Aviva Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No professionalism amongst senior management team (in 17 reviews)

• Holiday benefits and work life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Hostile Takeover"

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it was Friends Life it was great.

Cons

Corporate takeover, wanted less experienced workers for a lot less pay

Advice to Management

Put the customer first, not the money you could save. Hire and retain Quality Employees

2. "Enjoyable."

Pros

Strong foundations, good place to work at. Friendly atmosphere. Support provided for queries and always options to help you succeed

Cons

Perhaps put the customer at the forefront a little too much in favour of other directives.

Advice to Management

Be stronger

3. "Good benefits but get used to constant cost cutting and redundancies"

Pros

Salary, Bonus and DC Pension (due to the company contribution) are goods as well as share option schemes that you can join

Cons

Always cost cutting, regular redundancy rounds (just going through it again) and lots of large organisation red tape hold productivity back.

5. "Returning Employee. Aviva has changed so much!"

Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England
    Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was fair, relaxed and transparent. Whilst I was not successful for the role I had initially applied for, they did what most companies who say they'll keep your cv on file fail to do. They actually contacted me back within days and asked me to come in for an informal chat with a manager about a different role. Aviva seem to bend over backwards to get the right people on board, even if they had been initially unsucessful. The Aviva of 8 or so years ago probably would not have done this.

Whilst a lot of the IT systems are still very much outdated on the front-end, there has been a lot of investment in the few years I have been away to create modern interface tools to simplify the end-user experience. Overall the systems are now about as easy to use as other insurers I have worked with.

There is a lot of flexibility in certain business areas to choose a full-time working pattern that fits with personal/family commitments. Whilst you can still work 9-5 if you choose, you can for instance, choose a pattern of 3 x 12 hour shifts per week, leaving 4 days off. This is pure gold for people with families and seems to be very popular.

There is a big emphasis now on customer experience. Every member of staff has equality of opinion as far as systems and processes go. If you feel something can be done better for the good of the customers, you are actively encouraged to let it be known.

Cons

Naturally due to the size of the company, there are a number of layers to the organisational structure. As such, it can be difficult to see immediate effects of feedback both to and from management. I haven't been back with Aviva to make specific comparisons with prior experience, however it must be said that any huge company will have some communication issues with staff.

Advice to Management

Overall, Aviva is seeing the fruits of sustained efforts over the last 5 or so years to streamline the core business and make themselves easy to deal with.

It was initially difficult to make the choice to apply for a role and come back. The redundancies of 2013 of which I was a part of was not pleasant at the time. But time certainly changes one's perspective and I am glad I have come back. The whole company seems much more positive and forward thinking now, and this is translating into excellent performance results.

My advice to management is do not forget the journey we have been through in the last 5 years. Remember what has now made us the top choice for life and general insurance and keep up the forward momentum we have at present.

"Lack of teamwork culture"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pension contribution, good brand to have in the cv, digital investments, benefits, customers focused

Cons

Bad management, too many management layers, people are not willing to share, lack of team culture, very little opportunities for career progression, neverending restructuring process

Advice to Management

Learn to manage, promote teamwork, listen, create opportunities for talents

7. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Grimsby, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Grimsby, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex time , Family time, Holidays

Cons

Bad Management, Underhand, Secrets, Culture

Advice to Management

Be more open

8. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in York, England
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in York, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very understanding and supportive managers. no ridiculous targets

Cons

Low pay
    Progression isn't great

Advice to Management

Listen to staff more

9. "Senior Solution Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Designer in Perth, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Designer in Perth, Scotland

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Parking, Flexible Work From Home, Training on a wide range of topics, Canteen

Cons

Bureaucratic, hierarchical management, legacy projects and technology, poor communication, far too many pointless meetings, remote area, inability to use tools used in rest of industry and forced to use what is available

Advice to Management

Role rotation, change outdated methods and culture

10. "Fantastic place to work."

I have been working at Aviva full-time

Pros

- Diverse and friendly atmosphere.
    - Superb location, right in the financial district.
    - Ease you into your role with help and advice available at all times.

Cons

- Can occasionally ask for overtime with little notice, however this has only happened once in a blue moon and they're not forceful over it.

Advice to Management

- Perhaps give more of a heads up over upcoming overtime/extra work, but apart from that a really great place to work in.

11. "Data Analyst"

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance.

Employees are well-trained, to a high standard and competent in their respective roles.

Good place to gain knowledge and understanding of the insurance industry.

High job security

Cons

Lack of career opportunities.

Poor salary, even for experienced long-term employees.

Use of archaic software, computer systems.

Struggles to hold onto talent.

Advice to Management

Management seems preoccupied with squeezing higher profits from their current long-term customers, rather than making positive business decisions to grow their customer base. It is difficult to obtain the best from your employees, if they only have profit oriented goals to work towards and never gleam tangible benefits from the accomplishment of these goals.