Auto Trader UK "working environment" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated Nov 11, 2019

4.4
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather
Pros
Cons
  • "The company is rather fast paced(in 22 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best Company i've ever work for!!!"

Current Employee - Squad Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial mindset and everyone's ideas are never overlooked. Mature and collaborative environment to work in. There are many routes to progression and a lot of opportunities as long as you are prepared to work for them. I go to sleep on a Sunday looking forward to work the next day unlike with other jobs. It really makes a massive difference when you enjoy your job. Management is clear and concise allowing you... to crack on with your duties contributing toward the collaborative/entrepreneurial mindset this amazing company offers. The people are diverse but come together to create an amazing working environment. The company offers great benefits including pension scheme, private health care and other offerings dependent on your lifestyle and circumstances outside of work. Work events are great fun and have a good budget to ensure all staff are accommodated for.

Cons

The commute to Manchester. However, this isn't a negative of Auto Trader. The work space is amazing and being a digital business working from home is an option dependent on your department and manager of course. Sometimes you can feel isolated if you do work from home or are field based. Also hard work is sometimes overlooked and not rewarded as much as you's maybe like.

Advice to Management

Make sure to comment, reward and celebrate great work from the staff.

Auto Trader UK2019-11-11
  2. "What an amazing place to work."

Current Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed. You can go as far as you want to go within the company if you put in the work. Super flexible company will accommodate every need to the best of there ability.

Cons

I have encountered no issues or feel there is nothing bad at this company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

Auto Trader UK2019-08-12
  3. "Industry-leading, fast-paced company with a passion for people"

Former Employee - Performance Partner in Worthing, South East England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working environment, with the determination to be inclusive and nurturing to all. This ethos is true for their customers as well as its employees.

Cons

If you are a field based employee, as I was, it can be a little onerous to get to the Manchester Head Office. If you're Manchester based, it's a fabulous place to work.

Advice to Management

Employ more people with Motor Trade experience, as they will be able to talk to them, as your main customer, in the language that they can understand.

Auto Trader UK2019-07-19
  4. "The best company"

Current Employee - Consumer Operations in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros are endless. I don’t think I would change anything about the company ethos or work environment. Auto trader is a fantastic place to work and I love having a job I like to go to. Leadership and management is amazing and the there are opportunities in which you can definitely fulfil your goals (even goals you didn’t think you had before working at auto trader). I’ve worked in plenty of businesses that value... money. But this company really understands people, values and culture.

Cons

The company is rather fast paced. Personally, I don’t see this as a negative.

Auto Trader UK2019-07-02

"Cons as well as pros"

Current Employee - Consumer Research Assistant

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A very nice work environment

Cons

People operations don’t take complaints seriously

Auto Trader UK2019-07-16
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, excellent benefits and progression opputunities

Cons

N o n e .

Auto Trader UK2019-01-30

"A damaging company with complete lack of support and transparency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Free fruit in the kitchens and coffee each day can't make up for the unrewarding work environment, poor salary and bad management, sorry

Cons

-Promised progression in interview however quickly realised that there was absolutely no progression in my role and we weren't supported by management when asked about moving departments, I was actually discouraged and told there wasn't anywhere I could move -Shot down for trying to implement new ideas, if you question ways of working and speak your mind, you will have a mark against your name -Very much a... clique-y company and office -Favouritism rules and they will do anything they can to drive people out that take a dislike to -Absolutely no loyalty to staff, doesn't matter how long you've worked there or how well you think you're doing, you can be out like a drop of a hat, the staff turnover is incredibly high and i was told this is 'nature of the business' so don't ever think your role is safe, because it isn't -We were made to attend regular business updates where we were constantly told how much profit the company was making but if your team fight for a just payrise, you won't get it, no matter how much you deserve it -The company take great pride in trying to tell everyone how much they care about mental health, however the reality is they don't care about you and treatment varies greatly depending on who your manager is. I got given multiple formal warnings from management when I was signed off for a short amount of time for mental health issues, which in turn, caused huge additional stress, instead of supporting me. They took great pride in trying to tick all the boxes on paper of what they had done to support (one of which is 'providing fruit in the office'- as this cures depression, which is clearly more important than actually giving the person in need actual real support and job reassurance) -When you first join, the office seems very cool, you think that novelty perks are the best thing ever- I did when I joined- but shortly after you start to see the fake facade unravel very quickly- there are a lot of unhappy staff here

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better, respect and support your employees, reward their hard work, don't lie to staff. My time at this company has had a lasting negative impact and I am glad to say I've moved onto bigger and better things , where I am encouraged to grow and be a valued member of the company.

Auto Trader UK2019-02-14
  8. "Amazing company for a graduate"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company really puts a lot of time and effort into training you as a new graduate employee. The "graduate scheme" is similar to other schemes in that it also spans two years but doesn't ask you to rotate around different departments and then to re-apply to continue working there. Instead, Auto Trader takes you on as a fixed employee from day 1 and there is no re-assessment at the end. You are part of the company... and family from the get-go. It's such a forward-thinking company who will listen to your opinion and really value you. Their working environment is fantastic and I am very happy working here.

Cons

I have only been in the company for a few months and as of yet I am still not to find any cons

Auto Trader UK2018-10-26
  9. "Fantastic company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Auto Trader is unique, everyone seems to work towards the same goals, there is no hierarchical structure that gets in the way of that, everyone is focused on making us the best digital automotive marketplace in the UK. There is a buzz around the office and staff collaborate and work very closely together to achieve better results. Management are pinnacle to the great working environment. I have been at Auto Trader... for a year now and I feel the same positive vibes that I felt when first walking into the office. It's a great environment to work in, it's no wonder we have won so many awards for the office itself but the people are obviously key to that, everyone is on the same page, wanting to work hard but make it enjoyable at the same time. It's a place that I can feel proud to work for, we do a lot of great work in the community and everyone has the chance to get involved no matter what you do within the company. Keep doing whatever you are doing because it works!!!

Cons

It's a fast pace environment so you just have to keep up which at the same time makes each day interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you've created a good environment where people can enjoy coming to work.

Auto Trader UK2017-07-23

"Great people, good company, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a negative review overall, but it is probably the perfect company to go to if for example you're a graduate or someone with less than 3yrs experience. You will learn everything you need to learn in software development best practises, setting you up for life. - they have a good set of values which help ensure that everyone is pretty great to work with at an individual level - for someone lacking... experience or expertise, the company provides an amazing environment to improve your skillset - very laid back friendly work environment. - flexible working hours to fit around your personal life. - you're never more than a month or so away from a free bar!

Cons

- trying to be far too lean on staff. Expectations seem to remain the same while they strip squads back to the bare bones and then wonder why work is of a lower quality and people end up frustrated. - senior management is more often than not a hinderance, whilst displaying contradictory values to the company. Messages between CEO and squads seem to completely change. - you can quickly learn all there is... technically to learn at the company, and then you end up stuck in your dayjob not learning anything new. Workload is too big to take time out yourself to experiment with new technologies, and there isn't a breadth of knowledge at the company to learn from. - there are a lot of buzzwords thrown around, which can get both tedious and a bit of a joke. - since the company floated, everything has become about squeezing every penny possible to keep the share price high. - To get promoted to management, you need to be a "yes" person that doesn't rock the boat. The second you start "trying to do the right thing" you know you'll be leaving the company within a year. - There is a clique in the senior technical staff which is impenetrable and omni-powerful based on decades of friendships and perhaps slightly outdated outlooks on the digital industry. The company could really benefit from hiring senior tech gurus from the likes of google etc to smash the clique apart.

Auto Trader UK2017-04-08