Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "manchester"

Updated 12 Feb 2020

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed(in 32 reviews)

• "The above together with the great offices and lots of great people make AT the best company I’ve worked for(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is rather fast paced(in 25 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "manchester"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company to work for with a fantastic culture and incredibly talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuinely positive work environment, where people are willing to pitch in when needed. Great offices in both London and Manchester. The company has a lot of incredibly talented individuals to learn from. With the talent Auto Trader has, there is a lot of innovative and interesting work going on. There is a sense that senior management really care about its people and are always willing to listen to them. Salaries and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can take time to learn the Auto Trader way of doing things and you are expected to learn quickly due to the fast paced nature of the company. Prioritisation, as with most companies, can be especially challenging at Auto Trader. Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)

Auto Trader UK2020-02-12

February 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

Many thanks for your review and great to hear you are enjoying your first year with Auto Trader. We got talented people in two great offices, get involved in innovative work and have some more great benefits. Our business is unique and we appreciate it is a challenge to learn the way we do things but hopefully like you say having supportive colleagues helps. The new coffee machines serving delicious coffees might have possibly created a mug issue so we will have to look into that.

"Best Company i've ever work for!!!"

Current Employee - Squad Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial mindset and everyone's ideas are never overlooked. Mature and collaborative environment to work in. There are many routes to progression and a lot of opportunities as long as you are prepared to work for them. I go to sleep on a Sunday looking forward to work the next day unlike with other jobs. It really makes a massive difference when you enjoy your job. Management is clear and concise allowing you to crack on with your duties contributing toward the collaborative/entrepreneurial mindset this amazing company offers. The people are diverse but come together to create an amazing working environment. The company offers great benefits including pension scheme, private health care and other offerings dependent on your lifestyle and circumstances outside of work. Work events are great fun and have a good budget to ensure all staff are accommodated for.

Cons

The commute to Manchester. However, this isn't a negative of Auto Trader. The work space is amazing and being a digital business working from home is an option dependent on your department and manager of course. Sometimes you can feel isolated if you do work from home or are field based. Also hard work is sometimes overlooked and not rewarded as much as you's maybe like.

Auto Trader UK2019-11-11

December 6, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Going to bed on the Sunday looking forward to your working week is always a good sign. We will take your feedback on board around rewarding and celebrating all the great work that our colleagues achieve all the time.

3. "Industry-leading, fast-paced company with a passion for people"

Former Employee - Performance Partner in Worthing, South East England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working environment, with the determination to be inclusive and nurturing to all. This ethos is true for their customers as well as its employees.

Cons

If you are a field based employee, as I was, it can be a little onerous to get to the Manchester Head Office. If you're Manchester based, it's a fabulous place to work.

Auto Trader UK2019-07-19

August 9, 2019Resourcing Partner

Our community of remote workers spans the entire country, and we understand the challenges that come with being on the road. We looked at the way we were interacting with our remote workers and decided to take a different approach to strengthen the connection. It's lovely to hear you speak so positively about the working environment and how included you felt during your time with us. We're proud to have a presence in the North and South of England. Our headquarters are based in Manchester, and we have a smaller office in Kings Cross, London. We encourage colleagues working remotely to make use of both of the spaces, but appreciate that a lot of customer activity takes place in our Manchester office. As a digital business, we recruit people that are passionate about driving change across the automotive landscape, and we do this by designing, building and delivering innovative data products. Disrupting any kind of marketplace is always going to be a challenge, but we're incredibly confident in our colleagues and their expertise. We wish you the very best of luck in your new adventure and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

"A Really Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manchester, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

From a developer's point of view, this has to be one of the best web companies to work for in the North of England, and probably nationally. They have excellent, cutting edge tech (early adopters of cloud and containerisation), truly Agile practices, and pretty boundless ambition. The business is strong too, but one of the real cultural strengths is that they are very reflective, very aware of their weaknesses and vulnerabilities and move fast to remove them. The culture is all-pervasive and mostly very positive. The atmosphere is overwhelmingly friendly, and from the top down it is a company run by, and for, real people. I really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone. The car industry is facing some structural headwinds which may hit them in the future but so far they seem immune. At the moment they are riding high, but there are some potentially very serious competitors out there.

Auto Trader UK2019-05-14

May 18, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience working with AT. Our excellent cutting edge tech combined with our authentic culture definitely make us a great place to work. We are sorry the Manchester location wasn't right for you and hope you are enjoying your next move. Make sure you keep in touch; our alumni always remain a part of our AT community.

"Not gonna lie, I’m so glad I’ve finally gone!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Support in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked for AT for 8 years & initially I can honestly say it was the beat job I have ever had. Then the company upped all it’s staff to Manchester & for me thats where it all went down hill. They do invest heavily in the offices which are amazing and their brand but their staff are an after thought.

Cons

At AT you are encouraged to develop, learn, get involved in new things and discover what your next career move is going to be. Unless you are friends with management, you are not changing roles within the company. Think about it, if a manager has got 1 member of staff stretched doing 2/3/4 jobs on a daily basis, they aren’t going to then around and say oh heres a nice promotion, no they’re gonna leave you doing that until you can’t handle it (mentally) anymore & then it’s a case of, oh well lets stop your development, forget all your hard work, because you can’t cope. This happens all over the business in many different teams. Staff always get taken advantage of by managers. If you can make friends with managers, your sorted, otherwise enjoy your current job for the next 10 years! Don’t believe the figures that say 90% of staff love it hear, no, the vast majority of the 90% of staff don’t actually love it, they’re just terrified that if they’re honest, they’ll get in trouble over, which, once again happens all the time. They had a system called TinyPulse a few years ago that was anonymous & you could send feedback to management, that lasted about 3 months and then went. AT have a shed load of money. Incentives wise, 7/8 years ago, we had ipads as incentives, holidays, tickets, amazing stuff, now, it’s chocolate, beer, not very exciting. Also, if you’re asked to do over time, once you got paid for it, where as now, no extra payment, you get the time back, which is ok for some people, but I would rather get rewarded financially for helping the business out, not just getting my time back some other time. I can honestly say towards me leaving AT, I have never felt so worthless at work & cheated and let me reassure, I was not the only one.

Auto Trader UK2019-07-04

July 9, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. I agree with you that our Manchester office, like our London one, is amazing. I have to disagree with your views that our staff are an after thought. I appreciate you felt your experience was not positive but we consistently dedicate our passion and energy to our people. We have various ways to capture feedback which include our anonymous employee experience surveys. The results from the 91% of colleagues that consistently respond to our annual survey differ significantly from what you are describing. Like you say everybody is encouraged to learn , develop and get involved in new things. We launched our career framework to provide support for everybody to develop in your role and our vacancies are filled with internal candidates almost a third of the time through a transparent and fair process. Decisions are made collectively and not dependent on just one person's manager. We reward everybody fairly for the value they add and have many choices for added benefits depending on your own needs and preferences. Our events have moved away from just drinking and a lot of them are in the daytime and focus on our people's personal development and supporting our local communities; but we also appreciate that social time with colleagues is important and our people choose different ways to spend time with each other. Our well being is a focus of our people strategy and we have initiatives focusing on our physical, financial and mental wellness all year round that positively contribute to our health. Our Mental Health First Aiders and our Employee Assistance Programme are there precisely for the times our people are finding work challenging , whether that's due to things at home or in the office. We don't claim to be the best but we are proud of the business we have created and are determined to keep getting better. If you need to discuss any of the points further please contact me. I wish you success in your next employment and thank you for the eight years you dedicated to Auto Trader. Christos

"Great experience"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

In one word Auto Trader has been fantastic to work for. The interview process was quite long and I remember going through numerous stages, although this can seem a bit long-winded it is definitely worth it. You begin to understand why there are so many stages as the company really try to get to know you before making their decision. As a graduate who had to move to Manchester temporarily for the grad academy (a 6-8 week period of training and learning about Auto Trader), the company looks after you very well and as nerve wracking as it was I was settled in in no time as all the other grads and people who worked at AT were so welcoming and kind. You really do start to feel as part of a team/family very quickly. It is rare to find a company that lives and breathes its values, however Auto Trader is genuinely a place that advocates their values from the heart and I am grateful to be working for Auto Trader.

Cons

The grad academy did seem quite lengthy for a grad who had to commute to Manchester every Sunday night (company expenses your stay and travel), however you learn such a large amount and make connections within the company that you wouldn't have been able to make if you would have gone straight into your role.

Auto Trader UK2019-01-16

February 11, 2019Resourcing Partner

Thank you for leaving a review. We are incredibly lucky to receive large numbers of applications for our graduate positions year on year. One of the things we want to offer all candidates is a positive candidate experience and the opportunity to understand who we are as a business. It's a 2-way process. We know that this takes time and we appreciate your perseverance! To hear about the support you have received since joining is pleasing. We incredibly proud of everyone that's involved in welcoming graduates to the business, we couldn't do it without them!

7. "The best job experience I've ever had"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

There are so many good things I could say about Auto Trader, I am not sure where to begin! - Everyone is friendly - Everyone is supportive - Everyone is actively working towards the same goal - It is a real team environment - Breakfast is provided daily, and sometimes the occasional lunch - Travel is also provided if you go to their Manchester/London office (if you are travelling from one office to the other). - There is real community spirit

Cons

I don't think there was any cons

Auto Trader UK2019-01-04

February 11, 2019Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Your review makes us feel incredibly happy! We're so pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience and wish you well in the future.

8. "Excellent Company, genuinely values-driven and care about their people"

Former Intern - Campaign Manager in Kings Cross, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

Strong emphasis on values, really care about their employees, very forward thinking in terms of culture, come across very genuine, trustworthy and transparent management

Cons

The London office is quiet compared to the Manchester one which might not appeal to all

Auto Trader UK2018-10-13
  9. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No day is ever the same and that’s what I love about this place. At times it’s fast, very fast so you need to have an agile mindset but it keeps me on my toes and that’s what coming to work is all about to me

Cons

Working remotely does have its benefits but sometimes feel excluded from what is happening in Manchester office

Auto Trader UK2018-04-10

May 8, 2018Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review. We're glad you feel this is a great place to be! It definitely does keep you on your toes, but it's great that you're enjoying the challenge. We appreciate that there are challenges around being involved in what's happening in the office when working remotely, but it's always great to see our remote colleagues in the office when they can be. We do have a number of events planned in the office over the year which you will hopefully have a chance to join at some point.

"It's a privilege to work for Auto Trader"

Current Employee - Graduate Account Builder in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to meet some fantastic people doing incredible things. No two days are the same Brilliant opportunity to work within the industry, an industry I knew nothing about before joining Auto Trader Auto Trader has incredible values and it's shown within the people I work with with and the people they hire. No hierarchy or red tape. Outstanding CEO who really cares for the business. State of the art offices in Manchester and London

Cons

Sometimes have challenging conversations with customers so it can get stressful.

Auto Trader UK2018-01-17

May 23, 2018Resourcing Partner

Thank you. It was good to read your review. We hope you're still enjoying working in a new industry and learning new things. There are definitely some fantastic people here, and with our collaborative working environment we're sure you'll get plenty more opportunities to meet and work with more.

Found 32 reviews