Automattic Reviews

4.2
Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg
Matt Mullenweg
Pros
Cons
  • "Not so much a con, but rather a word of caution: remote work is not for everyone(in 7 reviews)

• "There are no cons that I can speak of(in 5 reviews)

"Supportive, flexible, progressive"

Current Employee - Human Resources Wrangler

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

So far everyone that I've come across has been really bright, helpful and friendly. There's a lot going on, so there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in interesting work. The distributed style of working is life-changing. It's a company that believes in something.

Cons

It can be a tough transition to distributed work if it's not what you're used to. Even having done a fair amount of working from home and remote working, being full time distributed was a shock to my system. So you have to use all of the support available to you to manage that, especially early on, along with the work itself.

2. "Good company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Automattic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy going environment, easy to move up if motivated

Cons

Upper management is sometimes hard to get along with

"Mobile Wrangler"

Current Employee - Mobile Wrangler in London, England

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best Company I ever worked! Working from home with your home office setup, a lot of benefits, unlimited vacation time. Lots of opportunities to work on projects across the company and expand your impact outside of your direct role. But most important is the people are smart, friendly, supportive and kind. I worked in different environments, startups, big companies, agencies, but Automattic is definitely the best.

Cons

For the first time nothing to write.

4. "Working with enterprise VIP clients to keep their sites going"

Current Employee - VIP Developer in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Automattic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team of deeply knowledgeable individuals. Always feel valued. Able to have a big impact and help make things better for clients. No commuting as fully remote. Set your own hours. Great compensation package.

Cons

Can be hard to remember to take time off.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer

I have been working at Automattic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with Automattic for more than three years and it's a great place to work. I have a lot of flexibility to choose my working hours, the people are terrific, and I've learnt so much.

Cons

It's growing quickly and there are lots of changes.

"Friendly with Good Intentions"

I have been working at Automattic full-time

Pros

Every year the entire company flies out to a Grand Meetup for a week, all expenses paid, as well as team meet up. The people are friendly and they care a lot about their employees welfare. Once inside you can see pretty much everything, very transparent and open.

Cons

it can be a difficult job, not everybody is cut out for remote work, and there aren't many junior roles

7. "One of the best"

Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Automattic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, very transparent, true autonomy and trust

Cons

Lots of turnover in leadership

"handler at wordpress"

2.0
    Current Employee - Handler in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Automattic part-time for more than a year

Pros

free coffee, free parking, and free chairs

Cons

micromanagement from management can be too much at times

9. "Great"

Former Employee - Wordpress Developer

I worked at Automattic part-time

Pros

Good for my learning code

Cons

There is not much events per years

10. "We are a globally distributed team and where you live doesn’t matter."

Current Employee - Network Wrangler in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Automattic full-time

Pros

BENEFITS Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family. Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte! We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning. Company-sponsored life insurance. Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid. WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary. Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years. We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe. Other benefits are specific to countries where we have employment entities (US, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, South Africa), and include health, vision, and dental insurance and matching retirement/pension contributions.

Cons

THE AUTOMATTIC CREED Iwill never stop learning. I won’t just work on things that are assigned to me. I know there’s no such thing as a status quo. I will build our business sustainably through passionate and loyal customers. I will never pass up an opportunity to help out a colleague, and I’ll remember the days before I knew everything. I am more motivated by impact than money, and I know that Open Source is one of the most powerful ideas of our generation. I will communicate as much as possible, because it’s the oxygen of a distributed company. I am in a marathon, not a sprint, and no matter how far away the goal is, the only way to get there is by putting one foot in front of another every day. Given time, there is no problem that’s insurmountable. This can become a problem if emotions and tasks become overenvovled; the insurmountable problem, aso a potential rabbit hole. Are your the rabbit or Alice?

Continue reading