Aviva Canada Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Aviva Canada President & CEO Greg Somerville
Greg Somerville

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • workload, work life balance, technology was dated (in 6 reviews)

• Cliques within the upper management of the organizations (in 5 reviews)

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aviva Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, work-life balance, office, employee benefits,

Cons

Slow, Old school, legacy systems,

2. "Claims Adjuster"

I have been working at Aviva Canada full-time

Pros

multicultural environment, friendly environment, good benefits

Cons

limited opportunities, disconnect between upper management and staff

Advice to Management

retain talent, consider work/life balance strategies for staff

"Typical Insurance Company"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aviva Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will have a stable job. There are predictable processes and employment tasks. The performance review process is systematic and no surprises.

Cons

There is a complete lack of thinking “outside the box”. The process are used to shackle any new ideas. The way to advancement is to wholly champion you’re supervisor’s views.

Advice to Management

Embrace new ideas and change the “silo” top-down mentality.

5. "Good Company to work for"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aviva Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex time, great benefits and time off

Cons

Sometimes development opportunities are limited

Advice to Management

Commit to developing your employees and they will stick around longer

"Clique"

I have been working at Aviva Canada full-time

Pros

When I started at Aviva, they had great benefits and retirement packages. It's a good place to start cutting your teeth on insurance, but don't spend your time sharpening them there.

Cons

The management is favourite heavy. If you're not part of their inner circle of favoured employees, you will stagnate in your position. At times, out right refused education as it was considered beyond the scope of your current position. Was frequently told "we have you right where we want you" when asked about advancement.

"Never been more depressed... When i get home i sleep ."

Current Employee - Front Line Claims in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Line Claims in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aviva Canada full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Upper management from RBC side very understanding and try to make positive change happen, but its uphill battle against old cheap penny pinching mentality.

Cons

Company share program is a joke, only allowed to put in 30$ per 2 weeks! cmon!
    Bonuses are small, even for high performers like myself. My current manager would not understand positive reinforcement if it bit him in his behind. But very quick to be negative! Small budget for everything unless VP or above. Raises are barely cost of living. I can go on and on but too depressed to even continue typing..Many employees from RBC side left because of new procedures and overall cheapness. Drug plan does not even cover weight loss medication nor ED medication . So cant lose weight from being depressed, and cant have relations with wife either from job related stress. Job caused me to gain weight but wont cover medications to help me lose the weight. THANKS.

Advice to Management

Be clear in procedures, invest more in staff. Reward your hard workers, stop taking them for granted. Stop being cheap. Little things like covering better medications make all the difference for some people...

8. "Worst company I’ve ever worked at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aviva Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours/work from home option is the only good thing about working at Aviva

Cons

Horrible leaders who don’t know how to lead, and who dont know how to do the right thing, can’t even thank their employees, we never even got our Canada 150 day gift and our team didn’t do any events while other teams did. Not valued at all. Women are pushed to the side and will never have advancement at the company as it’s a boys club. Roles and promotions only get created for the favoured people and anyone from the UK. Its all about politics at this company and who you suck up to. There is a serious lack of leadership and management from the top down. If you try to apply internally to move teams, people won’t talk to you anymore from the old team, if you even get approved to move. There is zero support for anything. It’s extremely clique-y as people only hang out with their teams and no one ese, I was refused money for education saying it wasn’t related to my role when it clearly was. They spend ridiculous amounts of money on unnecessary travel but won’t pay for employee’s education. There are huge inconsistencies between teams and managers. Their left hand doesn’t know what their right hand is doing. I didn’t develop any new skills there, actually feel dumber having worked there. People are unprofessional and rude, it is not a true team envinroment, people are treated horribly and with disrespect. There are also way too many meetings and no one respects anyone’s time and shows up late or not at all. You will only learn what not to do at Aviva and will not have a fulfilling job or career there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of many managers, leaders and people and create a new culture where people are treated right and are valued. The politics and favourtism is appalling.

9. "Manager"

I worked at Aviva Canada full-time

Pros

Aviva has a great culture.

Cons

At the time, some management made for an unpleasant work experience.

"Run away quickly from this place."

I have been working at Aviva Canada full-time

Pros

Co workers are great, lots of community spirit

Cons

Executive is all male. If you are female and ambitious, run from this organization. It is the old boys club notwithstanding the rhetoric from HR and London Head Office

Advice to Management

Move into the 21st century with real diversity being a core value. Talk is cheap, People are looking at what you do

"Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Law Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aviva Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Admin staff are generally friendly, will help each other out

Cons

poor management; age discrimination; no room for growth; poorly compensated; as long as you say very little and don't mention ways that the company can improve itself, this is the place for you; open concept: too loud and very hard to concentrate on work

Advice to Management

When you hire staff, tell them that the work is legal assisting and not law clerking; management should be a 50/50 split for lawyers and assistants; hiring too many young staff, there should be junior, intermediate and a senior balance of employees for both lawyers and legal assistants; when situations arise - deal with them as soon as possible; need to use better legal software and get with the times; if the company does not fix things in management - it results in the company having a poor reputation