Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "manchester"

Updated 6 Oct 2020

4.4
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "manchester"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK part-time

Pros

Autotrader is the sixth Manchester based IT firm I have worked for and by far the best. They have a great agile and trusting approach to technology allowing developers to make good choices about how to approach problems. There is a large range of different problems and products to work on throughout the business. I get to work regularly with intelligent people and even after 20 years in IT I feel that I am still learning and pushed forward by those around me. I have been at Autotrader for over 5 years now, the longest I have worked anywhere, and have no plans to move on for the foreseeable future. The culture in the technology teams is important to me and I am pleased that the leadership team make decisions in these difficult times to try and maintain that collaborative culture.

Cons

Not always the most diverse teams but that is a problem with the whole IT industry (Autotrader is definitely better than anywhere else I have worked). Autotrader does seem to go the extra mile to address the bias, including getting involved in the earliest stages of education to start youngsters from all backgrounds getting interested in the industry. Hopefully these efforts will pay off and Autotrader will continue to build on the diversity they have currently managed to create.

October 7, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Good to hear you are enjoying working with us after 5 years and want to continue hopefully for years to come. Working in a collaborative way to solve problems, challenge each other and keep learning are all key elements of our culture which we try hard to maintain during these difficult times. The work our technology teams are doing with early careers make us proud but there is so much more still to do and contribute to the tech industry as well.

2. COVID-19

"Always striving for a more diverse and inclusive culture"

Current Employee - PR Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Auto Trader already has established networks within the company to represent and act as safe spaces for people spanning BAME, LGBTQ+, mental wellbeing, neurodiversity and environment. You're encouraged to get actively involved in any (or all) of the networks you are interested in, and the business seems committed to learning and improving its own practices to ensure a multicultural and diverse working force/ work culture. Many brands, especially in this current climate, are coming out to say they support diversity, however many fail in backing this up with action. I genuinely feel AT walks the walk as well as talks the talk. It is a genuine ally in D&I matters and has so many actions in place to deliver against this. Whilst the company is large with 100s of people, you don't feel like another cog in the machine. Its set up includes 'tribes' and 'squads' which splits the workforce into different, smaller working groups and allows for more individual development, whether career or personal-related. Auto Trader has really looked after its people during the COVID-19 outbreak. The offices in Manchester (HQ) and London are amazing! I'm looking forward to returning to them once lockdown restrictions further ease. The layout and interior design is very 'cool tech company' and designed to inspire creativity.

Cons

Very fast-paced but I find this exciting!

July 8, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our employee networks have been working tirelessly for the past six years, it is definitely not new to us, to create an inclusive culture so I am really pleased that your experience meets our aspirations. Recent events have made us reflect on our progress and we acknowledge that we need to do more. During this challenging time our work community has come together and our people have supported each other in truly heart warming ways. Communication when we are not in our offices can be tricky but like you say we need to work on it and improve it.

"Best Company i've ever work for!!!"

Current Employee - Squad Lead in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial mindset and everyone's ideas are never overlooked. Mature and collaborative environment to work in. There are many routes to progression and a lot of opportunities as long as you are prepared to work for them. I go to sleep on a Sunday looking forward to work the next day unlike with other jobs. It really makes a massive difference when you enjoy your job. Management is clear and concise allowing you to crack on with your duties contributing toward the collaborative/entrepreneurial mindset this amazing company offers. The people are diverse but come together to create an amazing working environment. The company offers great benefits including pension scheme, private health care and other offerings dependent on your lifestyle and circumstances outside of work. Work events are great fun and have a good budget to ensure all staff are accommodated for.

Cons

The commute to Manchester. However, this isn't a negative of Auto Trader. The work space is amazing and being a digital business working from home is an option dependent on your department and manager of course. Sometimes you can feel isolated if you do work from home or are field based. Also hard work is sometimes overlooked and not rewarded as much as you's maybe like.

December 6, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Going to bed on the Sunday looking forward to your working week is always a good sign. We will take your feedback on board around rewarding and celebrating all the great work that our colleagues achieve all the time.

4. "Great company to work for with a fantastic culture and incredibly talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuinely positive work environment, where people are willing to pitch in when needed. Great offices in both London and Manchester. The company has a lot of incredibly talented individuals to learn from. With the talent Auto Trader has, there is a lot of innovative and interesting work going on. There is a sense that senior management really care about its people and are always willing to listen to them. Salaries and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can take time to learn the Auto Trader way of doing things and you are expected to learn quickly due to the fast paced nature of the company. Prioritisation, as with most companies, can be especially challenging at Auto Trader. Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)

February 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

Many thanks for your review and great to hear you are enjoying your first year with Auto Trader. We got talented people in two great offices, get involved in innovative work and have some more great benefits. Our business is unique and we appreciate it is a challenge to learn the way we do things but hopefully like you say having supportive colleagues helps. The new coffee machines serving delicious coffees might have possibly created a mug issue so we will have to look into that.

"A Really Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester, England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

From a developer's point of view, this has to be one of the best web companies to work for in the North of England, and probably nationally. They have excellent, cutting edge tech (early adopters of cloud and containerisation), truly Agile practices, and pretty boundless ambition. The business is strong too, but one of the real cultural strengths is that they are very reflective, very aware of their weaknesses and vulnerabilities and move fast to remove them. The culture is all-pervasive and mostly very positive. The atmosphere is overwhelmingly friendly, and from the top down it is a company run by, and for, real people. I really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone. The car industry is facing some structural headwinds which may hit them in the future but so far they seem immune. At the moment they are riding high, but there are some potentially very serious competitors out there.

May 18, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience working with AT. Our excellent cutting edge tech combined with our authentic culture definitely make us a great place to work. We are sorry the Manchester location wasn't right for you and hope you are enjoying your next move. Make sure you keep in touch; our alumni always remain a part of our AT community.

6. "Industry-leading, fast-paced company with a passion for people"

5.0
    Former Employee - Performance Partner in Worthing, South East England, England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working environment, with the determination to be inclusive and nurturing to all. This ethos is true for their customers as well as its employees.

Cons

If you are a field based employee, as I was, it can be a little onerous to get to the Manchester Head Office. If you're Manchester based, it's a fabulous place to work.

August 9, 2019Resourcing Partner

Our community of remote workers spans the entire country, and we understand the challenges that come with being on the road. We looked at the way we were interacting with our remote workers and decided to take a different approach to strengthen the connection. It's lovely to hear you speak so positively about the working environment and how included you felt during your time with us. We're proud to have a presence in the North and South of England. Our headquarters are based in Manchester, and we have a smaller office in Kings Cross, London. We encourage colleagues working remotely to make use of both of the spaces, but appreciate that a lot of customer activity takes place in our Manchester office. As a digital business, we recruit people that are passionate about driving change across the automotive landscape, and we do this by designing, building and delivering innovative data products. Disrupting any kind of marketplace is always going to be a challenge, but we're incredibly confident in our colleagues and their expertise. We wish you the very best of luck in your new adventure and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

7. "The best job experience I've ever had"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

There are so many good things I could say about Auto Trader, I am not sure where to begin! - Everyone is friendly - Everyone is supportive - Everyone is actively working towards the same goal - It is a real team environment - Breakfast is provided daily, and sometimes the occasional lunch - Travel is also provided if you go to their Manchester/London office (if you are travelling from one office to the other). - There is real community spirit

Cons

I don't think there was any cons

February 11, 2019Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Your review makes us feel incredibly happy! We're so pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience and wish you well in the future.

"Not gonna lie, I’m so glad I’ve finally gone!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Support in Manchester, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for AT for 8 years & initially I can honestly say it was the beat job I have ever had. Then the company upped all it’s staff to Manchester & for me thats where it all went down hill. They do invest heavily in the offices which are amazing and their brand but their staff are an after thought.

Cons

At AT you are encouraged to develop, learn, get involved in new things and discover what your next career move is going to be. Unless you are friends with management, you are not changing roles within the company. Think about it, if a manager has got 1 member of staff stretched doing 2/3/4 jobs on a daily basis, they aren’t going to then around and say oh heres a nice promotion, no they’re gonna leave you doing that until you can’t handle it (mentally) anymore & then it’s a case of, oh well lets stop your development, forget all your hard work, because you can’t cope. This happens all over the business in many different teams. Staff always get taken advantage of by managers. If you can make friends with managers, your sorted, otherwise enjoy your current job for the next 10 years! Don’t believe the figures that say 90% of staff love it hear, no, the vast majority of the 90% of staff don’t actually love it, they’re just terrified that if they’re honest, they’ll get in trouble over, which, once again happens all the time. They had a system called TinyPulse a few years ago that was anonymous & you could send feedback to management, that lasted about 3 months and then went. AT have a shed load of money. Incentives wise, 7/8 years ago, we had ipads as incentives, holidays, tickets, amazing stuff, now, it’s chocolate, beer, not very exciting. Also, if you’re asked to do over time, once you got paid for it, where as now, no extra payment, you get the time back, which is ok for some people, but I would rather get rewarded financially for helping the business out, not just getting my time back some other time. I can honestly say towards me leaving AT, I have never felt so worthless at work & cheated and let me reassure, I was not the only one.

July 9, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. I agree with you that our Manchester office, like our London one, is amazing. I have to disagree with your views that our staff are an after thought. I appreciate you felt your experience was not positive but we consistently dedicate our passion and energy to our people. We have various ways to capture feedback which include our anonymous employee experience surveys. The results from the 91% of colleagues that consistently respond to our annual survey differ significantly from what you are describing. Like you say everybody is encouraged to learn , develop and get involved in new things. We launched our career framework to provide support for everybody to develop in your role and our vacancies are filled with internal candidates almost a third of the time through a transparent and fair process. Decisions are made collectively and not dependent on just one person's manager. We reward everybody fairly for the value they add and have many choices for added benefits depending on your own needs and preferences. Our events have moved away from just drinking and a lot of them are in the daytime and focus on our people's personal development and supporting our local communities; but we also appreciate that social time with colleagues is important and our people choose different ways to spend time with each other. Our well being is a focus of our people strategy and we have initiatives focusing on our physical, financial and mental wellness all year round that positively contribute to our health. Our Mental Health First Aiders and our Employee Assistance Programme are there precisely for the times our people are finding work challenging , whether that's due to things at home or in the office. We don't claim to be the best but we are proud of the business we have created and are determined to keep getting better. If you need to discuss any of the points further please contact me. I wish you success in your next employment and thank you for the eight years you dedicated to Auto Trader. Christos

9. "Excellent Company, genuinely values-driven and care about their people"

Former Intern - Campaign Manager in Kings Cross, England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

Strong emphasis on values, really care about their employees, very forward thinking in terms of culture, come across very genuine, trustworthy and transparent management

Cons

The London office is quiet compared to the Manchester one which might not appeal to all

Continue reading

"Great people, culture and values!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Moved away from a finance driven business to be driven by its values - I worked for Auto Trader for over 10 years and I've seen a lot of change in that time, but the last 2 years Auto Trader has undergone a huge cultural shift with its values at the heart of it. Small teams with focused areas of accountability, allowing for a level of autonomy for these non-hierarchical teams to deliver real value. Great new offices in London and Manchester. 2 huge floors, with all the facilities needed for a fast paced, digital company. A real focus on the people and making sure they're well looked after and provided with opportunities to progress their careers. Great people and friendly culture. Everyone's willing to help and support, and go the extra mile for those around them.

Cons

For some the speed Auto Trader works at can be overwhelming, though there's no pressure to work more than your daily hours, it is up to the individual to strike the right balance. Auto Trader has undergone a huge change in the last couple of years and is still changing regularly. This can be unsettling.

July 9, 2015Head of Resourcing

Thank you for your comprehensive review, we really appreciate you sharing your thoughts about working with us. The last two years have really helped our business evolve and we have exciting plans for the years ahead. But as you mention we always need to make sure we strike the right balance in whatever we do.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews