get rewarded financially for helping the business out, not just getting my time back some other time. I can honestly say towards me leaving AT, I have never felt so worthless at work & cheated and let me reassure, I was not the only one.

Advice to Management

Stop painting this picture of ‘Auto Trader is the best’, let your staff have an anonymous opinion if you want them to be honest with you. Actually invest and deliver on promises with staff development & be proactive in thinking how is all this going to affect their mental health, their confidence & feeling of worthiness. Improve your rewarding, some people don’t drink, but others are struggling financially. Think... about it.

Auto Trader UK2019-07-04

"Great experience"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

In one word Auto Trader has been fantastic to work for. The interview process was quite long and I remember going through numerous stages, although this can seem a bit long-winded it is definitely worth it. You begin to understand why there are so many stages as the company really try to get to know you before making their decision. As a graduate who had to move to Manchester temporarily for the grad academy (a... 6-8 week period of training and learning about Auto Trader), the company looks after you very well and as nerve wracking as it was I was settled in in no time as all the other grads and people who worked at AT were so welcoming and kind. You really do start to feel as part of a team/family very quickly. It is rare to find a company that lives and breathes its values, however Auto Trader is genuinely a place that advocates their values from the heart and I am grateful to be working for Auto Trader.

Cons

The grad academy did seem quite lengthy for a grad who had to commute to Manchester every Sunday night (company expenses your stay and travel), however you learn such a large amount and make connections within the company that you wouldn't have been able to make if you would have gone straight into your role.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good and genuine work.

Auto Trader UK2019-01-16
  6. "The best job experience I've ever had"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

There are so many good things I could say about Auto Trader, I am not sure where to begin! - Everyone is friendly - Everyone is supportive - Everyone is actively working towards the same goal - It is a real team environment - Breakfast is provided daily, and sometimes the occasional lunch - Travel is also provided if you go to their Manchester/London office (if you are travelling from one office to the... other). - There is real community spirit

Cons

I don't think there was any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Auto Trader UK2019-01-04
  7. "Excellent Company, genuinely values-driven and care about their people"

Former Intern - Campaign Manager in Kings Cross, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

Strong emphasis on values, really care about their employees, very forward thinking in terms of culture, come across very genuine, trustworthy and transparent management

Cons

The London office is quiet compared to the Manchester one which might not appeal to all

Advice to Management

Keep being as friendly and welcoming as you already are

Auto Trader UK2018-10-13
  8. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No day is ever the same and that’s what I love about this place. At times it’s fast, very fast so you need to have an agile mindset but it keeps me on my toes and that’s what coming to work is all about to me

Cons

Working remotely does have its benefits but sometimes feel excluded from what is happening in Manchester office

Auto Trader UK2018-04-10

"It's a privilege to work for Auto Trader"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Builder in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to meet some fantastic people doing incredible things. No two days are the same Brilliant opportunity to work within the industry, an industry I knew nothing about before joining Auto Trader Auto Trader has incredible values and it's shown within the people I work with with and the people they hire. No hierarchy or red tape. Outstanding CEO who really cares for the business. State of the art offices in... Manchester and London

Cons

Sometimes have challenging conversations with customers so it can get stressful.

Auto Trader UK2018-01-17
  10. "Ok if you live in Manchester"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Quirky office set up, friendly employees, great benefits package, Opportunities to study and develop skills

Cons

Being centrally located in Manchester it can be a pain to get to if you're not from Manchester. Not much chance of progression upwards in the company, usually more sideways. Large turnover of staff over last few years.

Auto Trader UK2017-04-12