Aviva Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Technical consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of variety and good benifits

Cons

Impersonal management and constant change. Generally need to apply for your job every 18 months to 2 years

2. "Good, solid company, but sometimes not nimble enough; has created too many big hubs"

Former Employee - Volunteering After Voluntary Redundancy in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reputation, training, solvency, product range

Cons

Seen as inflexible, has lost regional presence, loss of expertise in recent years due to down-sizinhg

Advice to Management

Reverse some of the above and revert to core values

3. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Aviva part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other colleagues, who were lovely

Cons

management, job, pretty much everything

Advice to Management

stop treating your staff like pawns instead of human people

5. "Don't appreciate dedicated employees"

Former Employee - Generalist in Stoke Gifford, England
    Former Employee - Generalist in Stoke Gifford, England

I worked at Aviva part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and team leaders

Cons

Employees are just a number now Aviva have taken over

Advice to Management

Retain your dedicated employees and get rid of the 'dead wood', don't dismiss just because employees just because they work less than 21 hours, who thought of that idea?

"Hostile Takeover"

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it was Friends Life it was great.

Cons

Corporate takeover, wanted less experienced workers for a lot less pay

Advice to Management

Put the customer first, not the money you could save. Hire and retain Quality Employees

7. "Enjoyable."

Pros

Strong foundations, good place to work at. Friendly atmosphere. Support provided for queries and always options to help you succeed

Cons

Perhaps put the customer at the forefront a little too much in favour of other directives.

Advice to Management

Be stronger

8. "Good benefits but get used to constant cost cutting and redundancies"

Pros

Salary, Bonus and DC Pension (due to the company contribution) are goods as well as share option schemes that you can join

Cons

Always cost cutting, regular redundancy rounds (just going through it again) and lots of large organisation red tape hold productivity back.

9. "Returning Employee. Aviva has changed so much!"

Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England
    Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was fair, relaxed and transparent. Whilst I was not successful for the role I had initially applied for, they did what most companies who say they'll keep your cv on file fail to do. They actually contacted me back within days and asked me to come in for an informal chat with a manager about a different role. Aviva seem to bend over backwards to get the right people on board, even if they had been initially unsucessful. The Aviva of 8 or so years ago probably would not have done this.

Whilst a lot of the IT systems are still very much outdated on the front-end, there has been a lot of investment in the few years I have been away to create modern interface tools to simplify the end-user experience. Overall the systems are now about as easy to use as other insurers I have worked with.

There is a lot of flexibility in certain business areas to choose a full-time working pattern that fits with personal/family commitments. Whilst you can still work 9-5 if you choose, you can for instance, choose a pattern of 3 x 12 hour shifts per week, leaving 4 days off. This is pure gold for people with families and seems to be very popular.

There is a big emphasis now on customer experience. Every member of staff has equality of opinion as far as systems and processes go. If you feel something can be done better for the good of the customers, you are actively encouraged to let it be known.

Cons

Naturally due to the size of the company, there are a number of layers to the organisational structure. As such, it can be difficult to see immediate effects of feedback both to and from management. I haven't been back with Aviva to make specific comparisons with prior experience, however it must be said that any huge company will have some communication issues with staff.

Advice to Management

Overall, Aviva is seeing the fruits of sustained efforts over the last 5 or so years to streamline the core business and make themselves easy to deal with.

It was initially difficult to make the choice to apply for a role and come back. The redundancies of 2013 of which I was a part of was not pleasant at the time. But time certainly changes one's perspective and I am glad I have come back. The whole company seems much more positive and forward thinking now, and this is translating into excellent performance results.

My advice to management is do not forget the journey we have been through in the last 5 years. Remember what has now made us the top choice for life and general insurance and keep up the forward momentum we have at present.

"Lack of teamwork culture"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pension contribution, good brand to have in the cv, digital investments, benefits, customers focused

Cons

Bad management, too many management layers, people are not willing to share, lack of team culture, very little opportunities for career progression, neverending restructuring process

Advice to Management

Learn to manage, promote teamwork, listen, create opportunities for talents

11. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Grimsby, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Grimsby, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex time , Family time, Holidays

Cons

Bad Management, Underhand, Secrets, Culture

Advice to Management

Be more open