Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated 18 Sep 2020

4.4
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "AutoTrader"

Current Contractor - People and Culture in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK

Pros

Great people , supportive work environment

Cons

None so far, the leadership team have done their best in difficult circumstances

September 23, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We are all dealing with difficult circumstances and our people have continued supporting each other, living by our company values and giving us more reasons to be thankful for our work community.

"A truly amazing, supportive and dynamic company"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The main pro I can give to Auto Trader is its people. Having worked at AT for 5+ years on multiple teams, I have had the pleasure to work with many individuals across the business and what it really apparent and unique about Auto Trader are its people and the culture we have. We have such a talented workforce who are supportive and willing to help each other out and look out for each other. It's a truly collaborative workplace. Albeit we have not been in the office for some time now, our working environment is geared up to supporting our collaborative nature and nurturing creativity and ideas (90% of the walls are whiteboards so you can write anywhere! We have cars and vans converted into meeting rooms, colourful and open office space, breakout rooms, quiet spaces and multi-faith rooms to name a few). I can't imagine many other companies allow you to own your own development like AT do. Should you find yourself interested in how another team works or feel you have a keen interest in another area, you have the support from the company to help you develop yourself (mentors, workshops, the ability to chat to anyone in the canteen to ask them for advice). I can't speak for everyone here but my experiences with my managers has been nothing but exceptional. They have truly had my best intentions at heart and are very approachable and easy to talk to should I need to. Great benefits schemes and incentives. Volunteering days - 2 days a year (not deducted from your holidays) to volunteer. This can be from pre-selected organisations through our Benefacto partner or charities a little closer to your heart. To sum all this up. Auto Trader truly is a great place to work and I feel extremely proud to work here.

Cons

We are a large organisation and there is lots going on / to take in so don't be concerned if it all feels a little overwhelming at first (You'll soon understand it all!).

September 23, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Talented colleagues, a chance to own your own development, supportive managers and a great working environment sounds like a good summary of the reasons why we all enjoy working together. You raise a good point about new starters needing to take some time to figure out everything that is going on. Being curious and reaching out to colleagues and asking questions is the best way to go about it.

"Best Company i've ever work for!!!"

Current Employee - Squad Lead in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial mindset and everyone's ideas are never overlooked. Mature and collaborative environment to work in. There are many routes to progression and a lot of opportunities as long as you are prepared to work for them. I go to sleep on a Sunday looking forward to work the next day unlike with other jobs. It really makes a massive difference when you enjoy your job. Management is clear and concise allowing you to crack on with your duties contributing toward the collaborative/entrepreneurial mindset this amazing company offers. The people are diverse but come together to create an amazing working environment. The company offers great benefits including pension scheme, private health care and other offerings dependent on your lifestyle and circumstances outside of work. Work events are great fun and have a good budget to ensure all staff are accommodated for.

Cons

The commute to Manchester. However, this isn't a negative of Auto Trader. The work space is amazing and being a digital business working from home is an option dependent on your department and manager of course. Sometimes you can feel isolated if you do work from home or are field based. Also hard work is sometimes overlooked and not rewarded as much as you's maybe like.

December 6, 2019Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Going to bed on the Sunday looking forward to your working week is always a good sign. We will take your feedback on board around rewarding and celebrating all the great work that our colleagues achieve all the time.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Great work environment and culture. Lots of opportunities to work of a variety of projects.

Cons

Can be difficult to figure out career progression route after a certain point.

September 15, 2020Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Our culture and work environment is a testament to you and our colleagues. It’s a collective effort and it fills us with great pride when we think about how our culture has evolved and how it continues to develop because of our people. We encourage our employees to define their own career path at Auto Trader, so I understand that our non-linear approach to progression isn’t always clear cut. There is plenty of support available to help you define your career goals; I would encourage you to speak to your people leader or reach out to a member of our People team at AT.developyou@autotrader.co.uk

5. "Great company to work for with a fantastic culture and incredibly talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuinely positive work environment, where people are willing to pitch in when needed. Great offices in both London and Manchester. The company has a lot of incredibly talented individuals to learn from. With the talent Auto Trader has, there is a lot of innovative and interesting work going on. There is a sense that senior management really care about its people and are always willing to listen to them. Salaries and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can take time to learn the Auto Trader way of doing things and you are expected to learn quickly due to the fast paced nature of the company. Prioritisation, as with most companies, can be especially challenging at Auto Trader. Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)

February 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

Many thanks for your review and great to hear you are enjoying your first year with Auto Trader. We got talented people in two great offices, get involved in innovative work and have some more great benefits. Our business is unique and we appreciate it is a challenge to learn the way we do things but hopefully like you say having supportive colleagues helps. The new coffee machines serving delicious coffees might have possibly created a mug issue so we will have to look into that.

6. "The best company"

Current Employee - Consumer Operations in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros are endless. I don’t think I would change anything about the company ethos or work environment. Auto trader is a fantastic place to work and I love having a job I like to go to. Leadership and management is amazing and the there are opportunities in which you can definitely fulfil your goals (even goals you didn’t think you had before working at auto trader). I’ve worked in plenty of businesses that value money. But this company really understands people, values and culture.

Cons

The company is rather fast paced. Personally, I don’t see this as a negative.

July 3, 2019Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It sounds like you've jumped straight into Auto Trader Life and enjoying the challenge! Our career framework has been designed so that we drive our own success and growth. We encourage colleagues to set personal goals to stretch and challenge themselves, and it looks like you've wasted no time in doing just that!

7. "Industry-leading, fast-paced company with a passion for people"

5.0
    Former Employee - Performance Partner in Worthing, South East England, England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working environment, with the determination to be inclusive and nurturing to all. This ethos is true for their customers as well as its employees.

Cons

If you are a field based employee, as I was, it can be a little onerous to get to the Manchester Head Office. If you're Manchester based, it's a fabulous place to work.

August 9, 2019Resourcing Partner

Our community of remote workers spans the entire country, and we understand the challenges that come with being on the road. We looked at the way we were interacting with our remote workers and decided to take a different approach to strengthen the connection. It's lovely to hear you speak so positively about the working environment and how included you felt during your time with us. We're proud to have a presence in the North and South of England. Our headquarters are based in Manchester, and we have a smaller office in Kings Cross, London. We encourage colleagues working remotely to make use of both of the spaces, but appreciate that a lot of customer activity takes place in our Manchester office. As a digital business, we recruit people that are passionate about driving change across the automotive landscape, and we do this by designing, building and delivering innovative data products. Disrupting any kind of marketplace is always going to be a challenge, but we're incredibly confident in our colleagues and their expertise. We wish you the very best of luck in your new adventure and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

8. "What an amazing place to work."

Current Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed. You can go as far as you want to go within the company if you put in the work. Super flexible company will accommodate every need to the best of there ability.

Cons

I have encountered no issues or feel there is nothing bad at this company

August 19, 2019Employer Brand Manager

It sounds like you've settled into Auto Trader Life incredibly well, and it's great to read about your experience so far. The career framework has been designed to guide you throughout your career at Auto Trader, but as you've rightly mentioned, it's down to the individual. With this kind of approach, the sky's the limit, so we wish you the best of luck! Thank you for your review.

9. "Amazing company for a graduate"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company really puts a lot of time and effort into training you as a new graduate employee. The "graduate scheme" is similar to other schemes in that it also spans two years but doesn't ask you to rotate around different departments and then to re-apply to continue working there. Instead, Auto Trader takes you on as a fixed employee from day 1 and there is no re-assessment at the end. You are part of the company and family from the get-go. It's such a forward-thinking company who will listen to your opinion and really value you. Their working environment is fantastic and I am very happy working here.

Cons

I have only been in the company for a few months and as of yet I am still not to find any cons

November 21, 2018Resourcing Partner

Thanks for your review. We're really pleased to hear that your first few months have gone so well. We have invested a lot in our graduate scheme so it's wonderful to hear how you've had such a positive start.

"A damaging company with complete lack of support and transparency"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Free fruit in the kitchens and coffee each day can't make up for the unrewarding work environment, poor salary and bad management, sorry

Cons

-Promised progression in interview however quickly realised that there was absolutely no progression in my role and we weren't supported by management when asked about moving departments, I was actually discouraged and told there wasn't anywhere I could move -Shot down for trying to implement new ideas, if you question ways of working and speak your mind, you will have a mark against your name -Very much a clique-y company and office -Favouritism rules and they will do anything they can to drive people out that take a dislike to -Absolutely no loyalty to staff, doesn't matter how long you've worked there or how well you think you're doing, you can be out like a drop of a hat, the staff turnover is incredibly high and i was told this is 'nature of the business' so don't ever think your role is safe, because it isn't -We were made to attend regular business updates where we were constantly told how much profit the company was making but if your team fight for a just payrise, you won't get it, no matter how much you deserve it -The company take great pride in trying to tell everyone how much they care about mental health, however the reality is they don't care about you and treatment varies greatly depending on who your manager is. I got given multiple formal warnings from management when I was signed off for a short amount of time for mental health issues, which in turn, caused huge additional stress, instead of supporting me. They took great pride in trying to tick all the boxes on paper of what they had done to support (one of which is 'providing fruit in the office'- as this cures depression, which is clearly more important than actually giving the person in need actual real support and job reassurance) -When you first join, the office seems very cool, you think that novelty perks are the best thing ever- I did when I joined- but shortly after you start to see the fake facade unravel very quickly- there are a lot of unhappy staff here

February 21, 2019Resourcing Partner

We’re sorry you felt your experience at Auto Trader wasn’t a positive one. We are keen to address your points of concern and hope that our response provides you with some understanding of how we passionately continue to support our people. We provide various channels for our colleagues to give feedback on all aspects of our culture and environment including sharing ideas. Forums include our quarterly breakfast seminars with Nathan (COO/CFO) our annual engagement survey, squad radar updates, 360 feedback on management to name a few. Career progression and development has always been, and still is, a key focus. We are currently working on a digital solution to aid and support career discussions and development plans. Inherently in some areas, moving departments isn’t as easy as others, but we strive to continually provide opportunities for people to develop and broaden their skill set. Collaboration and peer relationships are pivotal to our inclusive culture. We’re saddened to hear that your experience of Auto Traders culture was not reflective of this and hoped that you would have utilised our various avenues of support to raise your concerns should you have felt this way, as we have spent a lot of time on developing our policies and procedures to ensure people are aware of clear routes to raise concerns. We do, however, dispute your view of our culture, in particular, reference to Mental Health support. We pride ourselves on a fair, unbiased and considered approach to all aspects of working life at Auto Trader. You draw a link between free fruit and “curing depression”, which diminishes and belittles our efforts to provide an environment which caters and supports peoples wellbeing. Complimentary fresh fruit is a clear example of the benefits we offer as part of our ongoing effort to create an environment which takes away those little pressures, from not worrying about having milk for coffee, to providing a healthy option for breakfast, to ensuring everyone can have a hot quality drink every day. By no means do we feel that these benefits have a direct correlation to mental health, but they do support people’s overall wellbeing. As with any commercial business, while wellbeing and support are at the forefront of our agenda, we do take a firm approach to managing poor performance or absence when we feel the individual is not taking every measure to improve their health or performance. We have various means of support before considering a formal warning. We continuously review and revise our benefits portfolio to ensure that they are, not only available to everyone but also relevant and useful. Benefits such as Private Medical health (medical history disregarded), Simply Health cash plan, Employee Assistant Programme 24 hour access with free counselling sessions, Mental Health First Aider access, significant investment in Mental Health awareness mandatory training for all people leads completed this spring, not mentioning our incredible provision of enhanced sick pay over and above the statutory entitlement. We are confident that any formal measures taken concerning absence would have been a considered decision and one you would have had the opportunity to appeal. As ever we welcome feedback but feel that this has an unfair representation of our culture.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews